It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Informant: NYPD paid me to 'bait' Muslims

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 23 2012 @ 02:28 PM
link   

NEW YORK (AP) — A paid informant for the New York Police Department's intelligence unit was under orders to "bait" Muslims into saying inflammatory things as he lived a double life, snapping pictures inside mosques and collecting the names of innocent people attending study groups on Islam, he told The Associated Press.

Shamiur Rahman, a 19-year-old American of Bangladeshi descent who has now denounced his work as an informant, said police told him to embrace a strategy called "create and capture." He said it involved creating a conversation about jihad or terrorism, then capturing the response to send to the NYPD. For his work, he earned as much as $1,000 a month and goodwill from the police after a string of minor marijuana arrests.

This is something that we have all theorized and while it was obvious to some, many simply will not admit that our government is actively involved in entrapment.

The war of terror is a multi-billion dollar a year industry and has allowed government to give itself broad new powers (though unconstitutional and illegal) from "stop and frisk" to warrantless spying to citizen assassinations.

Reminds me of this story. Some of their entrapment is not as obvious, this wasnt one of those times:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

In the Liberty City Seven case, it seemed fairly obvious that the defendants were hoping to con the FBI informant out of $50k and had no intentions of committing any acts of "terrorism". They werent even Moslems. Apparently they regularly held Bible study and some of them wore the Star of David...

In the Newburgh Four case, the judge actually slammed the FBI saying:

"Only the government could have made a terrorist out of Mr Cromitie, a man whose buffoonery is positively Shakespearean in its scope," she said in court. She added: "I believe beyond a shadow of a doubt that there would have been no crime here except the government instigated it, planned it and brought it to fruition."

edit on 23-10-2012 by gladtobehere because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 23 2012 @ 02:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by gladtobehere

NEW YORK (AP) — A paid informant for the New York Police Department's intelligence unit was under orders to "bait" Muslims into saying inflammatory things as he lived a double life, snapping pictures inside mosques and collecting the names of innocent people attending study groups on Islam, he told The Associated Press.

Shamiur Rahman, a 19-year-old American of Bangladeshi descent who has now denounced his work as an informant, said police told him to embrace a strategy called "create and capture." He said it involved creating a conversation about jihad or terrorism, then capturing the response to send to the NYPD. For his work, he earned as much as $1,000 a month and goodwill from the police after a string of minor marijuana arrests.

This is something that we have all theorized.

Yes, as if this is something we don't already know.

Any other link besides Yahoo?

posted on Oct, 23 2012 @ 02:34 PM
link   
Wow my self respect and sense of common decency would be worth A LOT! more then $1000/month.

20K/month and i might bat an eye lash, just for a moment ofcourse

Presuming this account is accurate, it certainly gives oneself a feeling of unease.

"Hey we dont like those people doing stuff, they are not doing anything illegal, so lets make it seem like they are"

Despicable

edit on 23-10-2012 by MDDoxs because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 23 2012 @ 02:36 PM
link   
Ok so what? he just baited people into saying how they truly felt? Imagine what the world would be like if people didn't hide behind masks and they always just told the truth of how things the world really was? at least to them?

Lying, white lies, not telling how one truly feels only creates anger and resentment which always resorts to violence. I see nothing wrong with this, he was an informant trying to find out who were potential terrorists. Better than having our own American version of Abu Hamza or should i say Abu no handza (sorry lol)

I don't see how this is entrapment as they are only saying things, not actually through action that is prosecutable. Either way its interesting to "bait" people into talking how they truly felt, though alcohol works best.
edit on 23-10-2012 by Svipdagr because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 23 2012 @ 03:29 PM
link   
reply to post by gladtobehere

Another story which follows along the coattail of your OP that occurred in Idaho: www.freedominourtime.blogspot.com...

One noteable snippet:

According to Idaho law the Feds committed an act of “criminal solicitation” for which they should have been prosecuted and punished “in the same manner and to the same extent” prescribed for the offense being solicited.

I agreed with Mr. Grigg's point of view after reading Idaho's statute on criminal solicitation. It reminded me of the proverbial "do as I say & not as I do" policy of governance.

Yay!

posted on Oct, 23 2012 @ 05:19 PM
link   
I love how nothing Muslims do is their fault. its the same line of rationalization we get from the left when it comes to Obama's failures.

Why do libels constantly make excuses for people who get violent over cartoons and words?

Tell me, was the Chikafill owner "baited" ion to saying his true feelings? I didn't see any of you jumping to his defense for being "baited". I guess when some drunk asshole beats his g/f, you blame the woman for "baiting" him?
edit on 23-10-2012 by PvtHudson because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 23 2012 @ 06:05 PM
link   
Whats easy to overlook is these entrapment techniques can be used on pretty much anyone, undoubtedly with a higher success rate depending on the individuals beliefs, track record and so on. People in general "stick with the herd" and are easily influenced, just look how effective propaganda has worked on a national scale in the last 100 years.

While these law officers with the resources and methods are able to convince people to do things they may otherwise wouldn't is not really nothing new, or skillful for that matter. Plus it's flexible and can be used situationally.

Picture for instance a law abiding citizen, has a family and worked hard his whole life and gets fired from his job. His house and everything he owns is at risk, some Fed comes along and offers him a fool proof way to knock off a bank or an armored car. Simple example but the applications of the the technique are very versatile in cases of desperation, financial problems and in this case drug charges.

These entrapment techniques are used all the time in law enforcement, from simple things like bait cars to full blown narcotic stings, why the media is glamorizing these particular incidents is the real question.

posted on Oct, 23 2012 @ 06:13 PM
link   
reply to post by gladtobehere

There's no one "baiting" Muslims in Norway, yet they run around beating people up. Raping women in Oslo and threatening innocent people.

posted on Oct, 23 2012 @ 06:46 PM
link   
its called peer preasure people. didnt you learn about it in school? as it turns out it works on adults aswell. you could probably convince mitt romney to make out with a gay dude if you had enough people around him telling him to do it or hes a pu**y

posted on Oct, 25 2012 @ 09:36 AM
link   
Go to Cleverbot.com and start asking questions using the word 'muslim'.

It stops working.

Apparently they wrote in the software code to stop working if the word muslim is used. They're afraid someone will try to get it to say something that will infuriate the muslim world.

Go try it.

posted on Oct, 25 2012 @ 10:02 AM
link   
Having read the article, the following can be stated:
I have heard of this kind of activity before, but what is different is that this time, the person doing the surveillance and reporting, is trying to get the persons of interest in trouble. NPR ran a story several months ago about a person who did just that, and it was just short of being pretty much being considered with in the realms of harassment. While it leads us to believe that the government is wrong it does raise questions on the following:
How far should an organization or organizations go to protect its people? What should be out of bounds and just what is the point of no return on the part of both sides? These are the kinds of questions that should be answered and ultimately when such comes out, responsibility on both parts needs to be accepted and acknowledged.
While this is not the first time that such has been used, it will not be the last time, though in the past, the person on the inside, or the plant, did every thing within their ability to avoid breaking the law, taking notes and their testimony was used to convict, as it was solid and ultimately they were shown to be without guilt. The plant did not commit any acts that were against the law, or was giving a pardon for their actions while undercover. They were not just a citizen picked at random, but highly trained and a part of the organization that was doing the undercover work.
What is most disturbing about all of this is that the methods that they are using, does not seem right in any aspect of the senses, there is something wholly untrustworthy of such and reminds one of the days of the inquisition or even that of dictatorships long gone, where a neighbor could denounce their neighbor all on the grounds that they did not like what they saw.

posted on Nov, 6 2012 @ 12:55 AM
link   
reply to post by sdcigarpig

While hopefully everyone agrees with the ratting out the innocent neighbour part, I cannot help but think that you, yourself have experience in such situations. The fact is, that this simple technique can be used against anyone and therfore a Judge should undoubtfuly know this. Unfortunately with such corruption in the U.S. Legal system, in fact as it stands, everybody in the world with the slightest knowledge of of current events would look over U.S. legal proceedings with a careful eye.

The U.S., simply is not trusted by anyone without special interests, economic benefits, personal interests etc. mopping up WW2 has done that. America in "the other" worlds eyes, believe it or not were just "mop up" troops that cleaned up operations when the real men died fighting in battlefields. Scavangers, to put it lightly. Only engaging in combative warefare when the economic purpopses fit. As does continue to this day, would any conscious commander send troops to secure an oil field or a poppu field? Smedley Butler, the highest decorated Marine I believe said once somewhere along the lines "Im not fighting for my country, I'm fighting for Fruit Corp" Such is the detriment of Capitalism.

Hey, its all fair ball with Capatilsm right? nobody factors in the inside deals or the persuasion which is why Captialsim is by default corrupt, in terms of mankind historaclly. Hey didn't the U.S. Government bail out Ford, GM and whomever because they were "too big to fail" this alone smashes the fact the Capitalism doesn't work, at least in the U.S.A.

Which, only reaffirms the fact the some other type of system is needed. Capatilsm has indeed failed in the U.S.A. So whats the answer Obama Communism? LOL.

Capatilism like the dual party system just breeds needless competetion, everybody indeed, must think about getting ahead of the other in terms of financially (when did money mean anything) so they can obtain more, be better, achieve more then the other. This thinking, in general, is a massive, massive, detriment to mankind.

We have the technology to explore other worlds, perhaps even settle and recreate. Perhaps this is going on right now without any of us "scum" knowing, hey even the goddess "Phage" is unaware of such advancements and his "expertise" is irrelevant to the matters.

The basic fact is, humanity, is being held down and retarted in advancement. I know Old phage, is he old? likes fighter jets, whilst maintaining a proper strike capabilitly is of course within reason to venturing to outer space, I feel that Phage uses this as a means to bolster and increase the "range" of his personal strike capability.

www.youtube.com...

oink oink
edit on 6-11-2012 by onethatisrampant because: For the Occasion

edit on 6-11-2012 by onethatisrampant because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 6 2012 @ 01:45 PM
link   
reply to post by onethatisrampant

While I have not experienced such, I do believe the following:
Those who do not learn from the past are doomed to repeat it.

I have studies and do read about things from the past, our shared history, and acts like the ones that the FBI and the CIA are conducting, reeks of other groups that did the exact same thing, though they did such in the open and not under the cover of darkness. While such actions have done some good, but this is more in lines of the Inquisition, Pogroms, the Nazi party and other Totalitarian regimes of the past and in the present day. Where discontentment is equated to disloyalty, or worse, treason, subject to the brutal systems of justice.

top topics

join