It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The World According To Americans?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 23 2012 @ 12:15 PM
link   

I admit it, i just wanted to post the map because of its provocative nature. But on serious note, it raised a few questions for me.

Is this really how a large percentage of americans perceive the world - Stereotypes? Or is it just the stereotypical perception the "world" has of americans?

Is it only the view of a minority, the political elite - trickling down ideology?

The striking thing about tonight's US Presidential "foreign policy" debate, is when it did occasionally discuss foreign policy, the world out there was discussed not as a place of vast potential, but as a deeply disturbing place full of foreigners who are, apparently, all evil except the Israelis, who are perfect.

The vast benefits from cooperation and trade with "abroad" were not mentioned once that I noticed (though I confess the thing was so awful my attention wandered occasionally). Europe apparently doesn't exist, other than Greece which is nothing more than a terrible warning of the dangers of not being right wing enough.

The correct attitude to all these foreigners that God so unfortunately and inexplicably placed on this planet, is apparently to maintain incredibly large armed forces, murder people with drones (they were both very enthusiastic on this one), place sanctions on them and declare them "currency manipulators". The only surprising note was that both agreed that they could not kill everyone in Iran.

But "We can't just kill our way out of this mess" was spoken with regret, rather than as an affirmation of the possibilities of cooperation instead. What a grim and joyless world view...

Those Despicable Foreigners

How important is cultural diversity for the average american?

Without the attribute the "greatest" and the title "leader of the free world", could america be america - again?

posted on Oct, 23 2012 @ 12:19 PM
link   
Is anything ever as simplistic as portrayed by a stereotype?

Meh.

posted on Oct, 23 2012 @ 12:21 PM
link   
reply to post by talklikeapirat

Well this is obviously a giant generalization of about 300 millions people. I saw this map in the US and was most likely made by someone from the states. I'm sure there are some people who are obviously very uneducated and are ignorant to world around them

posted on Oct, 23 2012 @ 12:27 PM
link   
Is it really that far off?

I mean South American coffee is the best. Kangaroos are in Australia. Canada is uninhabited. Bombs do go to the middle east, I know everytime I call support I get someone in India, Russians and Chinese are communists, and Europeans are ....

The only problem seems to be that for Mexico "drugs come from here" or "chops heads off people" would have been more appropriate. For Africa "Obama came from here" would have worked.

Sorry - couldn't resist.

posted on Oct, 23 2012 @ 12:32 PM
link   

caricature
Definition
car·i·ca·ture[ kárrəkə chr ]car·i·ca·tures Plural

NOUN
1. comic exaggeration: a drawing, description, or performance that exaggerates somebody's or something's characteristics for humorous or satirical effect

posted on Oct, 23 2012 @ 12:33 PM
link   
reply to post by crawdad1914

It is funny and I think it has a basis in fact for a large percentage of my Countrymen.

posted on Oct, 23 2012 @ 12:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by ararisq

For Africa "Obama came from here" would have worked.

Sorry - couldn't resist.

Now that is funny!!

posted on Oct, 23 2012 @ 12:49 PM
link   

Excellent!! I love the map! Is the rest of the world so concerned with what Americans think? Sounds like fatgirl syndrom. Isn't it odd that the rest of the world only complains about the US? The US did not make this a popularity contest, the rest of the world (Europe) did. I think the last presidential election was a mandate that is quite the contrary to your post. It would seem that nationalism is only dead in the United States.

posted on Oct, 23 2012 @ 12:52 PM
link   
I always liked this one better.

I've never been to those places, so I can't confirm that there not be dragons there.

posted on Oct, 23 2012 @ 12:54 PM
link   
The thing I like about the yanks is that they can take the piss out of themselves - this was sent to me from one of my mates in the US..........admittedly I am not privy to all the nuances contained therein but she thought it was hilarious and somewhat accurate.

Here's us..............

posted on Oct, 23 2012 @ 12:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by eNumbra
I always liked this one better.

I've never been to those places, so I can't confirm that there not be dragons there.

I have been to those places...

But will not confirm nor deny that there are dragons there as that topic is above my pay grade.

I would suggest that you send the FOIO a request for information. But if you do...

He will not confirm nor deny that there are dragons there as that topic is above his pay grade.

posted on Oct, 23 2012 @ 01:01 PM
link   
reply to post by Sublimecraft

Well, you did have Steve.

He was cool in my book.

posted on Oct, 23 2012 @ 01:07 PM
link   
I think it is exaggerrated, but has a basis in fact. There IS a large part of the population that has this sort of view.

This characature, by the way, came out of the US, and has been exchanged between Americans for a long time.
I'm in Europe, and honestly, the people here don't seem to have much of an idea how wide spread or serious the ignorance is in my homeland!
-Just trying to point out that this isn't a case of non-Americans mocking them ......because we tend to jump to the conclusion that we are hated by everyone else rather quickly, them being "jealous of our freedoms"

That kind of dumbass comment comes out of the mouths (or keyboards) of a large proportion of Americans, and every time I see it, I thank god that it is often in forums that not too many foriegners will see or hear. It is embarrassing.
Thank god the relatives I have that are prone to that kind of ignorance are also the ones that have never been out of their country and never will come visit us. But isn't that the way it always is? The people who are the most outspoken and opinionated on a subject are always the ones who actually know the least about it?

posted on Oct, 23 2012 @ 01:10 PM
link   
I find this thread hysterically funny.

I am a firm believer that some states need to be broken off into their own countries. Being a person who lived most of her life in a northern state, I have lived in several parts of the country.

My own personal belief is that people who live in the deep south, need a country of their own. lawlessness of sorts still exists, and it seemed to me that when I lived there, they want to just do things their way..........LOL because I am thinking that with a southern drawwwwwwwwwwwwwwllllllllll.

The US has been in fact, still divided since the civil war in many areas.

When I lived in the south, I was referred to as the Yankee "B"

It's really sad to me that the world lumps us all together.

I say let the confederates have their own country. They still espouse it, anyway.

posted on Oct, 23 2012 @ 01:13 PM
link   
reply to post by ararisq

[...] and Europeans are ....

Why exactly? I'm seriously curious about this.
If there really is a basis for these stereotypes, what is it?
What makes you think "Europeans" are pussies?
And who are those "Europeans" anyways? I'm German, not "European".

edit on 23-10-2012 by ColCurious because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 23 2012 @ 01:20 PM
link   
reply to post by ColCurious

Seriously? You're going to allow that to get under your skin? I think he was joking.

Maybe he's just one of those ignorant fools a member was referring to in a previous post.

Though I must say. . . .

Just kidding

posted on Oct, 23 2012 @ 01:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by ColCurious
reply to post by ararisq

I think the general population thinks Europeans are pussies, because of the french... haha. No just kidding man. Actually, if you ask multiple people here in the states where Germany is on a map, they will fail miserably. Oh and they won't know the capital either. Its really sad.
Most people here only care about thier IPHONES and Jersey shore... (well at least the folks my age, I'm 24)

posted on Oct, 23 2012 @ 01:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by ColCurious
reply to post by ararisq

OH! OH! I know! I hear it often enough!

See many Americans think "europe" is France. (they also often think France has one city-Paris).
Since WW2, they have harbored and nurtured the idea that the french are weak pussies, as they let the Germans come in and take them over (twice, in fact), and needed to be saved by the Americans (not the Allies, of course, only Americans).

The french do tend to be very concerned with human rights and trying to avoid conflicts, and that alone is often seen as "weak".

posted on Oct, 23 2012 @ 01:31 PM
link   
super old, but very true and very funny

posted on Oct, 23 2012 @ 01:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by Bluesma
I think it is exaggerrated, but has a basis in fact. There IS a large part of the population that has this sort of view.

This characature, by the way, came out of the US, and has been exchanged between Americans for a long time.
I'm in Europe, and honestly, the people here don't seem to have much of an idea how wide spread or serious the ignorance is in my homeland!
-Just trying to point out that this isn't a case of non-Americans mocking them ......because we tend to jump to the conclusion that we are hated by everyone else rather quickly, them being "jealous of our freedoms"

That kind of dumbass comment comes out of the mouths (or keyboards) of a large proportion of Americans, and every time I see it, I thank god that it is often in forums that not too many foriegners will see or hear. It is embarrassing.
Thank god the relatives I have that are prone to that kind of ignorance are also the ones that have never been out of their country and never will come visit us. But isn't that the way it always is? The people who are the most outspoken and opinionated on a subject are always the ones who actually know the least about it?

How does such a well rounded individual get carried away so easily in stereotypes? Just saying.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join