It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"Gardening with Laura" BCOFR

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+6 more 
posted on Oct, 25 2012 @ 11:00 PM
link   
I am creating this thread to be an information resource for the segments I do on the Bushcraftonfire Radio show called "Gardening with Laura".

These segments are meant to be thought provoking, informative sets that give helpful tips for planning, planting, caring for and enjoying your home garden. They include means to naturally fertilize your garden, how to compost, how to winter your vegetables and much much more that has to do with living naturally and off the land.

Because I do alot of research for each of these segments, I review and read many websites and written articles to glean the most I can to present to our audience. I truly believe in giving credit to the people who provided the massive information I review, and I wanted to do so in one place so people who are truly interested in learning more can do so.

Enjoy.

BT

AUTUMN GARDEN COMPOSTING 2012
Mother Earth News Magazine (multiple issues) also available on their website

AUTUMN SQUASH AND PUMPKIN SEEDS
Mother Earth News Magazine also available on their website

CAST IRON COOKWARE
whatscookingamerica.net...

FALL AND WINTER GARDENING PART 1
www.humeseeds.com...
www.victoryseeds.com...

Previous show segments done live:
MAKE YOUR OWN VINEGAR AT HOME

PERINNEAL HERBS

CATTAIL GREEN COBS

YELLOW DOCK SEED CRACKERS

THE LACTO-FERMENTATION PROCESS (REAL PICKLES)

CULTURE YOUR CUKES: LACTO-FERMENTATION PICKLES

BLACK WALNUT TOXICITY TO PLANTS, HUMANS AND HORSES

PURSLANE: GOURMET WEED

GRANDPAPPY'S PEMMICAN RECIPE

edit on 25-10-2012 by BearTruth because: spelling

posted on Oct, 26 2012 @ 09:04 AM
link   
reply to post by BearTruth

Thanks for posting these links. I have never had the opportunity to listed to the radio show in the past but I will definitely try to do so in the future. There are valuable skills that many people overlook.

posted on Oct, 26 2012 @ 12:54 PM
link   
reply to post by Sparky63

You are most welcome.

I agree that these skills are valuable. If you learn how to do these things, and actually try them, you will always have that skill if you shold ever need it, and it could come in very very handy if you every need to be totally self sufficient.

BT

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 07:48 PM
link   
Laura I am so happy to see your information in a thread of its own! Excited to be more exact! Congrats and thank you so very much for all the work you have put into your segments. I look forward to more entries.

posted on Dec, 20 2012 @ 06:02 PM
link   
Well, it is time for me to update this thread a bit. So for your perusal here are some more additions:

Tis the Season - Peppermint, Ginger & Sweet Potatoe

www.ehow.com...

www.ehow.com...

www.ehow.com...

Refer to these websites to learn about how to grow your own Peppermint, Ginger and Sweet Potatoe plants at home!

BT

posted on May, 9 2013 @ 03:54 PM
link   
The source material I utilized for todays BushcraftonFire Radio Show is:

Vertical Gardening Techniques for Maximum Returns
authored by Barbara Pleasant

www.motherearthnews.com...

BT

posted on May, 9 2013 @ 04:00 PM
link   

Thanks so much!

I can't wait (though I have to, until planting season here) to get a bit more self-sufficient food-wise.

posted on May, 9 2013 @ 04:11 PM
link   

Yams are natures own garden remedy for menopause. They have the highest amount of progesterone and women in S.America have known this for centuries, they never have to take hormone supplements. I grow both sweet potato and yam!

Great to see this thread.

posted on May, 9 2013 @ 11:45 PM
link   
reply to post by Gazrok

Well, I can tell you right now, if you have a corner in your home where you have adequate light, and you are able to keep the soil moistened as needed, you can grow many things, even in the off season.

If you are a potato lover, you can grow potatoes in compost soil in a plastic garbage can that has holes in the bottom for drainage.

If you love fresh salad and herbs, you can literally grow them in a window box. Tomatoes and peppers also.

Where there is a will, there is a way. And you can jumpstart your growing season, by starting your seeds indoors 2-4 weeks early.

BT

posted on May, 9 2013 @ 11:48 PM
link   
reply to post by antar

Antar, thank you for that information. I have read it before, but at the time, I didn't feel I needed it yet.

LOL time creeps up on us all.

I think it is time that more of us used the bounty of nature, and the knowledge of our past to regain our health and vigor!

I definitely will add yams and sweet potatoes to my garden.

BT

posted on May, 10 2013 @ 08:38 AM
link   

Yep, but at least it gives me time to prep and build the raised beds, and get the rest of the fencing up for it (and get another gate).

I've definitely got the room, but trying out a fairly small area first (about 20' x 30'). For now, working on getting an orange tree planted, and some more pineapple in the ground.

With a pretty big "to do" list, I'll certainly prioritize based on best time to do things.

posted on May, 23 2013 @ 07:06 PM
link   
For tonight's Bushcraftonfire Radio show's Segment: How Plants Protect themselves, I utilized the article "HOW PLANTS DEFEND THEMSELVES" authored by Natalie Angier, in the April/May 2013 Mother Earth News.

Please refer to this article for more information on the subject.

BT

posted on Jun, 6 2013 @ 02:29 PM
link   
For todays Segment of Bushcraftonfire Radio, I have utilized the following resource:

Make Biochar — This Ancient Technique Will Improve Your Soil

authored by: Barbara Pleasant.

Thanks to Ms. Pleasant and all the other dedicated people who make information like this available.

BT

posted on Jun, 13 2013 @ 04:12 PM
link   
Today's Gardening Segment on the Bushcraft on Fire Radio show is titled "Getting Ready for Your Canning Season". If you would like to read more on this subject, here are some of the references I used for the show:

Fearless Food Preservation PRESSURE CANNING BASICS

by: Tabitha Alterman in the June/July 2013 Mother Earth News

Where to check for rubber gaskets for you Pressure Canner:

www.PressureCooker-Outlet.com

Other Canning Resources

www.MotherEarthNews.com/Canning
www.HomeCanning.com

Research, Learn and Enjoy

BT

PS: The show is on at 8:00pm EDT. You can access it at www.illustrial.net, or by clicking ATS Direct on the show thread.
edit on 13-6-2013 by BearTruth because: added show info

posted on Jun, 13 2013 @ 06:26 PM
link   
BushCraftonFire Radio Show will be going live in about 37 minutes. Come and listen at www.illustrial.net or go to the show thread:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

and click on ATS DIRECT in the thread body.

Let's have fun with the topics!

BT

posted on Jul, 25 2013 @ 05:33 PM
link   
For tonight's segment on Bushcraftonfire Radio, titled: Making Your Own Cooking Oil at Home, I used the following sources:

www.motherearthnews.com... xzz2a5ycOGpo

Text

Preserving in Oil

By Dick & James Strawbridge

www.livingoffgrid.org...

Making Your Own Vegetable Oil

By Off Grid Ebert

Hope you enjoy!

BT

posted on Aug, 1 2013 @ 06:32 PM
link   
Today's Segment of Bushcraftonfire Radio is "Harvesting and Eating Delicious Daylilies".

For today's segment, I utilized the following source material:

How to Sustainably Harvest and Eat Delicious Daylilies

authored by: Leda Meredith

Please refer to the link to learn more about harvesting daylilies.

BT

posted on Aug, 8 2013 @ 05:29 PM
link   
To obtain more information on the Bushcraftonfire Radio Segment for today please refer to:

Choose Fermented Foods for Health and Flavor

by Sandor Katz

This is a superb way to preserve our fresh foods for use on an everyday basis, but also would be very beneficial in a survival type situation.

BT

posted on Sep, 19 2013 @ 05:52 PM
link   
Today's Gardening With Laura segment is "Making Vinegar and Ways to Use It" this was inspired by the list "45 Uses for Vinegar" complied by Christine J. Walker. You can see her list at:

www.facebook.com...

Now the directions for making vinegar that I give in the segment are outlined here from E-HOW:

www.ehow.com...

Hope you enjoy the material.

BT

posted on Nov, 7 2013 @ 05:51 PM
link   

Tonight's Gardening with Laura segment is about a centuries old survival food: Pemmican.

If you want to learn more about this amazing food used by the Native/Alaskan Americans, refer to this website:
How to Make Pemmican

There are many other sources for information on this interesting topic. Research it and learn, then add it to your arsenal for survival.

BT

top topics

<<   2 >>

join