Help ATS with a contribution via PayPal:
learn more

The World According To Americans?

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9 >>

join

posted on Oct, 25 2012 @ 02:00 PM
link   
I always love how elitest people jump on the band wagon to disparage the US and snuggle up to how they "do it in Europe".
You look at something like this map which is a funny way for Americans to poke fun at themselves and then proceed to do something I find hilarious.
You shred "Americans" for being so ignorant and believing in stereotypes by using and espousing on the stereotypes of Americans!!
"people in America ase so stupid they think all of Eurpoe are pussies"
"people in the south are all ignorant rednecks who belive in racial stereotypes"

I dont care how people in Europe do "it". If I do care I will educate myself on it and I dont need you looking down your nose at me telling me how.
For the vast MAJORITY of Americans what happens in the rest of the world is completely irrelevant. We dont care. We dont have to care unless it effects us directly. The difference is that we dont expect the Europeans or anyone else for that matter to give a crap about what we are doing either.

posted on Oct, 25 2012 @ 02:33 PM
link   
If the world wants to hate America, that is their right. It is still a free (for the most part) world.

Additionally, if many Americans are too busy trying to make ends meet while juggling family commitments, job requirements, and any number of daily craziness that may arise (car breaking down, death of loved one, inclement weather, etc.), do not be surprised if it takes us some effort to try to keep up with what is going on the world outside of our own existence.

My job forces me to keep up with the world. My wife does this by choice. My children are being raised to be mindful of the world around them, unlike my generation who only feared a nuclear attack from the USSR.

I don't hate the world for hating us. Many of them simply do not understand that other than the flag that flies over our heads, we are very much similar to the rest of humanity. We love, we cry, we work, we laugh.

Don't believe the reality TV BS that is constantly playing on MTV, VH1, TLC, or Discovery.

posted on Oct, 25 2012 @ 10:37 PM
link   
reply to post by Bluesma

Sorry for the delay.

What's really wierd for me is to be used to that form of "respect" while being married to someone for whom it is more considerate to keep and eye on your neighbors! He'll watch out the windows to see what the neighbors are doing, and I am repulsed by that. Yet they think I am cold and don't care because I didn't notice their comings and goings! Go figure..

I am repulsed by that too. Nosy is what its called. And there is the duality nature of us in the US. We are caught between what we are brought up to be (mindful) without being (bothersome). We are torn between, "Don't stare. its impolite" and nowadays, "See something, say something".

We also want to be needed and cared for like any healthy human, but at the same time we don't want to be "doted upon" or "hovered over". One is caring and nurture the other invasive and intrusive. Both of these pull at us here today in post 911. Its beginning to tell and we are receding into our walls and minds away from each other. I hate that part. Everyone should just chill.

Part of that two faced dilemma is also the "pretending". Some modernized, civilized people want to show they care but really care as little as they can get away with. Sort of keeping up appearances and putting on a show. Giving lip service to actually lending a hand or helping out, but when it comes time to deliver something "comes up" that prevents that. I just couldn't make it, or we're busy this weekend. Awwww.... so sorry. Maybe next time.

You also tend to notice that they are never around to help anybody in the long run. Unless of course there is some kind of advantage in it for them. They get more out of it than they put in. Then they'll be first in line.

Maybe I'm just more cynical toady. I am surrounded by neighbors and family that are like this though. In the end, you are really on your own. Or at the most, in someone's prayers.

posted on Oct, 26 2012 @ 12:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by Dragoon01

For the vast MAJORITY of Americans what happens in the rest of the world is completely irrelevant. We dont care. We dont have to care unless it effects us directly.

This IS the stereotype of the American though! It is what that map joke is trying to express.
You confirm it while also objecting to others expressing it.

posted on Oct, 26 2012 @ 09:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by Bluesma

See, these comments are humorous from a french point of view- you consider "speedo" type of swimwear "sexual". I wonder, do you not consider it sexual that women wear no tops at the beach??
For the french, it is not.

No, I don't consider manties sexual at all. I just consider them tacky and obscene. I'd rather have a little left to the imagination than knowing exactly how much pubic hair a man has and his accompanying weiner-bump. There is nothing sexy about manties, IMO.
No, I do not consider topless women at the beach sexual. I have gone topless before in Mexico and didn't think twice about it. Admittedly, it was a little weird at first because growing up American, you expect everyone to freak out and just stare at your titties, but when you realize no one cares you just forget about it.

But, the taboo americans have against sex is the equivalent of theirs concerning money.

It is okay to make jokes about sex, (it doesn't mean you want to have sex with the people you tell it to)
but it is not okay to do so about money. You think it is okay to say in french public how much you are paid, or how much you paid for your house? Well, that is like wearing a speedo. That is offensive to them. That means you want to steal their money. You were just extremely rude when you did that, and you don't even know it!

I would never discuss money with a stranger or in front of a stranger. That is obnoxious, egotistic and conceited. Even my closest friends and I do not discuss our income or how we spend it. Someone who does that is typically a very shallow person who is insecure about how others perceive them and feel like their self-worth is measured by their wealth. To me, that is vain and childish. The people that I actually do know that are like that, are not people that I typically associate with. I have also found that the people who are most like that are oriental people. Most of the oriental people I know, or have come into contact with are obsessed with money.

The water wasting comments? I am american. I just had two american guests at home. They are very successful and well brought up men. We gave them a very nice apartment we just had constructed. Every damn time we left for the day or the evening, they left all the lights on inside! All of them! I have seen my own family in the US do the same thing.

So if they complain that we spend so much money on travel during our many vacations, I have only to say that we made a choice- we waste less, so we can do more. I can't help but say that yes, I think americans have largely taken on the habit of waste.

Ugh, my kids & husband drive me insane over the leaving the lights on, ceiling fan on, t.v. on, whatever. I grew up with my grandparents who were raised during the Great Depression of the 1930's. My Mammaw washed plastic wrap and ziplock bags and would use them over and over again. Nothing was wasted, even styrofoam to-go containers and plastic spoons and forks were washed and re-used. She kept EVERYTHING! I grew up with the habit of never even turning on the lights during the day. According to my grandparents, lights were for nighttime. They didn't even want me to flush the toilet until the end of the day if all I did was pee in it. Poop, of course, was always flushed immediately, but apparently pee can be accumulated until the end of the day....LOL.

Even in the middle of the night, if I get up to get a drink of water or use the bathroom, I never turn on a light and it makes my husband crazy. He says he never knows if I'll be "lurking" around in the dark or something...LOL.

Having grown up the way I did, I absolutely agree that many Americans are wasteful. But it is only because they are allowed to be. I am raising my children much the way my grandparents raised me....well, except for the toilet flushing business.....and it is a perpetual effort for me to stay on top of them about turning off the lights or ceiling fan. But I know that my perseverance will eventually pay off. Most parents probably either don't care or just give up and quit.

posted on Oct, 26 2012 @ 11:55 AM
link   
reply to post by Jargonaut

Not to take anythoing away from the athletes but don't you think the deck might have been stacked in their favor?
Used to the climate, footing, etc. Not saying it was like the '36 cross country stacked but still....

posted on Oct, 26 2012 @ 04:09 PM
link   
reply to post by Bluesma

You didnt pay attention.
Its two seperate points in a single post.
one concerning the hypocracy of people using sterotypes to disparage others for believing in sterotypes.

The second point was that the map was funny and yes it pokes fun at ourselves. As I said most Americans dont have too care about the rest of the world. You and many others throughout the world see that as some kind of ignorance or shortcoming and I am telling you that most Americans dont care what you think about it.
The part you skipped right over is that we are not so damn arrogant to expect people in Assbackastan to care what goes on in the US either.
I dont expect people in France or Germany to care or know about the US. I dont hold it out as a judgement on their intelligence that they dont understand a lot of things about the US. They dont live here how can they anymore understand them than I understand the local political affairs of Baden.
Thats the difference. You look at somthing like this map and see it as an example of how dumb Americans are and turn your nose up in disgust.

posted on Oct, 26 2012 @ 06:00 PM
link   
I have seen some deep ignorance out of my fellow Americans. But since moving to the US more than 20 years ago and growing up here I have found that most Americans(at least the ones I've encountered) are deeply thoughful and curious about the world.

posted on Oct, 28 2012 @ 07:32 AM
link   

reply to post by Bluesma

You didnt pay attention.
one concerning the hypocracy of people using sterotypes to disparage others for believing in sterotypes.

The second point was that the map was funny and yes it pokes fun at ourselves. As I said most Americans dont have too care about the rest of the world. You and many others throughout the world see that as some kind of ignorance or shortcoming and I am telling you that most Americans dont care what you think about it.
The part you skipped right over is that we are not so damn arrogant to expect people in Assbackastan to care what goes on in the US either.
I dont expect people in France or Germany to care or know about the US. I dont hold it out as a judgement on their intelligence that they dont understand a lot of things about the US. They dont live here how can they anymore understand them than I understand the local political affairs of Baden.
Thats the difference. You look at somthing like this map and see it as an example of how dumb Americans are and turn your nose up in disgust.

This is the thing though, no matter how much we try to explain it you won't get it. Its simple, you're an american, you can't get it.
"The part you skipped right over is that we are not so damn arrogant to expect people in Assbackastan to care what goes on in the US either.
I dont expect people in France or Germany to care or know about the US. I dont hold it out as a judgement on their intelligence that they dont understand a lot of things about the US."
This is the thing, a HUGE part of the american stereotype is the fact, (now obviously I'm jumping into stereotype mode to explain) they don't care what goes on the rest of world. You say "we are not so damn ignorant", no one expects you to know these things, no ones pressuring you to learn them, so you don't have to make a point of not knowing.

You shouldn't expect people in France or Germany to care or no about the us. They do anyway, every other country does, its in all our mutual Interests.
We get taught about other countries just because its simple general knowledge.
In america you seem to be taught that its you (big bad america) against the rest of the world who is constantly trying to attack you.
When really everyone's sat back saying "ffs calm down america stop being so paranoid"
You're an american, you can't help that.
Not all Americans are stupid, but they are all american.

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 03:08 AM
link   

reply to post by Bluesma

You didnt pay attention.

I got that, and yet even in this sentence, your comment suggest there is something wrong with believing in stereotypes, as if they are mostly false! Yet that same post there proved the opposite- that the sterotype being expressed here is CORRECT therefore it is not wrong to believe it.

That map didn't show sterotypes Americans have of other peoples, they showed that the common american doesn't even have enough knowledge to have any idea of what the people are like there, stereotype or not!
All they pay attention to is what they can get from a country, which ones they are trying to destroy, or exploit.

]The second point was that the map was funny and yes it pokes fun at ourselves. As I said most Americans dont have too care about the rest of the world. You and many others throughout the world see that as some kind of ignorance or shortcoming and I am telling you that most Americans dont care what you think about it.

For one, I am AMERICAN, so poking fun of myself and my own culture is expected.
It is true that I have come to see this as a fault though. I found my self centered ignorance (which is highly common in our country due to education and conditioning) ultimately to be a handicap, and that it also influenced how others in the world treated me, and their willingness to cooperate with me when I need it.

Say and show you don't care about anyone else, then bitch because a country didn't agree to join you on a raid against your enemy?? Or expect them to be open, kind, polite and welcoming after you have shown them that?
-THAT is the stupid part. That is failing to connect the dots and see how our attitudes affect our relations.

People in other parts of the world DO learn about and care about the rest of the world. Their children learn in school. Because they know they are part of the same world, an international community, and sometimes they may have to talk, interact or trade with people from other countries....They may need to make allies and friends with them, to exchange aid in times of need..... they may want to do business or travel with these other countries.
They may want to avoid making unecessary enemies.

It is only our country, us the Americans, who tend to have this "we don't care about anyone else but ourselves" attitude you are expressing, and that that map was poking fun at.
Others do expect us to care like the rest of the world because it is more realistic and logical to do so- we ARE part of an international community, we ARE affected by other lands and peoples and vice versa, and we are not our own planet alone in space.

edit on 29-10-2012 by Bluesma because: (no reason given)
edit on 29-10-2012 by Bluesma because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 03:19 AM
link   
I've spent considerable time around the world and can sincerely say Europe is fruity. Though you might not believe me, I'm fairly cultured, respectful, ect. But that's just the way it is. Americans are fat and Europeans are fruity.
edit on 29-10-2012 by hauster because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 03:38 AM
link   
This idea of American supremacy as an ideological point of view is as outdated as the cold war rhetoric it was spawned from. If you go to rural parts of any country they will spout similar supremacy and exceptionalism in all its vigor.

The US has by far some of the most progressive and balanced thinkers in the world. We have the world's population already well represented within our borders. We no longer are scared of a communist super power taking us over, and so are less tense about proving our "awesomeness".

Most Americans are more concerned with paying rent, feeding their families, and being able to save a little. This whole pack of lies is misrepresented by other world powers who they themselves would love to be the US for a day.

Most people are normal, and most people do not think they are the best country in the world. Us Americans know what we have and are appreciative of it for the most part. That is not a crime and is not wrong. We have a good thing going and we are sorry if jealousy arises, but contrary to popular belief we are not the source of the world's problems.

Money and banking are. Have been for the last couple hundred years. We only got onto the world power scene a couple decades ago so....no.

If a finger goes up to look elsewhere. We are still fighting being completely taken over by "one worlders" and their vision of a one world government spawned in Bavaria long ago.

We are just another country that is doing its best to keep everyone from going to war again. Our military presence is there for that reason, though our financial system controlled form elsewhere keeps us in wars for profit. That is yet another external influence imposed upon the American people from abroad.

So stop with the "Americans are pompous and uncultured" rhetoric. We are you if your government had half the chance. Your countries are no better nor think in any more noble terms than we do.

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 03:41 AM
link   
reply to post by manykapao

So stop with the "Americans are pompous and uncultured" rhetoric. We are you if your government had half the chance. Your countries are no better nor think in any more noble terms than we do.

I dont hate US. If anyone from a different country is annoyed at US i would guess its because they have a good habit of voting in the wrong candidate, then we have to hear you guys complain about them for 4 years.

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 03:47 AM
link   
reply to post by AthlonSavage

and tell me what country LOVES their candidate unilaterally?

That proves nothing. Every country hates their president before the other party takes over. Most have a tag team of similar ideologies that take over in tandem and keep the people divided. Show me a country that has loved its presidents from day one to the last day without opposition.

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 03:50 AM
link   

and tell me what country LOVES their candidate unilaterally?

That proves nothing. Every country hates their president before the other party takes over. Most have a tag team of similar ideologies that take over in tandem and keep the people divided. Show me a country that has loved its presidents from day one to the last day without opposition.

Garbage....they loved eisenhower and JKF..

so Blaaa@#^$ on your logic

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 03:53 AM
link   

you seem to be trolling, what does that have to do with the issue at hand?

Both were war time presidents, and one was ASSASINATED! Not very universally loved one.

You follow me around the boards to try and provoke an emotional response. Did someone at ATS send you or are you here on behalf of some other bored with life entity?

your insult was well received. It is fuel to my fire.

edit on 29-10-2012 by manykapao because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 03:56 AM
link   

You follow me around the boards to try and provoke an emotional response. Did someone at ATS send you or are you here on behalf of some other bored with life entity?

your insult was well received. It is fuel to my fire.

Well i made a point that struck a chord. So i apologize so no need to go on the war path.
And i think you thinking of someone else following u, this is the second thread i have replied to u in.

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 03:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by manykapao

So stop with the "Americans are pompous and uncultured" rhetoric. We are you if your government had half the chance.

WHY say something like that, which completely contradicts yourself??? "We're not pompous , you're just jealous and wish you were us" .

My whole point here is that even as so many americans deny this to be true, they PROVE it is true simultaneously.

Look, I know that in our country, responsibility for our actions and choices is one of our highest values and morals!
That is a necessary part of individual freedom- you have to be able to see how YOU have power over what happens to you, and how you can steer your own experiences.

Recognizing how YOU pull this reputation upon yourself, and your peoples, is key to changing it.

In this case, when it comes to how others around us feel about us, assuming how others feel is what shall determine your acts and therefore, how they will feel!`

Assume everyone else hates you, you WILL make that happen. It is a self -fulfilling prophecy.

I have a suggestion, (not directly for you, poster, just for some of my fellow americans reading who have this same attitude you showed)

What about considering this view-
Other countries are different, but equal to you, that is how they see themselves. They do not wish to be like you, and they do not think you wish to be like them, they appreciate the worlds diversity.
They do not hate or dislike you. But there has been a misunderstanding, they have gotten a false impression of you due to some defensiveness/offensiveness we had when we were very scared.

But at any time we can change that perception they have, by simply relaxing, breathing, and being friendly.
Remember that you are part of something bigger than your own country, and that is a GOOD thing.

Did any of you ever notice that the kids that were rejected in high school were usually ones that started off the animosity by assuming they couldn't fit in, and so acted defensive (offensive) before anyone else had a chance to form an opinion? Then they claimed they were bullied or treated unfairly without ever acknowledging their own principle hostile attitude......

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 04:01 AM
link   
reply to post by Bluesma

Yeh im with you Bluesma on everything your wrote...u tell him...

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 04:06 AM
link   

no you just stick out since you always follow me in my limited time here. You are in every thread I participate in and only talk to me for the most part. You seem to have a "war path" towards making my time here conflictive.

Please do not speak to me. Thank you.

Yeh im with you Bluesma on everything your wrote...u tell him...

your last post proves my point....you act like a child.

EDIT:
But hey, I am flattered to have my own person here to follow me around. Makes me feel important.

thank you.

edit on 29-10-2012 by manykapao because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9 >>

join