It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The World According To Americans?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 24 2012 @ 09:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by Wongbeedman

Originally posted by KentuckyMan
reply to post by talklikeapirat

If you ask me that map is a stereotype...
and you are using it on here to bait for you threads agenda...
So bedside's that i wont give it another glance.

I think the comment below describes the kind of person you are quite well.
Are you be of the "'merica's number one and the rest of the worlds underdeveloped and trying to copy us" kinda people?

No see you are stereotyping and trying to put word's in my mouth.
and poorly i might add..

See if you Honestly wanted to know what i think.You would have asked not just ASSUMED rudely.
With a question mark at end lol

And also gave credence to the remark i made
The thread is made with the intent to bait stereotypical people out and you fell for it

edit on 24-10-2012 by KentuckyMan because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 24 2012 @ 09:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by Bluesma
I think you are right, and I think there is a difference in that way they tease each other in Europe, which is not the same for the US- because these countries in Europe have a long and intertwined history and anscestry. They may have very distinct cultures, but there is still an air of related-ness that I don't experience in the US in regards to other countries (except maybe Canada). It is like the way family members tease each other or have long standing disagreements.

America is so cut off from these other parts of the world, and with such a young history, that might make it different.
They don't hear such teasing like it is coming from a family member, but rather, from an outsider, which makes it seem more threatening. They don't mean in a good natured way either, in general.

But people in different states can mock each other with no problem.

This is really pertaining to the OP. Being young, being far away from other countries, they may be missing some of that feeling of deep ties with the rest of the world (except Israel, as the OP pointed out!
)

I guess someone looking in from the outside of such banter, or who only sees one side of it might see it as threatening, as obsessing about X nation or simply take offence to some of the comments.

I guess if we look realistically at history most European nations have been both best friends and worst enemies with most of the others at some point or other.

You only have to look at France and Britain, 2,000 years of being best pals/worst enemies.. and even with the remarks flying around today have come close to creating a Franco-British Union twice in the last 70 years (1940, France rejected the idea and 1956, Britain rejecting the idea)

What a bizarre twist that would have been!

This topic is worthy of the old European stereotype about heaven and hell.. (one of the many different ones I've seen)

In Heaven: the cooks are French,
the policemen are English,
the mechanics are German,
the lovers are Italian
and the bankers are Swiss.

In Hell: the cooks are English,
the policemen are German,
the mechanics are French,
the lovers are Swiss
and the bankers are Italian.

As for Americans, I have to admit that even after working with American corporations across Europe for the best part of 30 years, and indeed the larger part of my family is American (my grandfather was Cherokee) I still find Americans unfathomable, as a whole nice people in real life, but still unfathomable.

My jovial banter tends to be responded to as though I was being threatening, yet I know they have a sense of humour, which leaves me feeling at a loss, but still, I am sure I'll work it out one day, hopefully when I am old and grey (which is about now
)
edit on 24/10/12 by thoughtsfull because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 24 2012 @ 10:18 AM
link   
reply to post by thoughtsfull

Those maps are well funny

As for stereotypes I just find them hilarious here is a few random ones UK people like to think

USA= Fat, Dumb and a lot are possibly inbred
France= smelly, eat raw meat and very pompous
Italy= hot girls, Old tanned wrinkly men and they stink of olive oil
Spanish= lazy lazy and just a bit lazy, the coastal areas are british most of the year though
Irish= wife beaters, drunks and also not understandable
Germans= Boring, Nazis, but decent beer makers

Not my views nor the views of educated brits or ones who know foriegners but a few that pop up that I just find funny, I would love to see how other countries of the world see each other.
These are friendly views compared to how a lot of working class brits see foriegn countries but then again british do love to racist it's just our culture well atleast where I'm from

posted on Oct, 24 2012 @ 10:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by Wongbeedman

If you ask me that map is a stereotype...
and you are using it on here to bait for you threads agenda...
So bedside's that i wont give it another glance.

I think the comment below describes the kind of person you are quite well.
Are you be of the "'merica's number one and the rest of the worlds underdeveloped and trying to copy us" kinda people?

No see you are stereotyping and trying to put word's in my mouth.
and poorly i might add..

See if you Honestly wanted to know what i think.You would have asked not just ASSUMED rudely.
With a question mark at end lol

And also gave credence to the remark i made
The thread is made with the intent to bait stereotypical people out and you fell for it

edit on 24-10-2012 by KentuckyMan because: (no reason given)

You caused me to assume so I inserted a question mark for confirmation.
Yes its a stereotypical map, showing common stereotypes used by many people not just Americans. You seem to have taken slight offence from these stereotypes.
I assumed that of you because you claimed the map was "bait for your threads agenda"
What agenda? Trying to make the rest of the world think you guys are stupid?
And you said it doesn't deserve another glance, clearly showing your ignorance and unwillingness to sit back, look at yourself and think, have you ever fallen for any of these stereotypes?
We all have at times let's be honest.

posted on Oct, 24 2012 @ 10:30 AM
link   
I'm from Idaho and I can count to Potato!!

posted on Oct, 24 2012 @ 10:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by RAY1990
reply to post by thoughtsfull

Those maps are well funny

As for stereotypes I just find them hilarious here is a few random ones UK people like to think

USA= Fat, Dumb and a lot are possibly inbred
France= smelly, eat raw meat and very pompous
Italy= hot girls, Old tanned wrinkly men and they stink of olive oil
Spanish= lazy lazy and just a bit lazy, the coastal areas are british most of the year though
Irish= wife beaters, drunks and also not understandable
Germans= Boring, Nazis, but decent beer makers

Not my views nor the views of educated brits or ones who know foriegners but a few that pop up that I just find funny, I would love to see how other countries of the world see each other.
These are friendly views compared to how a lot of working class brits see foriegn countries but then again british do love to racist it's just our culture well atleast where I'm from

And don't forget us rotten-toothed, tea drinking old chaps!
This is the difference between america and the rest of the world.
The rest of the world can laugh along and agree that stereotypes are just huge generalisations.
Americas too young and immature to understand this.
Everyone will also know I'm generalising hugely, this isn't aimed at anyone. Only the country as a whole.

posted on Oct, 24 2012 @ 10:35 AM
link   
reply to post by KentuckyMan

Speaking of assumptions.

Since you are here now and still participating, although you said you wouldn't, you should take the time and read some of the replies. Maybe you would be surprised, how thoughtful and not stereotypical at all the things were, people had to say about a map full of stereotypes.

edit on 24-10-2012 by talklikeapirat because: stereotypo

posted on Oct, 24 2012 @ 10:49 AM
link   
reply to post by RAY1990

I do like funny, that link I posted was rather a link to another site.. which I found very funny, they sell calendars, and t-shirts LOL, but have a huge store of stereotype maps..

if you didn't click through, here it is alphadesigner.com...

The Spanish one of Europe made me giggle, Cruella De Merkel...

I don't think it is just us that can be like that..

posted on Oct, 24 2012 @ 11:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by SplitInfinity
reply to post by Bluesma

France and the French have different attitudes about Americans depending on where in France you go. I have this certain American Failing for having the audacity to desire to actually have a French waiter actually take my order within 30 Minutes! LOL!

DRIVES ME NUTZ! I come from a Business Family that always had the motto...place the needs of your customer first and the customer is always right. In France the TIP is built in to the Price. there is no incentive for a person getting your lunch to work for a tip or be punctual.

HORRIBLE SYSTEM! I try to be polite but after awhile...I have to give them the stare which makes them nervous and I finally get a drink. Hate to have to do it though. Split Infinity

Oh yes, it is different, that is for sure! Going to a restaurant is not just to eat for the french, and I have only heard them complain about having the waiter bugging them before they are ready!

Meals are social events, and take at least three hours, as you perhaps aware... so it is expected that the people will be left to socialize without too much disturbance.

The customs of service is rather irritating to me too. But having worked here in such posts, I learned quickly that I had to adapt. I was in a meeting earlier this week with a company that is American, but forming a platform over here, and they were acknowledging that they needed french people to deal with french customers, because the americans get eaten alive by being too nice. They need people who can play the aggressive game back.

But yeah, if you were rude to a waiter, it probably was really a scene. Waiters are not servants or low class members of the society here. It is a real career choice that people aspire to. I can't get a job doing it, for example, because I didn't go to school for that, and have no experience. Unfortunately they are trained according to their own culture- where you must not rush in to the table!

But this is a good example of how people get the wrong ideas of each other! You think they are rude, they think you are rude, and in fact, you are both doing what is expected and correct in your own culture!

edit on 24-10-2012 by Bluesma because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 24 2012 @ 11:05 AM
link   
Anyone living in Denver can attest, with over 320 days of sunshine a year (most of any state capitol on average) the sterotype of Colorado as "snow" is really just for the mountains, where snow belongs.

The OP is funny though, like South Park is funny; sterotypical satire.

God Bless,

posted on Oct, 24 2012 @ 11:08 AM
link   
Here is a great video from a thread about Zombies

I think it's a good insight into "The World According To Americans" - It's kind of funny and sad

posted on Oct, 24 2012 @ 12:13 PM
link   
The french people are rude. They have no idea what a queue is (a line), and have a aire of arrogance amongst them.

I worked there for a few months. right in paris. I didn't enjoy it much.

Beautiful city though, and my collegues were good enough...so like anywhere, once you get to know em person to person, they are fine, but the culture as a whole is..ya...steriotype confirmed imo by my experiences..and this was before I knew of the steriotype...only understanding of france was through some movies which made them seem poetic more than a bunch of asses...

I think the comparison comes from many years living in the southern US small town environment...lot of pretend happy people, manners, etc..France seems to just disregard the false pretense that everyone is friendly...I might feel the same way visiting some major US city also..but to me, this was a culture shock in general attitude and atmosphere..

When I lived over in England, I didn't find that resenting feel in London...bit stand offish, sure, but not rude..quite the opposite actually. detatched and polite.

If I would recommend vacations or places to live outside of the US, I would say definately the UK, (only minor culture shock experienced there...otherwise, felt like living in the northeast), or almost anywhere in Italy (good atmosphere, great food)

Avoid Egypt. feels like invaders took over the whole place and your walking on eggshells when wandering around Cairo.

But certainly, if your living in the US, get a passport and just go. Your entire worldview will change once you spend a few weeks somewhere else..get to know the locals, and just listen..don't speak much..just listen, observe, and immerse yourself.

posted on Oct, 24 2012 @ 12:16 PM
link   

It is always interesting to me, that when the American government decides to go to war, it IS a holy war and no one sees that.
The Americans believe God is on their side and if they have decided to go to war it is for GOOD versus the EVIL that are always anyone else making the same move, and is alway what anyone we don't like is.

The military has official priests in place to ask God to intervene and make the American side win. Basically it reminds me of the official churches and their condemnation of anyone that is not one of them...we are good they are evil, God is with us and loves us NOT them

posted on Oct, 24 2012 @ 12:21 PM
link   

Somebody forgot to paint a picture of Sarah Palin standing in Alaska and pointing at Russia. The whole first page gave me a good laugh. I think it is funny because it does represent how arrogant, self-centered people see the world, i.e., Americans. Although I am sure the rest of the world are also misled. Like Disneyland and stuff.

You would have to chalk some of that misrepresentation about others up to indoctrination by your government and media. I spent my entire childhood reenacting Cowboys and Indians, and "play" war with the "communists" who were commies, reds or Viet Cong.

Now I know different. People are people the world over. If you don't take the time to understand that there are only differences of culture, ethnicity and religion, then sign the dotted line, the US government has a job for you.

posted on Oct, 24 2012 @ 12:22 PM
link   
reply to post by ANOK

Oh the Scandinavia countries have it going on !

oh man I really want to move there now , Sweden has the best democracy and hot girls ! and the best scientific literacy why wouldn't you want to live there ?

Or the Netherlands, do even have to say why !

posted on Oct, 24 2012 @ 12:26 PM
link   
reply to post by SaturnFX

I have to admit, that I don't generally as a rule ever, like as in never ever stick up for the French... *wipes brow* *deep breath" but honestly Parisiennes are like another type of people altogether, especially the rude part, they have that down to a fine art, which seems to equally appal most other French people.. the rural areas they are a lot nicer, it is a shame you didn't get to see that..

*wipes brow again while muttering something about sticking up for the French and needing a drink to deal with the shock*

posted on Oct, 24 2012 @ 12:50 PM
link   
When the EQ/tsunami/nuclear crap I don't even want to think about, happened... along with the stories about human tragedy and triumph were came questions about the prices of electronics.

I do sadly think that a good deal too many Americans, think this way of the world.
edit on 24-10-2012 by Kali74 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 24 2012 @ 12:52 PM
link   

That's pretty funny, OP.

Here are some very similar ones and since I don't feel like re-posting all the pics in here I hope you don't mind a thread link. View of Europe according to various countries, including Americans down on the bottom.

Although I think the Brits in this thread may enjoy it more.

According to...

Khar

posted on Oct, 24 2012 @ 01:06 PM
link   
What's REALLY funny is those who think they are rising above the stereotypes and are spouting the BS themselves.
After having moved here.. I can see the "dive bars and serial killers" area as a hilarious stereotype of this region though!

When speaking of Americans as a whole and making pronouncements about Americans, I think the resentment comes in with your ignorance about "Americans". The US is huge and there are all kinds of different people, so sweeping statements are usually seen as blatant ignorance. Its as absurd as saying, "all Eastern Indians... " or "Europeans". Just because you have been to one region or met a few people it does NOT represent "Americans". Our government certainly doesnt represent us and I have NO idea why youd think it does. You see the squeaky wheels on TV, but most Americans are not like the weird ideas I see here and we certainly are not our government. Its kind of like your sympathy for Iranians and understanding they are not their government, but being too ignorant or hateful to see America in the same way. Youre the same type as the stupid Americans who say BOMB IRAN and kill em all. Its a very shallow and childish world view.

I have NO idea where some folks have met these " 'Merica #1 folks" or why youd hang out with them.. or why youd be so silly to think that represents an entire country! I have met VERY FEW of those 'Merica folks, I was born and raised here, and I certainly wouldnt have them within my circle of friends. Theyre the fools seen on film and news.. and if you swallow the news for your world view thats sad. Dont buy into what youre being fed. You are as deluded as the 'Merica folks you seem to think are representative of all of us. I dont hang out with idiots or trash, maybe seek better people to get a good idea about Americans.. since you seem so overly obsessed with Americans and what they are. Im confident that all Canadians arent the Trailer Park Boys, Keeping up Appearances doesnt represent all British, and I wonder why some of you form your opinions on a country concerning the funny sterotypes. You realize they arent to be taken seriously, dont you? LOL!!

I have been all over the world.. and I have never had a problem with anyone in any other countries and they have never had a problem with me. France.. they arent snooty, just different.Different in different regions. "The French are _____" is a ridiculous statement. England ( lived around a yr in London) the people are GREAT! No, everyone doesnt have horrible teeth and not all of the women look like Charles' pet horse, Camilla. India.. wonderful country and I truly love the people. Germany. the people were just people. Several SA countries.. wonderful people.Greece.. I love the people.ETC, ETC. I guess I got these impressions because I didnt choose to befriend or deal with the trash or seek out the lowest to form my opinions nor did I swallow the propaganda and lies concerning the people of other countries.. and I certainly havent taken the word of the media or film.

posted on Oct, 24 2012 @ 01:14 PM
link   
It's not provocative, it's humorous. There have been many joke maps like this made, this isn't the funniest one out there either.

How we view Europe:

edit on 10/24/2012 by Drezden because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join