It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Beware of Posting Politically Charged Stuff on Facebook - An Experiment to Try

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 24 2012 @ 01:36 PM
link   
So I just got a shock on Facebook. One of my friends told me what "balls" I had posting stuff on the Department of Homeland Security's FB page. I immediately told him that I did not. He said that a couple of my posts showed up when he selected "friend activity" on their page. (This allows you to see if your friends have posted something on their FB page, like the page, tag them in post's etc...) So I logged into another FB account I have (you have to log into another account to see your activity because it's considered "friend activity") I went to check it out and sure enough some of my statuses showed up. Now keep in mind I didn't tag them in my status nor did I mention them in my status and yet it showed up on their page. For instance I posted an older video of Newt Gingrich stating that "he wished the terrorists would strike us again to remind us of why we are fighting" and this showed up under friend activity on The Department of Homeland Security's FB page????? I then began checking out of federal government sites like The White House's page, The Department of Education, Barrack Obama, Mitt Romney, and sure enough some of my post's were on their pages under friend activity. Posts that didn't even mention them were on their pages.

What I want to know is why? and how? When I don't tag someone in my post, or even mention them in my post, how does it correlate it with them? Also, I have posted tons of political comments on FB and only certain ones showed up. For instance under the White House's page only 2 of my posts showed up; both of them about NDAA (hmm). On Mitt Romney's page the only post that shows up is a video I posted about Judge Napalitano's speech that got him fired from Fox News (if you haven't seen it, watch it). This is a little concerning?!?!?

Try it out yourself. You have to use somebody else's account that you are friends with or log into another account if you have one. Go to something like the White House, Department of Homeland Security, etc... and where it says "Highlights" on their wall change it to "Friend Activity" Now if you don't make a lot of political posts on FB nothing will probably show, but for those of you who do check it out and see what happens. Also, nothing showed up on several other FB pages I check, just a few...but still why would they show up at all???

Now let me make this clear, most of the stuff I post are videos and links to news articles. Nothing threatening, or violence-themed, or anything too radical. Mostly it's stuff about NDAA, SOPA, the budget, the debate, Ron Paul & Judge Napalitano stuff, and articles from RT, Zero Hedge, etc...

edit on 24-10-2012 by stdscf12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 24 2012 @ 01:40 PM
link   
reply to post by stdscf12

None of my posts have ever been removed and I've often posted stuff that would raise a red flag.

Though, if your friend is posting such stuff on a government FB page, that's just asking for trouble.

posted on Oct, 24 2012 @ 01:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by stdscf12
So I just got a shock on Facebook. One of my friends told me what "balls" I had posting stuff on the Department of Homeland Security's FB page. I immediately told him that I did not. He said that a couple of my posts showed up when he selected "friend activity" on their page. (This allows you to see if your friends have posted something on their FB page, like the page, tag them in post's etc...) So I logged into another FB account I have (you have to log into another account to see your activity because it's considered "friend activity") I went to check it out and sure enough some of my statuses showed up. Now keep in mind I didn't tag them in my status nor did I mention them in my status and yet it showed up on their page. For instance I posted an older video of Newt Gingrich stating that "he wished the terrorists would strike us again to remind us of why we are fighting" and this showed up under friend activity on The Department of Homeland Security's FB page????? I then began checking out of federal government sites like The White House's page, The Department of Education, Barrack Obama, Mitt Romney, and sure enough some of my post's were on their pages under friend activity. Posts that didn't even mention them were on their pages.

Cancel your account. If you go back and read threads about FB here, you will see.....how dangerous an account can be.

Why would anybody want to try out what you experienced?

posted on Oct, 24 2012 @ 01:42 PM
link   
You mean people actually STILL use FAIL-BOOK, er I mean FACE-BOOK??

Wow, some folks never learn I guess, despite having a ZILLION reasons NOT to use Facebook.

edit on 24-10-2012 by YourWIFI because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 24 2012 @ 01:42 PM
link   

And exactly where is this "friend activity" button?

Nevermind... Found it, clicked it, nothing showed up.
edit on 24-10-2012 by EvenParanoidsHaveEnemies because: the internet puzzles me occasionally

posted on Oct, 24 2012 @ 01:43 PM
link   
reply to post by EvenParanoidsHaveEnemies

It's right underneath their title picture and above their posts. You'll see something that says "Highlights" change it to "Friend Activity"

posted on Oct, 24 2012 @ 01:45 PM
link   
I did that and nothing showed. Likely because I don't have any friends who have ever clicked "like" on homeland security's page.

If my stuff did show up, they would have a littany of bad jokes anyway.

posted on Oct, 24 2012 @ 01:46 PM
link   

They may be sending you (a message) of... hey we have some of your comments on our website....we know who you are and you are being watched....your life is being looked into.

posted on Oct, 24 2012 @ 01:48 PM
link   
reply to post by EvenParanoidsHaveEnemies

No you don't have to "like" the page in order for it to show up. Also, if you don't make a lot of political posts probably nothing will show up. Mine didn't show up on every government page I checked, just a few.

posted on Oct, 24 2012 @ 01:51 PM
link   
Moral of the story...Stay off facebook or any other social media garbage. Pick up a telephone if you want to socialize with someone far from you. Even better, go outside and be social
edit on 24-10-2012 by TheLonewolf because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 24 2012 @ 01:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by YourWIFI
You mean people actually STILL use FAIL-BOOK, er I mean FACE-BOOK??

Wow, some folks never learn I guess, despite having a ZILLION reasons NOT to use Facebook.

edit on 24-10-2012 by YourWIFI because: (no reason given)

Facebook is fine to use, as long as you aren't putting anything there that you wouldn't shout in a crowded movie theatre, or say in mixed company of all races, creed, nationalities, religions, sexes, and political views.

Seriously. Some people like being confrontational, and they might say just about anything, anytime, and that is fine, they're used to the reaction it sometimes gets. However, MOST people have some reservations, and will temper their conversations to fit the occasion, but then they get on FB and say whatever is on their mind, and it is taken wrong, and they don't understand the backlash.

Facebook is for Social Networking. The people using it to tout an agenda, market a product, sell a point of view, etc, will eventually have friction and consequences. The people using it to share photos of their grandkids and brag about their diet are never going to have any problems.

Facebook is not the enemy folks, you are your own worst enemy. Stop doing stupid stuff.

posted on Oct, 24 2012 @ 01:59 PM
link   
Okay the only Facebook pages I found that had the Highlight feature to select were not friends but was on Facebook pages that I had liked and show up in my news feed...

So if your posts are showing up on someone else's page that you've liked could it be possible that they simply shared your post that you had posted...hmmmmm

posted on Oct, 24 2012 @ 02:02 PM
link   
reply to post by relocator

No, I did not "like" the White House page, Mitt Romney's page, The Department of Homeland Security's page, or Barrack Obama's page. Plus why would The White House's page share something about NDAA???

posted on Oct, 24 2012 @ 02:05 PM
link   
www.facebook.com...

lollllll.........everyone on the comments are complaining about the TSA AND gov

posted on Oct, 24 2012 @ 02:08 PM
link   

I have FB and I just had to tell someone off on they're Democrat and union bashing posts,they had lost friends over it and were too dumb to understand that others want to believe they're own way and not have someone that is supposed to be a friend trolling them about it.

They then tried bashing me and I told them off every which way including sideways and told them if they didn't like what I posted then to delete me as a friend. They claimed they had never posted anything on my page about Democrats.
So I had to explain to them that everytime they posted something on THEY'RE wall it also ended up on mine! Since we had friended each other.

It seems they have now fixed it so that it no longer pops up on my wall.But like I told her at one point,if you go online and post things that are inflamatory you can expect that others WILL not agree with you and will post back on it.If you don't like it,DON'T POST WHAT YOU DON'T WANT THE WORLD TO KNOW.

posted on Oct, 24 2012 @ 02:11 PM
link   
I've heard rumors that FB is now automatically "liking" stuff for you based on past likes.

Perhaps that is the case here. Maybe you might have liked some stuff that FB thought related to the DHS?

If I wouldn't say it in front of my mother, it doesn't belong on FB.

posted on Oct, 24 2012 @ 02:16 PM
link   
reply to post by MystikMushroom

I agree. I keep it classy on FB. Mainly I post links to news articles and videos. My comments are generally well thought out and supported by facts. Apparently a very alien theme on FB.

posted on Oct, 24 2012 @ 05:56 PM
link   
Be careful.. I posted my opinion on a local newspapers page and the next week, I was in that very newspaper. Lucky my account was a fake one.

posted on Oct, 25 2012 @ 05:13 AM
link   
Why some of you acting scared? Nobody is going to scare me into silence. I rant and post s*** all the time. I've woke alot of ppl up on my friend's list but Im sure just as many have blocked me. Always calling for an American Revolution 2, everybody needs to buy guns and ammo, false flags, everything and anything to expose the criminals, I will post about. It's all public too. For the past 20 months I haven't shut up. Rant away ppl, don't be scared.

posted on Oct, 25 2012 @ 05:49 AM
link   
Meh! I only bother with it to keep an eye on where to go for nights out.
Mind you, I couldn't help but post this yesterday...I wouldn't say it was particularly politically charged, more a statement of fact.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join