It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Some Parents Make Me Want To Scream!!!

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 23 2012 @ 10:55 PM
link   
reply to post by smyleegrl

Ma'am? I have a solution, albiet, one you may not like.

Hold a press conference. Be the Voice that finally says, "enough". Create a website, track, monitor, follow-up on the decay of parenting and the ennui towards education.

Call your local television station, your local newspaper. Get charged up! Get fired up! It won't make you popular, it might make people angry, hell, it will make people angry.

But it won't stop until someone stands up and says "enough".

Don't be political. Don't take "sides". This is a social issue, a generational issue, not a partisan one.

Stand up. Be the change you want to see. Deny ignorance. (pithy quotes aside) and DO something.

Kindest regards, and with all the honest respect I can muster,

beez

posted on Oct, 23 2012 @ 11:45 PM
link   

smyleegrl, First let me say that I respect you a lot here at ATS Sister
The impression that I always got from reading your posts here is that you're a realist. I don't bother nor do I care much if you and I might have a few political disagreements, where I may even be in error about that assumption.

Anyway, I think that it's great that you help those children out who don't have parents that care enough about their education, or in some cases, their over all well being. Broken up families through divorce are just one example of what happens to many of these children. I know, cause I am a living example of it.

Yes though, I truly believe that Teachers like yourself make the difference. Unfortunately, There is a new generation of self centered, self righteous and spoiled brat generation X idiots (other generations as well, not just them) who have the unfortunate ability to create and bring young Souls into this chaotic world while they themselves continue to live out their selfish lives and desires that they lived prior to having the priviledge of having children.

You seem like a very strong Women and good person. I have alot of respect for Teachers like yourself. Best Wishes and good luck with your struggle my friend, which is an honorable one to say the least.
~$heopleNation
edit on 23-10-2012 by SheopleNation because: TypO

posted on Oct, 24 2012 @ 01:00 AM
link   
Its really simple, you let the kid keep failing till he's a piece of crap like his parents, someone gota clean them toilets and greet people at Walmart ^^. You can't save em all, so save the ones who actually care for the kids. I know its a suck thing to say, but if the parent don't care about their own kid why should you? If you don't feel that way, then don't cry about it, just keep on doing it.

Either that call dss/child services and explain to them the kid is xyz old and can't freaking READ!!!!!!!!!
Keeping your child illiterate IM pretty sure is a form of abuse.
edit on 24-10-2012 by ~widowmaker~ because: s

posted on Oct, 24 2012 @ 01:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by beezzer

Hold a press conference. Be the Voice that finally says, "enough". Create a website, track, monitor, follow-up on the decay of parenting and the ennui towards education.

Call your local television station, your local newspaper. Get charged up! Get fired up! It won't make you popular, it might make people angry, hell, it will make people angry.

Don't be political. Don't take "sides". This is a social issue, a generational issue, not a partisan one.

Stand up. Be the change you want to see. Deny ignorance. (pithy quotes aside) and DO something.

beez

I like this! F**K IT! Teachers should not be the only people acting responsible in a child's life! Just look at the damn TV - what kind of crap do you think those children see day in and day out? "Honey Boo Boo" - luckily we haven't sunken to this new low over here, but the complete und utter nonsense of this SH*T is even known across OCEANS AND CONTINENTS!

It is an outrage! What do you want, IDIOCRACY in just 2 generations?! To me, it seems that this target isn't too high to reach... It's a shame, losing so many kids to such a crap (in the tv).

posted on Oct, 24 2012 @ 01:15 AM
link   
reply to post by ManFromEurope

careful the swear nazi will delete your post for circumventing the rules or some bs

posted on Oct, 24 2012 @ 01:17 AM
link   
IMO
These Kids are a lost cause. Any attempt to change them will fail. They are a product of a world most People know nothing about. It is a world of drugs & whoring & deceit & thievery.
The environment in which these Kids grow up damns them from the day of their conception. Do you think for a moment that these Crack-Whore Mothers abstain from anything during pregnency? Do you think that a one of the Beer Guzzling Dealer/Pimp Fathers even wants to admit to Paternity?
The world these "Children" grow up in is a worthless Sub-Culture of Humanity that they are doomed to become a part of and perpetuate. The only effectual solution is to put an end to this chain of Human waste.
How? I have said it before and I will say it again - Negative Eugenics. (IE: Selective NON-Breeding)
By what means? Mandatory sterilization.
Who decides who will be sterilized? Those who continue to wallow in their debauchery & self destructive parasitic behavior will bring this action upon themselves.

Harsh? Yes.
Cold? Yes.
Ethical? Is it ethical to allow a non-productive group to drain the resources of the industrious?
Moral? Is it Moral to allow those with Principles to be debased by the slothful?
Humane? Yes. Pain & Suffering is being bestowed upon no one.
A necessary evil? Anyone have a better idea?

If so after removing your rose colored glasses tell me with a straight face what that idea is.

posted on Oct, 24 2012 @ 01:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by ~widowmaker~

careful the swear nazi will delete your post for circumventing the rules or some bs

It just drives me insane, that such a stupid way of life is actively led by the parents with full insight from their side that their children will learn to life exactly like their parents (aka "role models").

What a shame. What a waste. I am lost at words, so I have to use vituperations.

posted on Oct, 24 2012 @ 02:08 AM
link   

It gets even worse than that, these are the young ones we are supposed to rely on when we need to cross a street? That's why, toss em to the wolves, these kids (most, not all) will be the ones most likely to jump and old man/woman than help them across a street because "easy prey" kinda like the "slap happy" kids in England no? Running around smacking old people, punching them, knocking them down, disgusting. That's why with parents like that, let the kid die, socially, morally, physically, financially.

posted on Oct, 24 2012 @ 02:27 AM
link   

I commend you on being a humanitarian amongst self minded scum.

It's not the childs fault their parents are wash outs. I think you're doing the right thing, and no matter what don't give up on the children. Although I may not agree with you paying for all sorts of generous things for these families, but your heart is in the right place.

Even if you only help one child, is it not worth it?

posted on Oct, 24 2012 @ 02:32 AM
link   

After reading your OP and the following post, many of which I agreed with I can only say...

I would probably do the same. Take care of the kids to the best of my ability. Thank God I am not a teacher as I would be living out of the back of a van or in jail for beating down some parent. At least the latter has three hots and a cot.

I tried to take care of my Joes when I was in the Army and often was left penniless without a word of thanks. But I did it time and time again, because there were words of thanks and those people stay in touch with me to this day.

Ya can't give up. I would go with what Beez said. Think it through and stand up. If there were a legal way of calling out those crappy parents, do so. Shame them into becoming responsible.

You are responsible for their childrens education, not their lifestyles.
edit on 24-10-2012 by TDawgRex because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 24 2012 @ 02:36 AM
link   
It's very easy to say take away the hand outs and problem solved. That's nowhere near true. The entitlement mentality doesn't just go away with a snap of your fingers. You stop sending out the checks and there will be riots and taking from those who do work for what they have. This has been increasingly worse through generations and it won't be fixed right away. It's a messed up situation and I see no easy solutions. It's not like these people are gonna be like oops you caught us, guess we'll have to go get a job tomorrow! Nope. You want to see civil unrest? Stop the entitlement programs and see how fast the SHTF.

We need a paradigm shift... It's the only way things will ever change. How to make that shift? I haven't got a clue... But everyone who is so quick to avdvocate a complete cut off is just asking for trouble.

posted on Oct, 24 2012 @ 03:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by SilverStarGazer
You stop sending out the checks and there will be riots and taking from those who do work for what they have.

No there won't.

These people are used to taking what is given to them. They're not used to fighting for things they want or need. And unless you think filling out forms to get welfare is fighting for what they want, they are not going to stand up and fight to get it back. They're just going to sit back and wait for someone else to give them something else. That's what they do.

Statements like yours just make people scared of implementing the only change that will ever solve this problem. All the money spent on giving people welfare? Funnel it to the schools instead. It's such a simple and pragmatic solution though, it will never happen.

There's nothing simple and pragmatic about American society. It's screwed.
edit on 24-10-2012 by DeepImpactX because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 24 2012 @ 05:10 AM
link   
I hear your pain. I deal with the same problems at the high school level. I have students who have no ambition or motivation because their parents have been a poor role model their entire life. I've talked with some of these students about their goals after graduation, and some of them just want to continue living on welfare because that's the only life they know. There are parents who fight to have their kids labeled as having "learning disabilities" just so they can get government subsidies, even though there is absolutely nothing wrong with their child.

There are times where I feel like teachers are fighting a losing battle. The outlook for future generations and a highly educated work force seems very bleak. School officials and politicians care nothing about why children are performing poorly. They direct all their energy blaming teachers and pointing to failure rate statistics, instead of looking at what is causing a generation of children who are becoming apathetic and unmotivated towards learning.

The easiest way to lay blame on America's education system is by blaming teachers. They will continue to ignore the major cause of poorly performing schools by turning a blind eye to the ever increasing number of children who are living in hellish conditions in poor performing school districts. A lot of inner-city youth come from families with a history of criminal activity, illiterate parents, drug use, a life of welfare, gang involvement, physical & verbal abuse, alcoholism and single parent households. This doesn't take into account the number of children who are homeless or living in crime riddled neighborhoods. These children are carrying a lot of baggage and are a direct result of poor and neglectful parenting. These kids have simply no good parental role models, and are a reflection of their parents inability to instill the value of hard work, education, morals, respect and goals in their children's lives.

Instead of raising the bar, school officials have created policies of social promotion, and reducing levels of achievement to accommodate the ever increasing apathy of this student population. Many colleges across the nation are also lowering the bar. Teachers and professors who refuse to lower the bar, are being held accountable for their high failure rates. Their jobs are being threatened, when in actuality, these are the teachers who are holding those students accountable for their poor performance and lack of participation. These are the teachers who care about their students future success.

Politicians have no idea what goes on in a classroom. They govern and set policies without spending a week observing the classroom environment and student behavior.

posted on Oct, 24 2012 @ 05:34 AM
link   
reply to post by DeepImpactX

No, unfortunately, they're the people who rob your house while you're at work. They're the people who sleep all day and stay up all night. They're the people who make the meth labs in their child's bedroom. They're the people who shoplift. They're the people who cut the copper pipes from the church air conditioner to sell the scrap metal. They do this to buy the pills on the street because even with their handouts, they don't have enough to buy the pills because the street prices have skyrocketed now that they're addicted. They're the people who buy guns but don't register them then use those guns to shoot each other or innocent people in public while they're stoned out on the pills they bought.

They won't wait for another handout, they'll just find the "quickest and easiest" way to get what they want and it'll involve violence.

As much as I'd like to just stop the handouts and force them to work and be productive, it won't happen, at least not quickly. The crime rate will first skyrocket, the death rate will sky rocket and the small amount of structued society we have will break down. I guess it's going to have to be something extremely subtle. It's going to take an entire change in the paradigm and mindset of a generation... of several generations. If it isn't done soon, "Idiocracy" is a real possibility.

posted on Oct, 24 2012 @ 05:44 AM
link   
reply to post by WeRpeons

I agree completely!

Look at numerous threads here and across the internet, you always hear people complaining about the schools, about the teachers, about how they've been treated so horribly. It's not the schools and teachers doing that to them, it's them doing it to the schools. We are forced to work in a hostile environment plain and simple. Of course we go back day after day because we think we can make a difference, and we do make a difference in many, many cases and are possibly the only reason we've not gone deeper into the depths of chaos than we would have by now if not for stepping in.

It's easy to feel "defeated" in these days, but we have to keep pushing forward. At some point, something's going to give and we're either going to get things back on track or society is going to break down. I'm in it till the bitter end and going to keep making as much of a difference as I can, just like all the other teachers out there. We're the "warriors" of today's age, we're the ones who won't give up, won't back down and we're on the front lines.

Teachers: we're not in it for the income, we're in it for the outcome.

posted on Oct, 24 2012 @ 05:53 AM
link   

First off, I'd like to commend you on your obvious dedication to helping every child you can in what has to be one of the most frustrating professions there is. Even so, you must realize as others have posted, that you are fighting against a long standing degradation of society as a whole. These children are simply innocent to all that has gone on before them and is still going on around them. It's obviously no fault of theirs that they are next generation welfare cases, not enough jobs, no money for college, and in trying to keep up with the Jones their parents turn indifferent. It's an endless and repeating cycle.
But that is not why I chose to post here.
I wanted to let you know, that one teacher CAN make a difference in a child's life.
My father past away when I was quite young, and my mother worked long hours. No, we weren't on welfare , but money was tight. I was a latch key kid for many years. Come home after school, make my own dinner, go to sleep. Mom came home from work just before midnight.
There was one teacher in my school, she was the librarian, who made a huge impact on my life.
I was never one for making friends in school. I suppose that set the tone for who Iam today. I would spend recess in the library. First just reading books. Then helping with library duties. Before I knew it, I was helping with office duties, and she was asking my opinions on what books to order in. She became quite a mentor to me. I was only 12 years old. To this day I speak highly of her, and all the books she happily read to us as her favorites now adorn my book shelf for my children.
It's disheartening to realize you are given the task of trying to teach so many young people and you know you can't reach out to all of them. But being a teacher..you know.. YOU KNOW, which ones need you the most to succeed. That's all you can do. Just be the teacher that somebody remembers fondly, and you have done your job.
-AD
edit on 24-10-2012 by AccessDenied because: spelling

posted on Oct, 24 2012 @ 06:50 AM
link   
Please don't give up! You sound like a GREAT teacher.

I'm just going to lay this out there. There is a serious problem with the younger generation and "The world owes me attitude."
Now, I'm not saying they all have it, but from my experience many do.
My own damn son, 23, whom was raised being taught that if you want something, you have to earn it, even moving out his senior year, still graduated and had a good job, has all of a sudden decided I owe him. LOL
And with this generation, having children, what scares me is, who are they going to put first? Themselves or the children?
I see young girls all the time in the stores, paying with the bridge card, and texting while waiting in line.

Trust me, I am not against help. I had to use it myself many years ago. I just really think you should have to work part time at least. And maybe a parenting class wouldn't hurt.

posted on Oct, 24 2012 @ 06:51 AM
link   

I worked in home health care as Resp therapist and have been in all kinds of home. One thing that always stood out is that most of the poor in really bad neighborhods had flat screens, multiple video game consoles, smart phones. Oh all the movie channels (always found that odd) wonder if the get free or discounted tv services. They drove nice cars. Didnt work a lick were ignorant and uneducated.

Yes we have a problem . the poor children dont really have a chance. If your brought up in a welfare house then you will learn how to get all the financial assistance that you can. I dont even know how to do any of it. christ Ive been unemployed since 2006 should have just kept collecting UEI but stopped thinking I couldnt get anymore

posted on Oct, 24 2012 @ 07:27 AM
link   
I hear you and it literally disgusts me that our government pays out this type of assistance. I can't even get people to come in for interviews or when I do hire, out of 5 people, maybe 1 shows up. This is because they are not applying for a job, they have to demonstrate they applied for "welfare to work", but nobody follows up with whoever they put down as applied with. It makes me absolutely sick things have gotten this way!

posted on Oct, 24 2012 @ 07:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by beezzer

beez

Beez, this is very good advice. There's just one problem....if I do this, I'll most likely lose my job. And I need my job (at least until I write a hit novel, haha).

I've rocked the boat for the past two years. We have a new principal, who started last year, and I've stood up to some of the more "crazy" schemes. I've also been very vocal about the problems with social promotion, mandated testing, etc.

I've written the newspaper with an anonymous editorial one time...everyone guessed it was me. They said they could tell by the writing.

So how to bring pressure without losing my livelihood?

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join