It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Easter Island statues 'walked' out of quarry

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 25 2012 @ 06:48 AM
link   
I see a lot of people watched the video, but didn't read the provided article which is becoming all to common in all parts of the web.

www.nature.com...

The shape of the team's model statue is not an accurate facsimile of the moai, she says, so any conclusions drawn from it are irrelevant. “What this work has done is disengaged the statues from the archaeological context, and I think any time you do that, you enter, however gingerly, into fantasy and speculation on a level that isn’t scientific," says Van Tilburg, whose own team has demonstrated that moai can be moved horizontally along logs.

Clever idea, however, walking things trip and fall over uneven terrain.

posted on Oct, 25 2012 @ 07:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by Eniii
reply to post by Harte

As i reader of your work i was very dissapointed to see you claim that the romans built the foundation platform at baalbek. It was already there when they got there and they built the tempel on top of it because it was à special place, just like they did in many of their cities around the world. They conquered!!

And you know this because Zecharia Sitchin told you so.

Please note that Sitchin's claim is necessary for his Anunnaki to be able to descend and take off using their 1960's-era rocket technology.

And just like the legends say at many mysterious ancient sites say, the gods built them long long ago.
In other words, nobody knows it been there forever.

Please link us to these "legends" you claim to know about. Note - only actual legends are acceptable, and not legends created by Sitchin and parroted by Hancock, Cremo et al.

Come on man, I expected more from you young man.

I was born in 1956, you old fart.

Harte

posted on Oct, 25 2012 @ 10:33 AM
link   
Comments

Still older than you Harte - you spring chicken

In almost all cases the ahu's are built on the coast and are down hill from the quarry. The ones on NE and E coast tend to be smaller as a drag there would be harder

posted on Oct, 25 2012 @ 10:40 AM
link   
reply to post by Blackmarketeer

That is a super cool post, OP. I was wondering this year how it was done.
Have you read about Khufu's boat stone lifting method,

or the possibility that stones were cut from cliffs and dropped into pre-formed wooden wheels to reach the crane-boat?

Back to easter island though! How freaking cool is that!!! @.@

That comic, "blade of teh immortal", talked about using gravity to one's advantage when wielding a heavy weapon.
These people pulling the stone are using gravity and inertia to their advantage.. just a little push here and nudge there LOL

posted on Oct, 25 2012 @ 01:47 PM
link   
Some people still ignoring the fact that the statues used in the video are a lot smaller than the real Easter Island statues.

I have a small Easter Island statue that i can fit in my pocket, maybe that's how they moved them... stuck them in their pockets and walked.

posted on Oct, 25 2012 @ 04:35 PM
link   
reply to post by liverlad

u think ET made em?

heard of archaeo-acoustics? fractal sound? non linear sound levitation?

walls of jericho leveled by goat horn trumpet?

posted on Oct, 25 2012 @ 09:51 PM
link   
It's an honest discredit of the ingenuity of early cultures to say aliens came down with a helping hand, so funny. That's just dedication. It's too bad that they decimated their entire arboreal environment in the process.

posted on Oct, 26 2012 @ 12:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by KhufuKeplerTriangle
reply to post by liverlad

u think ET made em?

heard of archaeo-acoustics? fractal sound? non linear sound levitation?

walls of jericho leveled by goat horn trumpet?
I was being sarcastic, LOL

I don't think aliens made them.

Archaeo acoustics is a very human art,
but think about Jericho for a moment...

where did they really get that idea?

posted on Oct, 30 2012 @ 10:43 PM
link   

i like the theory
but lets see them walk them statues over rugged terrain and slopes, ditches, etc.
thats a mighty fine smooth flat path in the video!

posted on Oct, 31 2012 @ 02:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by GezinhoKiko

i like the theory
but lets see them walk them statues over rugged terrain and slopes, ditches, etc.
thats a mighty fine smooth flat path in the video!

You're digging a ditch, you son of a b, you're moving easter island statues now...

BTW you don't walk a stone over even ground, you make it a channel DUH lol.

Or even a WHEEL out of wood and stuff! and just ROLL that dangerous thing all the way home.
Mom I squashed the kids.

posted on Nov, 1 2012 @ 04:15 PM
link   
This experiment was carried out on Hawaii, and like Easter Island, it's a volcanic land mass. So as far as terrain goes, it used a suitable environment to simulate Easter Island. The size of the statue is closer to the smaller-sized Moai. From an experimenter's point of view, it should scale up to the larger sized Moai with no problem. Why wouldn't it? It would only require longer ropes and more muscle, but the technique wouldn't change. Remember the theory also takes into account the damaged and lost statues along the route from the quarry, and the oddity of their being pitched forward on their faces, as opposed to lying flat on their backs. This fits the theory of their being upright and 'walked'. In fact if they had been dragged or rolled, you wouldn't expect to see any lost/abandoned statues along the quarry route.

Descriptions of Easter Island show the Moai range in height from 13 feet to 75. Much of the island is relatively flat;

Where the statues were placed on a slope, they could have laid them down and dragged or rolled on logs them down the hillside to their final resting place letting gravity do the work.

Lot's of pictures of Moai The Statues and Rock Art of Rapa Nui – Easter Island

One interesting aspect of the idea of 'walking' the statues, briefly touched on the article, is that the Rapanui may have treated erecting the Moai as a game, as opposed to some cultish worship practice. The authors (Terry Hunt and Carl Lipo) suggest that once the deforestation of the island occurred - which many believe was due to the rats brought with the original settlers - that erecting the statues became a bond and common effort designed to maintain social networks, "networks that allowed what must have been a small, closely related population to stay alive and work cohesively." The Rapanui themselves have stated in their folklore the statues 'walked' into place.

posted on Nov, 2 2012 @ 12:32 PM
link   
I hope that thing is not made from foam and their making a comparison to something made from solid stone and weighing several tons!

Ok so I checked, this model is cast from concrete and weighs 4.4 tons whilst the heaviest of these statues actually weighs 74 ton. So if a 74 ton statue started to tip forwards and fall how many humans would be required to pull it back. Other thing is vibration, in a very large statue if there were and defects in the stone vibration from rocking it would cause it to fracture.
edit on 2-11-2012 by LUXUS because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 2 2012 @ 12:36 PM
link   

Apparently the wheel hasn't been invented on easter island or they have too much time on there hands

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join