It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ryan: "I just don't understand" bayonet remark

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 23 2012 @ 07:12 PM
link   
reply to post by MystikMushroom

Where did you get that info?

From 500 yards, every Marine is accurate with a rifle. Attach the OKC-3S Bayonet, and the weapon becomes just as effective in close combat situations. Also a Marine's multi-purpose fighting knife, the OKC-3S is the weapon of choice when shots can't be fired. Every Marine receives bayonet training in the Marine Corps Martial Arts Program (MCMAP) and on the Bayonet Assault Course in Recruit Training.

www.marines.com...

posted on Oct, 23 2012 @ 07:13 PM
link   
reply to post by butcherguy

Guess what, butcherguy... I don't need to 'read up' on bayonets.

I was trained in their use(lessness)

posted on Oct, 23 2012 @ 07:15 PM
link   
Because when I think of Afghanistan, this is what I picture our soldiers doing...naturally.

link   
reply to post by masqua

These days, with automatic weapons, it's far easier to just shoot a few rounds rather than sticking your assault rifle into an enemy combatant and then having to do the 'struggling to pull it out again' dance.

Oh, I almost forgot.

What kind of weapon never runs out of ammo?

It must be the one that you have, you know, the one that you just shoot a few more rounds out of....

Ammo supplies run out sometimes, believe it or not.

The People's Liberation Army still use those special 'knives' that we call bayonets. They train with them too. I guess that must be good, since I am hearing on ATS that the Chinese armed forces can wipe the floor with US soldiers.

link   
reply to post by Ben81

Wow......you seriously think he was saying he didn't understand that?

He was saying Obamas analogy made no sense.

The op lied about what Ryan meant.

posted on Oct, 23 2012 @ 07:17 PM
link   
What a bunch of semantic crap. I guess it is the job of the liberal to whine and nit-pick non-issues. The argument isn't about the technology of ships or bayonets being used, it's about the weakness of our current Navy. Nothing more, nothing less. Comparing it to the amount in the 1900s is just ONE small inconsequential way of gauging the size of our current Navy, not an end-all benchmark for the amount we SHOULD have. I think what Ryan is trying to say is, who cares about bayonets and horses, all we are trying to say is that our Navy needs funding.

I don't really support military spending, we've been above and beyond the call of duty for years - especially in the Navy. I don't support either candidate. I'm just trying to re-align the argument so Obama supporters can wipe that irritating smirk off their face whenever they think he finally does do something right. I think the smug condescending attitude of Obama during the debate resounds with a lot of his supporters which seem to act in the same manner.
edit on 23-10-2012 by LiberLegit because: (no reason given)

link   
reply to post by timetothink

Perhaps first-hand accounts from actual retired Marines?

Look, I know that the LWH comes off when your not in battle, but the imaginary indoctrination helmet seems to stick around for some.

Name one battle since the Korean war where American soldiers have participated in a bayonet charge?

link   

posted on Oct, 23 2012 @ 07:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by masqua

Guess what, butcherguy... I don't need to 'read up' on bayonets.

I was trained in their use(lessness)

You have said enough for me to know that your training was a waste of time.

I don't need to guess.

Did you receive training with those magical (movie) assault rifles that never run out of bullets too?

edit on 23-10-2012 by butcherguy because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 23 2012 @ 07:21 PM
link   
The fact that this is even an issue can only mean one thing.

I give people way to much credit.

The argument over the meaning of his words is hilarious
and at the same time sad.

posted on Oct, 23 2012 @ 07:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by timetothink
reply to post by Logarock

And the 80s were before we were scrapping with desert rats in the Mideast in the sand. Bad analogies all over this thread.

I think your racist one takes the cake!

Now onto some good news!

Looks like we have these guys in production!

Under-construction Gerald R. Ford-class aircraft carriers:
Gerald R. Ford (CVN-78)
John F. Kennedy (CVN-79)
Unnamed Carrier (CVN-80)

Wikipedia Linky Thing

Edit to add: the CVN-78 will join the fleet in 2015.

Unless we are facing another countries convential Navy, I think we'll be OK.
edit on 23-10-2012 by MystikMushroom because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 23 2012 @ 07:24 PM
link   
reply to post by masqua

So because YOU think they are useless, that means that the military doesn't use them?

They use them, it's a fact whether you agree or not. Check the marine website yourself.

None of it changes the fact that again Obama lied, we have more bayonets in the military now than 1916, and his analogy sucked.

Also the point of his statement was to compare the uselessness of bayonets and horses to the Navy. His whole mission is to cut the military.

posted on Oct, 23 2012 @ 07:27 PM
link   

The one thing that really stuck in my mind, from my time in the forces and bayonet training, was that, if you bayonet somebody, don't try to twist it out because the guy you stuck it in is going to be doubled over and grabbing onto the rifle, making it really tough to pull out. It's pure instinct for someone to clutch the rifle.

The way to get it out is to pull the trigger and make that effort easier. Upshot is; save yourself a step and pull the trigger first.

posted on Oct, 23 2012 @ 07:28 PM
link   
reply to post by MystikMushroom

Who the heck said anything about a bayonet charge? You are really reaching.

The military uses bayonets....Obama lied...get over it.

Does it have to be a charge to use one for defense? Wow.

edit on 23-10-2012 by timetothink because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 23 2012 @ 07:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by timetothink
"The ships are gone"

Those in the know say we need at least 300 water vessels for our Navy to be safe and effective.

There are 12 carriers, by law. Today they are all nuclear powered. The last two conventional carriers, Kennedy and Kitty Hawk, were decommissioned several years ago; my son-in-law decommissioned both ships.

After all arrangements were made to decommission Kitty, he was instructed to call the ceremony something else because its replacement had not passed sea trials and therefore the Navy would violate the law by having only 11 operating carriers.

So they had a legend ceremony.

Shortly after, only the CO and one or two sailors remained. Four months later the last crew member, the CO, received a message to transfer from the ship. So for four months the Navy had a commissioned carrier, dead and no crew.

Now to the meat. If you were to ask our citizens "How big is our U.S. Navy?" you would receive all kinds of answers. Most would be large numbers, like 1,000 ships. Actually, it is 278, plus or minus -- the smallest number in some 80 years. There are 340 admirals, plus or minus a few.

The Sixth Fleet has one ship, and I don't think it has any guns or missiles. I'm not sure where that destroyer came from. The No. 1 one priority for our Navy, as demanded by the chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, Adm. Mullen, and the chief of naval operations, Adm. Roughead, is diversity. They are busy doing other things.

Our people have been put to sleep since the 1993 base closures, when the Navy lied to us about the size of the fleet. It was then 450, and nobody said anything when it dropped below 300. Where are the Kings, Halseys, Nimitzes and Burkes? We now have no warriors, only managers. James A. Kenney Capt., U.S. Navy (Retired)

www.postandcourier.com...

Those in the know....really?

You really meant to say...

"The military industrial complex wants to give their CEO's a raise (and higher dividends to stock holding congress) so they need to scare the sheep into thinking we need more weapons ...so they can steal more of our tax dollars by selling us over priced crap that we don't need.

C'mon man. You come right out of a comic book. The repubs are just playing the fearmonger/warmonger card to get money for the criminal friends and cronies. They are a dieing party and they know it. Soon, we will replace them. Fiscal responsibility and social freedom...

posted on Oct, 23 2012 @ 07:30 PM
link   
The whole thing didn't make sense to me either.

It was like he knew he was at a cliff, and had to get rude and condescending to appear he had the upper hand.

posted on Oct, 23 2012 @ 07:33 PM
link   

posted on Oct, 23 2012 @ 07:34 PM
link   

posted on Oct, 23 2012 @ 07:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by masqua

The one thing that really stuck in my mind, from my time in the forces and bayonet training, was that, if you bayonet somebody, don't try to twist it out because the guy you stuck it in is going to be doubled over and grabbing onto the rifle, making it really tough to pull out. It's pure instinct for someone to clutch the rifle.

The way to get it out is to pull the trigger and make that effort easier. Upshot is; save yourself a step and pull the trigger first.

Well, you are still bypassing the empty gun problem.

Oh, that's right, the hero's guns never go empty.... in the movies, or the Internet, apparently.

posted on Oct, 23 2012 @ 07:37 PM
link   
reply to post by Grimpachi

How did I twist anything, he's the one who said there are no bayonet charges in Afghanistan and even included a picture from brave heart......I called him on going overboard.

Your politics is blinding your judgement.

The armed forces use bayonets....fact.

They don't run charges......fact.

He was trying to say they must use bayonets because they don't run charges.

I said they are for defense.

You are trolling and picking a fight.

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join