It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Terrified of roller coasters...help!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 23 2012 @ 10:05 AM
link   
Okay, my family and I are planning on going to Busch Gardens in Williamsburg VA this coming weekend for their annual Howl O Scream event, and while there, they're planning on riding the many coasters there, but not I, I'm absolutely terrified of roller coasters, I'm scared of the fact a car jumping off the tracks and plummeting to my death.
Please tell me: how safe are roller coasters? Can something like this happen today?
How do I get over my fear?

posted on Oct, 23 2012 @ 10:09 AM
link   
reply to post by HomerinNC

Haven't you seen Final Destination with the rollercoaster!!!!

Arrrrghhhhh

I also HATE them.

Will not go on them

posted on Oct, 23 2012 @ 10:11 AM
link   

Just work your way up. Start with the calmest coasters, then progress at your own speed.

And it's okay to sit some out. After watching two people flip over a Ferris Wheel cart and DIE, I no longer go on Ferris Wheels.

posted on Oct, 23 2012 @ 10:12 AM
link   
That's the whole point of a roller coaster. Good ones scare the crap out of you. I don't like any of them I ever see. Ride everyone tho. I guess of boils down to the fear of not being in control.

posted on Oct, 23 2012 @ 10:13 AM
link   

More you know about those, more scared you will be.

posted on Oct, 23 2012 @ 10:14 AM
link   
reply to post by smyleegrl

The Ferris Wheel.

Scariest ride ever.
edit on 23/10/2012 by 03Smoker because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 23 2012 @ 10:14 AM
link   

Just do it.

Once you're on, you're on. You'll be frightened as all hell, sure, but once you're on the track there is no getting off. Roller Coasters provide one of the best experiences in way of facing a fear. If one straps themselves in and forces confrontation, then confrontation will occur. If you live, 99.999999999999999999999..........999999% chance, then you'll be better off. You'll know that you can do it, and that the risks are minimal at best. I'd be more afraid of getting in a car or an air plane to be honest. Also, I do think you have better chances of being abducted by the Zeta Reticulans than to be killed in a Roller Coaster derailment accident.

Go out there, strap yourself in, and learn to "go with the flow." You'll be fine. Unless you go into shock or cardiac arrest from your inability to handle the experience well (this is also unlikely).

Have fun this weekend.

EDIT: Be sure to defecate and urinate before hand. I can't stress this enough, especially if you're...well...you. Other than that...you're gold.
edit on 23-10-2012 by TheOneElectric because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 23 2012 @ 10:15 AM
link   
The best way to describe roller coasters and other thrill rides is this:

They are designed to give the maximum thrill and experience of danger possible, while also being as safe to the riders as possible.

Roller coaster accidents are pretty rare, and usually result in no injuries or fatalities. The biggest concern is getting stuck on a coaster. That happened to me once, but it was freed within a few minutes. These are constructions that operate for thousands of people a day. If they broke down and injured people on the regular every theme park would be out of business in a season.

I used to be terrified of them as well. I wouldn't go on anything that looked too tall, steep, or had any sort of inversion. That was four years ago, before my girlfriend (now wife) made me go on them. Now I can't go a summer without going to Cedar Point at least a dozen times. We get the season pass!

posted on Oct, 23 2012 @ 10:16 AM
link   

Most amusement parks, the stationary ones that is, not the travelling ones, are held up to pretty high standards when it comes to safety. Sure, we all see on the news that one or two times something goes wrong, but they never report the millions of rides that end safely.

Think of it this way....

you have a higher chance of being struck by lightning while crossing a street and being hit by a bus than you do dying on a roller coaster.

That said, the only way to negate the tiny risk is to not take it. But what is life without risk? Do you eat out at restaurants? That's risky.

Personally if you are honestly terrified, i wouldn't go on them, maybe just a small easy to handle one. I have an issue with heights. It's not that I'm scared of them outright, but I tend to get vertigo, and also my mind can race a mile a minute thinking of all the things that could possibly go wrong. It THAT which instills fear in me, not the height itself. And only by forcing myself into those positions over and over, have I been able to pretty much overcome it.

posted on Oct, 23 2012 @ 10:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by HomerinNC
Okay, my family and I are planning on going to Busch Gardens in Williamsburg VA this coming weekend for their annual Howl O Scream event, and while there, they're planning on riding the many coasters there, but not I, I'm absolutely terrified of roller coasters, I'm scared of the fact a car jumping off the tracks and plummeting to my death.
Please tell me: how safe are roller coasters? Can something like this happen today?
How do I get over my fear?

well, it's quite simple really.
you take the amount of money spent on construction, add the amount of money spent on legal fee's to get said "ride" open to the public, (as all public accessible things come under a million different rules and regulations so everyone gets a piece of the pie).
Now times that by a law suite against the owners/stake holders, the builders and insurance company if even the slightest thing were to go wrong.
Sorry for ruining this for anyone but there is noway in hell you will die on a roller coaster unless the "death" himself steps in and throws you from the car!
by the way that reminds me of this incident, unrelated to roller coasters.

au.news.yahoo.com...

The woman was thrown from the car and hit by another vehicle driven by a 24-year-old woman.

"While police could not confirm that the woman was not wearing her seatbelt, Inspector Blair said "clearly there is a reason why this lady was ejected from the vehicle".

have fun bro

posted on Oct, 23 2012 @ 11:02 AM
link   

Roller coasters used to be my thing. One trip to Six Flags years ago, the park was near closing and totally dead. The operator let us ride it over and over again without even getting off. I remember just sitting back enjoying the evening breeze in my face. It was so peaceful.

Now? I'm terrified of them!

The worst is that first, slow incline reaching the top. Once they get going at full speed it's alright. But I hate that initial slow-as-dirt up-up-up climb with the chains grinding! Yuck!

posted on Oct, 23 2012 @ 11:12 AM
link   
When I have finished my studies I worked for a big international park at a roller coaster. Well, I can assure you that rollercoasters mechanism is REALLY secure.

Trains are controlled at nearly every run, there is a safety system to stop the train if something goes wrong, if maximum speed is more than normal train stops.

So no, at 99,9999.......% your vehicle can't detach from rails and fly over the sky. The only thing that can happen during or after (or during AND after) is...ehm..vomit

Enjoy rollercoasters!

edit on 23-10-2012 by Ooahn because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 23 2012 @ 11:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by AshleyD
The worst is that first, slow incline reaching the top. Once they get going at full speed it's alright. But I hate that initial slow-as-dirt up-up-up climb with the chains grinding! Yuck!

Ashley you really would not like the Wild Eagle at Dollywood. Just thinking about that slow climb has my stomach in knots. It's the first drop, completely terrifying and I LOVE IT!!!

The Wild Eagle is a wing rider. The track is positioned under the center of the cars, so feet dangle.

Here's a POV video. (video is kinda deceiving, you really do not notice the track that much when it is in motion.)

posted on Oct, 23 2012 @ 11:37 AM
link   

how safe are roller coasters? Can something like this happen today? How do I get over my fear?

Have you ever considered that every time you ride in an automobile you are surrounded/passed by hundreds of vehicles that could potentially crash into you?

You are FAR more likely to be in a car accident than in an amusement park accident.

posted on Oct, 23 2012 @ 11:41 AM
link   

The best way to overcome your fear is to JUST DO IT!

I wasn't very fond of roller coasters growing up. They scared the bejeeses out of me. That changed when I met my husband, who is a roller coaster junkie. He has dragged me onto any and every kind/size of roller coaster that you can imagine. At first I would close my eyes and hang onto him for dear life. After the first few years it changed to me dragging him to ride because he wasn't moving fast enough! Riding roller coasters is one of my favorite things to do, the scarier the better!

My advice is similar to others here: make sure to hit the restroom before you ride, also don't eat before you ride if you have a weak stomach. And don't psych yourself out- as soon as you get to the park go for the biggest, baddest coaster they have. The longer you wait the more you freak yourself out. Besides, after "the big one" the rest of the coasters will be child's play. The best way to overcome your fears is to face them head on- then you won't be afraid anymore!

posted on Oct, 23 2012 @ 11:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by OneisOne
[

No... No... No!

My heart was literally palpitating while watching that.

posted on Oct, 23 2012 @ 11:51 AM
link   
thanks guys, appreciate the morale boosts, I will do it and report back on sunday if i live lol

posted on Oct, 23 2012 @ 12:01 PM
link   

I have spend some time at an amusement park filming for a travel show and I can tell you, the one I was at is very safe. They run daily checks on the coasters before anyone can board. If there is even a hint something could be wrong, the ride is shutdown until they get it sorted. Some parks even have people walk/climb the entire track daily as part of the safety check.

Are there kids going with you? If so and you are too afraid to ride the coasters then you can be the designated kid wrangler while everyone else rides.

Either way.... HAVE FUN!!!

edit on 23-10-2012 by OneisOne because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 23 2012 @ 12:03 PM
link   
reply to post by OneisOne

lol ALL the kids go on, i'm the big chicken

posted on Oct, 23 2012 @ 12:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by HomerinNC
reply to post by OneisOne

lol ALL the kids go on, i'm the big chicken

Hey I understand!!

Some fears are hard to get over. For me it's the ferris wheel. I'd ride any roller coaster before that abomination any day!

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join