It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

OCD, OCPD, ADHD, SCHIZOPHRENIA, BI-POLAR, ETC !! - { which one do you have? }

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 25 2012 @ 12:22 AM
link   
We live in an over-medicated and over-diagnosed society. We have an excuse and a reason for every behavior pattern. Personally, I think we all have some form of every one of these behavior's that I am writing about, just to different degrees, and not all will we admit to, but I am going to go out on a huge personal limb and give examples of each one of these as they pertain to me.

This will be my self-diagnosis. I have only been diagnosed by a psychiatrist one time in my life, as a young teen, with ADHD. I was prescribed valium and some other pill I don't recall. It had a disastrous effect on me at the time, both the pills and the diagnosis. I did eventually learn to accept that I had an extreme amount of energy and I decided to control my behavior without the pills. Which, 40 years later is still my philosophy.

I won't even take an aspirin, unless for my heart, or a pain pill, for the many pains I do have or have had in the past. I have severe neuropathy, have had many operations on my knees and several back injuries to deal with (fell off a roof 3 stories and was electrocuted) just to name a few. So, here goes.

Obsessive–compulsive disorder (OCD) is an anxiety disorder characterized by intrusive thoughts that produce uneasiness, apprehension, fear, or worry, by repetitive behaviors aimed at reducing the associated anxiety, or by a combination of such obsessions and compulsions. Symptoms of the disorder include excessive washing or cleaning; repeated checking; extreme hoarding; preoccupation with sexual, violent or religious thoughts;

I have to wash my hands 100 times a day. I have to masturbate every morning when I wake up. I speak of spirituality all the time. I use magnets for relief from every pain I have. I have to wash every utensil before I use it. I have to wash every plate or cup, whether it appears to be clean or not. I have to watch certain Television shows daily or weekly. I have to go to certain web sites daily. I have to follow certain sports/teams daily, weekly, monthly and yearly. I will only eat specific foods a certain way. I will not eat certain foods period. I do not like bugs or reptiles and have an extreme desire to avoid most. When my wife and I make love, everything has to be a certain way for me to enjoy it. When I am watching a show or doing something do not bother me during it. You have to wait for a commercial or a break, etc.

Obsessive–compulsive personality disorder (OCPD) is a personality disorder characterized by a pervasive pattern of preoccupation with orderliness, perfectionism, and mental and interpersonal control at the expense of flexibility, openness, and efficiency.[1] In contrast to patients of Obsessive-compulsive disorder, people experiencing OCPD generally perceive their behaviors as correct and desirable. Hoarding is also mentioned as one of several possible criteria for OCPD in the DSM-IV.[

Any of the above behaviors would fall into this category as well, because I believe they are all acceptable and since they do not hurt anyone specifically on purpose they are correct and desirable to me.

Schizophrenia (/ˌskɪtsɵˈfrɛniə/ or /ˌskɪtsɵˈfriːniə/) is a mental disorder characterized by a breakdown of thought processes and by poor emotional responsiveness.[1] It most commonly features auditory hallucinations, paranoid or bizarre delusions, or disorganized speech and thinking, and it is accompanied by significant social or occupational dysfunction. The onset of symptoms typically occurs in young adulthood, with a global lifetime prevalence of about 0.3–0.7%.[2] Diagnosis is based on observed behavior and the patient's reported experiences.

Now this is a tricky one. I am not making light of the fact that there may be some that have a severe form of this disorder, but I constantly have conversations and refer to myself by different names and each has different personality traits associated to all of them. I am sure I have one main personality, the one I am using right now, but often times I find myself behaving in a different way under the influence of other personalities. I will use different names when I am talking to them, the voices in my head, the other personalities. I will not use my real names in this example: I may be Edward and talk to Eddie, or Mitch, Or George. Each has their own way of dealing with things, but they generally agree with me on my OCD habits. Thank goodness or things could get ugly. George is the prankster, Eddie is the "happy-go-lucky" be everyone's buddy type, Mitch is the cool dude and Edward is the serious minded, "do everything by the book", type.

Attention deficit-hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) is a defined as a psychiatric[1] and a neurobehavioral disorder.[2] It is characterized by either significant difficulties of inattention or hyperactivity and impulsiveness or a combination of the two. According to the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders (DSM-IV-TR), symptoms emerge before seven years of age.[3][4] There are three subtypes of the disorder which consist of it being predominantly inattentive (ADHD-PI or ADHD-I), predominately hyperactive-impulsive (ADHD-HI or ADHD-H), or the two combined (ADHD-C). Oftentimes people refer to ADHD-PI as "Attention deficit disorder" (ADD), however, the term was revised in the 1994 version of the DSM.

I ask you what kid can sit still? I was diagnosed with ADHD when I was 14, but my parents always thought I had some form of hyper-active behavior from a very early age. Interesting thing was they attributed my ignoring them and my teachers with this behavior as attention deficit. I was born premature and had a sever ear infection that caused my ears to stop growing properly. I was not diagnosed with an actual hearing deficiency until I reached the 6th grade. Why? You will have to keep from laughing, That was the first year I had a black teacher. Up til then, apparently, I had self-taught myself how to read lips. My 6th grade reading teacher thought I was always ignoring her or being difficult on purpose. I got sent to the principal's office one time to many. Finally, it dawned on them, I should get my hearing checked. The Beltone tech asked me a few questions when my mom and I first sat down and one of them was do I have any black teachers? We looked at each other, mom and I and started giggling. How did he know that? He explained I was probably having trouble reading her lips. That was very true, she had huge lips and they never moved when she spoke. Needless to say, the teacher got a chuckle and the principal was relieved. Never had any more hearing related issues in school again. At least directly related to my hearing loss. As to my hyperactivity, I think I was just being a normal kid with lots of energy.

Bipolar disorder or bipolar affective disorder (historically known as manic-depressive disorder) is a psychiatric diagnosis for a mood disorder in which people experience disruptive mood swings that encompass a frenzied state known as mania (or hypomania) and, usually, symptoms of depression. Bipolar disorder is defined by the presence of one or more episodes of abnormally elevated energy levels, cognition, and mood with or without one or more depressive episodes.

There have been days I feel very positive about life and had a mood swing where I began to doubt myself and my situation. I think we all go through this.
To be cont.

posted on Oct, 25 2012 @ 12:28 AM
link   
I think this can be due to our natural bio rhythms. We have an energy level with in us that fluctuates, I believe it is associated with the stars and the way the energy of the surrounding solar system was at the precise moment we were born. So, many of us have mood swings, some more sever than others.

This completes my self diagnosis. Thanks for reading. Please, feel free to share.

Sincerely,

Ascension211

posted on Oct, 25 2012 @ 12:28 AM
link   

Oppositional defiant disorder (ODD) is a diagnosis described by the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders (DSM) as an ongoing pattern of anger guided disobedience, hostilely defiant behavior toward authority figures which goes beyond the bounds of normal childhood behavior. People may appear very stubborn and often angry. A diagnosis of ODD cannot be given if the child presents with conduct disorder (CD).

en.wikipedia.org...

Ya forgot this little gem.

I suffer from being a Human, it's the darnedest thing

ps: your OCD self diagnosis had me chuckling.
edit on 25-10-2012 by Komonazmuk because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 25 2012 @ 12:39 AM
link   
I have to admit I do have a slight obsession with orderliness. It's not to the point that I freak out if something is out of place. I just enjoy a neat and orderly environment where I can find something when I want it.

posted on Oct, 25 2012 @ 12:39 AM
link   
reply to post by ascension211

If someone has has obsessive–compulsive personality disorder, they are a control freak. They also don't display the ritualized behaviors that you see in OCD.
edit on 25-10-2012 by Rastus3663 because: lost some text

posted on Oct, 25 2012 @ 12:44 AM
link   
reply to post by Rastus3663

I think the key difference to me was this:

OCPD generally perceive their behaviors as correct and desirable.

I was just saying that those behaviors were still included, ritualized or not.

posted on Oct, 25 2012 @ 12:47 AM
link   
reply to post by Komonazmuk

I'm certain I did not leave it out, I said ETC. in the title. I am sure I could find many disorders to include. That is why I left it up to each to specify which one they feel is important and share with us. Do you have any of the above, and what behaviors do you exhibit?

posted on Oct, 25 2012 @ 12:49 AM
link   
reply to post by Rastus3663

Which disorder do you have? I appreciate the attempt at correcting me! Please, share some intimate details.

posted on Oct, 25 2012 @ 12:57 AM
link   
reply to post by ascension211

I exhibit Human Nature it's part of my on going struggle with being a Human. It's a MFer.

posted on Oct, 25 2012 @ 12:58 AM
link   
I have been diagnosed with OCD/OCPD, Schizophrenia of all types as well as Mono Polar/and Bi Polar. In the past...seems they couldn't ever decide, and I was guiena pigged with 100's of meds after almost dying a few times and being in and out of inpatient institutions. I got tired of it and diagnosed myself with poor coping skills, learned as a child. I did extensive reviews of myself and coping mechanisms and changed them.

I also decided to look for the; rational and logical explanation first...instead of the fantastical. During this time I also stayed on meds and kept appointments; and told no one what I was doing. I slowly tapered off of the meds after about a year of steady introspection and changing my behavior.

The doctor kept commenting how much better I seemed to be getting over this time. By the end of the second year and a year of zero meds; I had an appointment for a blood test, to make sure my liver etc was ok...the next visit to the doctor; he said there's no level of medication in your system of any kind...I said because I haven't taken them for a year. He sat back with a wrinkled brow. I said I guess I should call this my last visit.

It has been nearly 9 years since that visit; and I have never been more stable in all my life, I still keep an eye out for poor coping skills etc. if I were to go back into the system, I would most likely get the diagnosis of recovered...

Oh, yeah that's something they won't ever tell you either...people can and do recover and go on to live happy normal lives med/therapy free. So there is hope, to find the way back out...
edit on 25-10-2012 by BigBrotherDarkness because: faulty memory

posted on Oct, 25 2012 @ 01:10 AM
link   
Which one do I have?

All of them!

There was this one time...in band camp...oooh. lookit da squirrel!...

Wait..."Get outta my house you son of a...No Wait! We can work it out!"

Now where were we?

Oh yeah...

Peace...Maybe?

eh...who cares? Kill 'em all!

edit on 25-10-2012 by jude11 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 25 2012 @ 01:34 AM
link   
reply to post by BigBrotherDarkness

Star for you and kudos too. Thanks for sharing, glad you figured it out.

posted on Oct, 25 2012 @ 01:36 AM
link   
reply to post by jude11

Quite the jokester. Thanks for the reply. Did you get the squirrel?

posted on Oct, 25 2012 @ 01:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by ascension211
reply to post by jude11

Quite the jokester. Thanks for the reply. Did you get the squirrel?

Are you kidding? I never get him/her/it...them.

I always enjoy these threads because I grew up diagnosed with ADD, was put on Ritalin and then got old enough to decide my own course of action. I acknowledged it for what it is and recognize it when it makes an appearance.

As for OCD, it's too complicated to explain but it's a constant and is maddening. It involves numbers and letters...combined to make an order of some sense.

Anyways, now I have no choice but to make light of it all because it's who I am and I can't take myself too seriously or it just becomes too much to handle.

I function, that's it.

Peace

posted on Oct, 25 2012 @ 02:49 AM
link   
reply to post by jude11

Thanks for sharing and keep doing what you do. Glad you found a way to come to grips.

posted on Oct, 25 2012 @ 04:56 AM
link   
OP,

Love your post. You are right, we are quick to try and diagnose people when they don't conform to our notions of proper behavior.

I am the department chair at my school, and just last week I met with our newest teacher. She's a wonderful, caring person but she's struggling with the realities of our profession. Anyway, she was concerned because s many of her first graders couldn't sit still, didn't pay attention, etc. She wanted to know how to suggest the parents have their children evaluated for ADHD

So I asked her, how long did the kids sit before she let them move? Turns out, it was too long for six year olds. Now she has the up and moving every thirty minutes or so, and the difference is huge.

Having said that, the disorders you described are real. My son has ADHD. It's very obvious if you see him off his med, he's a completely different child. I've taught children who truly were ADHD, and I've taught kids with that label so mom or dad didn't have to deal with discipline or were selling the drugs on the street

Anyway, great post. S&F.

posted on Oct, 25 2012 @ 07:04 AM
link   
PARANOID PERSONALITY DISORDER

Paranoid personality disorder is a mental disorder characterized by paranoia and a pervasive, long-standing suspicion and generalized mistrust of others. Individuals with this personality disorder may be hypersensitive, easily feel slighted, and habitually relate to the world by vigilant scanning of the environment for clues or suggestions that may validate their fears or biases. Paranoid individuals are eager observers. They think they are in danger and look for signs and threats of that danger, potentially not appreciating other evidence. They tend to be guarded and suspicious and have quite constricted emotional lives. Their reduced capacity for meaningful emotional involvement and the general pattern of isolated withdrawal often lend a quality of schizoid isolation to their life experience.People with this particular disorder may or may not have a tendency to bear grudges, suspicion, tendency to interpret others' actions as hostile, persistent tendency to self-reference, or a tenacious sense of personal right.

en.wikipedia.org...
I wasn't always this way. Life events over the past 5 years or so escalated into it. I don't associate with anyone outside of immediate family. I have a panic attack if a strange vehicle even turns around in my driveway. I can go out and be amongst people, as long as they don't try to strike up a conversation beyond " Nice weather today.". I don't trust anyone in the least. And I'm always on guard.

My fiance (also a member here but rarely on) suffers BORDERLINE PERSONALITY DISORDER
www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov...

People with BPD are often uncertain about their identity. As a result, their interests and values may change rapidly. People with BPD also tend to see things in terms of extremes, such as either all good or all bad. Their views of other people may change quickly. A person who is looked up to one day may be looked down on the next day. These suddenly shifting feelings often lead to intense and unstable relationships. Other symptoms of BPD include: - Fear of being abandoned
- Feelings of emptiness and boredom
- Frequent displays of inappropriate anger
- Impulsiveness with money, substance abuse, sexual relationships, binge eating, or shoplifting
- Intolerance of being alone
- Repeated crises and acts of self-injury, such as wrist cutting or overdosing

Point is..everyone suffers from something that could have a label slapped onto it and perceived as abnormal. If you met us you might not know there was anything different about us than anyone else. Usually only those close to us realize anything is different. Most of us have various masks we wear.

posted on Oct, 25 2012 @ 07:54 AM
link   
I actually have OCD(Obsessive Compulsory Disorder) and i know that, its not extreme but i could get irritated by it.....i don;t take medication for the fact that i know i could control it.

When people look at OCD, they automatically assume, washing hands and being clean, hat germs etc, but i highly doubt that. Its probably one branch of compulsiveness but not every have to have that.

I get small quirks like... having my TV volume set on specific number. Make extra sure doors are locked... im probably a low level OCD.

posted on Oct, 25 2012 @ 08:14 AM
link   
I'm just plain nuts which includes all of those at sometimes in our life. If someone does something to get me mad or endanger someone else, I am going to set them straight. I'm not a wimp, I will say my mind if need be. I have patients but will explode a little when my kids or grandchildren do something to endanger their lives.

I can be as OCD as I want, collecting junk I feel I will need in the future. My brother thought I was being compulsive for a while but now he is always stopping by and picking up things I collected for a project. As long as there is a use for something in the foreseeable future it is not really OCD. I study commodity prices and weather patterns and do not discount evidence because others say that it does not apply. I buy my coffee when on sale and weather out the high priced times. My inventory of coffee is from ten cans down to two. I haven't payed a high price for coffee since the eighties, I learned to keep an eye on the news about food back then.

I guess I am a little obsessed but most things I was obsessed with did turn out to happen. If you have real reasons to back some frame of mind it is not a disease. Sometimes holding things in is not good, it will make you snap eventually. Saying your mind without observing all the evidence is bad also, it destroys a person's credibility and makes you look a little crazy.

posted on Oct, 25 2012 @ 10:47 AM
link   
I will neither confirm nor deny any form of mental illness.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join