It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Photography faster than the speed of light.

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 25 2012 @ 03:01 AM
link   
reply to post by ANOK

Well the problem is the media articles on the topic make someone think exactly what you thought. The media tends to butcher science articles! So I blame the reporting not you

posted on Oct, 25 2012 @ 04:01 AM
link   
It would be fun to see a Camera that actually has a shutter that moves faster than light.

First of all we need a way to accelerate the shutter to faster than the speed of light ...a very large fission reactor ( probably the size of a planet) or maybe by exploding the Sun within a Dyson Sphere and taking all the energy produced should allow us to harness the power recquired.

We then need a material which can take the strain...maybe some sort of super Graphene that hasnt been developed yet.

Once the shutter achieves FTL speeds, its mass would increase in proporotion to its speed meaning that at the time it meets the aperture shutter surface it would cause a small explosion similar to a small tactical nuke going off.

I wouldnt want to be operating it.

I'd like to start a campaign to rename the Speed of Light as it's possibly the most confusing term in science today.

Quantum Manifold Traversal Maximum is much more catchy....
edit on 25-10-2012 by Jukiodone because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 25 2012 @ 04:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by Jukiodone
It would be fun to see a Camera that actually has a shutter that moves faster than light.

First of all we need a way to accelerate the shutter to faster than the speed of light ...a very large fission reactor ( probably the size of a planet) or maybe by exploding the Sun within a Dyson Sphere and taking all the energy produced should allow us to harness the power recquired.

Actually equalling light speed would require infinite energy, as in more energy than is contained in the entire universe.

Once the shutter achieves FTL speeds, its mass would increase in proporotion to its speed meaning that at the time it meets the aperture shutter surface it would cause a small explosion similar to a small tactical nuke going off.

It is not in proportion, any object with mass upon reaching light speed would aquire infinite mass, it would create a black hole that theoretically would swallow the universe.

It wouldn't matter if you were the guy operating it or not, you'd be dead either way.

posted on Oct, 25 2012 @ 08:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by ANOK

Originally posted by bigfatfurrytexan
reply to post by BigBrotherDarkness

well....it is more of a trick of photography.

They take several cameras, and then link all their individual frames together to create the "million FPS" resolution you see here. Anyone with a whole bunch of cameras, and an ability to stitch the photo's together in a timeline, can do this.

But this isn't about the "million FPS" resolution, it's about a shutter speed, how long the cameras aperture is open to the light. In this case the shutter speed is faster than the speed of light, thus it captures light in movement, much like the propeller of a plane seeming to be not moving.

Capturing Movement

Take a minute and let what you just said soak in a little.

The shutter is moving faster than the speed of light. It is a superluminal shutter.

Does that make sense? As an obect approaches the speed of light it gains infinite mass. How would we be able to have a shutter move at superluminal speeds without throwing off the entire solar system?

It we were to capture a single photon on film, you wouldn't see anything. Not unless you have a pixel size on that photo that is extremely tiny.

posted on Oct, 25 2012 @ 05:33 PM
link   
reply to post by bigfatfurrytexan

I know I explained in a reply above. I had a senior moment.

posted on Oct, 25 2012 @ 05:35 PM
link   
reply to post by OccamsRazor04

Well thank you, I appreciate that. I've been hiding in embarrassment all night lol.

posted on Oct, 25 2012 @ 06:09 PM
link   

I know I explained in a reply above. I had a senior moment.

i think we are in the same "Senior Moments Club".

I was accepted at the young age of 39 because I am so prodigious.

posted on Oct, 25 2012 @ 08:51 PM
link   
reply to post by ANOK

Sometimes our tongue covers our eye teeth; and we can't see whats coming out of our mouths. Don't sweat it, thanks for adding to the discussion.

posted on Oct, 25 2012 @ 08:57 PM
link   

Actually there is something that goes faster than the speed of light...more light; better known as super light...these photons known as super light are found going over the edge of a black hole; the extreme gravity that keeps light from escaping increases photon speed as it is sucked into the singularity.

There are some that theorize that black holes actually drain the luminescence from photons themselves. There are other theories; that other zero mass particles of the magnetic wave type, might move even faster than photons, warping space time. But they have not been extensively studied to be conclusive.

edit on 25-10-2012 by BigBrotherDarkness because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 25 2012 @ 10:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by BigBrotherDarkness

Actually there is something that goes faster than the speed of light...more light; better known as super light...these photons known as super light are found going over the edge of a black hole; the extreme gravity that keeps light from escaping increases photon speed as it is sucked into the singularity.

There are some that theorize that black holes actually drain the luminescence from photons themselves. There are other theories; that other zero mass particles of the magnetic wave type, might move even faster than photons, warping space time. But they have not been extensively studied to be conclusive.

Are you talking about tachyons? Been awhile since I have read on them. They move backwards on the temporal flow, right?

From what I recall RE: the superluminal "appearance" of photons nearing the singularity, my recollection was that this was not actually true superluminal speeds, but rather a trick of relativity.

Of course, I am a moron in general. So this is just me pulling things either deep out of my memory or deep out of my derriere.

posted on Oct, 26 2012 @ 02:38 AM
link   

SuperLight is magnetic light; it is magneto–electric radiation. Regular light is electric light or electro–magnetic radiation. There is parity or symmetry the Universe, everything has an equal and opposite mirror–image counterpart, the Ying and the Yang, right and left, matter and anti matter, the electron and the positron. Why not light? Both science and metaphysics have honored this parity law in all things except light.

For in-depth: Photons have parity...
The discussion of super light hits about a quarter way down the page.

It only makes sense that photons would have parity, it's a magnetic particle isn't it?

posted on Oct, 27 2012 @ 11:07 PM
link   

Well thank you, I appreciate that. I've been hiding in embarrassment all night lol.

Never be embarassed about learning something new, only be embarassed when you refuse to learn.

posted on Oct, 27 2012 @ 11:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by BigBrotherDarkness

No particle with mass can travel faster than light. Last I checked, camera's shutter is made completely of particles with mass. Tachyons and virtual particles that have no rest mass are not limited in this way, as anything * 0 = 0.

posted on Oct, 27 2012 @ 11:21 PM
link   

Your statement that the Photography is faster than the speed of light is flawed. Any Mechanism which is set to at a specific time to photograph Photons in a specific position must do so with a continual beam of light. If you were to say attempt to detect and capture a specific Photon or Group of Photons without a continuous flow of Photons it would be impossible.

All that is happening here is a construct to enable photography of the Light Beams continual flow at a certain moment which is not predetermined. Split Infinity

posted on Oct, 30 2012 @ 03:24 AM
link   

Photons are also a zero mass particle...it's interesting to see how they interact with black holes; because it turns theory accepted as law on end.

posted on Oct, 30 2012 @ 03:35 AM
link   
reply to post by SplitInfinity

The photos of photons captured frame by frame and pieced in slow motion for the video...even though it was slowly pieced together; from tons of information, it is still light captured in a single spot by 1 trillion frames. So it is not really stretching the truth too far...have you never umpphed a headline in a post while staying in bounds according to the full article?

If you wish to debunk titles here at ATS; your road is going to be long and arduous one...If one reads and understand the tech; then the title is just fine...not only will it attract simpleton's that may learn something, it also offers something to those versed in tech; this equals a no harm no foul headline...the simpleton won't get it, but expand their minds for an instant; and those versed in the tech might try it out for themselves or move along another line of experiment related.

posted on Oct, 30 2012 @ 04:04 AM
link   

Does this mean that the speed of light is not the fastest thing in the universe?

posted on Oct, 30 2012 @ 08:31 PM
link   

Ow. I stinging retort! LOL! I stand by my statement. Split Infinity

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join