It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

China building first vessel for underwater archaeology

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 25 2012 @ 11:04 PM
link   
Although some COULD consider this should not be applied to this forum, I humbly and respectfully suggest this does belong here due to what it may yield to us in the coming years.

According to the article China building first vessel for underwater archaeology, this vessel will be able to assist greatly in Underwater Exploration

BEIJING, Oct. 24 (Xinhua) -- China plans to build its first vessel capable of retrieving archaeological findings from the sea by the end of 2013, a major step to strengthening the underwater search abilities of Chinese archaeologists who currently rely on rented shipping boats.

The 4.8-metre wide and 56-metre long boat, to be powered by an integrated full electric propulsion system, will "basically" meet China's underwater archaeological needs, according to a statement released by the State Administration of Cultural Heritage (SACH) on Wednesday.

With a displacement of 860 tonnes, the vessel will be used in China's coastal areas and could sail as far as waters off the Xisha Islands, or the Paracel Islands, in the South China Sea, if sea conditions are good, it said.

Archaeologists will be able to use the ship to detect, locate, map, videotape and excavate underwater archaeological findings, according to the SACH.

The vessel is being designed by the 701 research institute of China Shipbuilding Industry Corporation and built by the Changhang Dongfeng shipbuilding corporation in Chongqing.

The news will be a boon for Chinese archeologists who have long struggled with the inconvenience of having to ride fishing boats along China's 18,000 km-long coastline in order to uncover the country's massive quantities of underwater relics.

Many speculators and fishermen have joined this hunt for treasures in the South China sea, a busy sea lane which is said to have at least 122 wrecked ships on its bottom.

Many of the wrecked ships date back to the Tang (618-907) and Song (960-1276) dynasties, when China's trade with foreign countries was thriving.

Many speculators and local fishermen surveying the area have used crude means to retrieve underwater relics, prompting authorities to take action.

The protection of China's underwater relics faces "severe challenges" from rampant looting of underwater relics, the SACH said in the statement, adding that the country needs to improve its talent tool of archaeologists and related facilities.

It will be interesting to see if "sister vessels" will be produced, and used elsewhere. The Black Sea, Mediterranean Sea, along with the Coastal areas off Japan and India would be other areas a craft as this would be useful.

Ciao

Shane

posted on Oct, 25 2012 @ 11:25 PM
link   
Nice Post but,

I'm thinking this vessel will be used for more than just historical discovery.

Oil? Gas? And whatever else of value?

Perhaps they'll start their scientific expeditions of 'discovery' in the high arctic...just in case there are ancient roads near the REAL valuable discoveries there.

Just a thought.

Peace

posted on Oct, 26 2012 @ 12:06 AM
link   
reply to post by jude11

I was thinking the same thing...

While im sure they would use it for oil and gas the one obstacle is going to be laying claim to the area first.. I can see them using this as a way to bolster their claims. If they start pulling up Chinese relics they can easily argue its Chinese territory.

With that being said I really hope its used only for scientific research.

posted on Oct, 26 2012 @ 05:57 AM
link   
Who wants to bet me they send this ship to those disputed islands and find a heap of Chinese artifacts going back 1000's of years.

Anyone who wants to take the negative Ill give 5-1 odds to

Edit: LOL only 5 posts and I missed the one that basically said the same thing as me,
Ignore this post please............. or give me a star for being honest
and also for being stupid
edit on 26-10-2012 by IkNOwSTuff because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 26 2012 @ 11:34 AM
link   
Really? Underwater Archeology? Why would they divert from copy pasting to archaeology all of a sudden or invest money in a undersea archeology vessel? Could it also be a cover up for undersea military activities or remain close to shores of countries in the name of archaeology with surveillance and/or snooping technology? Just throwing it out there.

posted on Oct, 26 2012 @ 12:14 PM
link   
reply to post by hp1229

They've had a robust archaeology community for some time and before that Europeans did some work there. I could see why they would build such a ship but I would suspect it would be capable of dual use

posted on Oct, 26 2012 @ 04:20 PM
link   
The way i read the article is that this ship will be for excavating shipwrecks, not formerly landbased settlements and other traditional "archaeological" endeavors.

posted on Oct, 26 2012 @ 05:34 PM
link   
reply to post by bigfatfurrytexan

There are thousands of wrecks along the Chinese coast and no easy way to get to them, Scuba and underwater archaeology has come late to the awaking middle kingdom

posted on Oct, 26 2012 @ 06:21 PM
link   
reply to post by Xcathdra

If you considered the Article, this vessel is Electric and an expressed implication seems to be waves.

I somehow do not think this vessel will be making Arctic Voyages.

No offense intended.

Ciao

Shane

posted on Oct, 26 2012 @ 07:50 PM
link   
As Hanslune has noted, there are many wrecks in the waters off China. Many which may also not be Chinese Vessels.

Look to today, as evidence supports the notion these waters did prove to be difficult to navigate, due to Hurricanes alone. (sorry Typhoons
)

And think of the Trade of various periods. Ming Vases could be strewn in holds of vessels.

Now, who is best suited to claim them, but China itself.

I get the concerns noted, since these people are quite sly in doing things and have garnered a reputation that is merited to apply, but they have also led in the field of Archaeology, and the study of Dinosaurs, as an example. The finds presented to mankind as a whole have been amazing.

Then their Ancient Past is also being presented in a stunning fashion, such as the Clay Army they are still uncovering.

As for Oil exploration in the Arctic, I kind of find that humorous. Think about it.

pause for effect

A People with a standing army of 200 Million Men which can Mobilize almost immediately, really doesn't need to invest in exploration and the infrastructure when they can simply march into the Middle East and take it over in mere days. Taadaa, Oil a plenty at no cost to them.

Ciao

Shane

P.S. Pure speculation on my part, but more sense than developing Esso's Oil Fields in the Arctic.

edit on 26-10-2012 by Shane because: speling

posted on Oct, 26 2012 @ 08:03 PM
link   
Hey Shane

Just a comment of the Chinese military. It would take them more than a few days to get to the middle-east - the transportation links in that area are poor and the best route would be thru central Asia and Iran, the Russians and Iranians - not the mention the Central Asians might object to that. They do have 3 million active military men and another 1.5 million in reserves and paramilitary - but moving that mass and supplying them would be beyond their ability actually nobody in the world could do that now without mobilizing

Well back on subject!

posted on Oct, 26 2012 @ 08:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Hanslune

Horses my friend. Horses.

But I digress into the speculation.

The main hope is they are able to construct the vessel, and utilize it as intended with the end game being valued artifacts becoming displayed for all to view, personally.

I would guess 2014, will tell that tale.

Ciao

Shane

top topics

join