It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Do You Reply More To Threads That Have Stars?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 25 2012 @ 06:26 PM
link   
Okay, ATS! Time for a little soul searching and honesty.

When I open a new thread, sometimes I have to respond bc I'm passionate about the topic. Usually, though, that's not the case. There are a lot of "Just for Fun" threads that ask conversational type questions. The latest one I can think of is about time traveling, but there's always those types of threads.

When I open these threads and notice the lack of stars, I typically go my own way. I just lose interest. Please note...the threads that DO matter to me, I care less about stars. But these others? No stars, not interested.

So I've tried to pay attention, and I think I've noticed a trend. Again, this is only for the light hearted threads, but these threads tend to "live" longer and have more participation if the comments are starred. The threads that don't star, I've noticed they last a page or two and die away.

Has anyone else noticed this, and do you find yourself responding more to starred threads? I'd love some honest answers, so please share.

The psychology of ATS....I should do my doctorate on this website alone...

posted on Oct, 25 2012 @ 06:30 PM
link   
reply to post by smyleegrl

I reply where i feel its necessary...

But threads are more sucessful if the OP stars his/her thread participants...

Note my Sig

edit on 25-10-2012 by Akragon because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 25 2012 @ 06:34 PM
link   
reply to post by Akragon

Yes, I remember reading that thread. I agreed with you somewhere in it.

Glad t know t least one other person gets it...

posted on Oct, 25 2012 @ 06:35 PM
link   

I'm an admirer of yours, Smylee. As such - you want my absolute honesty? I'll give it to you, pure and simple: as soon as I see a thread title, if it appears interesting or is under a category that I am interested in, I will check it out. I never know how many stars it has until I'm already on it, and by then, I'm already reading.

Stars, to me, indicate how many people appreciate or agree with the subject. Knowing how misguided or biased people can be, that means nothing to me unless I feel the subject is of great importance. Even then, stars don't matter much. Stars are the ATS version of Facebook likes. And flags are the ATS version of Facebook shares. They are not indicators of quality nor validity, but rather indicators of how much people care. I already know how much people care. The stars are pointless, especially since the RATS section is closed (as far as I know).

70% of the time, they mean nothing to me. And the rest of the time, it's only something that makes me smile or frown. That's all.
edit on 25-10-2012 by AfterInfinity because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 25 2012 @ 06:37 PM
link   
I dont care about stars or flags just CONTENT.
I don't care if the member is new or old just CONTENT.
Flags and stars don't equal quality to me.

Too many people care about stars and flags like they matter or mean something. Just because a thread has a lot of stars or flags doesn't mean it's a good thread. There are many awesome threads that are posted but they get lost on the boards. I usually search for threads by going to each forum I like individually then looking at the most recent threads posted. You would be surprised how many threads you find that you don't see on the boards because they got lost amongst the many threads.

One thing I have noticed is that the more simple threads get more attention than the well researched ones. There was a time when more people got involved in those more advanced threads but now everyone wants to post like it's a FB status with a witty comment or one line and nothing that really gives a conversation so you get pages of well something like FB comments. I'm not saying this to be pissy it's just true and I have been on here every single day since I joined. I seriously have no life lol I enjoy reading and i find lots of good material to read and research via ATS and things have changed since I joined. I have worked my way around it and just ignore certain things and I don't let it get to me anymore. It use to drive me nuts but that is probably my slight OCD. I don't like change lol

The one time i do star is when someone posts in a thread I made. I star every post in my threads. It is my way of saying thanks for taking the time to respond.

posted on Oct, 25 2012 @ 06:53 PM
link   
Personally, I go through the fire hose page and open in a new tab ALL threads that catch my eye for whatever reason. When I am done I begin reading through them not caring about the number of stars or flags.

As I read the opening post, if I feel the topic should have more attention I will flag it.
Going on down through all the responses, if I agree with whats said or I think the poster made a valid and good point I give a star.

Makes me laugh= Star
Makes a good point= Star
Agree strongly with= Star
Disagree with but good point= Star

I would think that most function here in a similar manner, idk. I am sure there are many here who don't star at all, weather they agree or not.

posted on Oct, 25 2012 @ 06:55 PM
link   
reply to post by ShadowLink

This is basically how I star as well.

posted on Oct, 25 2012 @ 07:01 PM
link   

Thread topic, pure and simple compels me to visit a thread. I dont even notice the stars or Flags untill I make the decision to Star and Flag it myself.

posted on Oct, 25 2012 @ 07:21 PM
link   
I don't usually pay attention to the stars but if I open a post and it has a lot of stars I tend to get more curious to see why.

I give stars if it's intelligent or even funny. I've given stars for effort and of course if I think it needs to hit the front page.

What I have wondered is if anyone has signed on as another username and starred their own threads? Not like they would admit it.

My quirk is I hate following threads after 5 or so pages. I find it overwhelming after that. Usually the key arguments are brought up in the first few pages.
edit on 25-10-2012 by TheLieWeLive because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 25 2012 @ 07:26 PM
link   
I don't care for star content or flag I will usually skim through threads . If I find it interesting enough I will pay a little more attention star and flag it. Like some one else said if it makes me laugh or a well written point I will star the post. I find it a little funny how people will star the popular atsERS on a rush one liner statement or do they have a fan base that follow them around ats ?

I also find it really depends what time of the day at 2 am mountain time there just isn't alot of people on here posting making threads ..

posted on Oct, 25 2012 @ 07:34 PM
link   
If i ever talk to benard i will be sure and tell him you have a soft spot for his stuff just as i do.

Many times i will flag and not star an op if he/she lacks the same ability as i do to convey an important message.

posted on Oct, 25 2012 @ 07:38 PM
link   

For me, it's the topic....

What ever I read, I always star the poster for their time and efforts on what ever the subject my be.

Some times when the poster is being attacked by others, if I can research on my own and find sources to help back up the point that the poster is trying to make, I post it. [I like to research]

And I love to laugh so any comment that makes me laugh, definitely gets a star!!

And not much offends me, so I'm pretty easy going.

And I too star any one who responds to my threads or comments, my way of saying thanks for reading....

I'm not too much into stars/flags, however, that being said, I do notice more favoritism to threads where the poster has accumulated more stars/flags than say one who has only a few. Just an observation, not a complaint.

But back to your original question, it's the subject matter that gets my attention.

PEACE
snarky

posted on Oct, 25 2012 @ 07:43 PM
link   

I find it a little funny how people will star the popular atsERS on a rush one liner statement or do they have a fan base that follow them around ats ?
reply to post by freedomSlave

I've noticed that too...

They might have a short one liner with numerous stars but the next poster with a more thought out comment only gets 2 or 3 stars.....

Several other people have commented on that in previous threads, so I guess people are noticing it more.

posted on Oct, 25 2012 @ 08:00 PM
link   
reply to post by snarky412

That is not always the case.
People star what they can understand and relate too even if the message is basically
the same as another.
details details details
Although sometimes one can get bogged down in them.

posted on Oct, 25 2012 @ 08:04 PM
link   
Stars are lame, they should have a thumbs down button and when it gets to a certain amount the thread goes into a shenanigans bin......

Gimme a star.........

posted on Oct, 26 2012 @ 01:47 AM
link   

No. I don't care about the stars at all. I start to read every post I open. I close about 75% of them in about 1 minute or less. I do a lot more reading than i do posting.

Nothing wrong with a short thread, or an under flagged/stared post, MANY of these are very good reads!!

posted on Oct, 26 2012 @ 01:49 AM
link   

Has anyone else noticed this, and do you find yourself responding more to starred threads? I'd love some honest answers, so please share.

Yes i noticed. Do i consider its a broken system? No not really, just makes me motivated to make new thread. I like continuous reinvention.

new topics

top topics

join