It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Arizona ballot measure contests ownership of the Grand Canyon

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 24 2012 @ 06:09 PM
link   
Arizona ballot measure contests ownership of the Grand Canyon

When voters in Arizona go to the polls next month, they will be asked to decide a landownership tug of war: Should the Grand Canyon belong to all Americans, or just the residents of Arizona? A controversial ballot measure backed by Republicans in the state legislature is seeking sovereign control over millions of acres of federal land in the state, including the Grand Canyon. Proposition 120 would amend the state's constitution to declare Arizona's sovereignty and jurisdiction over the "air, water, public lands, minerals, wildlife and other natural resources within the state's boundaries." The measure is the latest salvo in the so-called "sagebrush revolt" by Republicans in the West aiming to take back control of major swaths of land owned by various federal agencies, much of it by the Interior Department's Bureau of Land Management.

If this passes how much of the Grand Canyon will they destroy? They want to open it up for logging and the mining of uranium. So goodbye to fresh water not to mention the endangered species that live there. If the rights of the canyon is going to be given to anyone then it should go to the native Americans that live there it was their land to begin with and should stay in their possession.

posted on Oct, 24 2012 @ 06:14 PM
link   
Its is everyone's. Not just Americans. It's the planet's. We are only renting.

One could say nobody owns it.

posted on Oct, 24 2012 @ 06:20 PM
link   
Whatever puts us more in secession from the union, I am all for it.
second

posted on Oct, 24 2012 @ 06:23 PM
link   
If the States of the union are supposed to be laboratories for Democracy, then Arizona must be a meth lab.

posted on Oct, 24 2012 @ 06:23 PM
link   
I know that I shouldn't have chuckled when I read this post. Bad, bad me. But, I couldn't help but think that if Arizona actually did succeed in this attempt, that they would sell the Grand Canyon to some real estate investors like they sold their own State Capital a few years ago. Last I heard, they were trying to buy it back...

I think the loonies are running the asylum!

posted on Oct, 24 2012 @ 10:24 PM
link   
reply to post by buster2010

They want to open it up for logging and the mining of uranium.They want to open it up for logging and the mining of uranium.

Huge congratulations to you! For being the perfect example of what a "Sheep" is. The opposition told you that all they want to do is strip mine the Grand Canyon.. which is in fact completely false.

Companies log, mine and lease Federal land all the time. The big difference is that the Federal Government receives most of the lease/fee/permit etc from the operations, while the states receive none..

This measure will bring all "Federal lands" (which is complete BS that they were ever allowed to own our land) into State controlled territory, where all operations on State land will be managed and maintained by the States and thus all profits from that land retained by the State and not the Federal Government.

posted on Oct, 24 2012 @ 11:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by NiteNGale2
I know that I shouldn't have chuckled when I read this post. Bad, bad me. But, I couldn't help but think that if Arizona actually did succeed in this attempt, that they would sell the Grand Canyon to some real estate investors like they sold their own State Capital a few years ago. Last I heard, they were trying to buy it back...

I think the loonies are running the asylum!
Wait, they sold the state capital?

posted on Oct, 24 2012 @ 11:25 PM
link   
Good luck with that.

The fed runs the show.

I laugh at the notion that people thinks it means something to "vote".

Just look at all of the other examples of where the states try to tell the fed what is up.

posted on Oct, 25 2012 @ 03:01 AM
link   
reply to post by Thunderheart

Yep, they did. Not just the capitol building but also several other state owned properties. I'm not sure if they have managed to get ownership of the building back yet.

Arizona Wants to Buy Back State Capitol It Inexplicably Sold and A rizona puts state buildings on sale to plug deficit

posted on Oct, 25 2012 @ 10:32 AM
link   
If they give the rights to the Grand Canyon to the State of Arizona for the pursuit of revenue, then I want the rights to all surface water in Michigan given back to the people of Michigan and away from the feds and the state. I don't want the feds or the State of Michigan to have the rights to our water. Arizona can have the Grand Canyon if we can have all our water rights back here in Michigan, like either will ever happen anyway.

But then why even bother when nobody but governments and their corporate sponsors actually own anything? Until we gain control of our governments and put big corporations in their place, no one has any real property or rights.

The average citizen has no real say concerning public property or public resources and because of laws like eminent domain, zoning ordinances and both property and income taxes, you have little control over your own property, whatever property that might be. Considering all the laws concerning your own body, government ownership even includes your physical being, so how can the slave have ownership of anything when the master owns it all?

top topics

join