It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Easter Island statues 'walked' out of quarry

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 24 2012 @ 03:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Blackmarketeer

Is that pic even really tho?

Wouldn't dirt unsupported at that debt just collapse itself, there's nothing holding it back?

edit* looking at the 2nd page I guess it is. Maybe it's the type of dirt?
edit on 24-10-2012 by 3chainz because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 24 2012 @ 03:02 PM
link   
reply to post by pheniks

they don't. the trail leading from the quarries to the shoreline areas has many examples of failed attempts

posted on Oct, 24 2012 @ 03:07 PM
link   
The statue in that video is tiny compared to the real statues, plus they are walking it on a flat surface.

Until they "walk" a full size replica that weighs the same, over rugged terrain, i am unconvinced.

posted on Oct, 24 2012 @ 03:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by SinMaker
A stone that heavy would leave deep indelible marks in the ground as it walked.

Depends on the firmness of the ground me thinks.

It would fall in my humble opinion.

I'm sure it is.

The ground soil looks very soft based on the digging of the very tall statue site. But a cool find nonetheless OP.

And you don't think that a deep hole like that with almost vertical sides that they don't think need shoring up are an indication of the firmness of the soil?

Keep us thinking.

Or start thinking.
edit on 24-10-2012 by HolgerTheDane2 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 24 2012 @ 04:21 PM
link   
reply to post by syrinx high priest

Ya know, that is a good point. How long did it take to make these things with the available tools? Months? A year?

I know when I work hard on something, (especially something valuable), I try to save it even if I make a mistake. I don't think I would leave it as waste by the wayside? Just my opinion.

Also, they were said to have mystical "powers". They were there to protect the group. Would they leave something to waste that they perceived as magical?

I don't think the experts will ever have all the answers, but this is one of my favorite mysteries.

ETA - another pic of the dirt for those with questions.

i.dailymail.co.uk...
edit on 24-10-2012 by Doodle19815 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 24 2012 @ 04:25 PM
link   
Good thing the real ones were like 80 feet tall. Let's see them do that with a real one not a scaled-down version.

posted on Oct, 24 2012 @ 04:28 PM
link   
reply to post by HolgerTheDane2

Why the condescending post in response to another members curiosity and fair questions?

posted on Oct, 24 2012 @ 04:33 PM
link   
Please walk me through how they figured out how to make these statues move. Is this how they moved the pyramid stones also?

And I would have thought they would have vibrated them like a plate compactor to get these things around.

edit on 24-10-2012 by rickymouse because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 24 2012 @ 04:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Harte

As i reader of your work i was very dissapointed to see you claim that the romans built the foundation platform at baalbek. It was already there when they got there and they built the tempel on top of it because it was à special place, just like they did in many of their cities around the world. They conquered!!
The Romans couldnt even move Egyptian obelisks that were much smaller without cutting them to pieces and this is actually documented as the heaviest objects they moved and you can still read the documents at certain museums/libraries. Nowhere in the world is there information about the Romans (who kept records of every major construction or campaign) have they mentioned ever carving, quarrying or moving the gigantic stones at Baalbek.

And just like the legends say at many mysterious ancient sites say, the gods built them long long ago.
In other words, nobody knows it been there forever.

To see you clam that Romans put it there is like hearing that the Spanish build everything in Cusco Peru because they put some stupid churches on top of their buildings. Come on man, I expected more from you young man.

posted on Oct, 24 2012 @ 05:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by Doodle19815
reply to post by syrinx high priest

Ya know, that is a good point. How long did it take to make these things with the available tools? Months? A year?

I know when I work hard on something, (especially something valuable), I try to save it even if I make a mistake. I don't think I would leave it as waste by the wayside? Just my opinion.

Also, they were said to have mystical "powers". They were there to protect the group. Would they leave something to waste that they perceived as magical?

I don't think the experts will ever have all the answers, but this is one of my favorite mysteries.

ETA - another pic of the dirt for those with questions.

i.dailymail.co.uk...
edit on 24-10-2012 by Doodle19815 because: (no reason given)

check out the NG article, it was from a few months ago.

cool NG article

posted on Oct, 24 2012 @ 05:19 PM
link   
reply to post by Doodle19815

Yeah thats what I'm thinking.. Those ones which go deep into the ground wouldn't of been that easy to move across the Island.

posted on Oct, 24 2012 @ 05:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by HolgerTheDane2

Depends on the firmness of the ground me thinks.

Rock hard in most places, ie lava flows, but there is a belt of erode soil around the base of quarry

I would suggest that they may have used two methods, dragging on slopes and then walking on flat ground and for the really big ones rolling and or dragging. Rapa Nui is remarkably flat in a number of places. I use to bike to the quarry at Rano Raraku from Mataveri

----------------------------------------------------------------

reply to post by Doodle19815

----------------------------------------------------------------

Yeah thats what I'm thinking.. Those ones which go deep into the ground wouldn't of been that easy to move across the Island.

This eroded soil is fairly new and occurred after the loss of the tree cover. ie the erosion you see occured (obviously) after the Moai were set in place
edit on 24/10/12 by Hanslune because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 24 2012 @ 06:01 PM
link   
Just more evidence to prove the point I always like to make, which is that ancient peoples were much more ingenious than many think today, and they did not need extraterrestrial technology or advanced technology by our standards to accomplish the great things they did. People have shown similar things in the past, effectively proving that the ancients used nothing more than their ingenuity.

posted on Oct, 24 2012 @ 07:29 PM
link   

That works on a totally flat surface, how would that work going up and down hills??

posted on Oct, 24 2012 @ 09:46 PM
link   

Very funny.

Had to swipe that flag away though, due to it's misleading content.

Great gag though, really entertaining. I want that music too.

posted on Oct, 25 2012 @ 12:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by davcwebb
Mystery solved; at least on flat land. Not sure how this method would work on the type topography that exists on Easter Island where the other statues are located.

Far from solved. I'm not at all convinced by that video, not until I see them do the same thing with full size statues and over rugged terrain and up hills. Not possible. Nice demonstration though with all the conditioned variables, such as flat ground and objects a fraction of the size of the originals.

posted on Oct, 25 2012 @ 01:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by H1ght3chHippie
Here's the "debunking" video.

Basically it says the NG Theory is bullpoop because this technique only works on flat terrein, and most of the statues are in elevated and rocky terrain, making it impossible to use the shown technique.

Yes, because it's 100% impossible to create a "trail". You have to go with what nature gave you. I once heard someone talk about building roads over rivers, I had to laugh, we all know roads don't float.

Whether this is how it happened or not, the method is feasible, and the same ingenuity that came up with the method may solve what you see as "problems" of that method.
edit on 25-10-2012 by OccamsRazor04 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 25 2012 @ 05:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by crawdad1914
reply to post by HolgerTheDane2

Why the condescending post in response to another members curiosity and fair questions?

You are right - I apologize.

posted on Oct, 25 2012 @ 05:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by Blackmarketeer
This was done with a relatively unskilled crew, without anyone leading cadence, and probably none too used to the work. Give them a year or two and having walked a few more of these along the path, and they'll be walking as many Moai into place as the original Polynesian islanders.

So which ones are the aliens? As we all know the aliens did it!

posted on Oct, 25 2012 @ 06:24 AM
link   
reply to post by Eniii

Good post fella, I agree, something as monumental as moving these blocks is something that the romans who loved to glorify and propagandaize everything they did this would be spoke about forever by the romans, even to this day.

Besides didn't it take the best part of 3 emperors reign to move that obelisk to Italy? They weren't megalithic builders, they didn't need too, they had cement for crying out loud.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join