Assad grants criminal amnesty as new violence flares

page: 1

join

posted on Oct, 23 2012 @ 08:09 PM
link   
He grants amnesty for every crime committed up until today but commit a criminal act tomorrow and you're in big trouble mister! There is of course a catch, if you're considered a terrorist you are not granted amnesty. The terrorist consists of the rebel forces, who at this point I believe are mostly terrorists just as we saw in Libya. Bottom line, if the West supports them you can bet that something fishy is going on. But back to Assad and amnesty, I guess if you're not a rebel fighter but par took in criminal activities due to the chaos of the fighting you are free to go. This is in response to the constant violence that is engulfing Syria.

Assad grants criminal amnesty as new violence flares

www.france24.com...

Syrian President Bashar al-Assad issued an amnesty on Tuesday for all crimes committed before today except for the crimes of "terrorists" – the regime's term for anti-regime rebels – as fresh violence flared across the country.

President Bashar al-Assad issued an amnesty for all crimes committed in Syria "up until today" with the notable exception of "terrorist crimes", state television said on Tuesday.

Assad, who has been fighting a 19-month-long revolt against his regime, "decreed a general amnesty for crimes committed before October 23" except for those carried out by "terrorists" – the regime's term for anti-regime rebel fighters.

Deadly clashes in Syria showed no signs of easing despite UN plans to assemble a peacekeeping force in case a truce proposed this week by special envoy Lakhdar Brahimi is allowed to take hold.

Conspirators, what say you? Did the West use their terrorist networks to incite violence in Syria?

Syrian Girl, where art thou?

posted on Oct, 23 2012 @ 08:14 PM
link   
I am surprised how well Assad has maintained his grasp on power regardless of how many third party entities try to impose influence on the country.

However, does this mean he will open the gates of Syrian prisoners and quickly push guns into their hands to march on the opposition? Convienant move if so.

edit on 23-10-2012 by BaneOfQuo because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 23 2012 @ 08:23 PM
link   
reply to post by BaneOfQuo

Open the flood gates of the prisons and arm the criminals? Probably not since the deadline ends at midnight Syrian time. All crimes are forgiven up until today but commit a crime tomorrow and you'll have to pay for it if caught. His motive for doing this is quell violence, not to incite more.

posted on Oct, 23 2012 @ 08:37 PM
link   

The decree applies only to criminals who surrender to the authorities and not those on the run, the report said. It was not immediately clear if the amnesty includes those in prison.

The decree replaces death penalty with life sentence of hard labor or long imprisonment sentence according to the crime.

It also replaces life sentence of hard labor with 20 years imprisonment with hard labor, and it replaces the life imprisonment sentence with 20 years imprisonment.

The decree grants amnesty for the whole of life and permanent sentence for people with incurable diseases and the whole permanent sentence for people who completed seventy years of age by the issuance of the decree.

It also includes the whole life sentence for those who completed seventy years of age providing that the crime had been committed before they were sixty.

Crimes of smuggling weapons and drug trafficking are excluded from the provision of this decree.

The decree's terms don't include the fugitives from justice unless they turn themselves in within 30 days for internal flight.

www.tehrantimes.com...

posted on Oct, 23 2012 @ 08:42 PM
link   
reply to post by boncho

Nice find

Well, looky there, prisoners get reduced sentences
. Ain't that something, I just assumed they were also exempt from amnesty. I guess I'd be happy with 20 years of hard labor vs life with hard labor, or death

posted on Oct, 23 2012 @ 09:19 PM
link   
More news from Syria,

Syrian army shelling kills 20 at Aleppo bakery

english.ahram.org.eg...

Syrian government forces killed at least 20 people on Tuesday when they shelled a bakery in a neighbourhood under rebel control in the contested northern city of Aleppo, opposition activists said.

The dead included women and children, they said. Video footage, which could not be immediately verified, showed decapitated bodies amid scattered bread loaves.

Majd Nour, an opposition campaigner in Aleppo, said two shells hit the bakery, located in the eastern Hananu neighbourhood, in the early afternoon. Free Syrian Army fighters were guarding it at the time, he said. "The frontline is about two kilometres away from the bakery, at Karm al-Jabal. There has been a lull since the army shelled Hananu overnight," Nour said.

"It was quiet all day and suddenly Assad's forces fired three shells. The first landed near the bakery and the other two hit it," he added.

Aleppo is Syria's biggest city and commercial hub. Rebels trying to overthrow President Bashar al-Assad launched an offensive to capture it last month and street fighting has taken place on a daily basis since then.

UN provides food to 1.5 million in Syria in September

english.ahram.org.eg...

The UN's World Food Programme (WFP) on Tuesday said it had sent food aid to some 1.5 million people inside Syria in September, up from 850,000 a month earlier.

"The situation is worsening," Daly Belgasmi, WFP director for the region, told reporters in Geneva.

Last December, the UN agency had initially aimed to provide food aid to 50,000 Syrians inside the country, but that target has progressively been scaled up to reach 850,000 in August and 1.5 million in September as the crisis pitting President Bashar al-Assad's regime against rebel fighters has deepened, he said.

The situation "is becoming more and more challenging. People are internally displaced once, twice, three or four times, moving from one neighbourhood to another looking for refuge," he explained, adding: "And I'm afraid that the winter will not be helpful."
edit on 23-10-2012 by Swills because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 23 2012 @ 11:03 PM
link   
reply to post by Swills

I haven't been following this issue too closely, so please don't be offended if I show my ignorance of he topic. In my mind, when I red this, I replaced the presidnt's name as Obama and the country as US and tried to image that scenario. Interesting. I like the way this it's challenges me to think outside the box

posted on Oct, 24 2012 @ 12:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by BaneOfQuo
I am surprised how well Assad has maintained his grasp on power regardless of how many third party entities try to impose influence on the country.

Russia and Iran are just there to support him not influence....

posted on Oct, 24 2012 @ 02:58 AM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

Russia and Iran are just there to support him not influence....

I could say the same thing for the Islamist, Jihadist fighters in whom Qatar and Saudi Arabia are both supporting them.

posted on Oct, 24 2012 @ 01:21 PM
link   
reply to post by Swills

pretty smart move there

he got this out before the rebels could attempt a similar stunt
now the "rebels" can only up the ante
to their own detriment

and busting or being busted out of prison is a crime itself.

join