It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A possible 9000 year old map found in Finland.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 25 2012 @ 03:50 AM
link   
Just out the oven. I will make a brief post and update when I get the chance to.

The found hasn't been classified as a map yet, but the research process is on the way. The finder himself thought it could be lichen, but after further investigations the patterns and appearance didn't quite match.

There was a warm period and dry period about 6000-9000 years ago in Scandinavia so this could be the oldest map in the world. Notice, _could be_.

I'm looking forward to how this turns out. I'll keep you up to date.

posted on Oct, 25 2012 @ 03:54 AM
link   
Looks interesting. Like yourself, I'm looking forward to seeing how this plays out.

S&F

Rev

posted on Oct, 25 2012 @ 04:00 AM
link   
reply to post by OnWhiteMars

Interesting find if true.
Can you clarify where you found this? A link to some more info maybe? Any investigation ungoing?
In other words: out of which oven you pulled this?
Thanks.

edit on 25/10/12 by Movhisattva because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 25 2012 @ 04:03 AM
link   

Based on what? Who suggested that might be a map? That could be anything/nothing...

edit on 25-10-2012 by gladtobehere because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 25 2012 @ 04:07 AM
link   
Do you mind telling where did you find this?

Interesting found anyway, even if it end up being only a rock lol

posted on Oct, 25 2012 @ 04:18 AM
link   

Sources?, also i do not think that is a map personally my freind

posted on Oct, 25 2012 @ 04:36 AM
link   
Here is translated source: Petroglyph: The world's oldest map - estimated age of 9000 years
edit on 25-10-2012 by redbore because: (no reason given)

edit on 25-10-2012 by redbore because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 25 2012 @ 04:42 AM
link   
There are a few tabloids, local and national papers writing about this.

Aamulehti
Uutisaalto
Iltalehti

The original source seems to be a local paper.

KVM

As I said, 'possible'. It could be nothing. I did a little dig myself and my conclusion is lichen... waiting for some updates on the news though.

A special kind of lichen looks like this. It's called 'karttajäkälä' = 'map'lichen

posted on Oct, 25 2012 @ 04:45 AM
link   

You did say possible rather than definitive and this was an interesting spot, particularly that extra info. I have to say, looking at your external image, the "map lichen" looks the strongest contender (as opposed to it being a 9'000 year old map).

Which would mean you have just debunked yourself!

posted on Oct, 25 2012 @ 04:50 AM
link   
reply to post by Flavian

Heh, no debunking needed. I wasn't for or against. I just thought it was a really interesting find and wanted to share it. Further more, I stumbled across an even older stone map being studied in Zaragosa, Spain. This is supposed to be 14000 years old, and I think it is a much more stronger candidate for the thrown.

But still, waiting on updates on the topic from national publications.

posted on Oct, 25 2012 @ 04:54 AM
link   
It's extremely improbable that's a 9000 year old map.

People simply did not 'see' things on that kind of scale.
Nor did they picture their landscapes from an orbital style perspective.

Here, for instance is a 14,000 year old map

Here's one from 600 BCE

You may also benefit from reading History of Cartography -wiki

The earliest known maps are of the heavens, not the earth. Dots dating to 16,500 BCE found on the walls of the Lascaux caves map out part of the night sky, including the three bright stars Vega, Deneb, and Altair (the Summer Triangle asterism), as well as the Pleiades star cluster. The Cuevas de El Castillo in Spain contain a dot map of the Corona Borealis constellation dating from 12,000 BCE..

Cave painting and rock carvings used simple visual elements that may have aided in recognizing landscape features, such as hills or dwellings. A map-like representation of a mountain, river, valleys and routes around Pavlov in the Czech Republic has been dated to 25,000 BP, and a 14,000 BP polished chunk of sandstone from a cave in Spanish Navarre may represent similar features superimposed on animal etchings, although it may also represent a spiritual landscape, or simple incisings. Another ancient picture that resembles a map was created in the late 7th millennium BCE in Çatalhöyük, Anatolia, modern Turkey. This wall painting may represent a plan of this Neolithic village; however, recent scholarship has questioned the identification of this painting as a map.

Maps that far back lacked notable sophistication, as well as most if any of the standards we today recognize in modern cartography.

What you've got is spots on a rock.
These spots on a rock, though interesting looking are likely natural.
If by some miracle these spots on a rock can line up to a modern map (adjusted for the ice age in force at the time), I'd start looking for hoaxers.

edit on 25-10-2012 by Druscilla because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 25 2012 @ 05:07 AM
link   

Looks like fungal spaulting.

posted on Oct, 25 2012 @ 05:07 AM
link   
perkele!

thats an awesome find, been scratching my head over the image for a while trying to match coast line etc and i agree that it's a lichen covered rock, albeit a way interesting one!

the spanish cave map looks awesome though and i will have to look into that a lot more, i adore cave art and all things stone age so many thanks for bringing it to my attention

posted on Oct, 25 2012 @ 09:13 AM
link   
Not very portable if it was a map, is there an X on it saying 'you are here'?

posted on Oct, 25 2012 @ 09:34 AM
link   
No offense, but i have a sheet of wood outside and its erosion makes it look like there is a perfect face on it, even with expression but this happened BY ACCIDENT, and I'm guessing that's just a bunch of erosion that looks like a map :\....

like seriously, there are alot better claims out there of "seeing things" that arnt' there and they get bashed away.
But this one is a MAP!!! IT MUST BE REAL!!!., i can go spill 5 glasses of different wine on my rug and clean them up in different times, let it dry, and it might make A MAP!!!! or at least look like one.

soo please pick all the fruit loops out of your cheerios before lunch

posted on Oct, 25 2012 @ 10:43 AM
link   
Conclusion: as expected the experts have given a decision of it being naturally formed. Thanks for the participation!

Source
edit on 25-10-2012 by OnWhiteMars because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 25 2012 @ 10:51 AM
link   
A not easy to carry map, must say.

posted on Oct, 25 2012 @ 01:24 PM
link   
Definitely looks like lichen to me. But as far as maps dating back that far, or further, I think it is highly possible. It is even recorded on the Peri Re'is map, from the 1500's, that is was a compilation of many "much older" maps. How old those maps would have to be to show Antarctica without ice is something I do not know. Some people claim Antarctica might have been ice-free as early as 6000 years ago. Some claim it has not been ice-free since at least 34,000,000 years ago.

The fact that the longitude/latitude of many of those ancient maps are correct means that atleast the creators of them knew that the Earth was not flat.

posted on Oct, 31 2012 @ 02:50 PM
link   
Just more proof that humans on earth have most likely been coming and going for millions of years now.

Question is whether the continents split in much shorter time than the plate tectonic theory, most likely this is so.

posted on Nov, 3 2012 @ 07:36 AM
link   
reply to post by nightvisionufo

You did notice that the 'map' was lichen after all
Anyways, you are more than right about our ignorance of ancient times!

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join