It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The World According To Americans?

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 24 2012 @ 01:19 PM
link   
reply to post by Drezden

Portugal as Brazil... clever!

posted on Oct, 24 2012 @ 01:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by thoughtsfull
reply to post by SaturnFX

I have to admit, that I don't generally as a rule ever, like as in never ever stick up for the French... *wipes brow* *deep breath" but honestly Parisiennes are like another type of people altogether, especially the rude part, they have that down to a fine art, which seems to equally appal most other French people.. the rural areas they are a lot nicer, it is a shame you didn't get to see that..

*wipes brow again while muttering something about sticking up for the French and needing a drink to deal with the shock*

Perhaps. Work sent me to Paris, took my vacations in Paris also..didn't stray outside of the city (the city was stunning, pity the people were there sort of thing).

Also I am sure the average person sitting in Paris is alright overall..like any society, the most obnoxious and stupid are the ones that get the most attention. I remember the rude staff, and forget the smiling man sitting at the next table sort of thing. guess we are programmed to weigh the negative more than the positive.

posted on Oct, 24 2012 @ 01:41 PM
link   
reply to post by Char-Lee

I think your analysis has been formed in haste. And if in fact you have done your groundwork, then, it obviously hasn't been very objective.

posted on Oct, 24 2012 @ 01:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by SaturnFX

Originally posted by thoughtsfull

I have to admit, that I don't generally as a rule ever, like as in never ever stick up for the French... *wipes brow* *deep breath" but honestly Parisiennes are like another type of people altogether, especially the rude part, they have that down to a fine art, which seems to equally appal most other French people.. the rural areas they are a lot nicer, it is a shame you didn't get to see that..

*wipes brow again while muttering something about sticking up for the French and needing a drink to deal with the shock*

Perhaps. Work sent me to Paris, took my vacations in Paris also..didn't stray outside of the city (the city was stunning, pity the people were there sort of thing).

Also I am sure the average person sitting in Paris is alright overall..like any society, the most obnoxious and stupid are the ones that get the most attention. I remember the rude staff, and forget the smiling man sitting at the next table sort of thing. guess we are programmed to weigh the negative more than the positive.

That is very true...

and I will put my hand up and say that I tend to do that (see the negative)

Have to admit, thinking more on that point, that like London, I saw a side of Paris that I didn't much like, ugly buildings in run down areas, people sleeping rough, so there again the negatives overshadow any positives.

posted on Oct, 24 2012 @ 01:58 PM
link   
I would like to add that since I came to the Internet I have become much more aware and tolerant of other people and places. Because of sites like ATS, I get a much more rounded view of the world than I ever did before from just the Media. And I mean that in a big way. It is the media that was primarily responsible for my misguided sentiments about many countries, peoples or world events. I have had to relearn to be human all over again. That is a good thing.

Thanks ATS

posted on Oct, 24 2012 @ 02:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by Banananananana

I think your analysis has been formed in haste. And if in fact you have done your groundwork, then, it obviously hasn't been very objective.

Just something i have noticed life long and I am near 60 so it has been a while!

i first really noted when my brother was jerked out of College and forced to go kill in Nam.

They were all forced to go to a "church" in the military and I believe they still are, I know they are in Marine training.

Must have god on your side.

So you never hear the Good Verses Evil thought when it comes to American wars? Where have you been? or Axas of evil now days I guess must be destroyed...

posted on Oct, 24 2012 @ 02:03 PM
link   

I don't know Paris, I have lived on the meditteranean coast area for 20 years, but I've always been mostly embarrassed being around american tourists here. They are so rude, without knowing it! Then they wonder why no one around is treating them with warmth!

"Rude" is relative to the culture and it's rules of politess.

But it took me years to figure out a lot of it. This year we finally announced to all of our friends and family that we wil not be taking in any more of their kids, their friends, their friends kids, etc..... for the summer.

We cannot stand the way they act rude, arrogant, ignorant, truly offensive to our family and friends here who try to welcome them joyfully...Seriously, especially the young people? They actually say "I know you are all jealous of us and wish you were us! " outloud to people!
And I feel torn because I know they haven't the slightest inkling of idea of how arrogant and stupid they seem. They don't mean it to harm, they just think it is truth.

posted on Oct, 24 2012 @ 02:06 PM
link   
reply to post by Sublimecraft

Sharks with lazers. LOL!

posted on Oct, 24 2012 @ 02:14 PM
link   
reply to post by Bluesma

What is it they do, exactly?

And being outside DC, I have dealt with my fair share of foreigners, and they can be every bit as rude as can be.

So I think it is all relative.

I had a discussion with HHcore once where he said that when you visit a foreign country, you can always tell Americans because they are the first on the bus, train, etc.

But this is a good example of culture. Because when it comes to any form of public transportation, the name of the game IS to get one first. We don't consider it rude, or impolite, it is just a way of life.

edit on 24-10-2012 by nixie_nox because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 24 2012 @ 02:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by Bluesma
And I feel torn because I know they haven't the slightest inkling of idea of how arrogant and stupid they seem. They don't mean it to harm, they just think it is truth.

And this is the fault of America, the politicians, the media, etc.
We are told endlessly that America is the greatest freaking thing since sliced bread. We aren't sure in what area outside of military, but ultimately, we are lead to believe everything we do is made of awesome.

We are told that everywhere around the world people are murdering their grandmother to live here. While its true some areas (like Mexico, Cuba, etc) are trying their hardest, thats 3rd world nations, and they are running from where they are moreso than running to anywhere.

Hense why I try to tell people to travel the world, and most importantly, shut up and listen when travelling...listen, explore, and try to understand. Once you leave the bubble here, you get a better understanding of the world you live in.
No doubt when I first started travelling, I made a bunch of people cringe. Luckily I moved due to marriage and had a english wife at the time that set me straight and dropped my flag over my eyes vision.

I think I just didn't like Paris though...mostly because they were rude...not subjectively...objectively...walking to a line was met by tons of people basically cutting as far as they could..it was basically mob aggression verses orderly line...But as I am truely remembering the experience verses the overall feel, there was actually plenty of non-rude people...the hotel attendant whom was trying above and beyond to understand me and be helpful, etc.

One thing that massively jaded my experience however was my work collegue. He was a muslim frenchman whom simply didn't like Americans...He made sure to tell me this, and would very often stop work to explain how America was wrong for trying to do this or that...its like, dude, I am not political, I am just trying to get this database up and running...lets focus.
And he would become angry at me for no reason. I was trying my best to simply be polite and focus in on what I was paid to do, but he couldn't stop. every day, endlessly telling me how America somehow holds him down and cheers israel too much.

Understand, I spent 2 months in Egypt working with nothing but muslims..I had no issues with them. got along fine with them. This guy was different, and so no doubt that weighs heavily on my experience of Paris.

As I said before, I guess we weigh the negative more than the positive.

Also, the cheese is disgusting...seriously. took a bite of something that smelled of rotting dirty feet..wreched for half an hour afterwards and couldn't get the taste out of my mouth for the rest of the day...and my medium steak was still moo'ing.

Would still fight for them if they got invaded though. They are a western nation, and the west (in my opinion) sticks together.

posted on Oct, 24 2012 @ 02:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Bluesma

and needed to be saved by the Americans (not the Allies, of course, only Americans).

Given that you're an American, you would know why we say it that way. We're taught that Hitler was on his way to being Supreme Commander of Europe before the United States got involved in the war. It's not something that we just pulled out of thin air; there is a certain reasoning behind it.

posted on Oct, 24 2012 @ 02:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sissel My own personal belief is that people who live in the deep south, need a country of their own.

Tried it.
Didn't work so well.

posted on Oct, 24 2012 @ 02:34 PM
link   
The best part about being from Canada is we get to sit back and watch "Merica" dig her own grave.
Canada has water, oil, diamonds, wood, craft beer, the best weed in the world, everyone is skinny and sexy, and Wayne Gretzky.

I love watching those talk shows when they hit the streets and ask people random questions everyone should know but of course the Mericans do not.... USA is a great reality show for Canadians to watch.

posted on Oct, 24 2012 @ 02:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by Aquarius2150
The best part about being from Canada is we get to sit back and watch "Merica" dig her own grave.
Canada has water, oil, diamonds, wood, craft beer, the best weed in the world, everyone is skinny and sexy, and Wayne Gretzky.

I love watching those talk shows when they hit the streets and ask people random questions everyone should know but of course the Mericans do not.... USA is a great reality show for Canadians to watch.

Guess you don't have the same education system if you don't know they edit those questions to only include the dumb answers. The guy rattling off the right answer isn't interesting.

We also have water, oil (we discovered it) wood, craft beer, and the Netherlands gets the next one. Sexiness, only 30% of the population is overweight, and the first billion dollar athlete.

These stupid fat Americans owned the Olympics and put a rover on Mars.

posted on Oct, 24 2012 @ 02:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by Char-Lee

Originally posted by Banananananana

Just something i have noticed life long and I am near 60 so it has been a while!

i first really noted when my brother was jerked out of College and forced to go kill in Nam.

They were all forced to go to a "church" in the military and I believe they still are, I know they are in Marine training.

Must have god on your side.

So you never hear the Good Verses Evil thought when it comes to American wars? Where have you been? or Axas of evil now days I guess must be destroyed...

Ditto on the religious overtones in the military. It is in fact a cornerstone. The chapel at the Air Force Academy in Colorado Springs...

www.flickriver.com...

posted on Oct, 24 2012 @ 03:09 PM
link   
reply to post by intrptr

Wow Nice chapel!

posted on Oct, 24 2012 @ 03:16 PM
link   
To be fair to the Americans they do have a nice country with plenty of variety, those of us in the UK have to travel about to escape the rain.

posted on Oct, 24 2012 @ 03:34 PM
link   
reply to post by talklikeapirat

well according to many places in the world america is seen as the land of dumb fat ignorant people......

yet like a poster above pointed out we crushed the olympics, and put a rover on mars... what has your country done lately??

edit on 24-10-2012 by votan because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 24 2012 @ 03:59 PM
link   
reply to post by votan

what has your country done lately??

Not much, just hanging and making fun of dumb fat ignorant people.

Honestly, i'd never have anticipated the amount of thoughtful replies to a caricature map, that is not even that funny and a couple of not so thoughtful questions. And i'm especially thankful for the personal stories related here.

posted on Oct, 24 2012 @ 04:25 PM
link   

Im not refuting the idea that it's present; in fact, it's very obvious. What I'm saying is that because of the overt nature of it, it leads people to assume that A+B=C when in fact what we're dealing with is far deeper than a simple 'holy war', and not the type of 'holy war' from the perspective that many would have one believe. Obviously we're treading off topic now, but in sum, I just think the 'holy war' angle is convenient and not deep enough. Either way, I appreciate your input in the thread.

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join