It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New Oct 24/2012 Meteor over NE USA and Canada Ontario

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 25 2012 @ 07:46 PM
link   
Ok here a other one and it pass the shower window
Ya FireballStorm this make your theory possible now well I think so.
lunarmeteoritehunters.blogspot.ca...

MBIQ Detects CANADA / NE US Meteor 24OCT 2012

We need YOUR sighting reports to verify this event. Thank you! Please file a meteor sighting report on this site.

MBIQ Data-
Kingston, Ontario arrived from google.ca on "Latest Worldwide Meteor/Meteorite News" by searching for canada october 24 meteor.
03:03:28 -- 1 minute ago

Moncton, New Brunswick arrived from google.ca on "Latest Worldwide Meteor/Meteorite News" by searching for last night comet.
03:17:58 -- 3 minutes ago

and more
www.meteorite-times.com...

edit on 25-10-2012 by Trillium because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 25 2012 @ 08:10 PM
link   
I'm sorry but what is this about?

posted on Oct, 25 2012 @ 08:19 PM
link   
well i,m convinced these things are becoming more regular,in space of 6 months we,ve saw 2 fly over scotland that r that big they,ve been seen all over..... thats just scotland mind,read about alot more all over the world...now people will say oh 2,so what? but in all years i,ve known which is 36 i,ve never heard about something that large shooting across the sky......if u check the near earth object website then u,ll see theres quite a few big 1s flying by in the next month......maybe not that close but makes u think.

posted on Oct, 25 2012 @ 08:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by sparky31
well i,m convinced these things are becoming more regular,in space of 6 months we,ve saw 2 fly over scotland that r that big they,ve been seen all over..... thats just scotland mind,read about alot more all over the world...now people will say oh 2,so what? but in all years i,ve known which is 36 i,ve never heard about something that large shooting across the sky......if u check the near earth object website then u,ll see theres quite a few big 1s flying by in the next month......maybe not that close but makes u think.

Ya remember reading a story a few year ago that these were only happening every 3 to 5 year.
Now we just had what 5 or 6 big one.
I think there something there not telling us, well if there know at all

posted on Oct, 25 2012 @ 08:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by JrDavis
I'm sorry but what is this about?

New big meteor sighting over NE USA and Canada
Still looking for a confirmation report on google.

Ok this is a UFO reporting site but you can tell most are meteor
www.nuforc.org...

posted on Oct, 25 2012 @ 09:03 PM
link   
Maybe they'll take out the birds of prey circling our little prison planet, eh?

Gawd I hope so. The more the merrier.

posted on Oct, 25 2012 @ 10:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Trillium

Hi Trillium. I guess you are referring to the lack of connection between big fireballs and meteor showers?

If so, thanks, but it's not really my theory. It's widely accepted by the scientific community.

Meteor showers are occurring all the time, although many are quite weak and don't get much attention. There are actually around 400 known meteor showers: The IAU Meteor Data Center(list of known meteor showers)

Occasionally meteor showers do produce relatively bright fireballs, but the really big ones that penetrate deeply into the atmosphere have orbits like those of asteroids in most cases it's been found. Researchers have been using dual-station photography to work out the orbits of meteors for over a century.

In 1959, for the first time ever, meteorites were found on the ground after (and thanks to) a large fireball being photographed by dual-station cameras over the Czech Republic. The orbit was later calculated, ruling out meteor showers, and confirming that it was asteroidal in origin. That fall was named Přibram, after where the meteorite was found, and it was a turning point in the study of meteorites and fireballs, although I think researchers had suspected for a long time before that there was no connection between annual meteor showers and large fireballs that drop meteorites.

Research since then has shown that although encounters with these small asteroids are frequent and fairly random on a day to day basis, there is actually a variation in fireball rates throughout the year:Annual and diurnal variations in fireball rates (International Meteor Organization)

Most people I think it's fair to say, are unaware and/or pay no attention to the sheer amount of extraterrestrial material bombarding us constantly. It often comes as a shock when they find out just how much. It's why I love jumping into my sleeping bag and spending the night on my back looking up at the stars - you never know what you are going to see.
edit on 25-10-2012 by FireballStorm because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 25 2012 @ 10:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by Trillium
Ya remember reading a story a few year ago that these were only happening every 3 to 5 year.

If someone said that, then they were either talking about how many make the news each year, or they did not know what they were talking about.

The vast majority of big fireballs are not reported anywhere and/or seen by anyone.

More fireballs are being reported now than ever before for a host of reasons, but that does not mean that there is necessarily an upsurge in the frequency of these events.

People now have more and more opportunities to post there reports of the web thanks to websites like the one you posted in your link, so these things get heard about and are posted on sites like this one.

News that wouldn't have reached you/me before is now posted on sites like this more and more.

The fireballs were always there, but the world is a big place, and even today, most are missed, so I would expect these kinds of events to make the news more and more in the future as we get better at detecting and reporting them.

posted on Oct, 25 2012 @ 11:45 PM
link   

Ok this is a UFO reporting site but you can tell most are meteor
www.nuforc.org...

It's what I've been saying for a while. Many meteors and fireballs are misidentified by inexperienced observers.

Virtually every report I come across where more than a few people have seen a big fireball, there are a few people who report that it was a "UFO" or it didn't look like a fireball to them.

Having seen many fireballs for myself, I know that every one looks different. Most people seem to have a fixed idea of what a fireball should look like and how it should behave, and when they see one that does not conform to these assumptions, they are not sure what they are seeing.

We know that most fireballs and meteors are not reported, and many might just be seen by one or two lucky people. There's no doubt in my mind that a significant portion of UFO reports are caused by meteors and fireballs. I know first hand how strange some can seem!

You may have seen me post it on another thread, but I think its worth posting again here - this thread attempts to demystify the subject: How good are we at estimating the distance and altitude of UFOs?

posted on Oct, 25 2012 @ 11:47 PM
link   

I knew I saw something last night.

I'm in Moncton and was out at around 2:00AM last night and saw the meteor for sure.

~TEnth

posted on Oct, 26 2012 @ 10:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by FireballStorm

Hi Trillium. I guess you are referring to the lack of connection between big fireballs and meteor showers?

If so, thanks, but it's not really my theory. It's widely accepted by the scientific community.

Meteor showers are occurring all the time, although many are quite weak and don't get much attention. There are actually around 400 known meteor showers: The IAU Meteor Data Center(list of known meteor showers)

Occasionally meteor showers do produce relatively bright fireballs, but the really big ones that penetrate deeply into the atmosphere have orbits like those of asteroids in most cases it's been found. Researchers have been using dual-station photography to work out the orbits of meteors for over a century.

In 1959, for the first time ever, meteorites were found on the ground after (and thanks to) a large fireball being photographed by dual-station cameras over the Czech Republic. The orbit was later calculated, ruling out meteor showers, and confirming that it was asteroidal in origin. That fall was named Přibram, after where the meteorite was found, and it was a turning point in the study of meteorites and fireballs, although I think researchers had suspected for a long time before that there was no connection between annual meteor showers and large fireballs that drop meteorites.

Research since then has shown that although encounters with these small asteroids are frequent and fairly random on a day to day basis, there is actually a variation in fireball rates throughout the year:Annual and diurnal variations in fireball rates (International Meteor Organization)

Most people I think it's fair to say, are unaware and/or pay no attention to the sheer amount of extraterrestrial material bombarding us constantly. It often comes as a shock when they find out just how much. It's why I love jumping into my sleeping bag and spending the night on my back looking up at the stars - you never know what you are going to see.
edit on 25-10-2012 by FireballStorm because: (no reason given)

Thank you again for all the info
Guess I got a lot of reading to do this weekend to get up to speed on this
Well I'm in bed with a bad cold so good time to do it.

posted on Oct, 26 2012 @ 10:50 AM
link   
If our planet is about to pass through the Galctic plane, we will see a large increase in the number of meteor sightings. Could make some people very rich. Keep your eyes to the skys.

posted on Oct, 26 2012 @ 11:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by Oannes
If our planet is about to pass through the Galctic plane, we will see a large increase in the number of meteor sightings. Could make some people very rich. Keep your eyes to the skys.

Ya that or very poor from all the roof repair that will be needed.
Just hope it a good show and good memory.

Ho here what to look for just in case you get lucky to be in the area
cams.seti.org...
edit on 26-10-2012 by Trillium because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 26 2012 @ 01:33 PM
link   

I saw one on the 20th of October. I was at the drive-in in Saco Maine. We were facing.. WNW.

Looking at the screen around 10pm Eastern time.

It was red and had a white tail that broke up. My gf said it disintegrated before the horizon.

posted on Oct, 26 2012 @ 02:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by Oannes

Ya that or very poor from all the roof repair that will be needed.
Just hope it a good show and good memory.

Ho here what to look for just in case you get lucky to be in the area

I'm not sure there is any evidence to support what Oannes is suggesting.

Even if there was an increase in meteor activity due to this, we know that the kind of intergalactic meteoroids that are encountered, would be tiny. They'd certainly never make it to the ground. The only reason we can detect them is because they travel at significantly higher speeds than their counterparts which have solar orbits. This gives them a large amount of kinetic energy, which is mostly converted into light when they hit atmosphere, which is why we can detect tiny particles. Here's a little reading on the the subject: Detection of an intergalactic meteor particle with the 6-m telescope

For the record, if a sizable (a few grams) extra-solar meteorite were to take out my roof, I would not be too worried (as long as no one was hurt). Material of this type is so rare and sought after, I'd probably be able to replace my whole property with the proceeds, and live like a king for the rest of my life. Even a lunar meteorite would be a few thousand $ per gram.

Have fun reading Trillium. If there's anything else related to this topic I can help with, ask away.

posted on Oct, 26 2012 @ 02:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by JrDavis

I saw one on the 20th of October. I was at the drive-in in Saco Maine. We were facing.. WNW.

Looking at the screen around 10pm Eastern time.

It was red and had a white tail that broke up. My gf said it disintegrated before the horizon.

Hope you reported it if not you should next time you see one it help out alot.
It may help other pinpoint the location of any rock that made it to the ground.

posted on Oct, 26 2012 @ 11:01 PM
link   
Here we go, first slice/piece of the Novato meteorite on ebay with just under a day left.

posted on Nov, 1 2012 @ 08:58 PM
link   
Well got the UFOCapture program and camera going a few day's ago
nothing so far

wife was looking at me kind of funny when she saw me running around the yard in the dard and turning a mini flaslight on and off then checking my computor

But now it pointing up so now UFO or Meteor I'm ready
But cloudy now

edit on 1-11-2012 by Trillium because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 1 2012 @ 11:35 PM
link   

Nice one Trillium

You've been reading up by the sound of it

Which camera/lens are you using?

Good luck - hope you catch something interesting.

I probably won't have much (if any) time to post in the next few days as I'm upping roots and moving to another house next week.

posted on Nov, 1 2012 @ 11:44 PM
link   
Ok now remember this was a test

not a UFO or Meteor ( a mini flasflight going on and off)

edit on 1-11-2012 by Trillium because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2 >>

join