It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Some Parents Make Me Want To Scream!!!

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 24 2012 @ 05:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by spaceg0at

women on welfare should have to take birth control or face debtors prison for weakening the nation.

wanna have a baby?.... get a job

And men who don't pay child support should be castrated....

...just sayin

posted on Oct, 24 2012 @ 05:09 PM
link   
reply to post by mblahnikluver

I do know that its not true that if you get off welfare you cannot ever apply for it again. I dont know why they told her that because you can apply any time you want to.

posted on Oct, 24 2012 @ 05:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by karen61057

Just to show the other side of the coin here. My middle son has a minor mental disability and he works but he has a simple job that does not pay much. He gets food stamps. He eats very poorly as he cannot make the small amount he gets go very far. He buys all of his clothes at thrift stores and keeps things for years and years because he cannot afford to replace his stuff. He has a small savings account which he uses to buy Christmas presents for the rest of our family. He's not living high on the hog, he scrapes and scrounges. But I am glad for the little amount that he does get and he is greatful for every cent.

And he is exactly who should be getting assistance: someone with a legitimate need who's also doing their best to make it on their own.

posted on Oct, 24 2012 @ 05:16 PM
link   
And if we reverse Roe V Wade there will be more of them. Just remember that.

posted on Oct, 24 2012 @ 05:20 PM
link   
reply to post by smyleegrl

Hey I'll be on Oak Island in two weeks. We can meet and have lunch.

posted on Oct, 24 2012 @ 05:22 PM
link   

This is why I laugh a sad laugh when people say teachers are overpaid, or have it easy. My mom was a teacher (HAPPILY retired), and her sister (my aunt obviously) was a teacher and still is a principal. They loved teaching, but then the parents seemed to get worse and worse over time. Even in suburban school districts, many of the parents just plain don't support their children's education. Kids are sent to school with no effort by the parents to even teach them how to read. The head start I had made school easy for me, from K-MBA. My first day of kindergarten (in 1979), I was one of 5 kids out of about 75 (4 classes) who could read - and i'd been doing it for awhile. I was one of the youngest kids in class.

Seriously...parents...education is your responsibility too, and for God's sake, teach your kids how to read!

posted on Oct, 24 2012 @ 05:23 PM
link   
reply to post by Dimithae

The Govt needs to stay out of womens wombs.

posted on Oct, 24 2012 @ 05:27 PM
link   
reply to post by dogstar23

This is an anonymous quote that gets passed around at school a lot. Gives us highly paid teachers a chuckle. www.addictinginfo.org..." target="_blank" class="postlink">Source

Teachers’ hefty salaries are driving up taxes, and they only work 9 or10 months a year! It’s time we put things in perspective and pay them for what they do – babysit!

We can get that for less than minimum wage.

That’s right. Let’s give them $3.00 an hour and only the hours they worked; not any of that silly planning time, or any time they spend before or after school. That would be $19.50 a day (7:45 to 3:00 PM with 45 min. off for lunch and plan– that equals 6 1/2 hours).

Each parent should pay $19.50 a day for these teachers to baby-sit their children. Now how many students do they teach in a day…maybe 30? So that’s $19.50 x 30 = $585.00 a day.

However, remember they only work 180 days a year!!! I am not going to pay them for any vacations.

LET’S SEE….

That’s $585 X 180= $105,300 per year. (Hold on! My calculator needs new batteries).

What about those special education teachers and the ones with Master’s degrees? Well, we could pay them minimum wage ($7.75), and just to be fair, round it off to $8.00 an hour. That would be $8 X 6 1/2 hours X 30 children X 180 days = $280,800 per year.

Wait a minute — there’s something wrong here! There sure is!

The average teacher’s salary (nation wide) is $50,000. $50,000/180 days = $277.77/per day/30 students=$9.25/6.5 hours = $1.42 per hour per student–a very inexpensive baby-sitter and they even EDUCATE your kids!) WHAT A DEAL!!!!

posted on Oct, 24 2012 @ 05:28 PM
link   
reply to post by coop039

While it may be true that some who cheat the system live better on welfare the truth is that they dont live better most of the time. Poor is poor and poor with a handout is still poor. Its not like they can get up and say hey I think I'll go on a weekend trip or buy season passes for the local amusement park. They dont get dressed up and go out to dinner at a nice resturant. They dont get vacations. There is a lot missing from their lives. Basic is basic and most folks today want better than basic.

posted on Oct, 24 2012 @ 05:31 PM
link   
reply to post by PurpleChiten

Castrating is locking the barn after the horse has been stolen. They need to be arrested and locked up if they dont pay period. They dont want to provide for the life they created they dont get the liberty to live theirs either.

posted on Oct, 24 2012 @ 05:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by smyleegrl

Just to show the other side of the coin here. My middle son has a minor mental disability and he works but he has a simple job that does not pay much. He gets food stamps. He eats very poorly as he cannot make the small amount he gets go very far. He buys all of his clothes at thrift stores and keeps things for years and years because he cannot afford to replace his stuff. He has a small savings account which he uses to buy Christmas presents for the rest of our family. He's not living high on the hog, he scrapes and scrounges. But I am glad for the little amount that he does get and he is greatful for every cent.

And he is exactly who should be getting assistance: someone with a legitimate need who's also doing their best to make it on their own.
Still I am sad for him.

posted on Oct, 24 2012 @ 06:10 PM
link   

Castrating is locking the barn after the horse has been stolen. They need to be arrested and locked up if they dont pay period. They dont want to provide for the life they created they dont get the liberty to live theirs either.

Agreed they should be locked up, but, of course, they'll get out at some point in time. May as well prevent a repeat offense.

posted on Oct, 24 2012 @ 10:24 PM
link   
I've ghosted ATS a lot, but I made an account because I really wanted to weigh in on this post.

I lived in Dakar, Senegal for five months, traveled some, and had friends who spent several months living in villages. One of my friends told me that he was frustrated by the parents in the village where he lived because they would have many children, feed the boys two or three meals a day, and then only feed the girls dinner daily, and breakfast every other day. These same parents would walk around with iPhones and show them off, saying, "Maangi cool" (I'm cool). This is in RURAL senegal. Some of these places still don't even have running water. None of these people were receiving government assistance of any kind; and while they were relatively poor, they still make status symbols (many children, an iphone) a priority over something as basic as food for those children. Likewise, most girls in villages aren't educated; it is mostly the sons who get sent to school. It's true that we're operating under different cultural values, but I think this story is not unlike the one described by the OP--the iPhone and the SUV are both status symbols, and beer and lotto tickets sound like a form of addiction.

My main point is that I don't think you can blame government handouts for why this is happening--this would still be happening without government handouts. It happens all over the world. I think that the community in which the kids described by the OP are growing up value lotto tickets/iphones/beer over education, and that this has origins in the community culture, not in government handouts.

posted on Oct, 24 2012 @ 10:30 PM
link   

They won't wait for another handout, they'll just find the "quickest and easiest" way to get what they want and it'll involve violence.

One word.......KATRINA

posted on Oct, 24 2012 @ 11:35 PM
link   
Get out of that system then? You're working for a poor, probably "ghetto" area, and if you'll excuse my stereotyping, 99.9% of people in those areas will fit your description and never rise up to be better than that because their culture teaches them to have lots of children, take as much as you can get, and for the most part think only for oneself. There is very little you can do for these kids at this point, IMHO. The culture must first change from within before they'll listen to reason.

Schools in even lower middle class but decent areas may be a better bet if you don't want to rack up your stress levels. But I understand if your drive is to help kids of lower income, as they do dealry need it most. Just know that your efforts will mostly be in vain.

posted on Oct, 24 2012 @ 11:51 PM
link   
Firstly, Thanks for being a teacher. That is a tough job. I have many friends that are teachers and for most of them it is an uphill battle. I empathize. I have serious thoughts on how teachers' salaries should more resemble those of NBA, NFL, MLB players and vice versa.

Are the sins of the father visited upon the son 1000 fold? Sure, if he chooses the same lowly path. People are responsible for their own actions. Though, I also know a guy that was in debt from the day he was born because his mother signed a mortgage to his name as soon as she had his SSN.

For many of us it would seem a simple matter of pride, or dignity rather. The incentive would be having some.

Some folks have too much or too little.

Maybe try to instill in them some individuality? You don't have to spell it out or break it down for them, just shine a light on it.

Generational? wow. My grandfather would exhume his own corpse to put me in the grave if I were to pursue such a hollow existence.

The cycle can be broken. It's like any other form of abuse. Just stop it. That is what we are discussing right? Abuse, plain and simple, on multiple fronts. Neglect is abuse. The victim mentality is abusive. Facilitation can be abusive. It is a choice that we cannot make for them. If this hit-the-feeder-bar lifestyle is being learned then it is being taught. Obviously. Therefore it can be unlearned. It can be abandoned and intolerated.

I wouldn't say that humanity is inherently lazy, but given the choice we seem to take the easy way.

The government is to blame inasmuch as an enabler that provides for a junky. So therefore the finger is now squarely pointed at all of us.

You wouldn't pay the kid's medical bills if mom & dad were slapping him around right? Just playing devil's advocate here, but I see little to no difference. Most teachers are pretty broke. $400 is $400. In the not-too-distant past that was the going rate for an ounce of gold.

The grade school in my neighborhood offers rewards for students that are able to donate supplies... they get a small treat like candy or a day pass on wearing street clothes instead of the school uniform. Either way those students standout and set example. The kindergartners get a piece of penny candy if they can make it through the day without any conduct incidents.

If its all about prestige, then make it prestigious. Kids are totally into bribery. If they say money is the most important thing in life, then have them name things that money can't buy.

Sounds like your area has prime military recruitment potential... Which would be far more preferable than four generations on the government teat. For many of these kids, joining up might seem like the only way out. Coincidence? Nah. It's not just some areas, it is standard operational procedure.

I remember being in school. Sometimes there were kids that didn't get to go on the field trip. It happens and it is sad, but hardly childhood's end.

I still remember my first grade teacher... the very kind and mildly crazy lady that taught me how to read a clock... so I'd know how much longer until school was out...

Good luck with your students.

posted on Oct, 25 2012 @ 12:07 AM
link   
I wanted to ask, how does food stamps work? In Canada we have Welfare Vouchers. They are for a set amount (tax exempt) and on the Voucher they specify what the need is. (Food, Baby Supplies, ect.) They all say No tobacco, alcohol or pharmaceutical. And a cashier (or owner of business) has the right to remove items that do not fit into what is specified. (Example: Magazines)

Are food stamps very different. Are they essentially money that can be spent anywhere?

posted on Oct, 25 2012 @ 12:17 AM
link   

Please don't do that. All that will happen is that you will lose your job and be replaced by someone who does not care. News travels fast and the parents are now using you. You have been labelled as a soft touch, you are being abused. I have two suggestions for you.

The best solution if it is possible, start applying for teachers jobs in the private sector! Teach children who want to be taught. It is not possible to fight this type of parental upbringing, the parents will always win in the end. I have worked in the system, I have tried to fight the system. In the end I made a conscious decision to use my talents where they would do good.

If the above solution is not possible then look at your class, student by student and put your effort into those students that have a chance, those whose parents do give a crap. Stop being a soft touch. Toughen up and accept the realities of your environment.

If you don't make one of these choices then you will burn up and destroy yourself like a falling meteor. Then you miss out on the opportunity to help those that can be helped! That would be a sad day indeed.

I commend your spirit, you are a bright flame in a dark and dismal place. Lighten the path for those that want to escape, leave the others to their fate, you can take a horse to water but you cannot force it to drink.

Be a beacon of light.

P

posted on Oct, 25 2012 @ 02:24 AM
link   
I have never known, nor do I know now, anyone on a government benefit that owns a nice car, let alone any fancy gadgets. Maybe I just know proper people and not social grifters.

But I love how every one of these threads has teams of people who know dozens of people that rort the system, scoff their faces with lobster and caviar, while driving hummers and txting on their iphone.

It's so out of control, we must eliminate poverty at once! Or they'll all have mansions and yachts and personal jets before we know it!

posted on Oct, 25 2012 @ 03:19 AM
link   
reply to post by restlessinMT

Everyone does need a helping hand in their time of need. However their time of need should not last a lifetime.

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7 >>

join