It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Increasing Wireless Network Speed By 1000% By Replacing Packets With Algebra

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 23 2012 @ 07:48 PM
link   
second time in two weeks we have had a leap in tech increasing speeds,

this time TCP (transport control protocal) improvements using the same forward looking forward correcting (FEC) as my thread on the opus codec but implemented in the TCP layer.

the way it works,

when transmitting pakets over wifi a single packet loss requires re transmition of packets following the lost packet,
this signals the "congestion" scale back function and bit rates are reduced accordingly,

in the new schema,
as with the opus codec the forward facing error correction can "account" for the lost packet "on the fly" without re transmition of all the following packets,

this means that the "scale back" of bitrate is not a reaction to single packet loss,

how it does this without reducing the rate and retransmitting the packet sequence in order,

well algebra is used to encode the "clumped" packet data,
and if a packet is lost, rather than re send the clump,
the algebra is trasformed to complete the missing packet.

ON THE FLY

If part of the message is lost, the receiver can solve the equation to derive the missing data. The process of solving the equations is simple and linear, meaning it doesn't require much processing on behalf of the router/smartphone/laptop. In testing, the coded TCP resulted in some dramatic improvements. MIT found that campus WiFi (2% packet loss) jumped from 1Mbps to 16Mbps. On a fast-moving train (5% packet loss), the connection speed jumped from 0.5Mbps to 13.5Mbps. Moving forward, coded TCP is expected to have huge repercussions on the performance of LTE and WiFi networks — and the technology has already been commercially licensed to several hardware makers.

hardware.slashdot.org...

so why is this so cool?

perceived congestion "symptoms" wont lower through put (wireless always losses packets)
and is perceived as line conjestion causing slower bit rates,

and the over head to "solve" the algebra is low.
meaning that even mobiles can use this new TCP format.

explination from slashdot member rabtech (under main article)

1. A lost packet means a collision or network congestion, therefore the proper response to a lost packet notification is to slow down the transmit rate

2. When packet #2 is lost, even though the client has perfectly cromulent copies of packets 3-1094932, they must *all* be thrown away and the entire stream is restarted. There is no facility to go back and retransmit just the missing packet - the ACK can't say "I got packets 1,3-1094932, please just re-send #2".

This new scheme reconstructs packet #2 in this scenario by using the FEC data in the other packets. This allows the link to tolerate a certain % of packet loss without requiring any re-transmits, thus all those packets from 3 upwards don't have to be retransmitted. It also greatly reduces latency as reconstructing packet #2 is faster (due to the computationally efficient FEC algorithm) than requesting a retransmit. This also prevents the TCP link from scaling back its transmit rate, further improving performance.

this is a slightly different approach than the opus codec uses but is at a different layer,
imagine if this becomes the TCP standard?

imagine the speed increase (throughput) and latency decrease (ping)

very elegant solution to freeing up bandwidth,
while reducing mulitipule sends of the same packets

the future (if adapted) could see TCP at many times the efficiency we expect today,

this could prove a short term answer for limited bandwidth customers with lossey/noisy lines,
or very low band widths, that have very poor through put

and guess what,

IT USES CURRENTLY INSTALLED LINES and just requires adoption as a standard,
and software updates.

for all those people on slow connections, with very little chance of near future upgrades,
the internet could possibly double in speed in the near future,
without extra cost to the customers

gamers pre-pair for low ping and high download rates
on your old crusty connection

By providing new ways for mobile devices to solve for missing data, the technology not only eliminates this wasteful process but also can seamlessly weave data streams from Wi-Fi and LTE—a leap forward from other approaches that toggle back and forth. "Any IP network will benefit from this technology," says Sheau Ng, vice president for research and development at NBC Universal.

www.technologyreview.com...

if you use wireless your going to love this if its rolled out as net wide standard,
cable will see similar improvements as well but not to the degree of wireless,
although major improvements can be expected

xploder

edit on 23-10-2012 by XPLodER because: (no reason given)

edit on 23-10-2012 by XPLodER because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 23 2012 @ 08:19 PM
link   
"when transmitting pakets over wifi a single packet loss requires re transmition of packets following the lost packet"

I think this is false, as is rabtech's second point (his first point is right on though). I could be wrong, but I don't think so. TCP supports out of order packet arrival, which means that a lost packet arriving after failing to arrive the first time/being retransmitted is handled similarly to one arriving later/out of order (subsequent packets don't have to be resent). Remember, routers merely forward packets and don't manage state, any requests for retransmission come from the destination computer.

That said, this is still huge for any end-to-end routes with wireless along the way. Speedtest.net shows twice as fast results for my devices when in the living room vs. in the bedroom... this kind of tech may eliminate that difference. This will be huge for wireless networks under average conditions (I am not familiar with packet loss subject/the specific technologies in the mobile space like LTE but hopefully there too).

Looking forward to being corrected if I'm being rusty and am totally wrong here.
edit on 10/23/2012 by AkumaStreak because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 23 2012 @ 09:09 PM
link   
wowwww cool stuf..but i a litle bit confuse..tutorial video please??

Nice realy i want to...

posted on Oct, 24 2012 @ 03:26 AM
link   
Ya know.. I told my router a hundred times to pay attention in Math Class. No wonder my connection is so slow.

I think I'll give it detention and make it study Philosophy.

join