It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ryan: "I just don't understand" bayonet remark

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 23 2012 @ 05:17 PM
link   
reply to post by camaro68ss

Now i'm confused, i thought they were talking about this "battleship"

More like: "N 6" "It's a Hit."

posted on Oct, 23 2012 @ 05:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by AwakeANDreaming
I happen to have a friend who "was' in the navy a few years ago. During these cuts he was released and is now a big Romney/Ryan supporter.

I had an argument recently with him because for the past four years we have been friends, he spent at least 10 hours a day online talking to women on the internet while being paid by the Federal Government to do it. It was ridiculous and he knows it but will not admit it to me.

I am not in full support of either candidate but this cut seems to be valid. I wanted to clarify I am not a HUGE Obama supporter and do my best to remain partial, but this hit home for me. When it was mentioned in the debate it was the very first thing that came to my mind.

posted on Oct, 23 2012 @ 05:31 PM
link   
that tell a lot about the guy
even a 5 yrs old kid would understand that remark
and he wants to be VP .. even Bush was more inteligent

The only thing he understand his how to look like a fool in a picutre

posted on Oct, 23 2012 @ 05:38 PM
link   
a modern u.s. aircraft carrier is a floating iron city, nothing short of a direct nuclear strike or a bunker buster could sink it.

but on the flip side, its main strength is also its biggest weakness. a direct hit on the deck with a conventional anti-ship missile would destroy the runway and the catapult system rendering it's biggest assets, the fighter planes, useless and taking it out of the battle for weeks until repaired.

to combat that, the range of the fighter jets has to be greater than the range of the anti-ship cruise missile.
edit on 23-10-2012 by randomname because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 23 2012 @ 05:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by captaintyinknots
Oh, and for the record:

According to the Washington Post, the U.S. Army discontinued bayonet instruction during basic training in 2010. Read more: newsfeed.time.com...

When I was in the service back in the 80s, we had a guy ask a vet sgt if we were going to train for bayonet fighting. The sgt said "son if they get that close you got a big problem. Just shoot them."

Anyway, Mitt did manage, for the sake of his base anyway, to play on the fear that our military may be sliping. Thats just classic republican stuff there.
edit on 23-10-2012 by Logarock because: b

posted on Oct, 23 2012 @ 05:57 PM
link   
reply to post by masqua

Kinda funny I just saw a current issue bayonet and it was a k-bar with a ring for mounting on your barrel. A bayonet is also handy to prevent the barrel from getting into mud and such.

posted on Oct, 23 2012 @ 06:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by randomname
a modern u.s. aircraft carrier is a floating iron city, nothing short of a direct nuclear strike or a bunker buster could sink it.

but on the flip side, its main strength is also its biggest weakness. a direct hit on the deck with a conventional anti-ship missile would destroy the runway and the catapult system rendering it's biggest assets, the fighter planes, useless and taking it out of the battle for weeks until repaired.

to combat that, the range of the fighter jets has to be greater than the range of the anti-ship cruise missile.
edit on 23-10-2012 by randomname because: (no reason given)

Which is exactly how the Russians and Chinese would attack us, by flying cruise missile armed TU-22s and 160s and fire from a very long range. Previously the F-14 was armed with the long range Phoenix air-to-air missile to combat this, but both the plane and the missile are no longer in service with the US Navy,

A lot of people have been using the word Battleship in reference not to the quote but to the actual type of ship. The US Navy currently has Zero battleships.

I am with Romney on this one, not only because of Obamas line(Ask a Marine or Infantryman if he would ever willingly goto battle without a blade, bayonet or a knife) but because Romney is closer to the truth. Sure we do not need as many ships as we did 100, 50 or even 25 years ago, but the truth is this: Much of what we do have is aging fast, and there are gaps that will appear until new models are ready for service, this will occur in Naval Aviation, in our Sub fleet and possibly other areas. People always ask whether we absolutely need such a large military. The reason we keep such an overwhelming force is to ensure that wars are short lived with minimal loss of blood and equipment. Sadly, they say people are always fighting the last war... Our forces were not equipped for long term actions as occupying and police forces and it is now trendy to question the value of technology that does not help the current war effort. But this current war is soon to be the last war, and it would be a costly mistake to assume we will only be fighting against terrorists and insurgents in the future.

posted on Oct, 23 2012 @ 06:08 PM
link   
If the enemy gets close enough for you to need a bayonet, then someone's massively screwed up somewhere.

posted on Oct, 23 2012 @ 06:13 PM
link   
reply to post by AngryCymraeg

Tell to the men of Harlech! Ok well they had bolt actions.

posted on Oct, 23 2012 @ 06:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by AngryCymraeg
If the enemy gets close enough for you to need a bayonet, then someone's massively screwed up somewhere.

Maybe so, but at least you have it and are trained to use it. You must admit Obama could have chosen a better analogy.

posted on Oct, 23 2012 @ 06:53 PM
link   
reply to post by Allegorical

Laugh all you want.....the military is issued bayonets......facts don't lie....people with agendas, however, do lie.

abcnews.go.com...

Army currently has 415,000 in its inventory.

Marines have 195,000.

With plans to purchase 175,000 more.

Now that the lies have been exposed, maybe you can stop deflecting and talk about what he really meant.

posted on Oct, 23 2012 @ 06:55 PM
link   
reply to post by captaintyinknots

And your president lies.....AND LIES.

posted on Oct, 23 2012 @ 07:01 PM
link   
reply to post by buster2010

Your whole op.......I am not going to quote a wall of text....click on where it says reply to and it will show you what I was replying to.

You totally misrepresented what he said and you know it.....twisted his words to suit your political leanings.

posted on Oct, 23 2012 @ 07:03 PM
link   
Of course he doesn't understand.

He probably thinks our troops in Afghanistan paint their faces blue and charge at the enemy with bayonets screaming, "FRRRREEEEEEEDOOOOOMMMM!"

I'm sorry, but the days of bayonet charges are over. I have seen more responses from actual military service members claiming that yes, they *may* have received 1 day of bayonet training in basic, but they always left them behind during deployment.

Listen, Fox News and the GOP are twisting the words in order to scare people into voting for the Republicans.

Nothing happens on this planet without the CIA/NSA/DOD/DHS knowing. We have "eyes in the skies" and fancy radar we aren't allowed to even know about. We also have these airplanes equiped with "stealth" technology so we can sneak a couple into enemy airspace instead of a whole armada.

Look, we talk about all the awesome stuff DARPA does and all the cool new military gear on ATS. Anyone that's spent any amount of time on these boards knows what the President said is correct.

Romney's entire Middle East plan is broad and hawkish, and shows he doesn't fully understand what it takes to get people putting their guns down and talking.

Did we even hear Mitt mention anything about our veterans and people with PTSD? I think this is serious issue America will have to face once we're done in Afghanistan.

posted on Oct, 23 2012 @ 07:06 PM
link   
reply to post by illuminated0ne

And the fact that you don't have a clue as to how the Navy operates demonstrates your significant lack of intelligence as well.
It has nothing to do with "power". It has everything to do with placement and rotation. You can't place battlegroups with less ships, and keep them repaired, and keep the crews refreshed and be everywhere that you need to be. Slashing the defense budget is a stupid mistake and will be costly in the future (my prediction if Obummer wins)

posted on Oct, 23 2012 @ 07:07 PM
link   
reply to post by timetothink

Yes, but if they stopped doing the training back in 2010, what is the point?

This is an example of runaway defense spending that needs to stop.
edit on 23-10-2012 by MystikMushroom because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 23 2012 @ 07:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by masqua
reply to post by butcherguy

I guess you missed that bit about a 'bayonet' being something being attached to the business end of a rifle and used much like a spear. These days, with automatic weapons, it's far easier to just shoot a few rounds rather than sticking your assault rifle into an enemy combatant and then having to do the 'struggling to pull it out again' dance.

That's why bayonet drills were dropped from training.

You can call a knife a bayonet if you like, though.
You are pretty snarky for a moderator.

Maybe you can take a break from that and read up on bayonets. I posted a link.

They still mount on the end of a rifle,
They are multiple-function tools.....

And they still call them, get this......

Bayonets.

Why do you think they manufacture them with the ability to mount them onto a rifle? It is to use them as a spear.

They aren't just knives.

posted on Oct, 23 2012 @ 07:09 PM
link   
"The ships are gone"

Those in the know say we need at least 300 water vessels for our Navy to be safe and effective.

There are 12 carriers, by law. Today they are all nuclear powered. The last two conventional carriers, Kennedy and Kitty Hawk, were decommissioned several years ago; my son-in-law decommissioned both ships.

After all arrangements were made to decommission Kitty, he was instructed to call the ceremony something else because its replacement had not passed sea trials and therefore the Navy would violate the law by having only 11 operating carriers.

So they had a legend ceremony.

Shortly after, only the CO and one or two sailors remained. Four months later the last crew member, the CO, received a message to transfer from the ship. So for four months the Navy had a commissioned carrier, dead and no crew.

Now to the meat. If you were to ask our citizens "How big is our U.S. Navy?" you would receive all kinds of answers. Most would be large numbers, like 1,000 ships. Actually, it is 278, plus or minus -- the smallest number in some 80 years. There are 340 admirals, plus or minus a few.

The Sixth Fleet has one ship, and I don't think it has any guns or missiles. I'm not sure where that destroyer came from. The No. 1 one priority for our Navy, as demanded by the chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, Adm. Mullen, and the chief of naval operations, Adm. Roughead, is diversity. They are busy doing other things.

Our people have been put to sleep since the 1993 base closures, when the Navy lied to us about the size of the fleet. It was then 450, and nobody said anything when it dropped below 300. Where are the Kings, Halseys, Nimitzes and Burkes? We now have no warriors, only managers. James A. Kenney Capt., U.S. Navy (Retired)

www.postandcourier.com...

posted on Oct, 23 2012 @ 07:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by hangedman13 A bayonet is also handy to prevent the barrel from getting into mud and such.

So are horses.

Honestly, I can just imagine a platoon advancing through brush in single file. It wouldn't do to stop quickly, would it? I think the word is prickly.

posted on Oct, 23 2012 @ 07:11 PM
link   
reply to post by butcherguy

And often times the CO's tell the soldiers to leave them in their boxes so they are easier to inventory.

Most Maries and Army guys have a multi-tool (Leatherman) and maybe a nice fixed blade. A bayonet is a waste.

That is, unless your name is William Wallace.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join