Help ATS with a contribution via PayPal:
learn more

Gap Theory A Legitimate Explanation For Lost/Unexplainable Civilizations?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join

posted on Oct, 23 2012 @ 09:29 AM
link   
Although some aspects of this post will involve the mention of religious references, this is not intended to be a religious discussion, and you'll see what I mean as you read.

To start, my stepfather is a pastor and he and my mother along with many Christians (not sure if followers of other religions believe this) believe in The Gap Theory, which is mainly derived from the discrepancies in the first two verses of Genesis, and is the belief that the Earth we all know now is not the first and only creation of this planet and has gone through at least one re-creation since the original creation. They believe dinosaurs and the like existed on this previous Earth, or at least one of the previous Earths if you believe it's gone through destruction and rebirth on multiple occasions as I am starting to believe.

Now taking the religious aspect out of it, as I believe it's not solely a religious discussion but a historical one, it makes sense to me that a large part of the disagreement and arguments that arise between scientists, historians, scholars, etc. as to the age of the planet as well as the age of ancient and lost civilizations is due to this destruction and rebirth, and the distorting of measurable data, and could also explain why so many ancient civilizations seem to be so advanced beyond what we perceive of their capabilities at the time.

Now, whether you are a creationist, atheist, religious or non-religious, I think most of us will agree that there is more than enough evidence to suggest that this planet has undergone at least one destruction in the past in the form of a great flood, as we not only have the physical evidence, but an abundance of evidence in the legends and annals of many different civilizations' history as well. I'm no scientist, but what I do know of science, tells me that something of that sort happening would cause a lot of confusion and distortion with certain scientific forms of dating, and also could displace a lot of artifacts and physical evidence to other places by simply carrying it and leaving it in other locations once the waters receded.

Now to get to the most interesting part of the subject to me, which is ancient and lost civilizations being far more advanced than we perceive. Other civilizations speak not only of a great flood, but also of multiple destructive occurrences in the past, such as the Hopi who believe the earth has been destroyed and reborn three times before. If this is true, which I'm leaning toward it being true, that would be a perfect explanation IMO as to why we have so many questions and arguments about ancient civilizations. In the past 20 years we've discovered more evidence to suggest the ancients were far more advanced in almost every aspect than we ever thought possible, and I personally believe the reason we we've been so dumb on the subject is the fact that most of the evidence has been wiped from history and all we have to go on is what was left over, which is mainly their structures, as that would be about the only thing that could withstand such an event, and little to nothing of any written history or evidence of the tools or technology they would have had at the time.

In closing I would like to add that the argument over the age of the planet itself could also largely be due to just not taking into consideration that this could very well not be the only planet we've had. For instance, there's the argument between the religious who believe the planet is only 8,000 or so years old and those who believe it's billions of years old. Well what if it's both? What if the Sumerians, which is believed to be the beginning of modern, sophisticated civilizations, was just the new beginning, and the structures and civilizations we are discovering now that some are dating to be tens of thousands of years older than the Sumerians are remnants of the former incarnation(s) of this planet and all we have to go on to date our current existence is what we've found once the old history was lost and forgotten and our planet's current history began again. Just something to think about, I hope you enjoy.

edit on 23-10-2012 by MadhatterTheGreat because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 23 2012 @ 09:35 AM
link   
reply to post by MadhatterTheGreat

I am 65 years old and only once before ran across this theory. In my young mind (I was a teenager at the time), the theory answered many questions. I mentioned my age only because the preacher I heard this from is likely long gone by now.

posted on Oct, 23 2012 @ 09:36 AM
link   

Ok, i will be the first to bite. Where is the evidence for this great worldwide flood? Geologically speaking, it isn't there.........unless you know something different?

posted on Oct, 23 2012 @ 09:47 AM
link   

posted on Oct, 23 2012 @ 09:52 AM
link   

Link not working. This is something of a pet subject of mine........there is plentiful evidence for regional sea level rise at varying times for varying locations. For example, whilst levels were rising in the Mediterranean / Bosphorus / Black Sea region, they weren't in the Caribbean - that happened later.

So yes, sea levels have risen but never in one massive global flood. Indeed, even in the Barents region alone there were several Meltwater pulse events after the end of the last Ice Age - the first being around 14'000 years ago and the second not until 7'000 years ago. That is a huge time frame for mankind!

Aside from anything else, the science is dodgy. For example, where did all this water to create a global flood appear from?

ETA:

The Woods Hole Institute have various source material on this topic, from various locations around the world. Unfortunately, finding it again will involve a trawl through their archive materials and i simply do not have the time at the moment. Anyone that wants to though, there is your start point.
edit on 23-10-2012 by Flavian because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 23 2012 @ 10:01 AM
link   
Okay, here is my first question, even the first which came to my mind:

Why are there traces of prior subjects, if the world was destroyed? Oh, you meant "destroyed", not like with a star-destroyer or a supernova, but just kind of washed-over, just a clean up of the crust, right?

Next question:
There IS an abundance of tales of great floods, I agree. Nevertheless, not very many of them are dated to even the same millenium, lest the same century. Maybe they were local floods?

Next question:
Do you suggest that the layers of sediment found in different mountainous areas around the world are from the same source, a huge mega-flood? There is no indication of that, as there are usually numerous other sediment-layers around those traces showing that there were a lot of flat oceans, but in very different times.

In conclusion, I have doubts. There are many indications of oceans (as an alternative naming of those "floods") in earths eons, and there are many tales of floods in myths. Nevertheless I doubt that there is a relation between those two. (Even if I neglect the large amounts of time it took for sedimentlayers with lots of wateranimal bones in them to build up, which took lots more time than the whole human history beginning with Lucy..)

posted on Oct, 23 2012 @ 10:22 AM
link   
Both of you are just focusing on the fact I mentioned one thing, which is the flood, or floods, but that's not even what most of the post is about, which is your opinions on the earth being destroyed, by any means, in the past and just leaving remnants and pieces of history behind for us to sift through and try to make of it what we can. There would be a lot of myth and legend involved, as well as theories without hard data, but much of what we believe to be true now is based on theories.

posted on Oct, 23 2012 @ 10:51 AM
link   

Nice! The Same theory I tend to lean towards myself. I would explain the Disappearance of Older Civilizations through Flooding with the "World" keeping itself in check. We are Living as parasites on this Beautiful planet. A Pole Shift could explain the world wide flood story, and why we don't find all the evidence we need for proof of older Civilizations.most is on the ocean floor.
Thank you for this Thread! S&F.. '
'

posted on Oct, 23 2012 @ 11:31 AM
link   

howdy Madhatter

Nah

Unless this or those gods have a sense of humour I don't find your theory that supportable, unless your Hindu

A number of people have already challenged the myth of a flood, regional floods yes world wide flood, no

In the past 20 years we've discovered more evidence to suggest the ancients were far more advanced in almost every aspect than we ever thought possible, and I personally believe the reason we we've been so dumb on the subject is the fact that most of the evidence has been wiped from history and all we have to go on is what was left over, which is mainly their structures, as that would be about the only thing that could withstand such an event, and little to nothing of any written history or evidence of the tools or technology they would have had at the time.

Its hard to 'wipe from history' without leaving traces of that wipe. I would question what you are using as the basis of the claim above, what do you mean 'more advanced'?

posted on Oct, 23 2012 @ 11:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by MadhatterTheGreat
Although some aspects of this post will involve the mention of religious references, this is not intended to be a religious discussion, and you'll see what I mean as you read.

This could turn out to be an interesting discussion.

They believe dinosaurs and the like existed on this previous Earth, or at least one of the previous Earths if you believe it's gone through destruction and rebirth on multiple occasions as I am starting to believe.

Well in a way Earth has. There were several mass extinctions and die offs in Earth's history. So in that regards it's true. {From a certain point of view}

could also explain why so many ancient civilizations seem to be so advanced beyond what we perceive of their capabilities at the time.

How advanced?

Advanced in megalithic construction methods before what is accepted? Bronze age level of development a few thousand years earlier than is accepted? Knowledge of astronomy in periods of human history well before it is generally recognized academically?

Or.

Are we talking lost tech {Microchip} level or higher? How about a knowledge of free energy and a level of tech that isn't so clunky as our latest advanced tech?

I think most of us will agree that there is more than enough evidence to suggest that this planet has undergone at least one destruction in the past in the form of a great flood, as we not only have the physical evidence, but an abundance of evidence in the legends and annals of many different civilizations' history as well.

I balk at the idea of a complete global flood covering the entire surface of the planet but agree that many scattered tales of large floods {Which would have appeared to the locals as their whole world flooding out } was caused mainly by the last of the ice age melt off where small, medium and large cultures, civilizations and simple villagers scattered all across the globe {Each at varying levels of development, some more advanced that others} had to pack up and move inland or up fresh water river valleys as the coasts flooded out.

Now to get to the most interesting part of the subject to me, which is ancient and lost civilizations being far more advanced than we perceive.

I'm as open minded as one could get on this topic. However, Where are the physical evidence? Where is the examples that they reached our level of tech? If they did have higher tech but different than what we use would we recognize it as such? I liked the Pyramid codes conjecture on this subject. Were the ancient aware of a different type of higher tech that we the modern world simply have not utilized? {Which wouldn't require or have left behind evidence of the clunky tech we use} I can't help but wonder if Tesla was right about certain things.

Just something to think about, I hope you enjoy.

Thank you.
S & F
edit on 23-10-2012 by SLAYER69 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 23 2012 @ 12:05 PM
link   
I'll reply in greater detail when I have the time, but to answer a few points...

As far as the flooding is concerned, the legends of their being a great flood(s) in the past that was just centralized to their locations is a very valid and plausible point, and one I will have to think about further as I may need to change my own position. Secondly, I'm not saying the ancients had far superior tech than we have now or anything of the sort, I'm saying they were probably far more advanced than the simpletons we make them out to be. Take the Egyptians for instance, there's no way they built the Pyramids with the tools we are told they had at the time. I'm not saying they used laser precision or had alien intervention or anything of that sort, I'm simply saying they were far advanced beyond the hammer and chisel we credit them with, and had a greater knowledge of astronomy and other sciences that we are just beginning to learn they possessed.

posted on Oct, 23 2012 @ 12:14 PM
link   

I'll reply in greater detail when I have the time, but to answer a few points...

As far as the flooding is concerned, the legends of their being a great flood(s) in the past that was just centralized to their locations is a very valid and plausible point, and one I will have to think about further as I may need to change my own position. Secondly, I'm not saying the ancients had far superior tech than we have now or anything of the sort, I'm saying they were probably far more advanced than the simpletons we make them out to be.

Who exactly makes them out to be 'simpletons'? That went out in 19th century once they started finding the great civilizations

Take the Egyptians for instance, there's no way they built the Pyramids with the tools we are told they had at the time.

So who built those 100+ pyramids - the quarries show how they took out the stones, by bashing, crude but effective

I'm not saying they used laser precision or had alien intervention or anything of that sort, I'm simply saying they were far advanced beyond the hammer and chisel we credit them with, and had a greater knowledge of astronomy and other sciences that we are just beginning to learn they possessed.

They actually used other stones to bash them out and may also have used spliting techniques. We've known about their knowledge (and other civilizations) about astronomy for a long time, for the Maya the Dresden Codex, Egyptian architecture and other writings like the chart Senemut's tomb, and Sumerian and later civilizations writings on the matters

posted on Oct, 23 2012 @ 12:30 PM
link   

As far as the flooding is concerned, the legends of their being a great flood(s) in the past that was just centralized to their locations is a very valid and plausible point, and one I will have to think about further as I may need to change my own position. Secondly, I'm not saying the ancients had far superior tech than we have now or anything of the sort, I'm saying they were probably far more advanced than the simpletons we make them out to be

I agree with Hans on this one. Simpletons? They accomplished a great deal on their own that we in the modern world still find amazing. Suffice it to say the dates of early accomplishments and developments are contentiously being pushed back further in time.

Take the Egyptians for instance, there's no way they built the Pyramids with the tools we are told they had at the time.

I disagree. Although I'm open to a possible age variance than is accepted I'm not about to throw in the towel on Ancient man's abilities. Now my question is the age not the methods...

How they built the Great Pyramids

I'm not saying they used laser precision or had alien intervention or anything of that sort, I'm simply saying they were far advanced beyond the hammer and chisel we credit them with, and had a greater knowledge of astronomy and other sciences that we are just beginning to learn they possessed.

You may find this thread of interest as well...

Who Were the Ancient Megalithic Builders?

posted on Oct, 23 2012 @ 12:50 PM
link   

Gap Theory A Legitimate Explanation For Lost/Unexplainable Civilizations?,

Because there exists not one whit of evidence for any "lost" or "unexplainable" civilization, this "gap theory" is a solution in search of a problem.

Sorry. This is simply bogus.

Harte

kix

posted on Oct, 23 2012 @ 12:55 PM
link   
Spin it all you like, geology, time and probability but if you go to ancient ruins like Giza or teothihuacan, you will get the disctintive feeling that these guys were way too much advanced for their time, that its IMPOSIBLE to build such structures and society without advanced techniques Ill show you 2 pics of Ruins that are not even famous google them you will be surprised.

My 2 cents this earth has been used over and over for purposes we dont know nothing about.

Calakmul

Now dont you find it funny about this explanation:
I remind you that this notice was put there by official archaeological bureau of Mexico....

So what do you think?

posted on Oct, 23 2012 @ 01:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by kix
Spin it all you like, geology, time and probability but if you go to ancient ruins like Giza or teothihuacan, you will get the disctintive feeling that these guys were way too much advanced for their time, that its IMPOSIBLE to build such structures and society without advanced techniques Ill show you 2 pics of Ruins that are not even famous google them you will be surprised.

Howdy Kix

I've been to both and they seem well within human capacity using the tools archaeology has shown up and their is a progression of construction, from humble beginning to more advanced.

My 2 cents this earth has been used over and over for purposes we dont know nothing about.

That seems to be a common belief but it's unsupported by the evidence

Now dont you find it funny about this explanation:
I remind you that this notice was put there by official archaeological bureau of Mexico....

They probably wrote that because of continual dunning they get from poorly educated tourists......mainly by naive gringos who were 'told' to believe this by fringe websites and TV shows, lol

edit on 23/10/12 by Hanslune because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 23 2012 @ 01:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by Flavian

Ok, i will be the first to bite. Where is the evidence for this great worldwide flood? Geologically speaking, it isn't there.........unless you know something different?

Actually it is there. We are in between ice ages right now. Hopefully "global warming" will stave off the next one, else we are in serious trouble. When the last ice age was at its peak a lot of water was sucked up into ice in the northern hemisphere, so much so that the sea level was considerably lower than it is now.

When the ice started to melt it melted over the water faster than the land. That's because water is a giant heat sink. The land surrounding the water was actually colder. If you've ever seen Lake Michigan in winter you kow what I mean. The same is true around Hudson Bay. If the ice covering Hudson Bay during the last ice age melted it would have been held back by the considerable ice still on land, which acted as a giant dam.

The dam finally melts. The dam breaks, The water from Hudson Bay is released into the ocean. The sea level rises 60 feet in a matter of hours, thus inundating coastal cities all over the world. Voila. The Flood.

This is not without precedent. Geologists now believe that the same thing happened in eastern Washington State when an ice dam in Canada broke and sent a torrent of water down the east side of the Cascade mountain range down the path of the Columbia River into the Pacific. That area is devoid of topsoil as it was carried away in the flood.

I don't buy into this Gap Theory at all. The Earth is between 4-5 billion years old. You simply don't need this theory to explain anything. But a flood? Of course.

posted on Oct, 23 2012 @ 10:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by schuyler
Originally posted by Flavian

The dam finally melts. The dam breaks, The water from Hudson Bay is released into the ocean. The sea level rises 60 feet in a matter of hours, thus inundating coastal cities all over the world. Voila. The Flood.

Howdy schyuler

Unfortunately it doesn't work that way, the volume of sea is unbelievably vast and the amount of melted fresh and sea water only a tiny tiny fraction of that, studies have been done that shows the water level going up 10 centimeters a year with 'surges' that would have raised the sea as tall as man - during his life time.

Massive ice sheets covered parts of North America, northern Europe, and several other regions during the last ice age. This huge volume of ice lowered global sea level by around 120 meters as compared to today. After the ice sheets began to melt and retreat, sea level rose rapidly, with several periods of even faster spurts. The first such spurt may have started about 19,000 years ago, at which time ocean levels rose 10-15 m in less than 500 years. However, this event is not seen in all past sea level records and new evidence suggests that ice melting may have begun much earlier. A more clearly-defined accelerated phase of sea level rise occurred between 14,600 to 13,500 years before present (termed "meltwater pulse 1A" or "MWP-1A" by Fairbanks in 1989), when sea level increased by some 16 to 24 m (see Figure 1). Although the meltwater was previously believed to have come chiefly from Antarctica, a recent reconstruction by Tarasov and Peltier of ice sheet retreat using a glacial model calibrated by a variety of data points instead to a largely North American source. Furthermore, diatom fossils in sediments from fjords in East Antarctica show that ice melting there began perhaps 3000 years later, thus ruling out Antarctica as a likely source

Link to meltwater study

edit on 23/10/12 by Hanslune because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 23 2012 @ 11:25 PM
link   
The Gap Theory could explain some, but not all, of the lost civilizations of the past, but a worldwide flood is certainly not supported by any evidence (only local floods). There are simply too many fallen civilizations at very diverse times for the Gap Theory to account for them all. For instance, a rather interesting collapse took place around the time that Moses was supposed to have walked the earth which is refered to as the Bronze Age Collapse, and such a period in time would have been long passed the proposed world flood as well as the time the events of the Gap Theory are proposed to have taken place.

posted on Oct, 23 2012 @ 11:51 PM
link   
reply to post by HillbillyHippie1

Do you base Moses being expelled at this time on Setnakhte expelling the Asiatic followers of Irsu? As noted in the Harris Papyrus I? Or some other source?

new topics

<<   2 >>

join