It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ryan: "I just don't understand" bayonet remark

page: 13
<< 10  11  12    14  15  16 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 24 2012 @ 08:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by DZAG Wright

Originally posted by butcherguy

Originally posted by masqua
reply to post by butcherguy

I guess you missed that bit about a 'bayonet' being something being attached to the business end of a rifle and used much like a spear. These days, with automatic weapons, it's far easier to just shoot a few rounds rather than sticking your assault rifle into an enemy combatant and then having to do the 'struggling to pull it out again' dance.

That's why bayonet drills were dropped from training.

You can call a knife a bayonet if you like, though.
You are pretty snarky for a moderator.

Maybe you can take a break from that and read up on bayonets. I posted a link.

They still mount on the end of a rifle,
They are multiple-function tools.....

And they still call them, get this......

Bayonets.

Why do you think they manufacture them with the ability to mount them onto a rifle? It is to use them as a spear.

They aren't just knives.

I'm a veteran of the Army and NO we do not use bayonets...case closed.

jesus, i hope not!....one question...do they train you in close-combat situations with a hand-held all-purpose knife?

posted on Oct, 24 2012 @ 08:38 AM
link   
reply to post by FlyersFan

Sure lets talk about Obama and transparency if that's what you'd like to talk about, I have no problem with it. But first you'd have to do as I asked and outline Mitt's policy for me, I asked first remember. Or you can continue on the path you have which is the path of not stating anything factual. Keep it up your doing the conservative base proud.

posted on Oct, 24 2012 @ 08:40 AM
link   
reply to post by FlyersFan

Also in reference to your second post, keep telling yourself that, your track record says otherwise. Pro-life, pro-religion, always anti-democrat, but yeah your not a conservative type at all because I see all of your 'Romney's' and idiot threads to balance the playing field. Great work!

posted on Oct, 24 2012 @ 08:42 AM
link   
reply to post by ManBehindTheMask

Yes, got to love all the armchair servicemen.

If you think I forgot about the close quarters fighting in our most recent wars, you are highly mistaken. Yes, a bayonet can be extremely useful when clearing houses, but it can also be an extreme nuisance. Generally, when you are indoors, turning corners, and walking through doorways, it's best to have a weapon with a short length. Fixing a bayonet to the end of a rifle only increases the length of the weapon, and makes it more difficult to maneuver through small places like when clearing houses that don't follow any normal standards of construction.

What do you know about that?
edit on 24-10-2012 by illuminated0ne because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 24 2012 @ 08:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by jimmyx

Originally posted by butcherguy

Originally posted by masqua
reply to post by butcherguy

I guess you missed that bit about a 'bayonet' being something being attached to the business end of a rifle and used much like a spear. These days, with automatic weapons, it's far easier to just shoot a few rounds rather than sticking your assault rifle into an enemy combatant and then having to do the 'struggling to pull it out again' dance.

That's why bayonet drills were dropped from training.

You can call a knife a bayonet if you like, though.
You are pretty snarky for a moderator.

Maybe you can take a break from that and read up on bayonets. I posted a link.

They still mount on the end of a rifle,
They are multiple-function tools.....

And they still call them, get this......

Bayonets.

Why do you think they manufacture them with the ability to mount them onto a rifle? It is to use them as a spear.

They aren't just knives.

I'm a veteran of the Army and NO we do not use bayonets...case closed.

jesus, i hope not!....one question...do they train you in close-combat situations with a hand-held all-purpose knife?

Depends upon your unit and mission....the general troops, I don't believe so, if so it isn't extensive in the least.

posted on Oct, 24 2012 @ 08:53 AM
link   
reply to post by ColeYounger

Obama's remarks were undignified in the extreme and unbefitting a president.
"We have things called aircraft carriers that planes land on."
Obama need to talk with Romney like this, so that rich spoiled clown will understand ...

posted on Oct, 24 2012 @ 08:58 AM
link   
I'm sorry I didn't know that going across the planet BLOWING UP PEOPLES FAMILIES AND DEVASTATING THEIR INFRASTRUCTURE WAS SAVING MY F****NG LIFE!!!! You are truly pathetic. YOU are pathetic. There is not one single legitimate reason why US soldiers are in the middle east. Any hatred towards America from the middle east came about because we went there in the first place and started blowing things up and toppling governments.

Who are we fighting? The Taliban that was initially backed by the US government to fight off the soviets in proxy wars during the (still ongoing) cold war?

Here's a hypothetical scenario for you to wrap your head around: Imagine China said that a group of US terrorists blew up some buildings in China. By parallel logic, anyone supporting the US invasion of Afghanistan should welcome Chinese soldiers marching in our streets to look for the terrorists. By parallel logic, supporters should sit back quietly as Chinese attack drones blow up our cities. And when a big fat missile blows up your family you better not pick up a rifle and become an insurgent against them, because you support the exact same thing they're doing if you support the US invasion of Afghanistan.

How typical of zealous warmongers to believe that blowing people up makes the world a peaceful freaking place. Violent people are ignorant.
reply to post by Dystopiaphiliac

You deserve much more star than 2 for your comment. It was a great example !

posted on Oct, 24 2012 @ 09:18 AM
link   
And Romney didn't understand why airplanes don't have windows that you can open. These guys would be laughed out of politics anywhere in Europe. In the USA, they represent top candidates. Sometimes I feel so sorry for you America..
edit on 24-10-2012 by rhinoceros because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 24 2012 @ 09:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by ColeYounger
Obama's remarks were undignified in the extreme and unbefitting a president.
"We have things called aircraft carriers that planes land on." It was immature, really bush-league.
Our society has become so ignorant that rude, snotty, and mannerless people are looked upon as "assertive" or "confident".

Seriously...it was like watching some smarmy, know-it-all college brat.

lol over look the countless ads broadcasted over media by both parties
its part of the game of BS election process put one down to make yourself look better.

elections are a joke especially when people get their "fact" from BIAS news channels like fox news
edit on 24-10-2012 by 3xil3 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 24 2012 @ 09:48 AM
link   

Fix bayonets! -

BHO talks like a fool! 2nd only to Joe Biden! I guess they learn fron each other

Perhaps the Chinese know more about the subject of BAYONET warfare than does BHO - Do they looked outdated to you?
Oh I get it - they are for decoration only - right ?

And it looks like the Marines were using bayonets in the Gulf War

edit on 24-10-2012 by Vitruvian because: txt

posted on Oct, 24 2012 @ 10:01 AM
link   
reply to post by Vitruvian

...and what is the point of your post?

Obama didn't say nobody uses bayonets. He said we use them less.

posted on Oct, 24 2012 @ 10:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by illuminated0ne
reply to post by SrWingCommander

President Obama never claimed anyone stopped using bayonets. He said we use less bayonets, which is true.

Bayonets are generally for close quarters fighting. War has changed, and tactics have changed, weapons have changed, and fighting from a distance has become the norm. So there is less and less close quarters fighting, and less need for a bayonet.

Originally posted by illuminated0ne

...and what is the point of your post? Obama didn't say nobody uses bayonets. He said we use them less.

NOT TRUE - whoever says that is intentionally mis-stating the facts. here for 'bayonet' post seen below............

Originally posted by Vitruvian

Fix bayonets! -

BHO talks like a fool! 2nd only to Joe Biden! I guess they learn fron each other

Perhaps the Chinese know more about the subject of BAYONET warfare than does BHO - Do they looked outdated to you?
Oh I get it - they are for decoration only - right ?

And it looks like the Marines were using bayonets in the Gulf War

posted on Oct, 24 2012 @ 10:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by redtic
reply to post by buster2010

I was going to post about this because I was incensed, but not surprised, by the ignorant spin the right tries to put to these types of comments. Here's what Eric Cantor said:

Mr. President, for the thousands of Virginians in the Navy family, cutting our naval forces isn't a game of battleship.

It's obvious to anyone half-intelligent that the president was referring to the changing requirements - technology has changed, situations have changed, so the requirements for what constitutes a strong navy have changed - it's not just about numbers. Romney obviously looked at the numbers and said "umm, less is bad", without understanding what those numbers actually mean. But, like I said, I shouldn't be surprised. All of what Obama said on this subject last night was a valid retort to the uninformed comments that Romney made.

The Right: "Government doesn't create jobs!!!"
Obama: "going to streamline our fleet, higher tech, less of em"
The Right: "The Government has a responsibility to create jobs!!!"

what nutcases

_____
Anyhow, for the response to the thread in general.
If someone doesn't understand the jist of what Obama was saying, your not fit to operate anything above and beyond a manual can opener..even then, perhaps only with supervision. Of course the right is angry about the comment. When you have been "zinged", it hurts...you go running home crying about the mean kids making fun of you, etc...Dems felt this way when Reagen did his whole "there you go again".

posted on Oct, 24 2012 @ 10:10 AM
link   

Fix bayonets! -

Assuming you didn't understand what Obama was saying then. yep.

no electric can openers for you.

Should he have said broadswords and chain mail armor in order for you not to get lost in the example and completely miss the point?

Well, most of America got it...the fringe rarely gets jokes though. (either side)

posted on Oct, 24 2012 @ 10:13 AM
link   

Who know's if the Chinese use bayonets...we don't.

And that photo of U.S. troops doesn't look like a deployed unit too me. They appear to still be in training.

WE DON'T USE BAYONET'S!!!

As someone else said, when was the last time the order "Fix Bayonet's" was given?

I never heard it...

Looking at the photo again...actually the Chinese bayonets do appear to be decoration. They appear to be at some ceremony. Those are not their battle weapons...
edit on 24-10-2012 by DZAG Wright because: To add on

posted on Oct, 24 2012 @ 10:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by SaturnFX

Fix bayonets! -

Should he have said broadswords and chain mail armor in order for you not to get lost in the example and completely miss the point?

Well, most of America got it...the fringe rarely gets jokes though. (either side)

Actually it would have been far better for him to have kept his foul and arrogant mouth shut. He dug his hole deeper yet in trying the denigrate and to mock the FUTURE PRESIDENT OF THE UNITED STATES

REPEAT Vitruvian quote just for good measure - "BHO talks like a fool! 2nd only to Joe Biden! I guess they learn from each other "

posted on Oct, 24 2012 @ 10:15 AM
link   
reply to post by MystikMushroom

Hey, I like Romney, but your pic of him as a "Gangsta" is toooo funny.LOL

posted on Oct, 24 2012 @ 10:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by SaturnFX

Fix bayonets! -

Actually it would have been far better for him to have kept his foul and arrogant mouth shut. He dug his hole deeper yet in trying the denigrate and to mock the FUTURE PRESIDENT OF THE UNITED STATES

posted on Oct, 24 2012 @ 10:23 AM
link   

Who know's if the Chinese use bayonets...we don't.

And that photo of U.S. troops doesn't look like a deployed unit too me. They appear to still be in training.

WE DON'T USE BAYONET'S!!!

As someone else said, when was the last time the order "Fix Bayonet's" was given?

I never heard it...

Looking at the photo again...actually the Chinese bayonets do appear to be decoration. They appear to be at some ceremony. Those are not their battle weapons...
edit on 24-10-2012 by DZAG Wright because: To add on

LINK TO PHOTO - VA: Virginians joust with Obama over bayonets, horses, ships

1996 DEPLOYMENT OFFICIAL PHOTO

BTW - I am a disabled veteran and we used bayonets!!! We trained with them and we carried them at all times - either fixed on in the scabbard!!!
edit on 24-10-2012 by Vitruvian because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 24 2012 @ 10:24 AM
link   

reply to post by DZAG Wright

Use the slider under the pic. The Marines in the photo are training on the flight deck of a ship. Ships are used to deploy Marines. Whether or not they are going on a deployment or not, I can not say for certain, but your phrase 'Still in training' causes me to wonder what familiarity you have with the military. Training is a never ending thing in the military.

top topics

<< 10  11  12    14  15  16 >>

join