It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Entire Brazilian Tribe Threatens Suicide Over Land Eviction

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 26 2012 @ 07:48 AM
link   
Our fore fathers took away the land from the Indians, and the aboriginals, and all of the 'underdeveloped ' peoples. We are not responsible for the sins of our fathers..

We are not responsible for the destruction of the South American Ancient Civilizations, nor the destruction of the Zulu people. None of this was our responsibility. WE can take solace that we were not responsible.

Well, guess what, this is here and now!

NOW you can take some responsibility. Yes, now is the time!

Oh, wait, what was that ....... it's not your country ........ nothing to do with you ....... but it is sad though ........ we can all lament.

Of course we could all ring the Brazilian embassy, we could all ring our politicians ......... couldn't hurt!

Or we can sit here and just lament the loss of another indigenous tribe lost for our selfish need to have that nice Brazilian veneer that looks so nice on the floor.

Just another brick in the wall of global injustice. GOYA

P

edit on 26/10/2012 by pheonix358 because: error,error, error.

posted on Oct, 26 2012 @ 08:46 AM
link   
reply to post by Corruption Exposed

ya you are right , this is just publicity stunt

posted on Oct, 26 2012 @ 09:37 AM
link   

I think there is more to this than meets the eye.

I've heard there are many Industrial projects going on in Brazilia and the Amazon and I reckon if they don't leave, they could shot and we'll be told they committed suicide!!

Owner of ranch may have been offered tons of cash to sell up!

posted on Oct, 26 2012 @ 09:45 AM
link   
Maybe someone can contact these people, They like to help others. Instead of trying to pin the blame on someone, or some country, or some generation. Actual help is what these people need, not armchair whatevers.
Forbes has a list of the worlds top Philanthropists of the year....... surely they might consider this cause, and buy out the owner
edit on 26-10-2012 by Plotus because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 26 2012 @ 10:06 AM
link   
reply to post by JohnPhoenix

Can you translate this? I tried to with google translate but it says the URL is invalid. I want to know, exactly what is this petition supposed to do?

It means "We're going to impede the collective suicide of these Indians"
or, "Let's stop the mass suicide of the Indians."

Petition to save their homeland.
I think. I speak Spanish, quite similar to Portuguese, so I'm basing my translation on the Latin base. I could be wrong, though.
edit on 26-10-2012 by wildtimes because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 26 2012 @ 10:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by Philippines

Originally posted by LiberLegit
Who cares? They are probably just talking bull# anyways. Times have changed.

You're right, times have changed. So when China comes to the USA wanting its debt collateral, you know things like mortgage backed securities (maybe your house, maybe not) -- who would really care?)

Would you care if the government said you have to move because the land you live on is not yours? (and maybe it isn't.)

That happens here in the United States, that happened here in Chicago with the Ohare airport expansion. They needed to add runways but didnt have the space so they expanded into near by neighborhoods basically kicking the residents out of their homes.

posted on Oct, 26 2012 @ 10:40 AM
link   
reply to post by jhn7537

It happened in Kansas City, too, when the city tried to build on the Huron graveyard, a sacred place to them.

In July of 1843, 664 members of the Wyandotte Nation were moved from Ohio to Kansas. While camped along the Missouri River, illness went through the camp and 50 to 100 of the Wyandots died. Their bodies were carried across the river to the Kansas Territory, to a ridge which overlooked the Kansas and Missouri Rivers and Kansas City's Huron Indian Cemetery was established.

Later that year, the Wyandots were granted the land that included the ridge and it continued to by used as a cemetery. When the local members of the Wyandotte Nation were dissolved as a tribe and its members became American Citizens in 1855, the cemetery continued to be used. Four years later, the Town of Wyandot was incorporated and the Huron Cemetery was within its boundaries. This community would become part of Kansas City in Wyandotte County.

By the 1890s, the Huron Indian Cemetery was prime land and developers, wanting to purchase the cemetery land, negotiated with the Wyandotte Nation in Oklahoma. In 1906, the Secretary of the Interior was instructed to sell the land with the remains to be moved to the Quindaro Cemetery.

A respectful family barricaded themselves on the burial ground and for two years maintained their vigil to keep people out, posting "Trespass at Your Peril". The courts sympathized with their effort but did not rule in their favor.

Even the placing of the Huron Indian Cemetery on the National Register of Historic Sites years later in 1971 didn't stop those wanting to exploit the land. Controversy continued until 1997 as the Wyandotte Nation of Oklahoma tried to turn the cemetery into a gambling place.
Huron Indian Cemetery
It's still there, I've spent time in the park. Very eery feeling. It is, as the link says, often vandalized and not in a terrific neighborhood. Sad.

It is believed that there are over 400 bodies buried in Huron Indian Cemetery, though only a small number of the graves are marked. In 1991 the City of Kansas City Kansas, installed over 70 new grave markers, but the new markers and few remaining original grave markers continue to vandalized.

The Huron Indian Cemetery is open dawn to dusk. The grounds are attractive, but unkempt and vandalism continues. The neighborhood is one in which you may meet unusual people.

It makes me feel sick how callous "the victors" can be to the sentimentalities and cherished traditions of less "sophisticated" cultures. I wish my ancestors had stayed where they were, actually. I probably wouldn't be here (born at all), because they were from Germany, Poland, Russia, Ireland, England, Scotland.

EVERY ONE of them who came here did it to SURVIVE, to escape from tyranny and poverty and hardship and being forced out of their homelands.

You'd think humanity would learn.

posted on Oct, 26 2012 @ 12:19 PM
link   
reply to post by jude11

well the usa has moved indians here as they saw fit if the land they happened to put them on in the first place was deemed valuable.

I do not understand how this is any different... oh wait ti isn't

posted on Oct, 26 2012 @ 12:31 PM
link   
its an interesting idea.

this planet is being utterly destroyed. those in power sell this destruction as progress.

what if people around he world started committing suicide demanding an end to the destruction and war on the planet?

posted on Oct, 26 2012 @ 12:37 PM
link   
reply to post by lacrimaererum

That would be seen as a good thing since apparently those same people see overpopulation as a problem. They get a two fer

posted on Oct, 26 2012 @ 12:42 PM
link   
Horrible and Sad...
Maybe the Brazilian government is actually hoping for them to commit mass suicide and be done with it....

I hope the issue can be resolved without loss of life....

posted on Oct, 26 2012 @ 12:44 PM
link   

In a letter to Brazil's Justice Minsitry, he wrote: 'This tribe has had its culture and lands attacked for centuries. They could now go down in history as being the tribe which wiped themselves out by committing collective suicide.

It's just a sad situation. I'm with you op I hope all involved are able to resolve this in a better manner.

Thanks 4 the thread.

posted on Oct, 26 2012 @ 12:44 PM
link   

I do care and yes times have changed....for the worst. Times could change for better if we would cherish the knowledge that these people have to live in harmony with nature. Something that we need dearly today because our life styles are unsustainable and we are forgetting how important it is for us to be in tune with our surroundings. And that will be our demise

posted on Oct, 26 2012 @ 12:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by votan
reply to post by lacrimaererum

That would be seen as a good thing since apparently those same people see overpopulation as a problem. They get a two fer

you reckon?

what about when their own kids start doing it? how would they feel then?

posted on Oct, 26 2012 @ 12:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by Philippines

You're right, times have changed. So when China comes to the USA wanting its debt collateral, you know things like mortgage backed securities (maybe your house, maybe not) -- who would really care?)

Would you care if the government said you have to move because the land you live on is not yours? (and maybe it isn't.)

Now you realize that mortgage-backed securities are ultimately funded by our own mortgages? To be honest with you, it was our fault for taking on mortgages we couldn't pay back and falling for teaser rates. If China wants to come over and take our land, we can only blame ourselves.

posted on Oct, 26 2012 @ 12:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by papazen

I do care and yes times have changed....for the worst. Times could change for better if we would cherish the knowledge that these people have to live in harmony with nature. Something that we need dearly today because our life styles are unsustainable and we are forgetting how important it is for us to be in tune with our surroundings. And that will be our demise

I'm sorry but a mound of hippy rubbish doesn't equate to a decent argument. These people don't "live in tune with nature" they suffer along with it their entire lives. I'm with you, we do rely to much on technology these days, but I doubt we can learn anything from them - and maybe the less of them whining the better.

Cultures and tribes move land constantly, it's called adaptability. You can't just live on a land and call it your own, if that were the case the homeless would own the sidewalk up to my local 7/11, etc. If they can't be adaptable like the rest of us, then they can kill themselves and let evolution sort itself out.
edit on 26-10-2012 by LiberLegit because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 26 2012 @ 01:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by UltraMarine

ya you are right , this is just publicity stunt

Just to clarify, I said it could be a publicity stunt but I'm leaning towards this threat being serious. A member on page one mentioned that this has happened in the past and I believe some type of compromise should be reached where this tribe can remain on the land.

A lot of interesting points have been brought up so far and this could have some conspiracy behind it...like the member who theorized that perhaps the owner of the ranch was offered a deal he couldn't refuse.

I hope that this gets resolved without mass death that's for sure.

posted on Oct, 26 2012 @ 01:59 PM
link   
To their people, they feel they will have nothing without their land. Their land is their lifeblood. It holds their memories, their beliefs, and all that is sacred to them. Take it away, and they know they will have to scatter to places they don't want to be in. I am so sad that they will end their lives, but I understand it.

posted on Oct, 26 2012 @ 02:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by votan
reply to post by jude11

well the usa has moved indians here as they saw fit if the land they happened to put them on in the first place was deemed valuable.

I do not understand how this is any different... oh wait ti isn't

They moved my people to what was supposed to be our land, then they came back and kept fighting for pieces of it, year after year. Mined uranium on it, made people sick and babies born dead or malformed. The land given to us is never really ours it is theirs. It's all an illusion, but we still fight for it.

posted on Oct, 26 2012 @ 02:09 PM
link   
I was very moved by this article and their conviction, so I will write the Brazilian embassy in Chicago.

I think if more people speak out it will help their cause.

Chicago
Consulate General of Brazil in Chicago (no web site)
401 North Michigan Avenue, Suite 3050
Chicago, IL 60611
(312) 464-0244
Fax: (312) 464-0299
E-mail: [email protected]
Jurisdiction:_Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, Nebraska, North Dakota, South Dakota and Wisconsin

www.brazil-help.com...

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join