It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Mormon Pastor

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 23 2012 @ 11:28 AM
link   
I trust my Pastor with personal issues and value his worsd. If my Pastor lied to me, or constantly changed his doctrine if things got unpopular, I'd be outta there... It seems very strange that someone who acted as a Pastor to a congregation that calls itself Christian would change his storyline so drastically as the election is nearing the end.. I think that is very telling. I don't agree with Obama on social things, but I simply don't trust Romney... What he says now, how do we know he'll say that in February if elected. What must BeBe Netanyahu think about him? Obama ticks him off sometimes, but at least he knows where Obama stands. Romney said a few weeks ago that it was a horrible mistake for Obama to name a date certain for withdrawl from afghanistan. Now he says he agrees with the President. He said he would fight for " A womans right to choose.." Now he's Pro Life.. He said he wanted RomneyCare to be a nationwide model, and now He's against ObamaCare and the nationwide mandate.. Oh and he's taken that pesky line saying that the individual mandate should be nationwide out of his book... A Pastor? Would you be under his leadership as a member? I would be devastated if my Pastor acted like that... This is not an Ad for Obama, but a reality check.. I dare someone to say that they would stay at a church if their Pastor did those things.. If you are a Christian, and have the same values I do, what do you think?... If you don't believe in those values, you can choose another thread to comment on.. But I want to hear from Christians... Not anything about Obama, but about what you would do if your Pastor acted like this.. Despite what you think about Obama, why would you choose Romney as President?
edit on 23-10-2012 by sensible1 because: spl

posted on Oct, 23 2012 @ 11:35 AM
link   
reply to post by sensible1

First of all are there Pastors in the Mormon religion?

You are bringing your own take on Christianity into the whole issue, which is wrong.

Nice try though.

en.wikipedia.org...(Latter_Day_Saints)

They are referred to as Bishops.

posted on Oct, 23 2012 @ 11:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by Sissel

They are referred to as Bishops.

And they are volunteers.

And they are just one of the members.

posted on Oct, 23 2012 @ 11:49 AM
link   
Gov Romney referred to HIMSELF as a Pastor in debate #2. They are LayLeaders.. As I am an Ordained minister myself, I know exactly what I am talking about.. This is not the point... I am talking about Credibility and Character issues here..,.

posted on Oct, 23 2012 @ 11:49 AM
link   

Many religious leaders are capable and fine with lying to the masses in order to promote what they think is God's will. For our own good, of course, they are totally willing to legislate laws based on religion and to force all of us to submit to their beliefs of what they think is right and what is wrong, based of archaic literature.

posted on Oct, 23 2012 @ 11:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by sensible1
Gov Romney referred to HIMSELF as a Pastor in debate #2. They are LayLeaders.. As I am an Ordained minister myself, I know exactly what I am talking about.. This is not the point... I am talking about Credibility and Character issues here..,.

Anybody can be an ordained minister. My boyfriend has a certificate hanging on his wall that he paid $5.00 or so for...LOL

ulc.net...

So, what's your point?

If I send in five bucks, I can be a minister tomorrow, too!
edit on 23-10-2012 by Sissel because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 23 2012 @ 11:56 AM
link   
reply to post by Sissel

OMG! I didn't know how easy it is to become ordained! I know what I giving my atheist daughter for Christmas!

posted on Oct, 23 2012 @ 12:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by windword

Many religious leaders are capable and fine with lying to the masses in order to promote what they think is God's will. For our own good, of course, they are totally willing to legislate laws based on religion and to force all of us to submit to their beliefs of what they think is right and what is wrong, based of archaic literature.

Atheists and non bible believers don't have the assumptions to really comment here in context..

posted on Oct, 23 2012 @ 12:15 PM
link   
reply to post by windword

Again.. those who just try to mock Christ have no context in here other than to be a troll.. while I defend your right to speak, you are adding nothing to a sincere dialogue about Christian values and Faith. there are many threads mocking Christians and Christianity.. Please go join one.

posted on Oct, 23 2012 @ 12:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by windword

Atheists and non bible believers don't have the assumptions to really comment here in context..

LOL!

What "assumptions" are prerequisite for acceptable comments "here?"

Mitt Romney has lied and changed directions so fast he should be getting treatment for whiplash. He is a willfully lying religious leader, masquerading as a pious do gooder, looking out for your best interests.

Catholic Popes are lying politicians pretending to be men of God. Televangelists are lying, greasy salesmen selling fear and fake promises for dollars.

posted on Oct, 23 2012 @ 12:23 PM
link   

Again.. those who just try to mock Christ have no context in here other than to be a troll.. while I defend your right to speak, you are adding nothing to a sincere dialogue about Christian values and Faith. there are many threads mocking Christians and Christianity.. Please go join one.

You are wrong, because in no way did this person say they were a non-believer. I am Christian, and the whole point of my post in saying how easy it is to be certified, only goes to show how many religious leaders out there who fool people have obtained dicey credentials.

If you want to shoot the messenger, it would be me.

You just need to be aware how many fraudsters there are out there.....I have been duped by people who have credentials and absolutely zero concept of Christianity.

Really, my post as how easy it is to come off as being a good guy in religion is easy to do. Let the buyers in faith beware.

My boyfriend got the certificate as a joke, however, he went and registered it with the state, and he can perform marriages, officiate funerals........etc

Lot's of wolves in sheep's clothing out there.

posted on Oct, 23 2012 @ 12:25 PM
link   

I have said nothing here to mock your "Christ." I mock your Christian leaders.

edit on 23-10-2012 by windword because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 23 2012 @ 12:36 PM
link   

I think that it is a poor analogy. Romney is not a pastor or a bishop, he is a politician, and you are simply trying to undo him with a higher standard than that which you hold for his opponent. Didn't obama say that he was premature in setting a pull-out date for Afghanistan? Politicians are beholden to their constituents, pastors and bishops are beholden to God. If you value your Christian values, vote your values- I think the choice is obvious. Or vote for the candidate that has pandered to the muslim faith, in contempt of what he claims to be his own faith.

posted on Oct, 23 2012 @ 12:43 PM
link   
reply to post by onthedownlow

Romney IS a former Bishop of the Mormon Church. As a Bishop, he had to undergo certain initiation levels and oaths to his God, his church and his congregation. I do not believe that he abandoned his oaths to become a politician. I believe he became a politician to further his oaths.

edit on 23-10-2012 by windword because: spelling

posted on Oct, 23 2012 @ 01:58 PM
link   

As a politician, he is not acting in the role of bishop, but I must assume that he will act in-line with his Christian values. As president, he would not be preaching to the flock, but looking for a common ground that can gently be swayed to the right. As a Mormon myself, it is never my intentions to impress my values upon others, and even though I do not always agree with others ideologies, I believe that we can find a common ground that is advantageous to both- and maybe through example, I can inspire others to find influence through my beliefs. Either way, I reside within the law of the land, not the other way around- though I uphold the values and principals that are dear to me in my personal life. I expect that a politician will try to find a concensus on the greater good and then work towards that greater good- in a country that has been pushed so far to the left, it will take a strong yet compromising leader to direct the country back towards the center (and eventually to the right, hopefully). Romney will act as President of the United States first, only beholden to his values in his personal life- as evident by his tenure as govenor. Just to be clear, Romney was not my first choice, but he is the clear choice in the options presently being presented

posted on Oct, 23 2012 @ 04:00 PM
link   
Or maybe Romney sees the two as separate issues ("render unto Caesar what is Caesar's...")

Perhaps Romney's religious commitments apply to him personally, his wealth, his time and efforts, and perhaps his desire to govern the country is driven by a desire to help steer the country in a direction that ~1/2 of everyone else seems to think is a good idea.

I think the liberals kept this "Mormon" ammo in reserve, in case things got too close. Why now, days before the election in a really tight race, is everyone all of a sudden so excited about Romney's crazy religion? There's no accidents in politics, as the saying goes.

Obviously Romney's religion wasn't an issue getting him to this point. So the reality is that LDS people are normal everyday folks. They are generally nice. They generally give of their time and money to help others. They generally keep their yards looking nice. They generally don't have much trouble with the cops. You know, NORMAL.

Go after Romney for being a rich fat cat, or Bain, or something else. You lose traction with alot of folks when you start spewing accusations worthy of a witch trial rather than intelligent political debate.

posted on Oct, 23 2012 @ 04:19 PM
link   

I am talking about Credibility and Character issues here..,.

The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

Romney has changed his positions on some issues, yes. However, if changing your stated position equals "credibility and character issues", then how do you feel about bald faced lies and abandonment of promises? Obama has done a lot more than simply change his positions... Guantanimo is still open, the middle class (yes, those of us making less than $200K per year) are staring at the absolute largest tax increase in the history of this nation, we interjected ourselves in Libya, the Patriot Act has become a far greater mennace and monster than it ever was under Bush, Obama has taken absolutely NO responsibility for anything and has incessantly blamed his predecessor for every negative issue facing the average American, Obamacare is increasing the out of pocket expenses of every middle class family, Obamacare wasn't a tax until it was in jeopardy of being tossed by the SCOTUS... then it quickly became a tax.

I could go on all day with Obama LIES, deceptions, and broken promise after broken promise.

Now OP, do you still wish to press the concept that a shift in positions and an evolution of priorities somehow is more eggregious than the above listed dog and pony sham we've witnessed for the past 4 years? If so, I can certainly continue to throw fistfulls of dirt (in the form of listing this administration's deceits) onto the grave of the sitting president's sainthood.

ETA: The only "value" a politician should have is that of standing to defend what the majority of his constituents want. So far, it can be argued that Romney's shifts have been in response to the change in climate of America's people. Imagine that, an elected representative who actually listens to the wishes of the people who elected him...

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

edit on 23-10-2012 by burdman30ott6 because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join