It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Gay marriage.so what?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 24 2012 @ 11:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by Annee

Since Legal Marriage is a Civil Right - - - religion/religious belief should have no input.

There should be no input whatsoever, from government, companies or any other organization.

I'm getting tired of others telling me how I should think. AND enacting laws that demand how I should think.

posted on Oct, 24 2012 @ 11:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by TDawgRex

Since Legal Marriage is a Civil Right - - - religion/religious belief should have no input.

There should be no input whatsoever, from government, companies or any other organization.

I'm getting tired of others telling me how I should think. AND enacting laws that demand how I should think.

Whether government should be involved or not is a different discussion.

As of TODAY - - RIGHT NOW! Legal Marriage is government.

Gay marriage (actually Marriage Equality is the correct terminology) is about Equal Civil Rights - - - not about what you or anyone else thinks marriage should be.

posted on Oct, 24 2012 @ 11:44 AM
link   
reply to post by Annee

Just a scenario.

Why should I, as your employer pay for family healthcare? Wouldn't it make more sense to pay you a wage that allows you to cover that yourself? After all, it is your decision to get insurance or not.

Then there is Gov't and their taxes that are associated with marriage.

We've talked before and I'm sure you know that I am not a fan of marriage, in any form.

I am a fan of love however.

It has been statistically proven that marriage is the number one cause of divorce.

edit on 24-10-2012 by TDawgRex because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 24 2012 @ 12:13 PM
link   

reply to post by Annee

Just a scenario.

Why should I, as your employer pay for family healthcare? Wouldn't it make more sense to pay you a wage that allows you to cover that yourself? After all, it is your decision to get insurance or not.

I've had health issues since birth - - which was finally discovered at age 50 to be caused from an odd birth defect. My mom was a polio victim in the '51 epidemic. My daughter is ADD.

You are asking the wrong person. Go ask someone who was lucky enough to be born healthy and not at risk of losing everything because of exorbitant medical costs.

It has been statistically proven that marriage is the number one cause of divorce.

Yeah I see the wink

It is what it is. And what that "IS" Right Now is Legal Government Marriage.

The issue is Equal Civil Rights. Not a debate on what marriage is.

posted on Oct, 24 2012 @ 12:34 PM
link   
reply to post by Annee

I'm going to go clinical here, these are not my views.

I think that people, both gay and hetro are arguing, for arguing sake. But both have points as well from a civil law side of things.

If these laws were passed that allowed gay marriage and all the benefits attached, then who is to say that a person that has fallen in love with their dog cannot be denied those same benefits. Vets are pretty expensive.

I know..Gross, right?

Laws and marriage are intertwined. We have to work to separate them.

Love should not be legislated. A persons morals and ethics will either ostracize them from the community or endear them.

posted on Oct, 24 2012 @ 12:46 PM
link   

If these laws were passed that allowed gay marriage and all the benefits attached, then who is to say that a person that has fallen in love with their dog cannot be denied those same benefits. Vets are pretty expensive.

Let's not get stupid - OK?

We are talking about Legal Consenting Adults.

posted on Oct, 24 2012 @ 12:53 PM
link   
reply to post by Annee

It's not stupid...there are people who actually believe along those lines, Yes, it was a nasty example, but I guarentee you that there will be people who push that agenda as well.

www.msnbc.msn.com...

I wish things were black and white, but where peoples emotions are involved, it is never so.

As to the article I linked....eeeewwww!

posted on Oct, 24 2012 @ 03:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by kingkool
It should be illegal for one reason, it has opened the door for gays to adopt and raise children. Children should not be exposed to that kind of perversion. If you think a heterosexual child's psyche will not be damaged by the fact that his two dad's are in the other room buggering each other, then think again. God forbid he walks in on them.

When I was fourteen I walked in on my mom and her boyfriend and I still get the willies occasionally from that one experience. Heterosexual or Homosexual... no kid wants to see their parents do the deed.
edit on 10/24/2012 by MonkeyFishFrog because: Wrong word

posted on Oct, 24 2012 @ 03:21 PM
link   

So you are upset because of some laws that passively infringe on your ability to "think" (I read: say) what you want but are perfectly happy with laws that actively discriminate against a group of people... just as long as you're not affected right?

posted on Oct, 24 2012 @ 04:45 PM
link   

reply to post by Annee

It's not stupid...there are people who actually believe along those lines, Yes, it was a nasty example, but I guarentee you that there will be people who push that agenda as well.

It is stupid.

Try this again "LEGAL CONSENT" - from BOTH parties. Legal Government Marriage.

As far as non-legal government marriage - - - you can do whatever you want.

If you want to have a marriage ceremony and marry your dog - - go for it. No one is stopping you.

posted on Oct, 25 2012 @ 05:53 PM
link   
What two other people decide to do with their relationship has ZERO effect on my relationship/marriage. If they want to be married and they are consenting adults, let them be married. It has no effect on me at all. Why would I object to it?

Why would anyone object to it??? I never understood that and I probably never will. How does two men getting married affect you and your relationship? How does two women getting married affect you and your relationship? It doesn't. So what does it matter? It's not like by banning their marriage you prevent them from having a relationship. They're still going to be together, just not in a legal marriage, so why do you want to prevent them from being legal???

It really makes no sense at all. If two men want to get married, let them get married. Heck, they'll probably do a better job at it than a lot of the "straight" couples do these days.... so, is it jealousy? Are you afraid they'll do a better job at it??

posted on Oct, 26 2012 @ 07:27 AM
link   
reply to post by BrieBird

No Honey! The noise is in your head!

Get over yourself, go find yourself a husband, breed and be happy!

posted on Oct, 26 2012 @ 09:05 AM
link   
reply to post by wiser3

Your cute, I have four children and have been happily married for 15 years. My brother is gay and also happily married this was more of an exploratory post to hear peoples opinions. I was arguing that day with my bro that no one cares if gay people get married anymore but, my brother disagrees and says that there is still major opposition. From the looks of the responses I would say it has become a non-issue no one cares; get married already!

posted on Oct, 26 2012 @ 12:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by BrieBird
reply to post by wiser3

Your cute, I have four children and have been happily married for 15 years. My brother is gay and also happily married this was more of an exploratory post to hear peoples opinions. I was arguing that day with my bro that no one cares if gay people get married anymore but, my brother disagrees and says that there is still major opposition. From the looks of the responses I would say it has become a non-issue no one cares; get married already!

I don't get your point.

I am 65 - mother of 2 daughters - grandmother to 3 Married (2nd) for 22 years. Many gay co-workers.

If gay marriage was a non-issue it would already be a Federal Civil Right - - just as hetero marriage is. It isn't.

Are you aware of NOM (National Organization of Marriage)? An organization created for one purpose only - - STOP GAY MARRIAGE.

Are you aware Fundamental Christians believe 100% that homosexuality is part of the Armageddon? That allowing them to even exist is an abomination of God - - will bring God's wrath on the Earth and any one who supports them?

It may be a non-issue to some - - - but it is hardly a non-issue in the whole of society - acceptance - and equal rights.

posted on Oct, 26 2012 @ 12:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Annee

Yes I am aware but, I think they are a dying minority. Intelligence will prevail. My oldest son is 15 and he doesn't see the big deal, they are the future afterall. Silent infiltration, get married in the states you can, show that its nothing to be afraid, spread the word through action and soon we will all look back and think... really there was a time when people actually fought over this crap. Its not an issue so lets stop making it an issue.

posted on Oct, 26 2012 @ 12:37 PM
link   

I don't get the whole gay marriage debate. Why? Marriage to me is a religious vow, meant to sutain and hold together a family. It just doesn't make sense. Is it for health insurance? Not that long ago Homosexuality was considered a mental disorder. This is crazy.

By your definition, atheists can't marry either.

Marriage is a secular social interest. Religion doesn't own marriage.

posted on Oct, 26 2012 @ 12:43 PM
link   
reply to post by windword

I am sorry new to the creation of threads it was more a rant from people that are against Gay marriage not my own ie. This is crazy. More of an opening up to a discussion of the argument of who cares if your gay get married don't even make it into a conversation anymore demand it, go head and do it and by sheer numbers and successes it will become the norm. Which I think it already is anyway?

posted on Oct, 26 2012 @ 12:56 PM
link   

reply to post by Annee

Yes I am aware but, I think they are a dying minority. Intelligence will prevail. My oldest son is 15 and he doesn't see the big deal, they are the future afterall. Silent infiltration, get married in the states you can, show that its nothing to be afraid, spread the word through action and soon we will all look back and think... really there was a time when people actually fought over this crap. Its not an issue so lets stop making it an issue.

Well - - I do agree Intelligence will prevail. Latest Pew Forum Research Shows Number of Godless Continues to Rise atheists.org...

But - what about the inequality/equality of Right Now?

I'm sure some gays do move to states they can legally marry - - - but they still aren't Federally Legal - - and not eligible for the 1000+ Rights and Benefits.

I'm sorry - - but I do not agree with you that it is a non-issue.

Will we some day look back? Yes we will. I was a senior in high school when the Civil Rights Amendment was past. I remember it very well - - - and I want to remember me as part of the fight for Marriage Equality.

posted on Oct, 26 2012 @ 01:39 PM
link   
reply to post by Annee

My brother was married in Illinois but, lives here in Michigan where it is illegal but works for a great company that provides for partnership benefits. They have a wonderful house, dogs, adoptive child and go about there business as any heterosexual couple would. The more it is seen for what it really is two people expressing there love the less frieghtened people are. Change is difficult but, essential; my idea is to make it a non-issue to show just how normal it is. And whenever someone makes it an issue like some of the other posters on this thread don't respond because they are the crazy ones not the two people who are in love making a life with one another. So equality in marriage will be the norm but the less noise made over it and the more examples of success the easier it is to implement. Change the dialogue and you change the story. So yeah what about gay marriage? lets just talk about marriage.
edit on 26-10-2012 by BrieBird because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 26 2012 @ 02:17 PM
link   

reply to post by Annee

My brother was married in Illinois but, lives here in Michigan where it is illegal but works for a great company that provides for partnership benefits. They have a wonderful house, dogs, adoptive child and go about there business as any heterosexual couple would. The more it is seen for what it really is two people expressing there love the less frieghtened people are. Change is difficult but, essential; my idea is to make it a non-issue to show just how normal it is.

I'm not debating or arguing with that. That is definitely the goal.

But we are not there yet. We still have a long way to go.

Your brother's marriage is not recognized by this country on a Federal level. Until there is full Marriage Equality - - he won't be.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

First we have to get rid of DOMA. Speaker of the House John Boehner has already spent 1.5 million of tax payer money fighting to keep it.

If Romney becomes president he wants to re-instate Don't Ask Don't Tell.

NOM (National Organization of Marriage) is now listed as an Official Hate Group.

National Organization for Marriage Continues to Spread Lies About Gays

By Mark Potok and Evelyn Schlatter

About the worst thing said about gay men, an allegation that is regularly dragged out by certain religious-right organizations, is that they molest children at rates vastly higher than their heterosexual counterparts. It is as devastating a charge as one can make in a country where jailed pedophiles, known in prison parlance as “short eyes,” are frequently murdered by self-righteous fellow inmates. www.splcenter.org...

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It is not as simple as just let people get used to it until they accept it.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join