India prepares to kick Monsanto to the curb

page: 1

join

posted on Oct, 23 2012 @ 11:31 AM
link   
This would be a tough one as the country also plays the role of a 'bread basket' for certain continents of the world. How else would the demand for crops be met for both domestic consumption and export markets? Surely nobody likes the idea of patented GM crops. This is another form of monopoly and it will actually handicap and diminish the traditional form of farming.

Sounding what some regard as the death knell for the development of genetically modified food crops in India, a high-profile parliamentary panel last week recommended that GM crop “field trials under any garb should be discontinued forthwith,” and that agricultural GM research should “only be done under strict containment.” If implemented, the report’s recommendations would paralyze research and erode India’s food security, warns India’s chief of crop research.
LINK

posted on Oct, 24 2012 @ 02:14 PM
link   
Here is a reply for you

How about, maybe, just maybe...people stop listening and reading the junk science studies known as epidimiology.

That maybe, just maybe....epidimiology should be used only as it was intended to be used. That is when the results of a study result in an increase of relative risk by over 200 % and preferably 300 %, the results should first be duplicated to see if the first result was biased in someway. If the first study can be confirmed....then and only then should research dollars be allocated to determine if the biologic pathway by which the substance causes cancer can be confirmed.

Then maybe - we the hard working public who are paying for all this # can save the money it would take to ban GMOs and pay more for our food. Or if the results of the research identify a pathway - then we can make concrete decisions.

Can you tell me HOW GMO food - which is processed first by our digestive system with a high acid content to destroy DNA, CAUSES this cancer. No????? Then shut up until you can.

Tired of Control Freaks

posted on Oct, 24 2012 @ 03:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by TiredofControlFreaks
Can you tell me HOW GMO food - which is processed first by our digestive system with a high acid content to destroy DNA, CAUSES this cancer. No????? Then shut up until you can.

Well why dont you enlighten me...if you think you're the enlightened one
Or you can shut up if you can't explain either

posted on Oct, 24 2012 @ 03:24 PM
link   

Tired of Control Freaks

To answer your question, but i cant be 100% for GMO products, but your body breaks down certain substances into carcinogens.

Example. Sweetener is theorized to break down into Formaldehyde in the body which is cancer causing.

Acetaldehyde is a possible cancer-causing (carcinogenic) compound that occurs naturally in alcoholic beverages and many foods such as bananas and yogurt. It may also be added to fruit-flavored foods.

Although the Center for Disease Control has not found acetaldehyde to be a carcinogen,[1] it may be wise to limit your exposure to this naturally-occurring chemical compound that is typically found in alcoholic beverages. This is even more important, since acetaldehyde present in alcoholic beverages and formed from ethanol endogenously has recently been classified by IARC as a group 1 carcinogen for humans.

There is a possibility that alcoholic beverages may cause cancer of the oral cavity, esophagus, stomach, and other components of the gastrointestinal tract. Luckily, people who enjoy alcoholic beverages can limit their exposure to acetaldehyde

Link

posted on Oct, 24 2012 @ 03:57 PM
link   

Not all DNA is destroyed in animals digestion process. (want the sources?) Pregnant women in Canada have the working GM toxins in their bodies. Take a look at the rat tumours reported just last week, excuse my ignorance but finally I must ask "what is the definition of a troll?"

posted on Oct, 24 2012 @ 08:06 PM
link   
reply to post by hp1229

YOU are the original poster - it is up to you to prove or disprove your opinion or theory - not me!

If I eat fish - I am ok. If I eat tomatoes - I am ok. If I eat fish and tomatoes together - I am ok. But somehow or other, when I eat tomatoes that are genetically modified with fish dNA - I get cancer????

HOW?

Tired of Control Freaks

posted on Oct, 24 2012 @ 08:09 PM
link   
reply to post by MDDoxs

Now I am more confused then ever! So aldacthyde is NOT a carcinogen but I should avoid it anyway. If aldactehyde is NOT carcinogen, why should I limit the amount of yogurt I eat???

Got anything else for me to be afraid of?

Tired of Control Freaks

posted on Oct, 25 2012 @ 01:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Peter Brake

Actually Peter - I am not a troll. I am asking an honest question here. As my signature says....I am beyond tired of the control freaks, who use fear, on top of fear, with a side helping of fear, to control other people's behavior for the sake of money, money, money.

There are people who never do any actual work in their whole lifetimes. What they do is jump on an issue, raise public awareness of the issue by promoting fear and then ask for donations so that they can "represent" the public on this issue.

I strongly suggest that GMO is such an issue. Now - don't get me wrong. I think the real issue with GMO is the practice of patenting GMO seeds and then requiring farmers to use them. Especially terminator seeds. But one of the tactics to fight Monsanto is to make the public afriad to eat the food.

My intentions on ATS is to challenge all those who spread fear to prove their claims!

So - When I was conceived, my mother and father ate food and plant dna and that food and plant dna nourished my body. I have been eating food and plant dna all my life. My body is sustained by food and plant dna.

And I ask the question...I can eat fish and tomatoes together. Sometimes even on the same fork and in the same bite. According to your post...some dna of fish and tomatoes will survive the digestion process (which, if it happens now...has always happened) without any harm to me. But you want me to believe that if I eat a tomatoe that has fish dna in it....some of the gmo dna (comprised of both fish and tomatoe dna) will survive, only now...its not harmless...it will cause cancer?

Please explain.

Tired of Control Freaks

posted on Oct, 25 2012 @ 01:28 PM
link   

reply to post by hp1229

YOU are the original poster - it is up to you to prove or disprove your opinion or theory - not me!

If I eat fish - I am ok. If I eat tomatoes - I am ok. If I eat fish and tomatoes together - I am ok. But somehow or other, when I eat tomatoes that are genetically modified with fish dNA - I get cancer????

HOW?

Tired of Control Freaks

I know the good side of GMO as well, i was doing Biotech(primarily playing with e coli and jellyfish DNA) during my bachelors as Microbiologist.

But when you mix DNA A and DNA B or rather integrate them.. you will have a totally new one, DNA AB, it is not the same anymore. The main reason people have this phobia is because they don't know what the new content of the DNA AB is.. and even if a research proves that its safe, people will ask for long term results.. which is pretty much impossible.

But you can't hate the people fearing it.. its an old trait, fearing the unknown.
edit on 10/25/2012 by luciddream because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 25 2012 @ 06:05 PM
link   
reply to post by luciddream

Luciddream

I don't hate people who fear something. Its normal to fear the unknown. I hate the people who exploit fear to fun and profit.

It possible that no one knows the long term effect of eating altered DNA. My instinct tells me that we eat just about anything we can fit in our mouths, mostly without harm and I doubt that altered DNA will cause a difference.

However, we already know the short term effect of starvation! GMO offers avenues for increased crop yield at lower prices.

Tired of Control Freaks

top topics

join