It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

MS Windows Code Automatically Corrupts Itself to Force You to Upgrade!!!???

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 26 2012 @ 01:39 PM
link   
I'd also like to point out that MS gets all this hate, but Apple is embraced? LOL.

Apple should be demonized by the same people but here we are, hipsters and their macs, touting their infinite awesomeness. Apple's true planned obsolescence model of engineering should be your real focus of anger.

posted on Oct, 26 2012 @ 01:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by fourthmeal
I'd say the problem is more squarely placed on Adobe's shoulders, actually.

HUH?

posted on Oct, 26 2012 @ 01:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by fourthmeal
I'd also like to point out that MS gets all this hate, but Apple is embraced? LOL.

Apple should be demonized by the same people but here we are, hipsters and their macs, touting their infinite awesomeness. Apple's true planned obsolescence model of engineering should be your real focus of anger.

APPLE BAD, GGGRRR, lol. Just ignore them and they'll eventually go away, annoying as they are, lol.
edit on 26-10-2012 by RedShirt73 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 26 2012 @ 01:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by RedShirt73

Originally posted by Toadmund
it's like buying a car, but you must hire a driver because the driver comes with the car, you want to choose your own chauffer, weather it's you or someone you choose.

Yes, windows is like getting a chauffeur for the car you just bought. Linux is like buying the parts for the car, building it and hoping it runs. I'm sure Linux is fine for home PCs but for businesses, they like things that work right now.

And this happens simply because most people use MS because it is shoved down everyones throats. If Linux had 50% of the market, you would not say the same thing as programmers would write the programs everyone needs simply because the market is there. Linux is not incapaple of running these programs, just the market is not there.
MS is deeply entrenched in peoples computers and minds because they were good and dishonest marketers.

There is lots of cat food out there, but try finding Iguana chow at the supermarket.
More people have cats, I myself have lots of cats.

posted on Oct, 26 2012 @ 01:56 PM
link   
reply to post by RedShirt73

Yeah, I think that's what Microsoft is hoping for. Unfortunately the iPad and iOS underpinnings have taken them on like a pissed-off attack dog, and simply will not let go.

Somehow (because of 3rd party app creators I imagine) the iOS devices have become legendary and ultra-popular.

That's why Win8 exists the way it does.

And in reply to Toadmund:

For my business, Adobe Reader's integrated addon for in-line viewing of PDF documents that was built for FF and IE is a necessary feature for the software my industry uses. There is no suitable Linux alternative, I've looked. But had Adobe actually created a proper addon for any browser for Linux, I wouldn't have to do what I do, which is literally kick users off Linux so they can run their auto repair business. Linux AND Droid, actually, because they both have this problem. My brand spanking new Nexus 7 can't even do it, and it can do damn near anything. And believe me, if you have a solution to this problem I am 100% up for it, because I do agree Linux being a potentially great thing. Droid is a perfect example of what happens when it goes right. I also can cite several failures (like this stupid OTC scantool I have that is Linux GNU based), but the potential is there.

posted on Oct, 26 2012 @ 02:13 PM
link   
reply to post by fourthmeal

Yeah, it's really too bad people are locked into the MS monopoly, some use MS because they have to, not because they want to.
To all of you that don't have to use MS, stop using it, you are just feeding the giant that makes you spend your money.
edit on 26-10-2012 by Toadmund because: to not too

posted on Oct, 26 2012 @ 02:19 PM
link   
reply to post by Toadmund

What he said!

And Apple too. Take your heel, and swiftly crush your iOS device beneath your feet.

posted on Oct, 26 2012 @ 02:48 PM
link   
reply to post by fourthmeal

I defy someone to try Win8 and stick with it for a week straight, and tell me they do not appreciate it. My guess is after a short acclimation period you'll change your tune for the better.

The best part about Windows 8 was that it had Windows 7 built in. My wife didn't like it at all. She didn't get the hot corners thing. Honestly I didn't either for like two days.

8 would get less hate if they had just left the Start Menu button where it was, but made it bring up Metro when you click it. There was no reason to hide the button. I don't need a trendy scavenger hunt. Ohh look how trendy that is! The menu hides from you! Ohhh! Now you have to go find it! But even if it didn't do that, it would still get hate.

Honestly Metro is just a piece of malware that takes over your Start Menu and tries to sell you crappy apps. That's all it really is. The missing details kill it for me.

I would classify the built in apps as unusable. Instead of using the mail app I'd rather use Gmail itself. It works smoother. Also the Gmail Android app works better for touch.

In some places basic copy and paste didn't even work. Where text was not editable you couldn't copy it. Like MS just assumed if you couldn't edit it, there would be no reason to copy it. Bad assumption.

Like a friend sent me a message and I was trying to copy it and paste it. It didn't work. With Pidgin my actual messenger this wouldn't be a problem at all. Right click, copy. Hopefully they've fixed this by now.

The People app is probably the best thing Windows 8 has going for it with pinned contacts, but it still doesn't work as smooth as just using the FB and Twitter apps on Android. It's not organized well and it doesn't look good. I'm not sure it'll impress the average user. It's straight up fugly.

And while the music app did technically play music, it played it badly. It was slow and lagged and didn't have anywhere near the features that Media Player has. No playlists. Streaming radio didn't work. You can't rip songs. (You can BUY songs though!), searching for music is far slower. And Windows 8 won't even play DVDs out of the box! Can you even edit the album details for an MP3 with the music app?

Also in IE Metro. When you open a new tab. In beta, it didn't automatically go to the new tab. It left the old one up. But there's no tab bar? So, you have to go on another trendy scavenger hunt again to find the tabs in IE and then click the tab you just opened. This is stupid. Hopefully they've also fixed this in the release version. Not to mention Flash not working except on approved sites only.

So, basically that's not really a complaint against Metro. It's just a complaint about the built in apps. I personally would need far better apps. The more you use Metro the more you realize what the apps are missing. So, you need a better app.

But see, that's on purpose. They're just trying to get you buy apps remember? See Windows 8 isn't really about the OS. It's about the Windows store. That's what MS really cares about right now. Trying to get that going. But in my opinion they're jumping on the app bandwagon kinda late.
edit on 26-10-2012 by tinfoilman because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 26 2012 @ 02:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by beyondsense

Take for instance my Windows XP Professional, about 4 years ago this computer started "acting up". No matter how many times I restore the computer, (at first it runs fine), but after 3 or 4 months, little by little it starts to become "corrupted". Trojans, Viruses, etc. are not an issue

Actually, if you're running XP then viruses absolutely are an issue, since support for XP was officially ended over 2 years ago. That includes any security updates, etc.

edit on 26-10-2012 by HIWATT because: spellin'

posted on Oct, 26 2012 @ 03:15 PM
link   
Have you ever seen the documentary about planned obsolescence?

"The Light Bulb Conspiracy"

undergrounddocumentaries.com...

This movie shows how products are made to wear out. The first example is a computer printer that is made to malfunction after a certain number of prints. The software would shutdown the printer. There are numerous products shown in this documentary including, the light bulb.

oh my mistake it is just planned repurchase....

posted on Oct, 26 2012 @ 03:55 PM
link   
reply to post by beyondsense

no matter which brand I have purchased, how many system factory restores I do to the machines, they always end up with the inherent systematic problems that make you feel like the computer is "old", "outdated

a mistake you may be making, when re-installing the operating system, is to continue to use the same 'user name'.
by keeping the same logon user name, the new install will apply the same 'preferences' to your new setup [it'll hide them in there somewhere, trust me].
i've found that your prefrences [or settings] is where windows keeps all the conflicting b.s. that slows things down.

anyway ... [without re-installing os] try changing your user name and deleting the old one. windows will give you an option to save all the files you made to the new name, make sure you do that.
from there, you will see lots of 'message boxes' come up as you use your computer. take the time to answer each one 'correctly', if you're unsure then uncheck the 'don't show this message again' option.
this will rebuild your settings properly.
this has worked great for me!

posted on Oct, 26 2012 @ 06:07 PM
link   
As hardware gets better, software gets more resource intensive.

When you keep downloading new stuff, but don't upgrade your hardware to keep up with the software, you are going to experience issues. Slowdown, crashes, etc. are going to happen. The only way to stop it is to upgrade your hardware to keep up with the software you are running.

On top of this, computers require maintenance. This is not optional, this is required. Using the internet downloads files, even if you don't want it to. Most software updates automatically over time, Files become corrupted, software has bugs, the registry gets cluttered, and virii are inevitable.

If you refuse to upgrade your hardware, run an old operating system, and neglect basic computer maintenance, your computer will slow down, crash, and eventually stop working all together.

This is not coded into the operating system, its not on purpose, its the nature of computer technology.

If you never change the oil in your car, your car is going to break down. Computers are the same.

DC

posted on Oct, 26 2012 @ 11:34 PM
link   
My cheap 2007 Dell w/ Vista hasn't missed a beat. I added a vid card and memory...no probs at all.

posted on Oct, 26 2012 @ 11:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Toadmund

I think you have your thinking arse about face.

If Linux was as good as you claimed, then it would have such a market share.

Fact of the matter is, it is a bastard to get working, whereas a windows machine can be up and running from boxed up parts to a full system ready to use inside of a couple of hours that any old moron can navigate around and get their applications working.

Also, the much vaunted fact there are "no viruses or security problems" with Linux is simply down to the fact no one uses it.

Mark my words, if Linux usage leapt up overnight, the security problems would be exploited. At the moment, there is no point in virus writers and hackers targeting Linux as there is no benefit for such a small slice of the market.

Given it's open source, what then in terms of security updates? There would be no single point to go for patches, which would lead to a mish-mash of versions with wildly different patching going on, which would just make getting things to work on it even more of a bastard.

posted on Oct, 27 2012 @ 01:16 AM
link   
reply to post by HIWATT

Actually, if you're running XP then viruses absolutely are an issue, since support for XP was officially ended over 2 years ago. That includes any security updates, etc.
No. I regularly get security and other updates.

posted on Oct, 27 2012 @ 01:25 AM
link   
reply to post by stumason

Mark my words, if Linux usage leapt up overnight

It did leapt overnight. On web servers, cellphones, tablets and other devices. At one point around 1 million Android devices were being bought per day. And that's just Android. That's not even all Linux devices.

Linux will never be crap on the desktop, but it has nothing to do with Linux. It has everything to do with the desktop going out of style. It's old news. Market saturation and all that.

But on the new devices. The devices that actually COUNT. The devices where the apps are being sold right now? Windows isn't doing so hot.

The future is the web, the servers that power it, and the handheld devices that browse it.
edit on 27-10-2012 by tinfoilman because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 27 2012 @ 03:12 AM
link   
topdocumentaryfilms.com...
It's all true. There's money in tricking people.
It's just business. Keep'em buying...
"The customer is always right"

posted on Oct, 27 2012 @ 07:31 PM
link   
reply to post by stumason

On the desktop, Linux doesn't really matter beyond some specific niche markets, on the server is a lot more used than most people think, but strictly speaking, linux on the desktop is a failure at this time, by most comercial standards that is.

On the other hand, on the tablet market, that's a very different story, (taken from: en.wikipedia.org...)

IOS: 57.6%
Android: 39.1%
Windows: 1.5%
Other: 1.9%

In the smartphone and tablet platforms, IOS rules, followed by Android (Linux) and very very down there.. windows..

edit on 27-10-2012 by Kaifan because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 28 2012 @ 03:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by Phage
reply to post by HIWATT

No. I regularly get security and other updates.

I read they ended support in July of 2010 then came across this which says they have extended that to April of 2014.

I stand corrected.

posted on Oct, 28 2012 @ 04:32 AM
link   
reply to post by beyondsense

Planned obsolescence. It's no different than everything else. It's not the parts that run down, it's a question of bigger turn around the faster they can make the computer seem "old".

And it's bloddy disgusting.

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join