It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

It's The Most Wonderful Time Of The Year

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 25 2012 @ 10:43 AM
link   
Well, it’s that time of year again! You know what I mean. That festive time of year where the best in people really shines through and we see altruism and brotherly love at a year-to-date high. That’s right, the holidays.

Already this joyous season, I have been witness to two knock-down, drag-out verbal brawls taking place in two of the big-box stores parking lots. Every imaginable four letter word in every conceivable assemblage, being spewed by adults of an age well old enough to know better and both, occurring within earshot of my children and many others.

In one instance, I spoke up as the sole voice of reason, asking the jolly folk to open their eyes to the outlandish irrationality of the “disagreements” they were having over something as trivial as parking and in the other instance, I was the second person, acting as “backup”, the both of us loudly and strongly pleading with the delinquents to watch their mouths and get a grip.

Every time I get involved in checking the tempers of strangers who feel their right to “freedom of expression” permits them to use the foulest and most sordid language in public (usually in the company of the children of strangers) I am castigated by my wife. The classic admonition being that I’m “going to get [my]self killed”. Is this what our society has been reduced to, that we just mosey along, eyes cast down, not speaking up in the name of comity and civility decorum and humanity for a fear of vicious retaliation from the offending parties? Reprehensible.

Upon me are the early signs that point to what I can expect to follow in the coming months and I have to wonder about our next big capitalistic gala, the notorious Black Friday. Oh, the spectacle it has become, what with the trampling of senior citizens, the baleful practices of corporate greed mongers and the general good behavior our fellow tellurians. I can wait to see what sociological dysfunctions manifest this year. We can all pop our popcorn and crack open a bubbly beverage and wait for the ghastly news to stream in about the magnanimous acts that have occurred across the continent. Oh, what fun it is...

Funny that we look back at the Romans and their coliseum with our noses turned up in repugnance at the putrid display that must have been that blood sport. Nurturing our feelings of superciliousness in regards to their despicable displays of savagery. Yet, many of us do the same thing with our consumption and proliferation of spectacle of death and mayhem by choosing the sin of commission in seeking out similar modern-day displays of savagery or by indifferently committing the sin of omission by both allowing these stories to find us and when they do, not speaking our mind on the whole debacle.

I implicate myself in this judgement. I have been far from innocent in this regard and that’s why I will continue to vocalize my issues with these exhibits when they reach my front door. I persuade you to do the same. Practice peace. Keep the peace by guarding it jealously. Don’t allow us to be caged and doped. Don’t let the animals run the zoo.

Daniel L.
edit on 25-10-2012 by Philodemus because: Missing prep.

edit on 25-10-2012 by Philodemus because: loose ends

posted on Oct, 25 2012 @ 11:02 AM
link   
Alls I heard in my head was the narrator from the movie "The Christmas Story" reading your post.

posted on Oct, 25 2012 @ 01:58 PM
link   
Can't even swear in front of a cop over here for fear of arrest due to the public order act.

Look at one funny and you'll be threatend with one.

Freedom of exspression?! I wish!

join