It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Video of Cop Tasing Unresponsive Diabetic "I didn't know he was a freakin' diabetic!"

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+12 more 
posted on Oct, 25 2012 @ 08:23 PM
link   
Diabetics beware. You are a "freak" according to this, and other cops. This is not the first time this has happened and it wont be the last. Amazing that there is no danger to the cop, yet he fires away with his taser - why? Because an unresponsive person was just sitting there? Is it now so bad you just tase someone who has just been in an accident because they are not responding?

When Ricky Jones collided with a car in Cleburne April 9th, he was disoriented and confused. A Cleburne police officer questioned him. His audio was recorded. He asked Jones, “Do you understand that I’m talking to you? Answer my question. What’s the matter with you?”

“Step out of the vehicle, sir. Provide me with your driver’s license and insurance,” the officer can be heard saying. “Step out of the vehicle. Or I will tase you!”

Emergency crews arrive. The officer finds out what was wrong. “I didn’t know he was freakin’ diabetic!” the officer said.

A car accident occurs. The cop demands someone out of the car that was involved - what if his neck was broken? Or he hit his head and had a concussion? Nope - not possible outcomes for this cop...instead, just tase the guy. What a world we live in.

Tase me, I'm practically unconcious

ColoradoJens

+2 more 
posted on Oct, 25 2012 @ 09:01 PM
link   
There have been many such threads. USA - Home of the Free! Yea right!

The one thing that stands out like dog proverbials is that Law Enforcement Officers across the USA have a mind set that the proper response to anyone, of any age, of any infirmity, that fails to OBEY them is to shoot them, either a tazer or a firearm.

THIS is what you should be upset about - it is the primary underlying issue. Obey me or else!

This is the most dangerous concept affecting US citizens today.

Add to that - a large percentage of LEOs are morons so the outcomes are sadly predictable.

My advice, shoot back!

P

+2 more 
posted on Oct, 25 2012 @ 09:25 PM
link   
Settled for $5,000? It should have been $5 million. As the op said, the guy could have been seriously injured, with a broken neck or internal injuries. The cop could have killed this guy just because he wasn't able to respond. People like this piss me off... There's no common sense anymore. When you arrive at an accident, and an accident victim is disoriented and confused, they need medical attention, not to be angrily tasered.
Jesus. If I'm ever in an accident I'd rather walk to the hospital on 2 broken legs than trust some cop to help me.

posted on Oct, 25 2012 @ 09:41 PM
link   
I was angry. Yep, angry as usual when I see some lard arse waddling around with his arms flailing at the sides as there is no room for them to hang naturally down by his gut, as he strides throwing one leg awkwardly out after the other waddling around like a king in a kings shthouse .. but then I heard $5000

my jaw dropped. i literally went from angry to something I don't even know a word for. Incredulity? Closes to it I guess.

did he settle for it, is he slow as well as diabetic? As long as people allow the cops to act with such lazy, slovenly, arrogant expectation and they continue to get away with it.. they will. and that line that you say "I dare you to cross" gets closer and closer to you. And you're not even watching the line any more, too distracted..

In fact sometimes there is no line, like the elephant raised with a chain around his leg, who pulls on it at first finds it will not release.. the old elephant now never tries to pull free, despite the chain being untethered to anything any more. The elephant has learnt it's place in the world...

Haha, well mind you... I just checked the average salary for a cop in Cleburne..

$36,000pa

Bloody hell I earned more than that 15 years ago.. in an office job

Maybe the entire damn ball doesn't bounce any more..

posted on Oct, 25 2012 @ 10:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by ColoradoJens
Diabetics beware. You are a "freak" according to this, and other cops. This is not the first time this has happened and it wont be the last. Amazing that there is no danger to the cop, yet he fires away with his taser - why? Because an unresponsive person was just sitting there? Is it now so bad you just tase someone who has just been in an accident because they are not responding?

I believe stupid and/or dirty cops are the new norm. They are recruiting the absolutely wrong people and these recruits are either not trained or inappropriately trained. Today's police are a threat to public safety.

Their leadership is not too swift either. I had a summons for a court date delivered to a small town sheriff for serving. One month later the courthouse had no record of it coming back. I called the sheriff and he sounded totally unplugged about the process. He said something to the effect of "they would get 'round to it". Sheesh. This clown would be right at home in a "wrong turn" movie.

posted on Oct, 25 2012 @ 10:21 PM
link   
Dumb kid, if your diabetic driving around your suppose to where your bracelet so people know.... But the cop should be fired regardless, and give the kid money out of HIS pocket.... I feel like tazing a cop now...

posted on Oct, 25 2012 @ 10:24 PM
link   
He's lucky the cop didn't shoot him 7 times in the face. Seems that's the norm these days.

posted on Oct, 25 2012 @ 11:30 PM
link   
Many times a diabetic will act drunk while having a diabetic reaction. I'm sure some cops would have a field day with that. Diabetics, you must wear a bracelet, necklace tag, or even a tag on a shoe that they sell to let people know you are diabetic.

posted on Oct, 25 2012 @ 11:38 PM
link   
reply to post by ColoradoJens

This is a tough call to be honest...

There is a medical term called Ketoacidosis. It occurs in people who are diabetic and the symtpoms exhibited by people who are in that stage gives off all of the signs of alcohol intoxication, right down to the persons breath giving of an intoxicating odor.

Other signs -
Inability to engage coherently in a conversation.
Inability to multitask
Slurred speech
intoxicating odor from their mouth / breath
loss of coordination
ability to go from calm to fighting and not realize it.
Inability to concentrate..
Inability to process basic commands
Inability to perform basic motor functions

etc etc etc....

This medical issue is not addressed in the police academy (at least it was not in my region). One of the reasons why is law enforcement is not supposed to "diagnose" and individual. We run into the issue where if we "diagnose", and something goes wrong and makes it way to court, the very first questio we will be asked is:

Defense -
Officer so and so, are you certified in emergency medicine?
Do you have the training in the medical field that allows you to determine / diagnose a medical condition?
Do you have advanced training where you can distinguish between alcohol / drug influence and medical conditions that mimic those conditions?

Officer - No sir

Defense -
Then please explain to this court why you acted outside of your area of responsibility.

Until you are in a position like the officer in this incident, attacking the officer and his actions is problematic. Hindsight will always be 20/20.

Just some food for thought...

edit on 25-10-2012 by Xcathdra because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 25 2012 @ 11:39 PM
link   
There's TONS of proof out there that diabetics who are hypoglycemic can act like intoxicated individuals.

It should have been protocol LONG ago in the USA for officers of the law to be informed about this with approximately 37 million diabetics now!

1. That attorney should have gotten it to be a national requirement for the instructional video to be watched by all officers in the USA.

2. The attorney also didn't sue for enough for the victim in this case. As close to seizure as that teenager was, he could have lost his life, because other diabetics have had heart attacks from being tazed while in this condition.
I read that on another thread on ATS, just can't find it at the moment.

Some diabetics suffer from something known as hypoglycemia unawareness. I know because I am one of the few who do. I always have to check my blood before I drive, and that is the only place where the diabetic driver was at fault. I'm sure he will learn to check himself before he drives. Still, the fact remains that ALL officers should have been trained on this long ago.
edit on 10/25/2012 by InFriNiTee because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 25 2012 @ 11:39 PM
link   
See, this is the thing with Tasers. Give someone a shiny new hammer and they wander around looking for things to hit with it.

It may be supposed to be a non-lethal force alternative. ie - an alternative to shooting.

However, what it has turned into is a compliance and / or punishment device by the officer. The guy didn't do what the cop said fast enough. Instead of finding out if there was a valid reason for that the cop sought to gain his compliance by punishing him with a zap.

Might as well just give him a cattle prod for when the line at the doughnut shop is too long.

posted on Oct, 25 2012 @ 11:47 PM
link   
Assumption is the mother of most screw-ups. The officer should have known to investigate why the driver was not responsive, instead of using lethal force.

The reason I say lethal in this case is because of accelerated heart rate that hypoglycemia causes. Diabetics who've had it for a longer amount of time have weaker hearts, generally speaking. The heart rate can be high, when the blood sugar is low and it can cause cardiac arrest when they get tazed.

There should be a law that all law enforcement learn about things like diabetes, epilepsy, etc.

posted on Oct, 25 2012 @ 11:54 PM
link   
add this to the rather lengthy list of inappropriate actions committed by cops.
since when are tasers deployed without any perceivable threat ??

glad to read the driver wasn't injured further by the taser, however, it should have never been deployed.
officer should be sanctioned and lose all privilege of carrying/possessing/discharging a weapon of any kind.

posted on Oct, 26 2012 @ 06:52 AM
link   
reply to post by Night Star

You are right ! When my kid is outside he always wears a diabetic wristlet and its for his own safety and for getting right care when found unconcious.

There is a lot of these accidents where police have misinterpret these situations. You won´t get decent answer or response from person who is having hypoglycemia and how strong are the symptoms of hypoglycemia varies by the person. For example my kid can have 1 mmol/l and seems to be perfectly ok and chatting almost like normal when someone other in this state would be totally unconscious and shaking.

There are few symptoms which is clear in hypoglycemia and it very important that police knows these. I believe learning these issues are mandatory to their training.. if not then there is something seriously wrong.

What comes to every diabetic, there are some rules with driving. Measure your bloodglucose everytime before driving, if you have low bloodglucose fix it also ifs close to good value but you have long drive, eat something before you go.
edit on 26-10-2012 by dollukka because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 26 2012 @ 07:23 AM
link   
reply to post by Xcathdra

I wouldn't expect a police officer to be a medical doctor. I would expect one to have some basic sense. It doesn't take any kind of medical training to know someone in a car accident may be disoriented. How is being unresponsive after a car crash threatening? What if he was deaf? I thought tasers were for protection - not to make someone answer questions.

CJ

posted on Oct, 26 2012 @ 08:03 AM
link   

One of the reasons why is law enforcement is not supposed to "diagnose" and individual.
no one is suggesting LEOs diagnose anyone ... most of them are not qualified.

however, being unresponsive is a diagnosis to some extent and one that requires medical intervention.

what if the driver had a concussion, whiplash or any other reasonable damage often occurring in auto accidents ??
should the officer be held personally, financially, responsible for the driver's injuries, whatever the cause ??

and besides, since the officer was already acting outside of his area of responsibility by responding inappropriately to a non-threat, please explain to everyone why they (taxpayers) are financially culpable for the bad behavior of another cop, yet again ??

posted on Oct, 26 2012 @ 08:15 AM
link   
Not diabetes, but my uncle was roughed up and had a gun drawn on him.. but EMTs intervened. He was hit head on by a drunk and when the cop got there and saw a brown teenager he immediately felt it was his fault and drug him from the car, screaming at him and throwing him on his face to cuff him behind his back. He had a severe closed head injury, subdural hematoma, and brain damage even today from it. We didnt even know if he'd live due to the brain swelling.. When he came out of the coma he didnt even know who his own parents were, but the cop drug him out of the car with severe injuries cause he didnt get his drivers license out on command.

SOmeone needs to tell cops that not everyone is threatening their authoritah. SOMETIMES people in wrecks are actually injured and its not an affront to their authoritah when folks cant comply.

BTW.. this was 20 yrs ago. So its nothing new...

posted on Oct, 26 2012 @ 08:19 AM
link   

You are right, officers should not try and diagnose people, but they should have a pretty firm handle on when to use a taser.

As for ketoacidosis, this was absolutely NOT the case. Yes, it can cause a fruity smell on the breathe, but this kid was hypoglycemic which means no fruit smell.

Either way, is it standard operating procedure to tase someone thought to be drunk?

And just for clarity.... From the ADA:

What are the warning signs of ketoacidosis?
Ketoacidosis usually develops slowly. But when vomiting occurs, this life-threatening condition can develop in a few hours. Early symptoms include the following:

Thirst or a very dry mouth
Frequent urination
High blood glucose (sugar) levels
High levels of ketones in the urine

Then, other symptoms appear:
Constantly feeling tired
Dry or flushed skin
Nausea, vomiting, or abdominal pain
(Vomiting can be caused by many illnesses, not just ketoacidosis. If vomiting continues for more than 2 hours, contact your health care provider.)
A hard time breathing (short, deep breaths)
Fruity odor on breath
A hard time paying attention, or confusion

What are the symptoms of hypoglycemia?
Symptoms of hypoglycemia include the following:
Shakiness
Dizziness
Sweating
Hunger
Headache
Pale skin color
Sudden moodiness or behavior changes, such as crying for no apparent reason
Clumsy or jerky movements
Seizure
Difficulty paying attention, or confusion
Tingling sensations around the mouth

posted on Oct, 26 2012 @ 08:19 AM
link   

Love ya to death Xcat, but when you decide the person is well and react to them by tazing or manhandling them, youre diagnosing the person as having nothing wrong with them.
The kid in the video wasnt combative.. nor was my uncle.

posted on Oct, 26 2012 @ 08:28 AM
link   
let's face it, most cops are at the bottom of the intelligence barrel because no one else want's to do the job. they have to find loosers, idiots and people who need psychiatric help, to do the corrupt job it has become.

there was a time when most cops were good people, those days have since passed and what we have now is a direct product of what society has become. i know a few cops and they are good people, but even they admit they are the minority and just go in and do the job, then try to go home and be dad or husband as best they can.

it's a sad state of affairs and i feel bad for anyone that has to rely on the police because the chances are good you will be worse off by calling them or having them impact your life.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join