It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

We are all annonymous - The rise of hacktivism

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 25 2012 @ 01:41 PM
link   
Really interesting documentary about the rise of internet activism, mainly focusing on the phenomenon spawned at 4chan that has become known as 'anonymous' but is now a worldwide phenomenon.

This is a two minute excerpt from the documentary, and shows what happens when someone tries to attack annonymous in person via the media:

The Power of Anon when provoked

In summary, it covers internet activism starting with project chanology (an anti-scientology declaration of war, see the original video Message to Scientology) all the way up to the modern day with wikileaks and the influence of hackers in the arab spring.

I should point out that anonymous is not a certain group of people. Anon is an idea. Information wants to be free, and what people often fail to understand is that Anonymous isn't a unified group. Technically it isn't even a group. The nature of Anonymous allows anyone to claim to be part of it and do anything in their name - and have just as much right to it as anyone else.

Anonymous has a rich history, from taking down Neo-NAZI radio hosts all the way up to the modern day use of hacking techniques to help overthrow corrupt regimes in the middle East. Annonymous members were pivotal in enabling the Egyptian people to reconnect to the internet when Mubarak took down the internet.

The group uses the mask from V for vendatta when making their videos or protesting.

Before people reply with anti hacker sentiments below I should point out that nearly all malware is bundled by corporations in competition with someone, or infecting rivals illegal downloads with actually nasty software on rare occasions to try to get people to buy their own product.

Most hackers that people hate are hackers that work with a money agenda for big business, not hacktivists.

Their main goal is trying to create a world with less deceit lying and corporate greed.

But that's secondary to their 'just doing it for the lulz' mission, I think. They have a very good sense of humor.

That's more Lulzsec to be fair (see LulzSec to Takes Down CIA.gov), as they once attacked the media, which made them by principle not part of annonymous, and so they re-branded and split under this new name.

We are all anonymous.

"Beneath this mask there is an idea, Mr. Creedy, and ideas are bulletproof"

Full 1:30:00 documentary here:

edit on 25-10-2012 by ZeuZZ because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 25 2012 @ 01:58 PM
link   
reply to post by ZeuZZ

The HB Garry attack was epic. But more importantly was the information leaked from their emails.. Implicating government agencies paid these dudes to create trojans... Some internet security company they turned out to be..

posted on Oct, 26 2012 @ 07:39 PM
link   
Found out today that guardian newspaper (considered on of the most trusted UK newspapers by liberals) actually has a running section on their webpage about anonymous activity, which you can see here: www.guardian.co.uk...

And this is their wiki, which is far from perfect but gives a good overview: en.wikipedia.org...
edit on 26-10-2012 by ZeuZZ because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 26 2012 @ 07:47 PM
link   
reply to post by ZeuZZ

It's narrated by Barrett Brown, no!!!!! I respect Anonymous for a lot of things they did, but this guy gets on my nerves. It seems like he likes himself too much. The way he talks, it seems like he likes to hear himself talk.
Pretending to be Anonymous's spokesperson when they don't need one.Maybe I recognize myself in him.
edit on 26-10-2012 by sebHFX because: (no reason given)

top topics

join