It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama: 'Absolutely' No Regrets For Ignoring Economy for First Two Years

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 24 2012 @ 04:54 PM
link   

That's what Obama said during an interview the other day.

He also attempted to "Blame" that oh so terrible Republican Mitch McConnell "filibuster" threat.

Obama claimed that the 'filibuster" deal was in effect in 2009 and 2010.

But in reality the "threat" came late in 2010 after the midterm elections had given the House back to Republican control.

Never the less, Obama and the 111th Congress did not really address the economic problems with anything that seemed to have any positive effects for the majority of Americans.

Maybe they thought that super charged crony stimulus was good enough, but I think they knew it would ultimately fail.

The Obama campaign has finally released the transcript of his endorsement interview with the Des Moines Register--and it is clear why they were reluctant to do so: the President says he has "absolutely" no regrets about ignoring the economy during the first two years of his term, when Democrats controlled Congress.

Here is the key part of the exchange:

Q: Yes, that begs a question from us, Mr. President. Some say you had a super majority in your first two years and had this incredible opportunity, but because of what you were talking about, as you were running, you had to go to get Obamacare done. Do you have any regrets taking on some of the economic issues, some of the issues that we're talking about for your second term, that when you had the chance, so to speak, during your first -- do you have any regrets that you didn’t do that at that time?

THE PRESIDENT: Absolutely not, Laura. Remember the context. First of all, Mitch McConnell has imposed an ironclad filibuster from the first day I was in office. And that's not speculation. I mean, this is -- it’s amply recorded. He gave a speech saying, my task is to defeat the President.

So we were able to pass emergency action with the stimulus, but we had to get two votes from Republicans...

I wonder how many of the 70 million voters who liked Obama in 2008 will be "Returning" ?

I bet 10 or 15 million will now join those of the 60 million who voted for McCain in 2008

Too many average Americans have been screwed in the last 4 years....

They want the last 4 years to Obama's "Last 4 Years"

posted on Oct, 24 2012 @ 05:03 PM
link   
reply to post by xuenchen

Obama only had a filibuster proof Senate for 6 months.

538refugees.wordpress.com...

Depending upon which metric is used, Democrats had a super majority for roughly six months which includes the seven weeks between Franken’s swearing-in on July 8 to Ted Kennedy’s death on August 25 and the four months and nine days between Paul Kirk’s swearing-in on September 25, 2009 to his replacement by Scott Brown on February 4, 2010.

During that time he passed the Stimulus, saved the auto industry, and passed health care reform.

That doesn't really sound like ignoring the economy.

posted on Oct, 24 2012 @ 05:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by Taiyed

Obama only had a filibuster proof Senate for 6 months.

538refugees.wordpress.com...

Depending upon which metric is used, Democrats had a super majority for roughly six months which includes the seven weeks between Franken’s swearing-in on July 8 to Ted Kennedy’s death on August 25 and the four months and nine days between Paul Kirk’s swearing-in on September 25, 2009 to his replacement by Scott Brown on February 4, 2010.

During that time he passed the Stimulus, saved the auto industry, and passed health care reform.

You just summed up a whole mess of spending money that the US does not have and look where it got us. Money spent to Save GM whose stock and value are tanking (meanwhile they still suffer from the bad habits that put them in trouble in the first place) The taxpayers will never see that money again!!.... Shovel ready jobs that were never shovel ready to begin with.... etc etc... The primary focus of those two years was Obamacare..

posted on Oct, 24 2012 @ 05:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by Taiyed

You mean he bailed out the bankers, bailed out the unions, and enacted a huge governmental over reach and power grab compelling Americans to engage in commerce against their will. The abominable care act is just another bail out for insurance companies. He did nothing to "help" the American economy, unless you mean that he helped destroy our economy.

posted on Oct, 24 2012 @ 05:12 PM
link   
Yes, he let the economy burn to the ground while ramming Obamacare down our throats.

NEXT =>

posted on Oct, 24 2012 @ 05:45 PM
link   
Op, I know its not your title, but I'd love for someone to quote for me where Obama says "absolutely no regrets for ignoring the economy"

Gotta love that we still perpetuate spin and rhetoric.

Deny ignorance indeed.

posted on Oct, 24 2012 @ 05:48 PM
link   
He only ignored the economy for the first 2 years? Is that how we went from 5 trillion in debt to 17 trillion in debt, trippling the national debt? First 2 years? More like he ignored the economoy the entire time because his entire purpose is to destroy the U.S., i recommend you watch "Obama's America, 2016", if he gets another term in office we will have no nuclear arsenal, and while that in itself is not bad, the rest of the world is not disarming which only leaves us swinging from a hangman's noose.
edit on 24-10-2012 by lonewolf19792000 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 24 2012 @ 05:55 PM
link   
it seems to me, according to the chart on the link, that job growth was rapidly sky rocketing from 2008 to 2009 until the republicans took majority control of congress and then it abruptly stopped and has been slowly crawling upwards until now.

which makes sense. why would republicans help a democrat create jobs and make him look good and ease by to a guaranteed second term and severely jeopardize their candidates chances.

america suffers because of politics and the two parties iron grip on the government.

i'm sure if romney wins, they'll open the floodgates on jobs they've been holding back on by not passing or filibustering obama's attempts on fixing the economy.

posted on Oct, 24 2012 @ 06:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by captaintyinknots
Op, I know its not your title, but I'd love for someone to quote for me where Obama says "absolutely no regrets for ignoring the economy"

Deny ignorance indeed.

it's all right here......

The Obama campaign has finally released the transcript of his endorsement interview with the Des Moines Register--and it is clear why they were reluctant to do so: the President says he has "absolutely" no regrets about ignoring the economy during the first two years of his term, when Democrats controlled Congress.

Q: Yes, that begs a question from us, Mr. President. Some say you had a super majority in your first two years and had this incredible opportunity, but because of what you were talking about, as you were running, you had to go to get Obamacare done.

Do you have any regrets taking on some of the economic issues, some of the issues that we're talking about for your second term,
[color=cyan]that when you had the chance, so to speak, during your first -- do you have any regrets that you didn’t do that at that time?

THE PRESIDENT: Absolutely not, Laura. Remember the context. First of all, Mitch McConnell has imposed an ironclad filibuster from the first day I was in office. And that's not speculation. I mean, this is -- it’s amply recorded. He gave a speech saying, my task is to defeat the President.

So we were able to pass emergency action with the stimulus, but we had to get two votes from Republicans...

He's blaming Republicans for his own failures

edit on Oct-24-2012 by xuenchen because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 24 2012 @ 07:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by randomname
it seems to me, according to the chart on the link, that job growth was rapidly sky rocketing from 2008 to 2009 until the republicans took majority control of congress and then it abruptly stopped and has been slowly crawling upwards until now.

which makes sense. why would republicans help a democrat create jobs and make him look good and ease by to a guaranteed second term and severely jeopardize their candidates chances.

america suffers because of politics and the two parties iron grip on the government.

i'm sure if romney wins, they'll open the floodgates on jobs they've been holding back on by not passing or filibustering obama's attempts on fixing the economy.

It looks that way in a general sense.

But one point is that Republicans took over the House in January 2011.

The chart shows the stagnation beginning in early 2010.

Another point is that jobs are "easier to create" when unemployment is high and harder to create when u/e is low.

Plus the fact remains that many if not most "new" jobs are part time and low pay.

We hear much about how Republicans have somehow stopped job creation.

But what exactly have they "held up" that would have brought the u/e down to let's say, 5% ?

Hard to pinpoint.

It's possible. But will Democrats hold bats over everybody's heads ?

In contrast, It looks as if Bush and Republicans took u/e from 6% to 4.4% in 3 years.
Notice the surge up again in 2007 and 2008 after Democrats took control of Congress in Jan 2007.

It all depends on how we look at it.

posted on Oct, 24 2012 @ 07:35 PM
link   
More distortions and lies, I am so surprised

How about

Obama's lead is solid in

Ohio

And

Nevada

All he needs to hit 270

Desperation smells in here

posted on Oct, 24 2012 @ 07:43 PM
link   
reply to post by campanionator

Oh.

I guess that's why Obama says he ignored the economy the first two years.

Thanks for clarifying that.

Are you 100% convinced all those angry voters will believe it ?

posted on Oct, 24 2012 @ 07:43 PM
link   

Breitbart , really dude, really.

Whats tommorrows Big Scoop gonna be...

"Obama wears mismatched socks!!"

posted on Oct, 24 2012 @ 07:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by Tw0Sides

Breitbart , really dude, really.

Whats tommorrows Big Scoop gonna be...

"Obama wears mismatched socks!!"

mismatched socks WOULD be a big deal

especially if he wears bowling shoes to go golfing too

btw, why DID Obama say this anyway ?

There must be a strategy somewhere ?.

edit on Oct-24-2012 by xuenchen because:
the
s

posted on Oct, 25 2012 @ 08:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by campanionator
More distortions and lies, I am so surprised

How about

Obama's lead is solid in

Ohio

And

Nevada

All he needs to hit 270

Desperation smells in here

Two polls, Suffolk and Rasmussen, now show Obama and Romney tied in Ohio... Wouldn't it be funny if they both tied in the overall Electoral count
President Romney and VP Biden... Yikes...

posted on Oct, 25 2012 @ 10:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by xuenchen

Q: Yes, that begs a question from us, Mr. President. Some say you had a super majority in your first two years and had this incredible opportunity, but because of what you were talking about, as you were running, you had to go to get Obamacare done.

Do you have any regrets taking on some of the economic issues, some of the issues that we're talking about for your second term,
[color=cyan]that when you had the chance, so to speak, during your first -- do you have any regrets that you didn’t do that at that time?

"It's all right there"????? You mean EXCEPT FOR THE REST OF WHAT HE SAID???

So we were able to pass emergency action with the stimulus, but we had to get two votes from Republicans. One of them essentially was driven out of the party -- Arlen Specter, who recently passed away. We then -- because Al Franken hadn’t been seated, didn’t have 60 votes until essentially -- there was a four- or five-month span. But at that point, we had already put in place the Recovery Act. We had already moved forward to help states avoid teacher layoffs and so forth.

And we were already in the process of stabilizing the banks.
We had already engineered the process that would save the auto industry. And there was not going to be any appetite among Democrats or Republicans to take additional actions until we saw the progress that was making -- that needed to be made.

]And our health care system is one-sixth of our economy. And if we have a situation where spending on health care at every level is going up at 6, 7, 10 percent a year, and we’ve got millions of people without coverage or inadequate coverage, the suggestion that that’s not a central economic priority for the country is just something that I wouldn’t buy.

Lord Xue.....Regurgitate Briebart much? I worry for your health.

edit on 25-10-2012 by Indigo5 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 26 2012 @ 03:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by xuenchen

Originally posted by captaintyinknots

Deny ignorance indeed.

So in other words, you cannot quote for me what is said as the title of this thread because it isn't there.

Spinning more than a tire on a corvette.

Deny ignorance indeed.

new topics

top topics

join