It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

MS Windows Code Automatically Corrupts Itself to Force You to Upgrade!!!???

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 26 2012 @ 12:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by imitator
I run Oracle VirtualBox on Windows 7...... never any problems with whatever system I'm running,

Well except for 95 and 98 is a kill joy with registries. Linux has never failed me, maybe I should run Windows on Linux lol.

Do not desecrate Linux in such ways... It'd be like ricing up a lambo...

posted on Oct, 26 2012 @ 01:31 AM
link   
post removed because the user has no concept of manners

Click here for more information.

posted on Oct, 26 2012 @ 03:14 AM
link   
I noticed when M$ stated that they would stop XP support, that the updates for those who had automatic updates enabled with no questions asked totally screwed up their PCs .
I was at the time a PC technician for a very large retirement village .

posted on Oct, 26 2012 @ 04:35 AM
link   
reply to post by beyondsense

We know that "proprietary language" is called assembly, anyone can look at it with the right tools, which are 'always' available for free.

What about having two machines, one with the current date, one with the date set 10 years ago? what if those two machines have the same speed with exactly the same installation of windows?

The first argument is not valid, we can look at the source, that we or anyone doesn't have enough time to do that is also not valid enough, because you can look at projects like the opensource 'wine' project wich has a lot of reverse engineering effort going on, and that by itselt would be enough to realize they haven't found anything wrong, or they would have been stopped long ago by TPTB, all their code works and its out there, and you can see even microsoft software running on top of wine, and no one on microsoft wrote a singe line of code for the 'wine' project.

edit on 26-10-2012 by Kaifan because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 26 2012 @ 04:41 AM
link   

15 years in the PC industry doing what? Do you defrag the hard drive on a regular basis do you have lots of icons on the desktop (classic way to slow windows down) also are you in the habit of installing and uninstalling demos and software because that clogs up the registry again a classic way to slow windows.

Do you have extra hard drives on your system the more crap on and attached to your machine the longer windows takes to boot. The other problem with an almost infinite combinations of motherboard,ram,hard disc,video cards software etc it's a wonder they got it to work in the first place that's why you have things like direct x and direct 3d.

So what do you do because I am stumped by your logic if you are in the industry!

posted on Oct, 26 2012 @ 05:54 AM
link   

There is no conspiracy, only poorly written code

posted on Oct, 26 2012 @ 06:26 AM
link   

I've also noticed the degradation you mentioned with Windows software. I'd love to use Linux, but the software I have to use is only available on Windows.

Also, when you consider what Google done with their 'Streetcar', that is, using it to detect all wi-fi spots, gather all IP addresses of those wi-fi spots, I think for an OS manufacturer to include such things as 'degredation' in their software, is highly plausible. Such is the nature of the beast, i.e, big business/capitalism.

Its worth pointing out, I have location aware switched off in my browsers, cleaned cache. Yet I still get 'local' ads when searching in google. Sneaky flippers!!

posted on Oct, 26 2012 @ 07:32 AM
link   

It has nothing to do with that.. The problem is the design of windows in general and all the crap that people install.
Every software/game you install makes the registery grow and even if you uninstall it all parts are still not always removed. After years of installing crap it will then slow down.. The MAJORITY of windows users also got malware or viruses which also slow the system.

This is why you should switch to a decent OS like linux.

posted on Oct, 26 2012 @ 07:36 AM
link   

I don't know about hidden code rendering PCs obsolete, I'm not code savey. However, on my old laptop I ran XP and every time it Windows Live Updated it would give me multiple trojans and other viruses. I never got a virus any other times. Once I disabled Windows Live Update I never got a virus again. I got a new laptop early this year that runs Windows 7 and haven't had such problems, but a few people I know still running XP are having different issues, so there might be some truth to your theory. They may be trying to force people to upgrade, but there is always Virtual XP for the die hard fans.

posted on Oct, 26 2012 @ 08:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by beyondsense
A few months ago I read here on ATS how a college professor through a freedom of information request unearthed that all major companies who make printers (HP, Canon, Sony, etc.) had put in tracking software into scanners so that if you tried to scan U.S dollars, it would detect it, and send some information back to the Secret Service (IP address, location, money being scanned, etc.). All of these companies had done this at the request of the U.S govt in SECRET. So is it possible that Microsoft could be implanting malicious code or double-purpose code into their software, hell yeah I think!

This specifically is not correct, at least for Hewlett Packard. I currently work for HP, and part of my time here has been spent working with HID (home imaging division) devices, both hardware and software.

posted on Oct, 26 2012 @ 08:17 AM
link   
That's what you get form using a commercial closed-source software over which you have no control at all.

Start using an open-source based OS or don't complain.

Heck I even develop my .NET applications under Linux.

Other than that: Yes I can confirm your observations. Especially when using the MS Office Programs. I always had the feeling that, as soon as a new edition comes out, they start putting one bug after another into the older versions, forcing you to upgrade. I can not evidence what I claim though.

posted on Oct, 26 2012 @ 08:52 AM
link   
It's ok, you won't have to worry much longer about hardware failures, and/or corrupted files, because you can safely and securely put all of your personal information onto "the cloud"

/sarcasm
edit on 10/26/2012 by eXia7 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 26 2012 @ 08:59 AM
link   
i think its hardware programed to play up not software

posted on Oct, 26 2012 @ 09:00 AM
link   

This doesnt even make sense. If they did code windows to eventually misbehave after a few months nobody would use it. Most of the time the slowdown your talking about is because users don't maintain there computer. I've been using Windows XP and Windows 7 with no problems at all.
Sometimes the other problem is the computers hardware. Either because the hardware is outdated or because somethings faulty. Now combine that with not maintaining the computer, and you have the slowdown you were talking about.

posted on Oct, 26 2012 @ 09:04 AM
link   
I used to say this when I was using WinMo.

I swear that after a given amount of time their OS would turn to crap.

I never did any true research regarding this, but I definitely noticed it's plausible at the least.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Oct, 26 2012 @ 09:12 AM
link   

Short answer... No.

Long answer:

There are various reasons your computer starts to suck over time.

Software related is one of the vectors. Registries full of redundant keys, temp files not being deleted, relying on windows broken uninstaller to actually uninstall programs, redundant programs, programs set to run at system startup, programs with memory leaks, or programs that don't correctly release memory not in use, etc.

The second, and most common, and common sense, is the hardware. The hardware is dated to begin with. All pc components, no matter what they are, start to degrade the instant they are manufactured. Hard drives generate errors, have bad sectors, corrupt data. Ram over time generates back areas of memory, reducing the available memory to the system as well as causing strange issues. Capacitors on video cards and motherboards have a limited lifespan, and eventually start to go bad, causing all types of untold issues.

If you honestly expect your 5 year old machine to work the same as it did when you bought it, merely relying on reinstalling windows, you are fooling yourself.

If I was you, I'd be cleaning out the case, ensuring all the system fans as well as the cpu fan are spinning at the correct rpm. I'd run ram tests and hd drive surface tests. I'd inspect the capacitors on the board to see if the top of the cylinder is starting to bulge out.

I've been doing this all my life. There is a rule of thumb that most pc techs understand all too well...

A windows install has a shelf life of about a year before you need to wipe it out, because no one stays ontop of that as they go.

posted on Oct, 26 2012 @ 09:17 AM
link   
reply to post by H1ght3chHippie

I can not evidence what I claim though.

And you never will, because it's not happening. It's only happening to people who don't maintain their systems. My 10 year old desk top (no lie, 10 years old) would be running just fine if I put a video card in it. Because I maintain it. My 8 year old laptop is running the same windows xp install i put on it, 8 years ago, and running just as good as always,because I maintain it.

When new MS software comes out, the role down the life span of the older product by limiting the bug fixes and updates until they stop supporting it al together. They do NOT purposely implement bugs to make their software not work. And consider now, almost any microsoft software has an equal if not better, FREE alternative, it's pure insanity to even harbor the notion if you are microsoft.

The best evidence of this is the millions of people using old computers with windows xp with no slowdown.

If you buy a car, you maintain it, either yourself, or through a mechanic. You don't sit around for 5 years then clean out the dashboard expecting the engine to purr like new. You have to maintain each and every component of that machine, ensuring all are working as they should, replacing or repairing as issues arise.

===========

That said...

It's the hardware folks, it's the hardware that is designed to fail faster and faster, by using components and materials they know will degrade faster and faster. My mac g4 cube, which is old enough to be some of you peoples parents, still runs flawlessly. Try finding a motherboard today that won't start losing capacitors in a year or so. Good luck.
edit on 26-10-2012 by phishyblankwaters because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 26 2012 @ 10:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by PaperbackWriter
Gee, I thought built-in obsolesence was the cornerstone of modern capitalism.

Whether it's cars or refrigerators or computers.

Think about Japan. They built quality products that did not need replacing.
For the last 30 years their economy is slumping.

Because their products were so reliably built, they did not require replacements again for a long time.
Once a certain saturation of markets are achieved other industries in places like China boomed because they built their products for export like crap.

Only because they dont NEED replacing does not mean it does not get replaced. German cars run 300.000 miles on one engine and one clutch easily. PPL still get new cars because they WANT new cars, just the way they want a bmw 7 despite driving solo with no luggage most of the time.

When my computer gets slow, I have my boyfriend reinstall it or fix it and then its good for a long while again.
edit on 26-10-2012 by Merinda because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 26 2012 @ 10:10 AM
link   

I've seen it happen to many peoples pc's but never mine. I have 2 torrents downloading, 3 windows open, a total of 20 tabs and have a game of GTA: San Andreas running in the background with no signs of stress. She's runs laps around some of my friends newer pc's. It breaks down to the operator knowing what they are doing.

I'm thinking of adding some new stuff but scared of possibly losing the wicked stability she has provided me.

posted on Oct, 26 2012 @ 11:03 AM
link   
I have never, ever had to do a system-restore in the past 15 years or so that wasn't due to a HDD failure.
Maybe it's your usage that's the problem

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join