It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Landmine Clearing:Done on the Cheap and Safe

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 24 2012 @ 05:28 PM
link   
It looks like an unused prop from the Star Wars films but this giant ball has the potential to save thousands of lives and costs $50

The dandelion shaped ball aims to protect people from undetonated landmines by blowing in the wind

Afghan-Dutch designer Massoud Hassani built the “Mine Kafon” by hand, according to the BBC. Powered by wind, the 175-pound ball rolls across the ground like a tumbleweed. A 37-pound iron casing is surrounded by dozens of bamboo rods that have plastic casings at the tips, creating a dandelion-head shape. To see it in action, check out the video above.

There is another video on this link
mashable.com...
According to the BBC from the above quote
I have not veiwed this link because it is not availiable in the UK
www.bbc.com...
When i click the link i get this

We're sorry but this site is not accessible from the UK as it is part of our international service and is not funded by the licence fee.

Which sucks
Though i do think this Mine Kufon is a cheap and cost effective way to clean Minefields
Any thoughs

Cran

posted on Oct, 24 2012 @ 05:32 PM
link   
if they make an rc version then it would be safer.

right now it looks like it randomly goes any direction, and you wouldn't want to stand behind it slowly pushing it.

posted on Oct, 24 2012 @ 06:00 PM
link   
reply to post by randomname

At the moment it is a prototype

Mr Hassani has teamed up with the Dutch Explosive Disposal Ordnance Unit to test it in the Moroccan desert, but in its present form they say it is not suitable for military purposes Undeterred, Mr Hassani is now looking for a solution. 'I hope they can help me build these things,' he said

www.dailymail.co.uk...
RC would be viable if they could sheild it from the mine blast

Cran

join