It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Perfect Storm

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 26 2012 @ 01:40 PM
link   
AGAIN...it is not the wind speed, i.e. storm category, that is the issue here.

A small CAT 5 hurricane moving fast might not even produce that much storm surge. BUT a big @ss storm like Sandy can really stir up the ocean and cause a lot of surge, especially if the tides are right, which they will be.

ALSO, it is the sheer amount of rain that she is going to dump that will be a problem.

Because it is Fall season, trees are weaker everywhere in that region.

And with the cold front that is bringing its own moisture and energy combining with Sandy, the combined Franken system is going to stall out for awhile over the NE.

Look, if these other systems were not going to collide with Sandy, then I would totally agree with the notion that this storm is not going to be a problem.

You have to take into consideration that it is not one storm! And I know that some of the media outlets like The Weather Channel are going to do whatever they can do to get more ratings out of this. But I dont think NOAA gives a damn about ratings, and they are worried.

They are not worried about the cold front, nor are they worried about Sandy. THE ISSUE is the combination of these storms, plus the high tides of a full moon.

Rather than say, OMG everyone is going to die, or OMG these wimps are freaking...it is way to better to go..holy $#!& these two storms are gonna collide and anyone in its path should be prepared for the worst case!

Peace

posted on Oct, 26 2012 @ 01:51 PM
link   
reply to post by lasertaglover

Thank you for that clear and rational explanation of the severity of the situation.

You can also add to the list of factors that are adding to this perfect storm - there is a full moon coming up Oct. 29. high tides from the full moon + storm surges = bad news.

posted on Oct, 26 2012 @ 01:53 PM
link   
Yes, I agree. The High pressure system that will collide with Sandy is a worry. If anything I was hoping for my post to be a little comforting in this time of uncertainty. I do not want to down play this at all but I would like for people to have a hint of optimism as well. I wish everyone in the path of this storm safety.

posted on Oct, 26 2012 @ 01:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by ldyserenity
Better buy all the loaves of bread you can get or buy some yeast and a bread machine.

See .. that's the problem. In the old days I could live off dry goods like cereal and sandwiches. Now I have autoimmune. I can't have any bread or pastas. No yeast. No molds (like cheeses). No sugar. No cereal. Everything I eat has an experation now. I have a bunch of cans of canned chicken. (oh yummy
) And I bought a bunch of green bananas that will ripen next week. Some cukes too. But I can't do the breads, crackers cereals that are the storm survival foods .... not anymore.

posted on Oct, 26 2012 @ 01:58 PM
link   
Jim Cantore just said he's going to NYC. Jim Cantore always gets the worst part (or to him I'm sure it's the best part) of a serious storm situation. I was worried I'd bump into him here in Wilmington (Delaware). But he's headed for NYC so that makes me feel better.

Mike Seidel will be in Philly. He always gets the second worst (or best to him) assignments for these storms. Both of those are north of us. I hope that's good news for us.

West Virginia and part of Pennsylvania (out by Gettysburg) are colored in WHITE now on the weather map. So they'll be getting some solid snow.

I'm thinking we'll be sheltering in place ....

posted on Oct, 26 2012 @ 02:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by FlyersFan

Originally posted by ldyserenity
Better buy all the loaves of bread you can get or buy some yeast and a bread machine.

See .. that's the problem. In the old days I could live off dry goods like cereal and sandwiches. Now I have autoimmune. I can't have any bread or pastas. No yeast. No molds (like cheeses). No sugar. No cereal. Everything I eat has an experation now. I have a bunch of cans of canned chicken. (oh yummy
) And I bought a bunch of green bananas that will ripen next week. Some cukes too. But I can't do the breads, crackers cereals that are the storm survival foods .... not anymore.

Yeah I too am autoimmune.....no wheat, dairy, peanuts/beans.........my meds are refrigerated.....
Do you have a generator???? I was *lucky* that my father bought me one this summer after our local Lowes restocked. But I know most people do not have one. Please be safe and take care!!

posted on Oct, 26 2012 @ 02:30 PM
link   
This is quite frightening.

posted on Oct, 26 2012 @ 02:32 PM
link   
Everyone is in full panic mode around here. I think we're all set. Hopefully it's not too bad for too long.

Good luck everyone.

posted on Oct, 26 2012 @ 02:56 PM
link   
reply to post by lasertaglover

Well put, and I agree with you wholeheartedly.

When I was a toddler, the region I lived in was devastated by a tropical storm by the name of Agnes. While the winds were nothing to write home about, the western reaches of the county I lived in (Schuylkill, PA) received 19" of rain in a twenty-four hour span. My parents said that if one had to venture outside during the height of the downpour, they had to put your hands over their mouth so they could breath.

Birds were found drowned in their nests.

All of Pennsylvania was declared a disaster area (as were several other states, if I'm not mistaken), and the ecosystem of the Chesapeake Bay was badly damaged for decades thereafter account the amount of freshwater flowing in from its tributaries.

Here is hoping that one and all walk away from this one unscathed.

edit on 26-10-2012 by lokomotiv23 because: Added content.

posted on Oct, 26 2012 @ 03:15 PM
link   
Here in VA the Gov has declared a state of emergency in anticipation of what MAY occur. They can't yet accurately predict where this thing is going to make landfall but they're saying anywhere from just south of me (DC Metro area) to NJ/NY. They're also saying that regardless of where she lands we're in for a heck of a ride due to the sheer size of the storm, it's to be a 36-48 hour event. I did my storm shopping at 5:30 this morning, better safe than sorry & glad I did as by 2pm est the stores were packed. If it goes ashore north of us we're still in for some wicked winds & torrential downpours. If you're on the eastern seaboard please stay safe.

posted on Oct, 26 2012 @ 03:30 PM
link   
Every potential disaster has turned out to be a big flop this year. For example, the big monsters Yellowstone and the Salton Sea. I haven't seen any news about them on here at all for a long time, which leads me to assume that even the sulfur smell has stopped.
The hurricane will rip like a lawnmower through all the usual storm-prone places and leave the unusual locations alone. That's my prediction.
edit on 26-10-2012 by EllaMarina because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 26 2012 @ 03:41 PM
link   

Do you have a generator????

No.

GOOD NEWS .... Delaware has decided that all the poltical campaign signs are now a' HAZARD' because of the storm. The state has ordered all the politicians to remove the signs.
Something good has come of Frankenstorm.

Maryland and Virginia declare states of Emergency.

Why the heck didn't Delaware? Geeeze .. the models bring the eye right over us .. all the way up through the state!!

posted on Oct, 26 2012 @ 04:03 PM
link   
Boeing Philadelphia ... suspended operations UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE.
Starting Noon on Saturday.

Some of the schools here in Delaware have already closed for Monday.
I'm thinking that'll go to Mon/Tue/Wed very quickly.

Weather channel has 10 inches of rain and an arrow pointed directly at Wilmington DE. UGH.
Everyone else it says 3-6 inches of rain.

edit on 10/26/2012 by FlyersFan because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 26 2012 @ 04:09 PM
link   
Umm.. I hate to be the one to mention this if someone hadn't already, but I sure hope someone is thinking to secure things like early ballot returns in a safe and dry place. Where ever that is. It's so close now, there ARE a meaningful numbers of them already accumulated within some of those huge areas. I'd hate for anyone to use the crisis this storm may create to later ...from either side...use it as the reason 'so much was lost....or can't be known for sure....or suspected this or that'.

It's a potential Human crisis and that MUST come first, of course....where there are resources remaining though, this should be the immediate second to my thinking. A bad election for almost any reason this cycle could be a nuke going off in society.

posted on Oct, 26 2012 @ 04:10 PM
link   
Here's the latest image:

posted on Oct, 26 2012 @ 04:10 PM
link   
reply to post by FlyersFan

We're under a state of emergency, school is canceled for you & yours....yet I have to be at work Saturday, Sunday, Monday, Tuesday...& so on. So help me if my boss demands I show up Sunday evening or Monday morning (if conditions are starting to deteriorate) I'm saying PAID DAY OFF!!!!

posted on Oct, 26 2012 @ 04:25 PM
link   
reply to post by SpittinTruth

Beautiful Image!
Thanks for bringing it...
Complex weather systems upon the earth for sure.

posted on Oct, 26 2012 @ 05:57 PM
link   
This seems to be the latest from the Met office, they expect it to be hitting land nearer the most northerly eastern parts of the USA, with a possibility of snow and an increase of winds, (currently 80mph) and precipitation as it meets the south travelling cold front from the same area,

metofficenews.wordpress.com...
Pay particular attention to this,
wattsupwiththat.com...
as it deals more constructively with the whys and wherefores.
Stay safe all concerned
edit on 26-10-2012 by smurfy because: Text.

posted on Oct, 26 2012 @ 06:02 PM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

Wondering if this would cause them to suspend

or delay them.

posted on Oct, 26 2012 @ 06:06 PM
link   
Governor Perdue just called for a State of Emergency for the state of North Carolina for 33 counties on the eastern side. So yeah that includes me. I can already see the wide outer bands across the sky with intermittent rain.....

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join