Experts Change the Colour of GOLD

page: 1

join

posted on Oct, 23 2012 @ 08:56 PM
link   

Experts change the colour of gold

www.independent.ie...
cdn.independent.ie...

British scientists have managed to upstage King Midas by changing the colour of gold.

While the mythical king turned everything he touched to gold, the researchers transformed the precious metal by altering the way it absorbs or reflects light.

So gold no longer has to be golden - it can be red or green, or a multitude of other hues.

The technique involves embossing tiny raised or indented patterns onto the metal's surface.

It can also be applied to other metals, such as silver and aluminium, and opens the way to colouring metal without coatings or chemically treatments.

Applications may include anything from manufacturing jewellery to making banknotes and documents harder to forge, say the scientists.

"The colours of the objects we see all around us are determined by the way light interacts with those objects. For instance, an object that reflects red light but absorbs other wavelengths will appear red to the human eye.

"This is the fundamental principle we have exploited in this project. By embossing metals with patterns only around 100 nanometres across, we've found that we can control which wavelengths of light the metal absorbs and which it reflects."

I think this is pretty cool idea. Because the colour gold is probably one of the most attractive metals to look at, the big value that it does bring to the table are it's conductive properties to electricity.

I think if thieves were to steal some gold and walked by some reds metal bars, they would have no clue it to be gold and would search elsewhere (maybe). This is a pretty cool science

posted on Oct, 23 2012 @ 09:10 PM
link   
Hey, that's really neat. Who woulda thought you could change the appearance of Gold like that. Why....it almost has a little Tungsten look, doesn't it...

I can't help but think though, seriously, that looks much closer to what pig metal they use for coins now looks like after going through an Ultra Sonic bath. If I throw a handful of silver quarters in and one normal quarter got mixed in...sure enough, looks real funny. Kinda like that tint brings from the original bar appearance. Odd eh?

posted on Oct, 23 2012 @ 09:14 PM
link   
I guess we could hope that these hypothetical criminals aren't educated and don't have the capacity to read and learn to better themselves from criminals to super villains. Because an article like this then would be taunting the would be criminal that they are too uneducated to find a colored gold.

HA HA we colored it good luck finding it.

posted on Oct, 23 2012 @ 09:54 PM
link   
reply to post by CarpeLibertas

Some of those bars look like the color brass. So the next gold deposit will show up as brass gold bars deposited at a brass bar deposit bank

No thieves steal brass as far as I know
edit on 23-10-2012 by Skywatcher2011 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 23 2012 @ 11:12 PM
link   
Wow, looks very cool. The red looks very nice. Wonder if they could turn gold purple or black, my favorite colors.

posted on Oct, 24 2012 @ 12:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by Skywatcher2011

Experts change the colour of gold

www.independent.ie...
cdn.independent.ie...

British scientists have managed to upstage King Midas by changing the colour of gold.

While the mythical king turned everything he touched to gold, the researchers transformed the precious metal by altering the way it absorbs or reflects light.

So gold no longer has to be golden - it can be red or green, or a multitude of other hues.

The technique involves embossing tiny raised or indented patterns onto the metal's surface.

It can also be applied to other metals, such as silver and aluminium, and opens the way to colouring metal without coatings or chemically treatments.

Applications may include anything from manufacturing jewellery to making banknotes and documents harder to forge, say the scientists.

"The colours of the objects we see all around us are determined by the way light interacts with those objects. For instance, an object that reflects red light but absorbs other wavelengths will appear red to the human eye.

"This is the fundamental principle we have exploited in this project. By embossing metals with patterns only around 100 nanometres across, we've found that we can control which wavelengths of light the metal absorbs and which it reflects."

I think this is pretty cool idea. Because the colour gold is probably one of the most attractive metals to look at, the big value that it does bring to the table are it's conductive properties to electricity.

I think if thieves were to steal some gold and walked by some reds metal bars, they would have no clue it to be gold and would search elsewhere (maybe). This is a pretty cool science

Not to spoil the party, but this has been done for a very long time, over a thousand years. You'd be amazed at what was used to get certain colors in stained glass windows.
geology.com...

In fact, they were applying nano-technology without even knowing it. Nano-particles reflect light differently, hence Gold becomes red at the nano scale.

top topics

join