It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Easter Island statues 'walked' out of quarry

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+9 more 
posted on Oct, 23 2012 @ 09:12 PM
link   
Easter Island statues 'walked' out of quarry
(nature.com)

"Elemental, My Dear Watson - the solution is trivial once revealed." -- Sir Arthur Conan Doyle.

This was done with a relatively unskilled crew, without anyone leading cadence, and probably none too used to the work. Give them a year or two and having walked a few more of these along the path, and they'll be walking as many Moai into place as the original Polynesian islanders.

posted on Oct, 23 2012 @ 09:22 PM
link   
Wow, amazing, looks a little meticulous. great work on part of the people who came up with this idea, thanks for the post i enjoy this stuff greatly.... makes you wonder how they moved the bigger moai though, they can get as large as about triple that size.... interesting non the less

posted on Oct, 23 2012 @ 09:34 PM
link   
www.abovetopsecret.com...

I love this idea. Hopefully we can see some fresh ideas. I do wonder how the really big ones got there though.

posted on Oct, 23 2012 @ 09:35 PM
link   
Its an interesting theory. The replica they are moving looks a little too small in comparison to the full head and body of an Easter Island Statues. Still, I guess this at least shows a way this could have been done.

posted on Oct, 23 2012 @ 09:42 PM
link   
Exceptional!

I cannot see why bigger would be harder. Consider the principals of the lever. The ground is the fulcrum point, the taller the statue, the larger the lever. Only real difference is that the people on the ropes would need to move further to achieve the same angle. Yes, you may need more people but, so what!

P

posted on Oct, 23 2012 @ 09:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Blackmarketeer

Awesome!!! however...

The concept gets less and less practical as the statue gets taller while keeping the same base...Some of the easter island statues are very tall with a small base....

posted on Oct, 23 2012 @ 10:08 PM
link   
The same principle would apply even for the larger heads - but there are some methods that would make it easier from a mechanical aspect. For instance:

The larger heads, some of which have extensive portions buried, could have been walked in the same manner, BUT along a 'ditch' or trench, which would serve two major purposes: 1 - to place the handlers at a higher elevation relative to the head, and thus in a better mechanical position for walking it back and forth. 2. In case they should lose control of the head, it could only fall so far.

Excuse my poor PS skills, but hopefully you can see my point for walking it along in a trench. The smaller heads this wouldn't be needed, but for those really tall ones - most of which AFAIK do have buried portions - this could make it much easier than walking it fully upright on a level surface.
edit on 23-10-2012 by Blackmarketeer because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 23 2012 @ 10:13 PM
link   
I think i remember seeing a thread about this earlier this year.

posted on Oct, 23 2012 @ 10:20 PM
link   
For the newer members that may be interested.....

www.abovetopsecret.com...

These thing are huge!

posted on Oct, 24 2012 @ 07:06 AM
link   
IMO, they never "walked" out of the quarry.

I have evidence that they danced the Samba out of the quarry.

Harte

posted on Oct, 24 2012 @ 07:20 AM
link   
reply to post by Blackmarketeer

now thats a picaso

good idea though but would take some digging

posted on Oct, 24 2012 @ 07:55 AM
link   
I remember a TV program about Easter Island that aired about ten years ago. The researchers said that the native islanders claimed that the monuments "walked" out of the quarries and down to the beach. They thought it was ignorant superstition, but I immediately knew what they were talking about. I use the rocking-walking motion to move large heavy objects all the time. It is so obvious what they were talking about.

posted on Oct, 24 2012 @ 09:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by spartan47
Wow, amazing, looks a little meticulous. great work on part of the people who came up with this idea, thanks for the post i enjoy this stuff greatly.... makes you wonder how they moved the bigger moai though, they can get as large as about triple that size.... interesting non the less

How about triple the people!

posted on Oct, 24 2012 @ 09:31 AM
link   
and then they fall, how the heck are they getting it up again

posted on Oct, 24 2012 @ 09:37 AM
link   
Here's the "debunking" video.

Basically it says the NG Theory is bullpoop because this technique only works on flat terrein, and most of the statues are in elevated and rocky terrain, making it impossible to use the shown technique.

posted on Oct, 24 2012 @ 09:38 AM
link   
Very fascinating & 'elementary' solutions~

Simplistic, ingenious and very manageable method moving Moai & accords with local oral traditions~

One question...how did they affix the very large 'topknots' - Pukao

∞LOVE
mayallsoulsbefree∞

posted on Oct, 24 2012 @ 09:59 AM
link   
reply to post by pheniks

They stated a number of these did fall, and were left by the wayside along the trail from the quarries to their placement along the coasts. It was in how they were left (pitched forward) that helped corroborate the idea they were 'walked', as opposed to dragged or placed on rollers.

posted on Oct, 24 2012 @ 10:38 AM
link   
So, how did the islanders end up using up all the trees?

Harte

posted on Oct, 24 2012 @ 10:48 AM
link   
reply to post by H1ght3chHippie

Cool video exposing the foolishness of "National Geographic" and "Science" attempt to explain away the enigma of Easter Island in a seemingly deceptive manner once looked at critically. Take one of the smaller examples of the heads, build a flat road on flat terrain, and then walk the "statue" a few hundred feet. Not many flat areas on Easter Island.

Jo Anne Van Tilburg states herself in the video you posted the natives were "fully capable of raising statues upright on flat ground" What flat ground is she talking about?

Explanations like this remind me of "Nova" a few years ago building a tiny little Pyramid with comparatively speaking tiny little blocks as a way to prove the Great pyramid was built in a conventional manner.

Or "Debunking Ancient Aliens", showing an Egyptian relief, of workers moving a stone half the size of the stones at Baalbek in Lebanon, on flat and level ground as a way to explain away the movement and placement of the Far larger stones. Stones that were moved from the quarry uphill, a mile over rocky ground with no evidence for a road ever being built there in order to slide the stones on.

No, I dont think every mystery of our past is attributable to Aliens, but maybe Science should just admit they have no clue as to how some of these megolithic statues and blocks were moved. Why explain away the unexplainable in such a ridiculous manner?
edit on 24-10-2012 by crawdad1914 because: clarification

posted on Oct, 24 2012 @ 10:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by crawdad1914
Or "Debunking Ancient Aliens", showing an Egyptian relief, of workers moving a stone half the size of the stones at Baalbek in Lebanon, on flat and level ground as a way to explain away the movement and placement of the Far larger stones. Stones that were moved from the quarry uphill, a mile over rocky ground with no evidence for a road ever being built there in order to slide the stones on.

The Romans placed those stones at Baalbek, and at around the same time that other Romans were placing other, similar-sized stones in Jerusalem.

The Roman method is quite well known. Perhaps you should look into it, as you seem to think that, simply because you are unaware of a thing, then everyone must also be unaware of that thing.

I assure you, this is not the case.

Harte

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join