It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Are humans the only ones who have been given the power of love?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 24 2012 @ 02:10 AM
link   
The racing of reason and feelings they are in competition our wholes lives darting, moving and weaving agmonst the winds always trying to meet and know eachother. The motion of the winds that carry them forever the love, the hate, the pain and the joy...which one are you now?

Here today and gone tommorow the reason falls into the hearts of hollows, our forever love our feelings follow until together again in the winds tommorow.

-----------------
The feelings and reason is really the marriage of time itself for the human race. Without the bond how can there be a possibility for depth of life. The rose can mimic the depth of life with its colour Red but can can it ever experience a depth of heart?

Are humans the only ones who have been given the power of love?

posted on Oct, 24 2012 @ 02:18 AM
link   
Loyal dog stays by owner's grave for six years in Argentina

www.examiner.com...

Have to say no, humans are not special when it comes to love.
edit on 24-10-2012 by cconn487 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 24 2012 @ 02:19 AM
link   
Please correct me if i'm wrong, I may have interpreted this wrong. But an example of another being with love, is my dog, (i'm just using my dog as an example) he loves me and does everything I ask of him, he goes and obeys with no questions asked, when we go outside, he doesn't even try to run away, he defends me without a problem, it just seems like he loves me, as a person could love another. I mean, I hope this doesn't sound creepy. Just trying to explain. Many dogs are the same way with their owner.

posted on Oct, 24 2012 @ 02:19 AM
link   
as the owner of two pekepoms and three cats i believe love transcends species. now i feel all warm and fuzzy

posted on Oct, 24 2012 @ 02:22 AM
link   
reply to post by TehSlenderMan

not creepy. i put peanut butter under my neighbors labs jowels while hes sleeping. har de har har

posted on Oct, 24 2012 @ 02:37 AM
link   
in my opinion and from my own experience, i can tell you an animal has more love than any human i know ever will.

posted on Oct, 24 2012 @ 02:42 AM
link   
A short answer- No.

Longer but more precise part of my opinion-

Biologically speaking, our love is the same as other animals'- it is instincts of attraction, attachment to the familiar, identification with other, etc.

Humans may be the only ones capable of spinning a romanticized conceptualization around their emotions of love, making themselves think it is something more than what other animals have.

Animals and humans have emotions, but only humans have feelings, or sentiments.

posted on Oct, 24 2012 @ 02:52 AM
link   
If a dog can have love, can a parrot? a turkey? a cow? Then why do you eat them when you could be loving them back?

The mothers of all mammals (at least) care for their young, which is a form of love.

Just in case you ask me if a plant can love, I think love requires the ability to make decisions at some level, thus requiring a nervous system.

Some say the opposite of love is fear. Even bacteria retreat from negative stimuli, which could be considered a form of fear. But do bacteria love? I think they mate (or at least exchange DNA) with other bacteria; I don't think that is what the original poster meant by love.

I love my cats. I would like to think they love me back. But I also know they would probably torture a mouse if given the chance.

I wonder if aliens ponder whether we can love. Or if they have any concept of it at all.

posted on Oct, 24 2012 @ 02:54 AM
link   
No humans are just the only species that confuses the complex physiological process known as "love" with some kind of magic.

Love is the result of chemical reactions taking place in the body and brain involving chemicals like seretonin and dopamine, and hormones like pheromones, estrogen and testosterone.

Its evolutionary function is to keep us in family units and other social relationships. Humans are stronger and have a better chance of survival when they care deeply for one another and work as a community. Love tells a mother to care for and protect her children.

Love also helps us to pick the optimal partner to reproduce with. There's a reason we tend to "fall in love" with others who are proportionate and physically fit. Most of the features people commonly find attractive signify vitality. It shows us they are healthy and worthy of bearing children.

As far as animals, look at penguins as an example. They mate for life and the male of some species goes out and finds the prettiest rock he can for his lady to win her over. That's gotta be animal love, right?
edit on 24-10-2012 by Hawking because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 24 2012 @ 03:11 AM
link   
Love is something that some researchers believe is an inherent trait that all mammals share. There is archeological evidence that the first mammals (dating back 60+ million years ago) survived by having family units, living in underground boroughs, and when their home was under attack, the parents would sacrifice themselves to protect their young.

Either way, if you believe humans are the only creatures capable of love, on this planet, then you haven't gone outside enough.

posted on Oct, 24 2012 @ 03:13 AM
link   
reply to post by Bluesma

Cats & Dogs do indeed have feelings. Jealousy Resentment Embarrassment Compassion & etc.

They are also in many ways far wiser than we.

posted on Oct, 24 2012 @ 03:37 AM
link   
I don't think we're the only ones to have evolved these types of feelings, other species have monogamous partners.

I think love is largely a human invention, it's just an instinct to have a reproduction parter.
edit on 24-10-2012 by SpearMint because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 24 2012 @ 03:58 AM
link   
To me, love, the feeling we develop for other persons,
is just a chemical imbalance of the brain.
"Love" has brought a lot of misery to great many people over the course of history,
so don´t try to tell me it´s something "wonderful", i know better.

posted on Oct, 24 2012 @ 04:09 AM
link   
Well im glad we sorted that one out....and i thought it was something that sprang out of a glass of beer.

Please the chemical imbalance i dont buy that
edit on 24-10-2012 by AthlonSavage because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 24 2012 @ 04:11 AM
link   
My cats love me and they love each other.
A pets love is unconditional.

posted on Oct, 24 2012 @ 04:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by AthlonSavage
Well im glad we sorted that one out....and i thought it was something that sprang out of a glass of beer.

Please the chemical imbalance i dont buy that
edit on 24-10-2012 by AthlonSavage because: (no reason given)

Maybe not an "imbalance" but it is the result of chemical reactions in the brain and body.

It's physiology...but that doesn't make it any less powerful for someone experiencing it. Just means that we know how and why it happens and it's not made of rainbows and puppies and unicorn turds

posted on Oct, 24 2012 @ 05:20 AM
link   
reply to post by AthlonSavage

You don´t have to buy it because i´m not selling. Merely pointed out MY view on the subject.

posted on Oct, 24 2012 @ 05:34 AM
link   
reply to post by Hawking

I don't think "chemical reactions" explain the "how", or "why" of love. Chemical reactions are associative, not causal. Love cannot be explained chemically.
edit on 24-10-2012 by trysts because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 24 2012 @ 05:35 AM
link   
reply to post by trysts

thankyou i agree. I just cant believe its chemicals.

posted on Oct, 24 2012 @ 05:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by AthlonSavage
reply to post by trysts

thankyou i agree. I just cant believe its chemicals.

Yes, love is not a subject which can be explained physiologically. Love represents many emotions, in my view

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join