It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Entire Brazilian Tribe Threatens Suicide Over Land Eviction

page: 5
<< 2  3  4   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 27 2012 @ 06:38 PM
link   

edit on 27-10-2012 by papazen because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 27 2012 @ 06:39 PM
link   
reply to post by Echtelion

Do you always start a conversation that way with people you do not know?
Then why start one with a condescending phrase such as " you dont know history dont you" just because there is a computer between us, you sound like kid that way.
And besides I think you make absolutely no sense and have no idea what I was talking about .

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 07:05 AM
link   
1% has all the money and power, so they make damn sure the other 99% gets no peace and most of all: never unity. that's why men learn to hate women, to rape traded women, racism and so on...

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 12:26 PM
link   
Clearly these guys did not ever watch a scary movie. build over a native's graveyard and you end up opening a dimensional gate to hell.

posted on Oct, 30 2012 @ 03:14 AM
link   
Suicide? Who cares, let them, that's like free candy. I say if you are willing to die anyways, for nothing, go OUT SWINGING, IM sure they can muster up some kind of poison dart/arrow combo and take some out on the way out to boot!

IM all for preserving cultures, IM even for preserving native cultures that want to stay that way on their land living the old way kind of like the Amish (did anyways) and teaching others of their culture(think tourist trap). But the woman(wife?) next to him wearing regular old plain clothes and just him painted(and not done very well) looks out of place, if they aren't going to follow the old ways and stay simple or traditional, then they should just give up and learn to assimilate.
Besides what's 150 people(that don't pay taxes?), its like a drop in a bucket compared to what we kill on a daily basis heh, let alone how many usa wiped out before it was born.

posted on Oct, 30 2012 @ 04:40 AM
link   
Where the hell is the U.N now?

The United Nations Declaration on the Rights of Indigenous Peoples was adopted by the United Nations General Assembly during its 61st session at UN Headquarters in New York City on 13 September 2007.

While as a General Assembly Declaration it is not a legally binding instrument under international law, according to a UN press release, it does "represent the dynamic development of international legal norms and it reflects the commitment of the UN's member states to move in certain directions"; the UN describes it as setting "an important standard for the treatment of indigenous peoples that will undoubtedly be a significant tool towards eliminating human rights violations against the planet's 370 million indigenous people and assisting them in combating discrimination and marginalisation."

Source

posted on Oct, 30 2012 @ 10:15 AM
link   
deleted post..sorry guys
edit on 30-10-2012 by voyger2 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 30 2012 @ 10:45 AM
link   
reply to post by voyger2

Sorry but I am unsure if this is a joke of some sort or is this actual footage from the evacuation.

My gut feeling tells me that this is a joke. In the small chance that this is real footage I apologize but could you please provide a link?

If it is a joke, I do not find any humor in it. Just saying.
edit on 30-10-2012 by Corruption Exposed because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 30 2012 @ 10:49 AM
link   
reply to post by Corruption Exposed

I took this image from here: plus.google.com.../posts/hGg74cPvjHF
I hope you can see it...
I will try to find more about it..

edit: more here: www.rededemocratica.org...:belo-monte

posted on Oct, 30 2012 @ 11:10 AM
link   
reply to post by Corruption Exposed

Well .. i think this problem is solved... that picture is from August 2012.. As i read here : g1.globo.com...
"Índios, ribeirinhos e moradores de comunidades rurais do sudoeste do Pará desocuparam o canteiro de obras da usina hidrelétrica de Belo Monte, em Altamira. O protesto, que durou nove dias, foi usado para pressionar a empresa Norte Energia a investir em melhorias para a região."

The protest has stoped.. it lasted for nine days, but now (19/10/2012) they made an agreement with natives:

"Após duas audiências de conciliação, a Norte Energia se comprometeu em atender as reivindicações dos índios. Está prevista a construção de postos de saúde, escolas, pistas de pouso e de torres de linhas telefônicas, além da manutenção de geradores de energia"

they promissed to build schools, health centers, comunications and energy generators..

well sorry for the buzz... it seems the social call was able to alert for the problem but it hasn't move the same way for the solution... social delay i say

posted on Oct, 30 2012 @ 11:47 AM
link   
Hate to say it, but whoever has the money calls the shots.

Poor people or people living primitively don't have much money.

So they don't call the shots.

Poor people don't run this world, they just act as cheap labor.

There're rights too, but again, poor people tend to not understand their rights. Furthermore, greed for more money can cause governments to reduce the rights of people in favor of industry.

There's also the prejudice that "civilized" people have for uncivilized people. This is especially true when they get mixed up because of circumstances. The "civilized" people almost always win. The "civilized" people will blame crime and bad conditions and infestations on the uncivilized and use it as an excuse to discriminate and inhibit the abiilty of the uncivilized to climb the economic ladder. Personally, I think it's an instinct to keep poor people poor so cheap labor is available.

Ultimately, it's natural selection. People who refuse to modernize/change die off. Our world is increasingly gaining knowledge and technology. People have to keep pace with it or...

...or they die off. This is true for poor people except when they're cheap labor.

Our world has physical laws of conservation. Issues of land and mineral resources and so on. These things push us all into a condition of scarcity and competition and war and ... tough choices. Love won't solve this problem. Jesus won't either. Science can't eliminate conservation laws. I've thought about this problem for a long time and the only thing I can think is that this universe is farming intelligence. I mean, it's farming. Even our own body is farming energies that we consume and breath so that our consciousness can exist. Something in or outside our universe needs this universe to farm. Without laws of conservation there'd be no way to farm something specific for later use.

I wish I had a positive outlook on it, but I'm neutral. Nature is both beautiful and ugly. I believe that we're as hopeless to change this universe as ants are to read Shakespeare. But you know, there're about as many ant cells as there're human cells on earth. At least we're not alone. Life is everywhere around us. This gauntlet called life at least gave us friends so we can suffer this ratrace together. And there're moments when I'm in awe of the complexity of this universe. At least we have names, no? I can't imagine what a universe would be like that doesn't have these conservation laws. I can't imagine having a name in that universe. Maybe there can never be a universe without them. Maybe there's just a vast collection of universes and they all farm? In that case, make the best of it!

If person wants to believe they can change it, that's fine. Belief is an answer in some sense, since I don't think we can change the fundamental laws. Belief is as old as the beginning of life. Sadly, belief can only trick those who believe but it can't trick people who do not. But it's better than nothing?

Intent of this post was to share some thoughts I've had over the past couple years about conservation laws and how limitations placed on us force us to act in ignorance. Basically, I don't blame anybody specifically for what's happening to this Brazilian tribe. Sure, I could get angry at the land owners or the government or international interests or who knows what's out there. But I think getting angry about it is to forget where this all comes from. Naturally, I want to see people respected and for people not to fight or to steal or lie or deceive or whatever. But at the same time, if we don't know the source of something, how can we hope to solve it? While I don't think we can eliminate conservation laws, I think that understand that they play a pivotal role is important. For me, it removes some of the anger and hate I might feel towards others. It make me see everyone as humans. It removes the mystery of evil and good and replaces it with something more tangible.
edit on 30-10-2012 by jonnywhite because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 30 2012 @ 11:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by pheonix358
Our fore fathers took away the land from the Indians, and the aboriginals, and all of the 'underdeveloped ' peoples. We are not responsible for the sins of our fathers..

We are not responsible for the destruction of the South American Ancient Civilizations, nor the destruction of the Zulu people. None of this was our responsibility. WE can take solace that we were not responsible.

Well, guess what, this is here and now!

NOW you can take some responsibility. Yes, now is the time!

Oh, wait, what was that ....... it's not your country ........ nothing to do with you ....... but it is sad though ........ we can all lament.

Of course we could all ring the Brazilian embassy, we could all ring our politicians ......... couldn't hurt!

Or we can sit here and just lament the loss of another indigenous tribe lost for our selfish need to have that nice Brazilian veneer that looks so nice on the floor.

Just another brick in the wall of global injustice. GOYA

P

edit on 26/10/2012 by pheonix358 because: error,error, error.

Good points.

However, the Zulu people are alive and well.

They are currently the largest ethnic and tribal group in South Africa.
en.wikipedia.org...

Our President, Jacob Zuma, is a Zulu.

The Zulus were conquered by the British (as were the white Boer people), however the farming black population was not entirely dispossessed or exterminated.
In fact, in 1905 the entire black population of British southern Africa was 4.6 million (including modern South Africa, Zimbabwe, Botswana, Lesotho and Swaziland).
toxinews.blogspot.com...
By 1994 it was over 40 million in SA alone, and it's currently estimated at 53 million.

In southern Africa my concern is more about the survival of the indigenous Khoisan people, who were dispossessed by both white and black farmers (who came from the Congo region, largely between the 9th-17th centuries).
A major concern is the removal of San (Bushmen) people from the Kalahari in Botswana to facilitate diamond mining on their ancestral land.

The Zulus kept a reserve, but their leaders never wanted an independent homeland under apartheid, which would have reduced them to immigrants as employees in SA.

In 1994 the old "homeland" of KwaZulu merged with the Province of Natal to become KwaZulu-Natal (KZN).
en.wikipedia.org...

The Zulu royalty has always been well supported and funded by SA taxpayers:
www.iol.co.za...

In the 2011-2012 financial year the trust was allocated R12 million from the R55m budget of the Royal Household Department, but overspent by R5.1m.

There are 7 main royal families in SA from different tribes, and they just totally abuse the taxpayers, their subjects and the country.

Added to this are "upgrades" of R240 million that President Zuma has made to his tribal homestead in Nkandla (KZN), while many of his people, and the taxpayers of SA live in financial insecurity, or abject poverty.
mg.co.za...

edit on 30-10-2012 by halfoldman because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 30 2012 @ 05:17 PM
link   
Whatever the case in other countries, the situation of the Guarani in Brazil seems very direct and serious indeed:

Brazilian Indians threaten suicide:

posted on Oct, 30 2012 @ 10:29 PM
link   
As given and described, this case makes me ashamed to be a citizen of a BRICS country.
BRICS is an association of emerging market countries - Brazil, Russia, India, China (and since 2012) South Africa.
en.wikipedia.org...

There are evictions and land disputes and claims across the world every day.

But this is really unacceptable.

And then to fine and punish an organization set up to help Amazonian indigenous peoples like FUNAI (www.survivalinternational.org...) - how can that even happen?
That's almost like collective punishment, which is immoral.

top topics

<< 2  3  4   >>

join