It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How to respond to nuclear fallout..

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 25 2012 @ 12:08 AM
link   
Hi again, I was contemplating a few articles posted here on ATS this evening, and suddenly it occurred to me that in the event of Nuclear Fallout, most people will not know how to respond appropriately; So it dawned on me that even I would not necessarily know how to react and what to do if this type of thing occurred;

I thought it might be a good idea to start a topic on how to prepare for N-FALLOUT, and for those of you who are are particuarly knowledgeable in the area of preparedness "nuclear-style", please share any and all information or videos that you may be aware of for all to see!

I'm thinking breathing apparatus', water and food supplies, etc., but how long can one survive in any region of the world if some type of detonation occurs and how long before the atmosphere becomes contaminated elsewhere: Does it take days, months or years, for the dispersion of contamination to occur and does it depend on how the wind blows? What are the various factors involved in the dispersion, that would be another thing to consider; There might be a bright lot of you who could be familiar with the Science of it all.. maybe you'll be interested in sharing some facts, points, and pointers;

Neat topic, eh? No doomsday, just wondering what an aftermath response should responsibly look like;

edit on 25-10-2012 by tony9802 because: typing error

edit on 25-10-2012 by Gemwolf because: Removed all caps from title

posted on Oct, 25 2012 @ 12:11 AM
link   
reply to post by tony9802

For the best info go download the army manual for it
www.globalsecurity.org...

posted on Oct, 25 2012 @ 12:13 AM
link   

Very good question, I was wondering the same thing myself. Like is there any way you could incorporate Iodine or other radio-resistant substances into a N-fallout protocol?

Is there anything you can do to protect yourself from the general increase( if there is any) in radioactivity due to all the atomic bomb explosions from history and the reactor meltdown of Chernobyl and Fukishima?

posted on Oct, 25 2012 @ 12:19 AM
link   
reply to post by zonetripper2065

That's a good place to start.. thanks,

posted on Oct, 25 2012 @ 12:22 AM
link   
Did you catch this one? I mean to say check the search engine there are some very good threads on the subject. I especially like the ones with the interactive maps and speculations, very scary. Preparedness is good but most of us are just never going to be that prepared, so figure how you want to die, slow and painful or in a fast flash.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Oct, 25 2012 @ 12:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by Renegade2283

Very good question, I was wondering the same thing myself. Like is there any way you could incorporate Iodine or other radio-resistant substances into a N-fallout protocol?

Is there anything you can do to protect yourself from the general increase( if there is any) in radioactivity due to all the atomic bomb explosions from history and the reactor meltdown of Chernobyl and Fukishima?

I'm thinking more along the lines of Nagasaki and Hiroshima, but I haven't looked at what the effect of those bombings had on Japan and surrounding nations.. were there radioactivity and contamination issues in those cases?? I'm going to have to look into that..
edit on 25-10-2012 by tony9802 because: typing error

posted on Oct, 25 2012 @ 12:31 AM
link   
In the event of the detonation of a Thermonuclear device...preparation is worthless. A small Fission Bomb? Get out of the areas Wind Currents drop zone as Fallout will be carried high in Earths atmosphere.

Split Infinity

posted on Oct, 25 2012 @ 12:36 AM
link   
Something even more scary than an atomic bomb is all of the nuclear reactors we have around.

Just do a Google search and it will scare the crap put of you.

The bomb is the least of our worries friend.

I would Google it for you but I am on a cell phone.

posted on Oct, 25 2012 @ 12:38 AM
link   
Google and Uncle Sam in their respective areas have both made great strides for making old documents and books digital and public domain. I'd suggest simply searching for the old military manuals, government papers and science stuff of 1990 and prior vintage. That is the time it was being taught and drilled at schools as an actual possible event. More so the earlier one looks, but the late 80's is the upper range.

A lot of good stuff there....and the basic message of the whole thing as I learned it growing up was the only sure fire way to handle fall-out is to be elsewhere or underground. Everything else is ratios and percentages to range from minor health problems to death in a real bad way.

posted on Oct, 25 2012 @ 12:54 AM
link   
Ive heard if you have an air burst nuke in your general area in which you aren't in the blast radius but your in the fall-out radius. To stay indoors for 2 weeks cause you want to avoid the Plutonium & Cesium fall-out particles cause if you inhale them into your lungs you are dead, dead, dead but after a few weeks they dissipate & you have a much greater chance of survival.

Thats about all i know.

posted on Oct, 25 2012 @ 01:30 AM
link   
I'm going to fashion myself one of those old school diving bell suits out of pure lead and find a nice tree to lean up against till it's all over. Don't ask me how I'll eat, drink, relieve myself or build a self contained breathing apparatus. I haven't planned that far ahead yet.
edit on 25-10-2012 by TheLonewolf because: sp

edit on 25-10-2012 by TheLonewolf because: sp again

posted on Oct, 25 2012 @ 01:31 AM
link   
The one situation during nuclear fallout, that most people will fail to plan for are the quarantines.
Sometimes the quarantines themselves can have a larger affect then the nuclear fallout itself.
Most large cities for example are designed in such a way that if a quarantine is ever ordered, the beltway around the city will act as a road block, not allowing anybody in or out of the city. These beltways are often tollways and are already equipped with bulletproof stations that will be accompanied by military presence. The only way around the quarantine in this scenario is down below, through the water and sewage systems or above via plane or helicopter. It is not a coincidence that major city tollways are designed this way. Even down below you are likely to be met with heavy gunfire so beware and be trained well and armed to the teeth if you plan to cross, for that is a narrow passage way.

In any case I recommend that you watch the movie "Right at your Door" to gain a better perspective of how this might play out. It might just save your life if you do. Also in this scenario, if you are in the US, the airspace would have already been breached so realistically there would be a campaign, like that in the TV series Jericho, where most larger cities are attacked simultaneously.

posted on Oct, 25 2012 @ 01:58 AM
link   
if you survive the blast, you have to protect yourself from the fallout, more than the radiation emitted from the blast.

according to most sources on the net, you have to at least stay hunkered in a suitable shelter for at least a week before wandering outside.

thick concrete walls should offer protection. i would say building a make shift bunker in an underground parking lot would be the best bet if you're unprepared.

then the danger would be from the fallout that has settled onto the ground and food and water that may have been affected.

that's where a hand held radiation detector comes invaluable. so you don't accidentally ingest fallout.

if you were outside when the blast occurred, strip all your clothes and wash your skin before going into your shelter.

and hope for a big rainstorm to wash away and dilute the fallout.

but you're pretty much screwed. you got like five minutes before you get a lethal dose of radiation if you're in its lethal radius.

most people would just stand there looking at the mushroom cloud and taking pictures with their iphone.
edit on 25-10-2012 by randomname because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 26 2012 @ 08:51 PM
link   
reply to post by zonetripper2065

Good place to go and down load it from. No not really. Gee what other things that I can look for and search 4 to make me stand out in a room.

posted on Oct, 26 2012 @ 08:54 PM
link   
reply to post by Rocky Black

But to stqay on topic I would say.

There are so many factors I would not know how to answer that question.

Lets see.

How far away.
How high.

Two important factors.

Yield would be the next I guess.

Need input.

posted on Oct, 26 2012 @ 09:00 PM
link   

Now a days if your in an area and you see the flash or even close enough to see it explode you would have absolutly no time and just be gone in seconds. Far away..... Well if its high and your not down wind you may survive but there is not much protection from the shockwave which if it doesnt kill you the debris will.

posted on Oct, 26 2012 @ 09:00 PM
link   

Now a days if your in an area and you see the flash or even close enough to see it explode you would have absolutly no time and just be gone in seconds. Far away..... Well if its high and your not down wind you may survive but there is not much protection from the shockwave which if it doesnt kill you the debris will.

posted on Oct, 26 2012 @ 09:49 PM
link   

Oh you have a better site? Its US public info your allowed to have it. I went out to a local flea market and bought hard copies from the army surplus guy.

posted on Oct, 26 2012 @ 11:17 PM
link   
In the event of nuclear fallout, you are going to want to stay sheltered for around 2 weeks to be on the safe side. Here is why.

Fallout contains a mixture of alpha, beta and gamma emitting particles. After a nuclear blast, many of the gamma emitting particles will reach their half-life within the first few days. Some of those particles have a half-life of mere seconds. By waiting a full 2 weeks in shelter, you are allowing most of the alpha, beta and gamma particles to die off.

During that 2 week period, you may wish to take potassium iodide. It does not shield you from radiation, but it does protect your thyroid gland. For the average adult, you are going to want to take around 130 miligrams every 24 hours.

After a 2 week period, the remaining fallout will consist mainly of weaker alpha and beta particles which are only harmful if ingested. This is where you will begin cleanup. The first thing you will need to do is wash down or destroy any tall trees. Wash down rooftops. Wash down window sills and any other crevices where fallout has accumulated.

Your next step is to turn the top 2 - 3 feet of topsoil. You need to do this because alpha and beta particles can contaminate plant life. So if you grow crops with contaminated soil, you will be ingesting these particles and cooking yourself from the inside out. Alternatively, growing hay or grass with that same soil will poison livestock.

Now if you are at ground zero, the area will remain contaminated for much, much longer. And you should evacuate as quickly as possible and hope you don't die.

posted on Oct, 26 2012 @ 11:27 PM
link   
It will be total anarchy and a daily fight for survival. A majority of people, no matter how prepared, probably will bite the dust (literally and figuratively).

Hopefully nobody will ever have to go through that.

Hunting for food would be dangerous, fishing just as much. Once the stores close, the most valuable commodities I think would be food/water.

Transportation, I'm thinking the old bicycle would reign supreme once the gas stations go dry.
edit on 26-10-2012 by cconn487 because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join