It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A proper introduction..

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 25 2012 @ 04:33 AM
link   
Hello everyone, new member here, nice to meet you all.
I've been following ATS for some time now, and there's so many interesting subjects to dig into, so i had to register..
I am Nick, i come from Greece, and more specifically from an island in the eastern Aegean called Chios.
What's unique about this island(apart from its history) is a tree called "Sxinos" that produces a gum called "Mastiha"(Mastic). The conditions needed for the tree to produce(and stabilize) the gum are very rare, and almost exclusive to the ground/climate of Chios.
I've studied Architecture in the UK, and I am now the owner of a cyber cafe in Chios, pursuing my lifelong love of Video-games and technology

As such, i have plenty of online time at my hands, and I try to make use of it as constructively as possible.
I am no stranger to forums and chats, I see them as great places for learning and contributing to the collective upbringing of mankind. I always encourage the kids that spend so much time online at my store, to do the same, to learn and to evolve from it..
The internet is a great tool, and when used properly, can be the vessel of evolution for our consciousness.
As Michio Kaku states "the internet is the phone system of a type 1 civilization" the next step for us.

So that's it from me, I'll see you down the road..

posted on Oct, 25 2012 @ 04:37 AM
link   
Welcome. What kind of video games do you like?

posted on Oct, 25 2012 @ 04:39 AM
link   
reply to post by spiralarchitect

Welcome to the site! i like Michio too
See you on the boards.

posted on Oct, 25 2012 @ 04:54 AM
link   
reply to post by justin366

All of them!

Well, I lived and watched the evolution of games and pc from Amiga and 3-Bit Atari to today's super-machines.. and even though graphics become better and better daily, games are losing character..So i'm a bit of a retro games fan (X-com, Final Fantasy series, Bioshock series, Total War series etc).
But then again, it's my "job" to get all the new games and test them before adding them to my gaming cafe, so I've played pretty much everything that's come out in the last 10 years..

posted on Oct, 25 2012 @ 05:31 AM
link   
Welcome ,I'm a big COD MW3 fan. Can't wait for black ops 2 next month!

posted on Oct, 25 2012 @ 06:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by spiralarchitect
and even though graphics become better and better daily, games are losing character..

You sir, are a dang genius. Very few see this trend. I am very glad that some people see what is happening to video games. I think it can be chalked up to corporate greed. Games like "Call of Duty" like to focus on the mindless task of "leveling up" and I see it spreading to all venues and slowly destroying the heart that many games originally had.

Just look at Halo for example. Halo 4 does seem to have a few good improvements and will probably have an alright story. However, with the introduction of a very similar "leveling up" structure to Call of Duty I see that becoming the focal point of the game and less the game itself.

Way I see it Call of Duty went down hill after number 4 (Modern warfare 1). And Halo seemed to go down hill after number 3. Also the introduction of all these increasingly mind numbing games such as World of Warcraft and Runescape that just foster the materialism in people, I think they ruin the spirit of video games.

Not to say that those games cant be enjoyed if you dont get carried away.

Anyways, sorry for ranting but I just had to say that. Welcome to ATS and I hope to hear more from you on here. Seem to have a real level head, and your right that was a proper introduction. I will flag just for that statement.

edit on 25-10-2012 by Renegade2283 because: Cant star (whoops)

posted on Oct, 25 2012 @ 06:10 AM
link   
Welcome to the family. Great introduction, you'll fit in well here. See you out on the boards.

posted on Oct, 25 2012 @ 06:42 AM
link   
reply to post by Renegade2283

Even though the majority of games of the last decade are just mindless graphic sluts - products of corporate invention, there are some diamonds to be found.
Doom 3, Bioshock, Fallout 3, Borderlands1+2, Mass effect 2, Driver, Warcraft 3, and a few more, all have great storyline, gameplay, voiceacting. Overall great character.
But they are getting fewer as the smaller gaming companies get absorbed by mega-corporations.
See what happened to Blizzard, Activision, once small companies with ingenuity and gamer mentality, have now turned into money-sucking scumbags. They just re-chew the same stuff year in year out and sell crap for gold.
The future of gaming is unfortunately 99% MMO.
That may be good for interaction and communication between gamers, but the online experience is usually dictated by foulmouthed preteens, and elitist slobs running warfare campaigns on all that's decent from their mom's basement..

Anyway..it's easy to get carried away in a rant when talking about games...so i'll stop here..
Some great stuff coming out this year.. The new Tomb Raider, Two Souls, Xenonauts, etc..

posted on Oct, 30 2012 @ 01:44 AM
link   
reply to post by spiralarchitect

Have you ever heard of Alex the Kid?, i think it was set for mega master system 3, that was the best child game i have ever come across

posted on Oct, 30 2012 @ 12:13 PM
link   
reply to post by FeelingPure

Hhahaha..alex kidd...

I remember myself as a 10year old boy hugging the glass window of a games store to see better.. inside there was a master system on display with a tv screen playing alex kidd all day... it was the first 8 bit game i ever saw.. and what a leap it was from the blocky 3bit games of atari 2600... it was the future!!!

thanks for the flashback m8..

top topics

join