It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Perfect Storm

page: 10
<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 28 2012 @ 02:20 PM
link   
reply to post by storm2012

S&F OP
and cool thread, just seen this storm reported on sky news, my thoughts and prayers go out to all affected.
This is a serious storm by all accounts and one to watch, Im in the uk just over the pond, I will be jumping between two threads tonight this one andThis One
Stay safe to all of you x

posted on Oct, 28 2012 @ 02:42 PM
link   
I feel like none of the east coast nfl teams are playing at home, I'll have to google it. Maybe the NFL new about sandy coming to town while they were planning the season schedule this year :p a little conspiracy

Valiant effort, I was wrong hah
edit on 28-10-2012 by safetymeeting because: I was wrong

posted on Oct, 28 2012 @ 02:43 PM
link   
This is predicted to go all the way up into Canada with the eye passing just west of Toronto. Chicago has already been told to prepare for high surf from the wind over Lake Michigan. Most of the east coast including 4-500 miles inland to expect power outages for up to a week. Depending on the winds we are expecting lake effect snow from Lake Erie so snow AND flooding.

www.intellicast.com...

posted on Oct, 28 2012 @ 02:59 PM
link   
Regarding preparation...

We have been getting emails today from our local power company, internet/cable provider, and even our insurance company, detailing what resources they have on hand for the storm, what their plans are, what to do in case of outage, and precautions that everyone should take.

I thought others from out of the area might be interested in the one we got today from our local law enforcement:

Alert: Flood Watch/High Wind Warning in effect for *edit* jurisdiction through Tuesday.

Hi *edit*,
As we prepare for Hurricane Sandy, The *edit* Regional Police Department is warning residents to be prepared for the potential for a significant weather event, starting tonight and intensifying Monday into Tuesday.

The National Weather Service has issued a flood watch and high-wind warning as a result of this storm, and that may change as the storm moves inland.

As a result of this storm, the *edit* is undertaking measures to prepare, such as increasing patrol personnel available to residents throughout the next two days.

Police are asking residents to prepare for dangerous winds and flooding. This includes:

1. Staying away from trees and large branches during hind wind periods. An *edit* resident was seriously injured when he was struck by a large branch in a recent storm. It can happen suddenly and unexpectedly, and have severe results.

2. Avoid flooded areas. Driving through flooded roadways is a dangerous risk, and puts officers and fire personnel at risk as we must risk our lives as well to save you. It is against the law to drive around police barricades when the road has been closed, and we will be aggressively enforcing these laws throughout the next few days. Please, if you don't have to drive, then don't.

3. Secure outdoor items like patio tables, chairs, and grills. High winds can certainly blow these items around, which could cause injuries and property damage.

4. Prepare your emergency kit now. That includes batteries, non-perishable food such as nuts, cereals, and granola bars, water, blankets, medications, tools, glasses, etc. Plan for widespread power outages that may last several days.

Again, our police department has been mobilized and will be ready to help residents 24 hours a day. Contact police, fire, and ambulances for emergencies by dialing 911. Non-emergency calls can be made by dialing *edit*.

I will be using my Facebook profile *edit* to update residents on road conditions and weather conditions throughout the day on Monday and Tuesday. Please send a friend request and keep me updated in your backyard as well. Any large scale emergencies will be relayed through Nixle.

Thank you, and be safe.

posted on Oct, 28 2012 @ 03:13 PM
link   
I just can't get over how much moisture is really going to be coming down.

www.hpc.ncep.noaa.gov...

Peace and Stay Safe

posted on Oct, 28 2012 @ 03:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Gridrebel

lol!
Always listen to the chickens!

posted on Oct, 28 2012 @ 05:16 PM
link   
reply to post by lasertaglover

These figures are similar to what we saw in Missouri earlier this year with Issac. The NHC had forecast anywhere between 6 and 14 inches of rain. We saw about 7 here, other locations saw 9 to 10. Meanwhile though on the coast rainfall exceeded 16 inches. It's simply important to note that the main factors here are the storm surges. Resolution for getting off of those surges is similar to what our friends in Hawaii had to do last night. The storm is impressive, but only by its size, which is not even one of the largest storms since we've been tracking them, and may perhaps only be the second or third largest in the last 15 years.

posted on Oct, 28 2012 @ 05:34 PM
link   
I was watching the news earlier and they said Sandy was "Mother Nature's October surprise." My spidey senses went "well #." Every year October is always talked about in regards to something major happening, but nothing ever happens. Maybe this is the year.

My dad was in Washington DC last year and had to leave early for a hurricane (I think Irene, but I'm not sure). This year he's in Virginia and is trying to get home. He's having to drive to North Carolina, and then take a flight home, but he should get here (eventually).

Thoughts and prayers to everyone in the area affected. Stay safe, and please leave if you are in an evacuation zone.

posted on Oct, 28 2012 @ 05:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by rickymouse
reply to post by LittleBlackEagle

Do you have life vests for your chickens or are they good swimmers?

no need for that since we're 700' ASL, if a flood washes my home away it's game over for millions.

i was wondering if breading them would help them stay afloat though?
just kidding my birds are for eggs.

posted on Oct, 28 2012 @ 06:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by riverwild
reply to post by eriktheawful

That is one BIG storm!!!!!

Reports saying it's expected to be the biggest in 100 years.

Anyone know what storm they are comparing it to?

I think it may be compared to Gloria in 1985. Seems very similar but we will know in a day or so.

Hurricane_Gloria

Actually Gloria reached Category 4 status and this one never got past 1. Gloria was Cat 1 at landfall and this looks to be Cat 1 at landfall.

I dont know how they compare as far as size since the images from '85 are not as good but Gloria looked as big..as far as i can tell/

edit on 28-10-2012 by Malcher because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 28 2012 @ 06:36 PM
link   
OMG I just heard on TWC that there are cruise ships that are taking to sea right now WITH passengers!!! Holy crud, are they kidding? They are thinking that to have them anchored close to shore would potentially be more damaging to the ships and the ports but PEOPLE on the ship out at sea during a hurricane and 30+ foot waves? The only advice they had was "Hope the passengers have their Dramamine"!!!

I would say "Get me OFF this ship NOW"

Can you imagine what the ships Captain and crew let alone the tourists are thinking right now heading out over the blacked rough seas to ride out the storm?

posted on Oct, 28 2012 @ 06:46 PM
link   
Peach Bottom nuclear power plant is right in the path of the storm, hopefully they have everything in order. I know the NRC started sending out personnel to the affected plants a couple days ago.

posted on Oct, 28 2012 @ 06:48 PM
link   
Where is OBama in all this? I mean he should be making news conferences and trying to reassure people, oh wait hes too freaking busy writing executive orders for the worst case scenario...

posted on Oct, 28 2012 @ 06:52 PM
link   
reply to post by antar

He has made quite a few comments about it. And it suspending campaigning tomorrow after an Orlando meeting to hunder down in the white house.

posted on Oct, 28 2012 @ 06:54 PM
link   
DC Federal offices are now close. State of Maryland offices now closed. City of Annapolis in Maryland is being evacuated. City of Baltimore is shutting down ALL public transporation services including port authority.
4500 Maryland National Guard is being distributed throughout the the state. The governor has urged that only mergency personnel are on the roads.

posted on Oct, 28 2012 @ 06:56 PM
link   
Huh just had a computer mozilla crash... that was a first, I would crap myself if we all lost internet during the east/west coast disasters...

posted on Oct, 28 2012 @ 06:56 PM
link   
m.complex.com...

A pretty interesting gif of the storm tightening up. It is on Facebook, ( sorry ), and an ad may pop up. It is worth the watch though.

Sandy is mean looking. I hope people get out of the way of this thing fast.

posted on Oct, 28 2012 @ 06:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by JackBauer
Peach Bottom nuclear power plant is right in the path of the storm, hopefully they have everything in order. I know the NRC started sending out personnel to the affected plants a couple days ago.

They are right on the water but the critical buildings are up the hill some. They might get flooded in but the reactors will be above the storm surge. By the time the flood waters rise from runoff the storm surge should be down.

The parking lots will probably be under water though.

posted on Oct, 28 2012 @ 06:57 PM
link   
reply to post by nixie_nox

Have not caught any of his comments. Hunker down indeed. I doubt it will be at the WH.

posted on Oct, 28 2012 @ 07:25 PM
link   
reply to post by antar

President Obama is warning Americans living in the path of Hurricane Sandy not to take the storm threat lightly.

politico

Obama, who still plans to leave for Florida tonight, had been scheduled to stay on the campaign trail until Wednesday -- but he will now return to the White House on Monday night to monitor the impact of the storm.

usatoday

Ahead of Hurricane Sandy's impending landfall, President Obama visited the Federal Emergency Management Agency's headquarters in Washington, D.C., for a briefing on the latest storm preparations.

cbs

new topics

top topics

<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join