It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Who Came Up With The Phrase, "False Flag" ?!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 23 2012 @ 08:32 PM
link   
Anytime I hear this statement, "It was a false flag attack", I cringe. Why does it matter? Any action is going to have a reaction no matter who or what started it, right? It is so easy to blame others for what transpires. Where did this come from. I direct your attention to the following headlines:

www.davidicke.com...

London Olympic False Flag Attack - recently published headlines NowPublic

Continue reading at NowPublic.com: London Olympic False Flag Attack - recently published headlines NowPublic |

NowPublic Resources www.nowpublic.com...
www.nowpublic.com...

The Turkish Syrian Conflict: False Flag Attack to Trigger War?

www.chinaksws.com...

Gulf of Tonkin False Flag Attack Used to Bring America Into War With Viet Nam, etc.

I could give 100's, but you get the gist by now.

Might be just a tad confusing the way I created this thread, my apologies.

Calling something a "false flag" just seems to be an easy way to justify the reason for either side to be involved regardless of who started it do we ever really know for sure? There are motives behind every single war and the conspiracy theorists always end up saying TPTB are behind it. They may be. Will we ever know? Unless, they admit it, which is highly doubtful, all we would get is what the media is told to feed us.

Really, what does it come down to? Free will and how each one of us react to these actions. I prefer to accept that certain things are inevitable regardless and I will have to be prepared to deal with them as they happen. I implore all of you to do the same thing. Prepare yourself spiritually, do not live in fear, let Love guide you. If you have an opportunity to change something do it, if you do not have control accept it and do the best you can to be the best soul you can be. Protect those around you that cannot fend for themselves and help them to be more spiritual in their daily lives. Whether it is a "false flag" or not!

Sincerely,

Ascension211
edit on 23-10-2012 by ascension211 because: boo boo!

posted on Oct, 23 2012 @ 08:34 PM
link   
I know. I get so tired of seeing that term on here to be honest.

OMG that was just a false flag statement. My left hand typed it.

posted on Oct, 23 2012 @ 08:35 PM
link   
reply to post by ascension211

Google: Gladio.

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Oct, 23 2012 @ 08:36 PM
link   
Its exactly what it sounds like, an action taken under a different flag than the actual party responsible.

So if country A wanted to attack Country B, and make it appear as Country C did it, that would be a false flag.

Any variation of the above works.
edit on 23-10-2012 by benrl because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 23 2012 @ 08:39 PM
link   

From wikipedia:False flag (also known as black flag) operations are covert operations designed to deceive in such a way that the operations appear as though they are being carried out by other entities. The name is derived from the military concept of flying false colors; that is: flying the flag of a country other than one’s own. False flag operations are not limited to war.

Guess it came from pirate days.

posted on Oct, 23 2012 @ 08:52 PM
link   

It's clear that there are a lot of people, here and elsewhere, who don't grasp the concept. However, it often does matter who carries out an operation under false colors. I'll leave the rest to your own imagination....

posted on Oct, 23 2012 @ 08:54 PM
link   
Please re-read edited post.

posted on Oct, 23 2012 @ 09:04 PM
link   
This ties in well, while on the topic ...

Fifth Column Movement : The United Nations, Your Country, and Defending Your Rights
SpartanKingLeonidas

First, we have to not only define a fifth column movement, but as well look at many different sorts and or types of those particularly nasty organizational nightmares.

Quote from : Wikipedia : Fifth Column

A fifth column is a group of people who clandestinely undermine a larger group, such as a nation, from within, to the aid of an external enemy.

The concept, as any concept dealing with enemies, is sometimes associated with the potential for, or paranoia of, "the enemy within," rather than its actuality.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

and this ...

A proxy war or proxy warfare is a war that results when opposing powers use third parties as substitutes for fighting each other directly. While powers have sometimes used governments as proxies, violent non-state actors, mercenaries, or other third parties are more often employed. It is hoped that these groups can strike an opponent without leading to full-scale war.

Proxy wars have also been fought alongside full-scale conflicts. It is almost impossible to have a pure proxy war, as the groups fighting for a certain nation usually have their own interests, which can diverge from those of their patron.

Typically proxy wars function best during cold wars, as they become a necessity in conducting armed conflict between at least two belligerents while continuing cold warfare.

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Oct, 23 2012 @ 10:08 PM
link   
False Flag attacks started back in the naval days of the early 1900s (I believe) in which a ship would hoist the flag of another country in order to get close enough to the enemy boat they wanted to attack, and then when they were allowed to get close enough, they would lower the false flag, raise the real one, and start bombing the unsuspecting ship.

That is the origin of the term "false flag".

posted on Oct, 24 2012 @ 12:34 PM
link   
The question itself was actually rhetorical, read the thread I wrote:

Anytime I hear this statement, "It was a false flag attack", I cringe. Why does it matter? Any action is going to have a reaction no matter who or what started it, right? It is so easy to blame others for what transpires.

Calling something a "false flag" just seems to be an easy way to justify the reason for either side to be involved regardless of who started it do we ever really know for sure?

I really don't care where it originated, it was a "tongue in cheek" statement/question on my part.

Protect those around you that cannot fend for themselves and help them to be more spiritual in their daily lives. Whether it is a "false flag" or not!

posted on Oct, 25 2012 @ 07:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by ApokalypsisRising
I know. I get so tired of seeing that term on here to be honest.

OMG that was just a false flag statement. My left hand typed it.

I feel the very same way. It's like people don't even understand it's meaning anymore. If it's a news article even, people will scream out the term. Just stop people, seriously.

posted on Oct, 25 2012 @ 07:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by FissionSurplus
False Flag attacks started back in the naval days of the early 1900s (I believe) in which a ship would hoist the flag of another country in order to get close enough to the enemy boat they wanted to attack, and then when they were allowed to get close enough, they would lower the false flag, raise the real one, and start bombing the unsuspecting ship.

That is the origin of the term "false flag".

If this is the case, then it existed long before this maritime event. Pirates used this all the time. Whose to say it wasn't used the same year the flag system of recognition was even conceived?
edit on 25-10-2012 by SoulVisions because: spelling

posted on Oct, 26 2012 @ 08:15 PM
link   
I know where the phrase originates from. I don't see the need to give this excuse for any action involving war or responses to hostile actions. Doesn't really matter who started it or why.

posted on Oct, 27 2012 @ 11:55 AM
link   
The term "false flag" originated in the 1700's during the golden age of sail. Captains engaged in privateering sometimes did not have a faster boat than their prey. So they would raise enemy colors to lure them in.

The term continued into the 1800's and was given a second wind during World War 1 and World War 2 when surface raiders began using the same technique.

Who first coined the phrase is, as far as I know, lost to history.

posted on Oct, 27 2012 @ 12:41 PM
link   
not happening

posted on Oct, 27 2012 @ 01:44 PM
link   
reply to post by TheNobody

welcome to ATS. You seem new. replies like this generally receive no attention. What's not happening? Please, elaborate? Much love!

Ascension211

posted on Nov, 9 2012 @ 02:36 AM
link   
It's actually an older term.

I believe it's simply from a ship flying another ship (or countries flag) so that country is blamed for the action.
It is over used in speculation here on this site, but false flag attacks are common war and attack strategies and are very real. It's not even debateable that false flags are common things. It's just a name so that the nature of a certain type of an event is easier to understand and quicker to relay.

top topics

join