It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

i need some suggestions regarding laptops

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 23 2012 @ 01:57 PM
link   
which brands are good, which ones aren't. would you buy that brand again, ect. also, if you've had problems, how was the company's customer service dept? any advice/suggestions will be greatly appreciated. thanks

signature:

posted on Oct, 23 2012 @ 01:59 PM
link   
Keep bombing the board and no one will help. This is not the way ATS works

posted on Oct, 23 2012 @ 02:08 PM
link   
reply to post by zonetripper2065

sorry, semi-newbie here. i didn't realize i was bombing the board. i put the post in several forums because i wasn't sure which one would be the best place to post it.

posted on Oct, 23 2012 @ 02:17 PM
link   
reply to post by ozmaoz47

What are you going to do with the laptop?

posted on Oct, 23 2012 @ 02:30 PM
link   

I am on my second HP laptop, the first lasted almost 8 years. My husband is on his second one also. His is for work, mine is for fun. After shopping around HP gave us the most bang for the buck, and our first ones outlasted all off our friend's laptops of competing brands with fewer problems.

posted on Oct, 23 2012 @ 03:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by sixswornsermon

What are you going to do with the laptop?

I second this question. Until we know what you are going to use it for, how can we answer your question?

Don't worry so much about brand. All brands have cheap, better, and best usually. Don't buy cheap!

For general use, 4-6 gigabytes of ram, dual-core processor or better, and intel 4000 graphics or better / or AMD equivalent.

My personal preference as a Tech, is Dell or Toshiba. These seem to have less hardware problems than the others. HP and Compaq have the most hardware problems on the market. However, some folks do great with them, such as littled16.

It really comes down to what brand offers what you like. If the specs are the same, take your pick.

edit on 10/23/2012 by Klassified because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 23 2012 @ 05:49 PM
link   
I personally (having 10yrs experience as an IT engineer) prefer the cheap Chinese knock-offs.
You cant go wrong with a no name, $275.00 laptop from mainland china.

www.alibaba.com...

There's a number of pro's for this choice.

1. They are going to be the world super power, so what better way to be accustomed to the new and improved Chinese OS: 'wingdows'.

2. The customer service is second to none. Because there really isn't any alternatives.

3. You learn a new language while on hold for support. Practice your favorite sayings
'' don't shoot, i like china ''
'' down with American imperialism ''
'' no problems, i like lead flavored baby formula ''

4. You get 2-3 working days out of the laptop

Packaging Detail: 1xLaptop 1xcharger 1xgift box 1xdisk 1xuser manual
Delivery Detail: With 2-3 working days

5. You'll be the only kid on the block with a genuine Chinese knock off.

6. You wont need to waste all your time looking around for spam or viruses, the laptop will come built in with all sorts of Trojans and spamming tools.

7. Worried about pirated software? no problems. You have a genuine copy of Office 2022 and Windows 3.1

8. It comes with the new

CPU: Intel ATOM Dual core D525 1.8Ghz

Now don't be fooled, this isn't the ATOM CPU your used it, NO Its made from genuine toxic radioactive Chinese waste. (Lead included)

9. If your laptop is stolen, no worries. The Chinese government ensures all laptops are fitted with spying, phishing and tracking features to ensure your laptop is tracked and monitored at every step.

10. Laptops are built and maintained from specialized trained technicians.

11. Only quality lead batteries are used, and replacements are available at a discounted price.

edit on 23-10-2012 by Agit8dChop because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 25 2012 @ 12:14 AM
link   

Not at all my friend, tis all good

posted on Oct, 25 2012 @ 05:59 PM
link   
reply to post by Agit8dChop

interesting points, but will they deliver a pu pu platter with it?

posted on Oct, 28 2012 @ 11:15 AM
link   
"ACER Aspire" can't fault them. That's what i'm on. 500 Gigabyte hard drive, HL-DT-ST DVD-RAM GT32N DVD/CD
WDC WD5000BEVT-22A0RT0 Disk Drives. NTFS File system.
edit on 28-10-2012 by Ferryman because: Mistake

posted on Oct, 28 2012 @ 11:52 PM
link   
Go with Lenovo.

posted on Oct, 28 2012 @ 11:56 PM
link   
ASUS or nothing.

posted on Oct, 31 2012 @ 02:50 PM
link   
I 2nd ASUS, or thinkpad.

posted on Oct, 31 2012 @ 03:39 PM
link   
A few years ago Walmart had an Acer laptop on sale for a really cheap price of $398. I checked the reviews online and it got great bang for the buck reviews, so I got one. Best PC (Laptop or Desktop) that I have ever owned! I've never dealt with their customer service, so I can't tell you how that is.

I can't remember the model number. When I find out I'll post it.

posted on Nov, 2 2012 @ 02:07 AM
link   
Asus is brilliant or it was when I bought mine in 2006 ..the comma key is U/s but that is not bad for six years of use.
Oh and the battery won't hold a charge.

Memory size pocessor type and speed .....hard drive type ie spiinning or the new breed

Battery life which is a huge factor get at least six hours on the net battery life.

Anyhimg above $600 will see you for about two years.

People pay up and over $3000 for a laptop.

They pay for the latest processors and storage ect storage technology as well as fast graphics ect.
But within 2 years they will be lucky to selll their expensively bought laptop for more than $400.

The material value of laptops is approx $200 for the most expensive laptop on the market.

Once used.

Basicqally if you are just browsing the net buy the cheapest computer.

The cheapest computer today is better performing than the top end computer less than ten years ago.

posted on Nov, 14 2012 @ 03:06 AM
link   
I have had a Toshiba 17.3" widescreen laptop for a little over three years now. I have had no trouble whatsoever with it. I only paid a little over $500.00 for it after taxes. It has plenty of speed and disk space. However, since I download a lot of YouTube files and a lot of pictures I just recently bought a Passport 500GB USB powered external disk. It is small enough to carry around in my shirt pocket and triples my original 250GB disk without any loss in speed. The Passport cost a little over $80.00.

new topics

top topics

join