It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Funny Advertisements you dont see anymore, or do you?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 24 2012 @ 09:16 AM
link   
I have a keen interest in business and marketing and I find it truly fascinating how advertisements have evolved to our contemporary incarnations.

Old

Contemporary

Not much has changed to the under lying message, drink Coke and you will be healthy and beautiful

I think the following is the most scary/funny ad of them all

Here are some funy ones from the past:

All attempts to sway your buying behaviour through endorsement of professionals and silly, unfounded conclusions.

It is apparent to me that the underlying messages of modern advertising are more subtle but no less influencing. Will we see our contemporary ads as crazy in the future or are they completely different from times of old.

You tell me

edit on 24-10-2012 by MDDoxs because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 24 2012 @ 09:19 AM
link   
All i got from that was SANITIZED TAPE WORM... WHAT THE HELL!?

You should look into the shape of the coke bottles from early says.

posted on Oct, 24 2012 @ 09:25 AM
link   
reply to post by MDDoxs

Some of those ads are just CRAZY!

The one that really screamed at me was the ad saying it's never too early to have your child start drinking soda!

Flash forward, and now kids are drinking too much of it!

posted on Oct, 24 2012 @ 09:31 AM
link   
EEEWWWWWW
How do you go about sanitizing tape worms?

What is really scary is thinking about the fact that it wasn't really that long ago that we were given all this great advise through these ads.

posted on Oct, 24 2012 @ 09:34 AM
link   
You do not really see funny ads no more really.
One that cracked me up was on antiques roadshow (BBC)
This guy brought in a advertising sign, that was for cigars or something of similar properties.
And on it, it claimed that they help soar throats!
But well back then probably coc aine was good for concetration.
Crack was good for cracking that maths exam!

posted on Oct, 24 2012 @ 09:37 AM
link   
"Sanitized Tapeworm"s for weight control? Aaaaargh, gag a maggot! The idea is so repulsive to me!

Thank you OP for these "funnies".

posted on Oct, 24 2012 @ 09:39 AM
link   
reply to post by MDDoxs

Awesome!

Give your child a coke, a smoke and sit them in front of the tv.

posted on Oct, 24 2012 @ 09:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by chiefsmom
EEEWWWWWW
How do you go about sanitizing tape worms?

What is really scary is thinking about the fact that it wasn't really that long ago that we were given all this great advise through these ads.

When I saw the tapeworm ad, that one made me want to puke, but it also made me recall that within the last couple of years that it was making a comeback.....seriously.

This is a You Tube spoof of the tapeworm diet, because people did start doing that again.

Here is an article where it was banned in the US.

www.dietsinreview.com...

The good news is that importing or selling tapeworms in the U.S. is illegal. Tapeworms though, do occur in undercooked beef or raw meat dishes which are prone to contamination.

After reading this one, any beef I eat will be cooked to over well done!

edit on 24-10-2012 by Sissel because: (no reason given)

edit on 24-10-2012 by Sissel because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 24 2012 @ 09:52 AM
link   
reply to post by MDDoxs

Old

Underlying message - Successful pedophiles use Coke as lure.

Contemporary

Underlying message - Drink Coke and you'll get some.

Laboratory tests over the past few years have proven that babies who start drinking soda during those early formative period have a much higher chance of gaining acceptance and "fitting in" during those awkward pre-teen and teen years. ...Start them on a strict regimen of sodas and other carbonated sugary beverages right now, for a lifetime of guaranteed happiness."

Analysis - Laboratory tests cannot prove anything about the real world; a "few years" are not enough to show any connection between infants and teens, never mind infants and adults. This ad provides sufficient evidence for a major class action lawsuit, perhaps promoted by your local Diabetes Society.

The next three headlines and sub-headlines:
1. TV can mean better behavior at home [No kidding - they're zombies] and better marks in school [omg!! That's why they dumbed down the educational system!].
2. More doctors smoke Camels than any other cigarette. [Other stats for the same period showed doctors dying younger.]
3. Fat banished with sanitized tape worms, jar packed. [Anyone know the associated health risks?]

...but not.

edit on 24/10/12 by soficrow because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 24 2012 @ 09:55 AM
link   

Tapeworms Reduce Calories

The idea is that introducing tapeworm into the body means that the food you eat is split between your own body and that of the tapeworm. You are a host and tapeworm uses you by attaching suckers to your stomach and feeding on the foods that you eat. To expel calories, we are usually required to expend energy through exercise as an example. The tapeworm is an additional means of reducing the amount of calories that you absorb WITHOUT reducing the calories that you consume. Supporters of the tapeworm will praise this idea of dieters being able to eat whatever they choose to eat while still losing weight.

How to Ingest a Tapeworm

The traditional way of becoming infected with a tapeworm is by eating raw meat, being in contact with infected faeces and other foods containing tapeworm. However, for the purposes of dieting, methods would include the tablet form.

Life cycle of the Tapeworm

After being ingested, the tapeworm makes its way through the digestive system, attaching itself and feeding as it goes. Eventually, it will make its way out of the body with bowel movements. This is a very unpleasant experience both physically and psychologically. People have been known to take drugs designed to reduce the lifespan of the tapeworm so that it is already dead when it is removed from the body.

Availability

Possessing tapeworms is illegal in America and unavailable as a legitimate treatment for weight loss.

Tapeworm Diet Review - Risks and Critics

Ingesting a tapeworm is basically infecting your body with a foreign living organism which the body will try and fight off. Tapeworms are not intelligent or obedient, they won’t stay in your stomach just because you tell them too, it is possible for tapeworm to deviate into other parts of your body through your blood system, even your brain, where of course it can have deadly results

Nope, it is not worth the risks.

Source

posted on Oct, 24 2012 @ 09:57 AM
link   
How far we have come eh? Or have we truly come that far at all...

The recent inconsistency of advertising and articles stating that "x" food is now good for you or "y" food is now bad for you, is what I find funny and worrying.

If people believed these ads back then, and we believe contemporary versions, what horrible secrets are they hiding from us NOW!?!?!

posted on Oct, 24 2012 @ 10:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by cavalryscout
reply to post by MDDoxs

Awesome!

Give your child a coke, a smoke and sit them in front of the tv.

Can you imagine the uproar a statement like that would make today?!

Additionally, can you think of products currently being pushed on young children, baby formula?

posted on Oct, 24 2012 @ 11:12 AM
link   
Nice post. They still use the same type of pyhcological tricks to manipulate our emotions and reactions to their products. I think they have just honed their "talents" and gotten less obvious. I was always interested in the techniques they use, even set up a basic web page about cigerrete ads in the 60's. (check it out)

What pisses me off is the amount of alcohol adverts around my town at the moment. Huge billboards alongside roadways, on bustops near schools, last night walking my dog I passed 8 different alcohol posters round the city. At least they banned the cigerrete ads, they should ban alcohol ads too.

Guinness have even invented a "holiday" here now. Arthurs day, to celebrate the creation of guinness, in the weeks in the run up to this glorious day, alcohol ads bombard the city and the TV beams ads showing vast crowds all drinking guinness and toasting Arthurs day. Sure enough monkey see...Come arthurs day people pack the city bars and streets all drinking alcohol. just like they seen on tv . The emergency rooms and and ambulance services and police services are put under serious pressure with alcohol related injuries on this night.

Im not against having a few drinks now and then, but seeing how easy it is to programme the masses with these campaigns kinda worries me. You are actively encouraged to get totaly # faced...over consume our alcohol its all good!!!

posted on Oct, 24 2012 @ 01:44 PM
link   
reply to post by MDDoxs

I'll take some coke with my tape worms please.

Today's marketing cliche is sex. Sex sells.

posted on Oct, 24 2012 @ 01:44 PM
link   
Dbl post
edit on 24-10-2012 by BaneOfQuo because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 24 2012 @ 08:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Angrybadger

Very true points.

I think this stuff influences more then people think.

top topics

join