It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Say I want to become a stunt man...

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 24 2012 @ 08:51 AM
link   
...how do I start? Is it just signing forms releasing other of responsibility? If so, where do I get the proper forms so I can have some on deck. Or is it a certain school somewhere that teaches you how to be a stunt man? How much does it cost to attend? I need some answers yall. By the way, how much do stunt men who do movies vs cable television shows make? Do they get paid per stunt? Is there a company I have to work for or is being a stunt man a solo thing? Do I need an agent? Etc. Any intel. How do stunt men get their foot in the door?

I assume stunt work is under showbusiness. I'm all for showbusiness.

The reason behind my sudden seeking to be a stunt guy is I don't care too much for remaining on this planet. I know that life has victory over death. Meaning, life goes on. Death is not the end. I always figured life gets to its greatest height after this life's physical death. Death is just an illusion brought on by the trick of the physical flesh. In other words, I don't fear death.

posted on Oct, 24 2012 @ 08:58 AM
link   
You'd have to study Gymnastics for years. Learn various forms of Martial Arts.

You'd have to be adept at that kind of stuff, basically from when you were a kid. It's some serious business, and it's basically like a Pro-Sport.

You'd need years and years of training, and thousands of dollars pumped into it.

You'd need an agent, and they wouldn't give it to a person without the proper training, you know, insurance purposes and all.

It's not something you just apply for.

edit on 24-10-2012 by Unrealised because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 24 2012 @ 09:02 AM
link   
Yes some have agents.

There are schools for it, some will get you a contract with a studio. The cost depends on the school.

You don't have to go to the school, but it helps if you look like a current A list actor.

Pay depends on what shots they can uses you for. If you don't look like the actor you'll get paid less. If you have skill needed for a shot you'll get paid more. If you have a skill needed for a shot and look the actor your going to pull in some good money.

There's more to it then just that, but that's a start.

posted on Oct, 24 2012 @ 09:14 AM
link   
reply to post by WarJohn

You apply for it like any other job, and you have to have the resume to support it. Do you have any proven skills? Martial Arts? Stunt driving? Rock-climbing? Sky Diving? Military? Fighting? X-games? Scuba? Are there any videos of you doing your thing? Go to Youtube and look at "Extreme Pullups" or "American Ninja Warrior" or "Free-running." If you have any skills like that, then I'm sure there is a place for you in a movie. I've been a stand in for a couple of local university movies just riding a motorcycle off into the sunset. It didn't require any special skills except for being the right size and knowing how to take off from the shoulder and ride away.

Maybe starte a Youtube channel, and build a portfolio to draw from. Show up on a set somewhere. Book a charity gig where you do something free to benefit a local cause, and then add that to your resume.

I don't think it is enough to just have a blatant disregard for your own safety, you have to actually have some skills that they are looking for, but I'm sure you have something and could develop the rest if you're really commited to it.

posted on Oct, 24 2012 @ 09:24 AM
link   
reply to post by WarJohn

How about checking into one of those training facilities for professional(television) wrestlers? They teach you stuff like how to fall properly and how to take a hit, etc. You might also learn of some contacts through that or similar avenues. I think martial arts training would be a must as well. Most importantly would be learning to do stunts as safely as possible- even Hollywood doesn't want Kamakazi types running around half cocked.

posted on Oct, 24 2012 @ 09:45 AM
link   
reply to post by WarJohn

All good answers above. But...

You say you don't fear death? OK, cool, but what about pain and the medical bills that are incured?

I bet you'll have a healthy fear of those after a few bad tumbles, burns, broken bones...you know? The things that can and will go wrong yet leave you alive to experience them?

posted on Oct, 24 2012 @ 11:18 AM
link   

How do I get my first job?
Well, first you got to get your SAG and/or AFTRA union card.

What is SAG? What is AFTRA?
SAG is short for the Screen Actors Guild, while AFTRA is an abbreviation for the American Federation of Television and Radio Artists. These are the two major unions whose jurisdiction covers Film, music videos and TV. SAG/AFTRA Stunt Coordinators can only work on union films. Therefore they can only hire union (a.k.a. SAG & AFTRA) stunt people to work for them. SAG and AFTRA are two separate sister unions. Just because you are in one of them does not mean you can work in a project that is under the jurisdiction of the other. SAG is considered to be the bigger and most powerful of the two. Most stunt people eventually end up becoming members of both.

Source

Looks like a good start to getting into the business.

posted on Oct, 24 2012 @ 01:19 PM
link   
As a working stuntman, based on your lack of fear of death, please stay the hell out of the business. Your lack of fear not only puts your butt in jeopardy, it also puts my brothers and sisters and crew members' butts in jeopardy as well. Lack of fear is a liability, not an asset. We are professionals who have families and want to go home to see them at the end of the day. Stunt performers are not daredevils. They are smart, analytic, athletes who work very hard at doing the best job for the director and being able to repeat it as many times as needed. Besides, if you're not family, good luck getting in. There are thousands of you guys out there. Go get yourself a reason to really want to live, then come back.
edit on 24-10-2012 by wirefly because: spelling

posted on Oct, 24 2012 @ 01:51 PM
link   
I don't mean to sound racist but if becoming a stuntman is anything like becoming an actor it helps to be jewish or have family already in the industry. If you think I'm joking look at this
en.m.wikipedia.org...

new topics

top topics

join