It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Colin Powell endorses Obama for second term

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 25 2012 @ 03:50 PM
link   

(Reuters) - Former U.S. Secretary of State Colin Powell on Thursday endorsed Barack Obama's bid for re-election, citing the Democratic president's efforts to wind down the war in Afghanistan and tackle terrorism as well as an improving U.S. economy.

"I think we ought to keep on the track that we are on," the Republican, who also backed Obama in 2008, told "CBS This Morning." He added, "I voted for him in 2008 and I plan to stick with him in 2012."

The move comes just days after Obama and Republican challenger Mitt Romney clashed over foreign policy in the third and last presidential debate ahead of the November 6 election.

Polls show Obama and Romney neck and neck. A Reuters/Ipsos online tracking poll gave Romney a 1-point edge on Wednesday, 47 percent to Obama's 46 percent.

Obama welcomed the endorsement at a rally in Richmond, Virginia.

"I was proud and humbled to learn that we have Colin Powell's support in this campaign. I'm grateful to him for his lifetime of service to his country both as a soldier and as a diplomat," he told the crowd.

The president earlier called Powell to thank him, White House spokesman Jay Carney told reporters aboard Air Force One before landing in Virginia, a battleground state where the military vote is important.

In his endorsement, Powell said domestic issues such as the economy, healthcare and education loomed large in his support for a second term for Obama.

"When he took over, the country was in very, very difficult straits, we were in one of the worst recessions we had seen in recent times, close to a depression ... we were in real trouble," Powell said, adding that housing market has started to pick up, the auto industry has recovered and consumer confidence is rising.

"I think generally we've come out of the dive and starting to gain altitude," he said. "I see that we are starting to rise up," he said, but added problems such as unemployment and the housing market still need work.

Powell also criticized Romney's foreign policy as inconsistent and questioned the former Massachusetts governor's ability to address the deficit and looming defense cuts.

"I'm not quite sure which Governor Romney we'd be getting with respect to foreign policy," he told CBS, calling Romney's foreign policy "a moving target."

As for the U.S. budget, he added: "It's essentially, let's cut taxes and compensate for that with other things, but that compensation does not cover all the cuts intended or the expenses associated with defense."

Powell, a moderate Republican, served as secretary of state under President George W. Bush. Some of Romney's advisers are more conservative veterans of the Bush administration.

"There's some very, very strong neo-conservative views that are presented by the governor that I have some trouble with," Powell said.

A retired four-star general, Powell was also chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff under former President George H.W. Bush and was national security advisor under former President Ronald Reagan.

Republican Senator John McCain, a harsh critic of the Obama administration's handling of the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan, blasted Powell's endorsement.

"General Powell, you disappoint us, and you have harmed your legacy even further by defending what has clearly been the most feckless foreign policy in my lifetime," McCain, the Republican presidential candidate who lost to Obama in 2008, told FOX News Radio's "Kilmeade & Friends" program.

www.reuters.com...

Ouch that has to hurt.

I didn’t expect Powell to endorse Obama again but his reasoning is sound. Like so many of us he doesn’t know which Mitt Romney we would get. McCain is worried about legacies while Powell is concerned about the country I think this demonstrates the divide in government more than anything. Powell is a moderate conservative where strong neo-conservative views bother him like most of us. I am glad he is standing up for what he believes in.

posted on Oct, 25 2012 @ 03:58 PM
link   
How is this any remote surprise?? Powell became a downright Bush hater after serving the first term of his Presidency. Baby Bush...not his service for Daddy. Personally, I think Powell has become like so many others. A Cheap political stooge....and I'd prefer to remember the man as one with some honor left in him. He crossed an active minefield in Vietnam, by all reports and witness accounts, to help one of his own men. That is the Powell I respect.

This Powell is just another talking head with mush between his ears. He's among the men CAPABLE of running and having more than cheap shots from the cheap seats. The fact he won't kinda shoots my respect for what cheap shots he chooses instead.

Surprise though? Wow... Powell being anti-Republican should be fully expected and a surprise would have been seeing him fail to Endorse Obama..just as he did in 2008. He only changed his stripes once and these are his true colors now, apparently. We'll all just forget the Powell that stood at the UN to sell the Iraq War with every ounce of effort he had to put into it.

posted on Oct, 25 2012 @ 04:08 PM
link   

seriously nobody buys his "I'm a republican" meme. I think he exposed himself in 2004 even though most will point to 2008.

posted on Oct, 25 2012 @ 04:11 PM
link   
Hindsight is always 20/20, we are in far better shape than 4 years ago. Just because some neocons refuse to believe it does not mean its not true. Some of the people in this site probably want the US to enter another depression so they can blame it on Obama.

We have made progress.

The last thing we need is to turn back.

4 more years

edit on 10/25/2012 by muse7 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 25 2012 @ 04:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

Wow because he is standing up for what he believes and not being a puppet you say he has mush for brains. That is so sad it’s no wonder the republican hope is Romney you guys deserve each other. Powell has more dignity and honor than Romney’s and all of his staff put together.

posted on Oct, 25 2012 @ 04:26 PM
link   
reply to post by Grimpachi

Well, in this specific man's case...which belief seems to change rather dramatically, by anyone's standards. It's fair to say his personal efforts largely led to the support and ability to start the war against Iraq in 2003. He didn't just read a speech...he's personally talked about reviewing the intelligence himself the evening prior to the big U.N. sales pitch for the war. He's PERSONALLY responsible for at least PART of that happening.....

His time to be a brave man and stand for principle came and went before so many died at what he directly helped make happen.

His attempts at atonement, if that's what this is.....Or politics out of his personal convenience (more likely) are far too little, too late and too far beyond what I could ever take as sincere.

What is this? *ANY* Endorsement is a good endorsement and we just ignore what a personal loser some people are or have become over time? This is the last one I'd have held up as a sign of great names to endorse if I were an Obama supporter. Just me though....

posted on Oct, 25 2012 @ 04:27 PM
link   
No surprise! He endorsed Obama back in 2008 and I lost respect for Powell long before that...

posted on Oct, 25 2012 @ 04:40 PM
link   

Actually I am an independent that this time around supports Obama what gets me is the things you just said could be applied to everyone that served under the Bush regime. I am not a dummy when it comes to what Powell has done I was directly affected because I served in those wars as a result but it disgusts me when for political reason a man’s service and integrity is questioned when he no longer supports the machine of war. There is plenty I disagree with about Iraq but I do not squarely blame him as some would like.

I have no doubt if he had endorsed Romney the right would be flaunting it everywhere. I first saw this story while flipping through channels and there was fox assassinating his character.

posted on Oct, 25 2012 @ 04:51 PM
link   
I've never liked him and I served for 21 years. Even when I joined he seemed to ride the coat tails of those in power, which is something I cannot normally say about a man wearing stars.

If his political convictions lead him to endorse the democrat for TWO consecutive elections, I firmly think its time he stopped claiming to be a republican.

He should say he does not back a political party, but looks for the best man for the job. I could respect that.
He should say his beliefs have changed and he is now a democrat. I could respect that.
He claims to be a republican and continues to endorse the democrat. I simply cannot respect that.

Would he also be endorsing Hillary if she had led the country for the last four years? Would he have endorsed her back in 2008? I highly doubt it, but that is just my opinion.

posted on Oct, 25 2012 @ 04:56 PM
link   

You have to be kidding me. Anyone in the administration??? Rumsfeld or Wolfowitz or Darth Vader himself weren't standing to COMPEL the world to join us...they weren't literally MAKING THE CASE.

Can Vader or Rumsfeld have a change of heart now and be taken all seriously too??? I mean really. how much do some forgive when the outcome is to their liking, yet would NEVER forgive in any other context?? Powell wasn't a part of the 2003 war. He was the literal, figurative and very enthusiastic FACE of it, selling it to World Leaders and insuring it happened.

* I can't help it... I can't resist the comparison because it DOES FIT. Baghdad had Bob and America had a Colin.
edit on 25-10-2012 by Wrabbit2000 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 25 2012 @ 05:38 PM
link   
reply to post by 200Plus

I never knew any generals personally I only met a few during inspections. Powell has said he is a moderate conservative something I do not see much of anymore. I think he has a right to call himself whatever he wants and I wish there were more moderates like him. Maybe he can’t support Romney because he hid behind his religion while pushing for others to fight in Vietnam for me that makes a big difference but more than likely it is just as he stated that he thinks Obama is the better choice I am not going to call for him to change his political affiliation because of it. Some may disagree and that is your right.

posted on Oct, 25 2012 @ 05:54 PM
link   

I've know a few Generals in my life. I really liked most of them. Not what many would expect from such a senior rank.

So if someone continues to endorse the democrat, why would they claim they are republican?

I agree that we do not share an opinion and that is our right as individuals. I hope I didn't say something that sounded like I wanted to force my will on others.

+EDIT+ why bring Romney's military record into it? Obama didn't serve either. Who in their right mind "wants" to go to war? Even if Powell was a soldier, this couldn't really play a part in the decision to back President Obama++
edit on 25-10-2012 by 200Plus because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 25 2012 @ 06:05 PM
link   
reply to post by 200Plus

It’s fine if we disagree I don’t have a problem with it. I remember hearing a politician say they didn’t leave their party the party left them and think this could be just another example of that in which case I am glad he still holds to his affiliation and I can only hope that one day the party normalizes back to being moderate one day. I used to vote republican but I just feel they have gone so far from what it meant to be republican that they no longer represent me.

As far as how generals are you definitely have more experience than I do with them. To be honest I tried to stay as far away from officers as I could when possible.

posted on Oct, 25 2012 @ 07:13 PM
link   
Perhaps Powell feels as many Republicans like myself; that when the Religious Right took over the party we find it hard to vote a strictly party ticket.

I still contribute to worthy GOP local politicians. Sorry, Romney sucks and I'm going for Johnson call me a RINO if you want but I've still some honor left and I don't think Romney/Ryan have any! Just empty suit neocons.
edit on 25-10-2012 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 25 2012 @ 07:19 PM
link   
They probably bought him off with a cabinet position if Obama gets a second term.

posted on Oct, 25 2012 @ 07:21 PM
link   

You have your opinion of Powell.

Me, he was the only one of Bush's circle I had any respect for.

He paid the Ultimate price for the Neocon Repubs, as his Statement at the UN gave the push for the Iraq War Legitimacy, his career ended with that Speech.

posted on Oct, 25 2012 @ 07:31 PM
link   
reply to post by Tw0Sides

Well, you're absolutely right. We do all have our own opinions. Ultimately, I have a relative who was a medic for the Battle of Haifs St. in Baghdad. Some may know that name...and what happened there. It wasn't monumental and it wasn't anything more than a footnote for the overall war....but it did a great deal of damage to the psyche of at least one guy who was there, and through him, I know it did physical damage to far more.

Just one battle..although one with a name and with mention in popular press for what the men there care either way. However, it's a battle a midst an entire war which never should have happened.

In your opinion, the man deserves respect. In mine, he's as much personally accountable for my relative's condition and the damage done to 10s of thousands of men as George Bush himself. WITHOUT Powell's big mouth and credibility to sweet talk and strong arm leaders around the world, that war may not have happened.

Yes.. We all have our opinions. We also have radically different levels of accountability we hold people to as well as concepts of what earns forgiveness,....or what acts can EVER receive it.

I guess that about runs all I have to say about a man who ONCE had honor...and now, I think of as the slime I get on my shoe, after the dogs have run the yard.

posted on Oct, 25 2012 @ 07:36 PM
link   
Colin Powell isn't a bad guy.
He was a good military officer and he stands up for his opinions even if they aren't popular.
I don't agree with him that Obama is making improvements.
I don't agree with Obama's handling of Afghanistan. Even if he does plan on pulling out, you don't broadcast your intentions to the enemy.
I think he's dead wrong about the economy.
All of that is opinion though.
I still respect Powell. I just don't happen to agree with him.

edit on 25-10-2012 by badgerprints because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 25 2012 @ 07:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wrabbit2000
How is this any remote surprise?? Powell became a downright Bush hater after serving the first term of his Presidency. Baby Bush...not his service for Daddy. Personally, I think Powell has become like so many others. A Cheap political stooge....and I'd prefer to remember the man as one with some honor left in him. He crossed an active minefield in Vietnam, by all reports and witness accounts, to help one of his own men. That is the Powell I respect.

This Powell is just another talking head with mush between his ears. He's among the men CAPABLE of running and having more than cheap shots from the cheap seats. The fact he won't kinda shoots my respect for what cheap shots he chooses instead.

Surprise though? Wow... Powell being anti-Republican should be fully expected and a surprise would have been seeing him fail to Endorse Obama..just as he did in 2008. He only changed his stripes once and these are his true colors now, apparently. We'll all just forget the Powell that stood at the UN to sell the Iraq War with every ounce of effort he had to put into it.

TL;DR: Powell is stupid now that he doesn't support the person you support.

Funny how that works.

posted on Oct, 25 2012 @ 08:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Taiyed

You'll never find a post in my history on this site, Prison Planet's archives running back a year before I came here....or Yahoo's various areas years before that which contradict what I am saying about my position on Powell. Before you start accusing people of being so low class as to take as major a stand as I have here....purely for political expediency, I'd expect more than a one liner to back it. Perhaps even an example of where I'd done something to support your assertion.

SOME people still HAVE some integrity. Believe it or not.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join