It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Perfect Storm

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 26 2012 @ 08:54 AM
link   
reply to post by eriktheawful

The eye will go right over us. DOUBLE CRAP. It'll be a freak'n mess.

Now that it's supposed to be here on Halloween, the radio stations have all switched over to calling it 'Frankenstorm' and they play Halloween music and 'It's the End of the World as We Know It' while talking about Frankenstorm.

I went to Lowes this morning at 8:00 ... I got the LAST of the Poland Spring Bottled Water. They are sold out already.

posted on Oct, 26 2012 @ 08:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by nixie_nox
So who in Delaware has bad karma?

Yeah .. thanks for that. Gotta' be me.
Considering my 'special needs' due to diet and all .. I'm wondering about bugging out.
Maybe go South West to W. Virginia or something.
Shelter in place is better ... but I need power because I'm strictly limited on my diet.

posted on Oct, 26 2012 @ 09:00 AM
link   
reply to post by FlyersFan

I should of known it was you! Thanks. You are ruining my Halloween.

I would go out NOW and get everything you need, before the panic stampede this weekend. Are you in upper or lower Delaware. If you are blocked off by the bay, you may want to head west.

I will keep you updated. They are evacuating campgrounds now.

posted on Oct, 26 2012 @ 09:03 AM
link   

Better buy all the loaves of bread you can get or buy some yeast and a bread machine.
The trucks probably won't be able to bring in fresh loaves. And if the water runs out, don't worry bring in buckets of snow they can melt to water. If you have a truck or suv a plow is a good investmant too.

ETA I don't recall ever having power go down that long but I wasn't in Delaware, I know NJ was always good with power, but a generator may be considered because they will have enough to see you through if it does go out, it won't be out for weeks.
edit on 26-10-2012 by ldyserenity because: add

posted on Oct, 26 2012 @ 09:08 AM
link   

I wouldn't go to West Virginia. As the storm hits the mountains and cold air wraps around it, they could be looking at some major snow on trees that still have some leaves = major power outages. That area may have difficulties all their own even away from the coast. Just some food for thought...

posted on Oct, 26 2012 @ 09:17 AM
link   
The next NOAA advisory is due at 11am, but I thought these images might tell the story a bit better:

www.nhc.noaa.gov...?large#contents

www.hpc.ncep.noaa.gov...

Peace and Stay Safe

posted on Oct, 26 2012 @ 09:20 AM
link   
reply to post by lasertaglover

Good Points! Found this blurb which I think explains the uniqueness of the converging conditions...

You might ask yourself, aren’t hurricanes supposed to weaken as they head north?

Why are these pressures so low?

Or as the Weather Channel’s Bryan Norcross put it: “What the hell is going on?”

Norcross’ answer: “This is a beyond-strange situation. It’s unprecedented and bizarre.”

He then offers a hypothesis (which I agree with):
"The upper-air steering pattern that is part of the puzzle is not all that unheard of. It happens when the atmosphere gets blocked over the Atlantic and the flow over the U.S. doubles back on itself. Sometimes big winter storms are involved.

The freak part is that a hurricane happens to be in the right place in the world to get sucked into this doubled-back channel of air and pulled inland from the coast.

And the double-freak part is that the upper level wind, instead of weakening the storm and simply absorbing the moisture - which would be annoying enough - is merging with the tropical system to create a monstrous hybrid vortex. A combination of a hurricane and a nor’easter."

A simpler explanation: the clash of the cold blast from the continental U.S. and the massive surge of warm, moist air from Hurricane Sandy will cause the storm to explode and the pressure to crash.

These historic low pressure levels simulated by the model are equivalent to a category 3 or 4 hurricane, which have peak winds over 115 mph. But Sandy’s winds will not be that high, because as it transitions into this hybrid hurricane-nor’easter monster, its core will unwind. So its peak winds will diminish, but strong winds will be felt over a vast area.

Source - Washington Post

posted on Oct, 26 2012 @ 09:22 AM
link   
reply to post by Virgil Cain

Serious thanks for such a great explanation!

Peace

posted on Oct, 26 2012 @ 09:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by VaterOrlaag
reply to post by smurfzilla

Oh, what about the folks that just happen to live in D.C but have nothing to do with politics?

Save this crap for some other juvenile-minded forum.

Juvenile, huh? Yeah...right! I can't wait to see the next topic regarding "illegal aliens" that were actually born on planet earth. Save that....."i'm so better than everyone else", for another forum.

posted on Oct, 26 2012 @ 09:34 AM
link   
reply to post by ldyserenity

Good idea, just got a new bread machine. May go that route. Gives me an excuse to make fresh bread!

posted on Oct, 26 2012 @ 09:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by FlyersFan

So who in Delaware has bad karma?

Yeah .. thanks for that. Gotta' be me.
Considering my 'special needs' due to diet and all .. I'm wondering about bugging out.
Maybe go South West to W. Virginia or something.
Shelter in place is better ... but I need power because I'm strictly limited on my diet.

I just saw they are expected a huge snow storm with over 1 feet of snow near the WV Ohio border with 6plus inches around that......Weatherman said a "SNOW STORM OF THE AGES"!!!!! Raleigh NC or border near VA and NC may be better.. It is scary, I'm on a strict diet too

I am in Eastern NC so I know the fear. When Irene came through we were without power for over a week.......I'm ready for a storm now thank god!!!! I truly fear for those who live in the Delaware Baltimore area....And DC hmmmmmmm....If it follows the US models it will hit the Long Island sound.....

This storm is truly scary. I hope everyone battens down the hatches and gets prepared!!!!!!!
edit on 26-10-2012 by Starwise because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 26 2012 @ 10:15 AM
link   
Uh, yeah
I just watched a live segment on the Weather Channel where Mike Seidel was covering "Sandy" from Florida. He was all bundled up in rain gear preaching how the rains were piercing and what not. Then, the camera panned and showed two people in shorts and t-shirts at the waters edge enjoying themselves and taking pictures. The cameraman quickly panned another direction to obscure them. Sensationalize much? At the end of the segment, again the beach goers were in the shot and the station abruptly cut the feed. I'm thinking this storm is for our viewing pleasure and not so much a big ordeal as we are led to believe. The predicted winds are not out of the norm for even us in the Mid-West especially during a good front rolling through! I'm not taking away from the severity of 50-70 mph gust but I think it is being overplayed.....time will tell!

posted on Oct, 26 2012 @ 11:22 AM
link   
reply to post by lasertaglover

That eye is going RIGHT over us on Tuesday/Wednesday. I really hope it changes direction, but it is not looking likely.

Everyone here is very busy getting ready. At work everyone is reviewing our call lists and power-outage/bad weather/closure procedures, etc. I tired to get gas this morning, but the station was already overcrowded and I did not want to be late for work. I bet I will regret postponing that when I try again later.
edit on 10/26/12 by BlueAjah because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 26 2012 @ 11:23 AM
link   
reply to post by Zippidee

Whew! I was worried. I can relax now from your interpretation from a clip on a news segment! What was I thinking!

You do know the windspeeds are the maintained windspeeds, right? So it is not 80 mph gusts, it is a constant 80 mph wind.
And It is not the wind that does all the damage, it is the storm surge.

I am sure the 29 that are dead in the Caribbean are relieved at your interpretation too!
edit on 26-10-2012 by nixie_nox because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 26 2012 @ 11:30 AM
link   

Homestead Fl would like to respectfully disagree.

posted on Oct, 26 2012 @ 11:38 AM
link   
reply to post by Juggernog

That doesn't tell me anything.

posted on Oct, 26 2012 @ 11:39 AM
link   
reply to post by nixie_nox

Ahh, maybe youre too young to remember Hurricane Andrew and what it did to Homestead Fl.
It completely wiped it out, look it up.
edit on 10/26/2012 by Juggernog because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 26 2012 @ 12:24 PM
link   
To be fair, it can be both wind and storm surge that causes the damage.

There are a lot of "depends" on which will be worse. If you have a Tropical Storm or Hurricane level 1, then the winds will not do as much damage, as say a Cat 5 Hurricane.

However, even a Cat 1 or Tropical storm can produce very damaging storm surges for the populations near and on the coast lines, or near where rivers and bays are.

So while a Cat 1 or Tropical storm may not have the sustain winds to do a lot of damage that way, it can have storm surges that can cause terrible damage.

Ask yourself this question: how much water does it take to pick up a car and move it? The answer is measured in inches........not feet. Storm surges of only a couple of feet can wreck a lot of things, as boats and cars are swept in and start slamming into builds, power lines, cell towers, etc.

While I do not advocate people running around in panic, and saying this is the end of the world for them, neither should people, especially those that might be in it's path, blow this thing off.

posted on Oct, 26 2012 @ 12:31 PM
link   

Whew! I was worried. I can relax now from your interpretation from a clip on a news segment! What was I thinking!

You do know the windspeeds are the maintained windspeeds, right? So it is not 80 mph gusts, it is a constant 80 mph wind.

I am sure the 29 that are dead in the Caribbean are relieved at your interpretation too!
edit on 26-10-2012 by nixie_nox because: (no reason given)

According to the Weather outlets, you are incorrect. Sustained winds of the 25 to 35 mph variety can be expected with gusts from 50 to 70. At least that is what the weather forecasters models are saying. You can beat me up if you want but this is what I am seeing.
edit on 26-10-2012 by Zippidee because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 26 2012 @ 12:37 PM
link   
"I am sure the 29 that are dead in the Caribbean are relieved at your interpretation too!"

I don't see a need for sarcasm! Its a tragedy for them yes but most people living in coastal areas in the Carribbean live in make shift dwellings built from bundled sheet metal and plywood. I've vacationed there extensively and seen it first hand. Their homes are not what you would call fortified. Again, the loss of life is tragic but my point is valid.

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join